Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-27-2013   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 215632 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans earning respect of their peers at Pro Bowl

Hmmm......Watt at TE?........he is probably joking, but that would definitely be interesting for a couple of plays here and there during a game........a throw back to the 2-way iron man........

Quote:
Posted on January 26, 2013 at 11:16 pm by Tania Ganguli in Pro Bowl

AIEA, Hawaii — During one Pro Bowl practice, Texans cornerback Johnathan Joseph covered Texans receiver Andre Johnson. A few plays later, J.J. Watt lined up on offense.

“I’m trying to get coach (Gary) Kubiak to let me play tight end,” Watt said before putting his finger to his lips in a shushing gesture — can’t give away top-secret elements of a Pro Bowl game plan.

The pass that Denver quarterback Peyton Manning threw for Watt sailed over his head and out of the end zone with Watt unable to make the grab.

“My play was better than Arian’s attempted pass,” Watt countered of Foster.

Texans players have detected a bit of jealousy from others in the Pro Bowl this week.

“You get in the huddle and you look and you have two of your fellow linemen,” left tackle Duane Brown said. “Starting running back, quarterback, receiver in the same huddle. Lot of familiar faces. Lot of guys are jealous of that. They envy it. It’s a great feeling, and it says a lot about our team.”

The “no respect” mantra is one athletes use across the NFL and other sports. It can be a motivating factor for teams, sometimes players work to prove they or their teams are deserving of more respect than they get. Even when the Texans were 11-1, they talked of having to earn respect nationally.

Perception, they said, constantly maligns them.

(Well, not everyone said that: “Another man’s opinion of me is none of my business,” Foster said.)

The Pro Bowl is entirely about perception.

And even with a season that ended before they wanted it to end, and before internal and external expectations needed it to end, the Texans got heaps of respect from peers, coaches and fans.

Kudos to coaching staff
Quarterback Matt Schaub, Brown, Wade Smith and Chris Myers, Foster, Johnson and tight end Owen Daniels, who was an injury replacement, are in Hawaii. Watt and Joseph joined them on defense.

“Offense, it’s seven out of the 11 guys (in a huddle); that’s pretty impressive,” Myers said. “That’s something that’s a form of respect to the team. To both sides with J.J. and (Joseph) here. … Hat’s off to our offensive staff and the whole staff in general to get quality guys and get guys the recognition they deserve.”

REST OF THE STORY
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013   #2
ESAD2-14
TexanAmerican

Rep Power: 22184 ESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans earning respect of their peers at Pro Bowl

Feel good story, but if I had the chance to go on an expense paid trip to Hawaii with some of my buds like that I'd take it.

Lot of Negative Nancy running around in the comments section though, you'd think we just came off of 2-14 again.
Old 01-27-2013   #3
bOODRO87
Time Consumer

Rep Power: 16277 bOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respected

So many Pro Bowlers on offense. How did we get so bad in the red zone down the stretch? Frustrating.
bOODRO87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013   #4
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 306681 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

I imagine Peyton's reflex was to throw it over J.J.'s outstretched arms,

And had Peyton thrown it within reach Watt probably sWatts it down!
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013   #5
rolyat93
Veteran

Rep Power: 2303 rolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respected

I can think of a better Bowl to earn respect in.
rolyat93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013   #6
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bOODRO87 View Post
So many Pro Bowlers on offense. How did we get so bad in the red zone down the stretch? Frustrating.
I look at it with a different perspective.

We were pretty bad in the red zone. Do these players really deserve to be held out as exceptional? Not really, but someone has to play.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013   #7
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25616 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bOODRO87 View Post
I blame the playcalling above all else.
Old 01-27-2013   #8
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34613 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESAD2-14 View Post
Feel good story, but if I had the chance to go on an expense paid trip to Hawaii with some of my buds like that I'd take it.

Lot of Negative Nancy running around in the comments section though, you'd think we just came off of 2-14 again.
I think there are some people that would actually prefer it, if it led to getting rid of Kubiak & Schaub.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013   #9
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 98311 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
I think there are some people that would actually prefer it, if it led to getting rid of Kubiak & Schaub.
I'm still up in the air with Kubiak so I'll leave him out of this..

However, I would prefer a step back if it led to a bigger step forward. The worst thing that can ever happen in sports is being stuck in mediocrity dying a slow agonizing death. That was the Rockets for the longest time and it killed me, but they made a big move with the James Harden trade and hopefully it'll be the big move that starts to pull them out of the mediocrity zone.

The Astros flat out suck, that's something nobody will argue about, but it doesn't bother me. I'm willing to let them suck and hopefully all that sucking will lead to us drafting some future star players (See Wash. Nats) and we can restock our farm system.

So in short, if we had a wheel fail off the wagon season that made us start looking for another QB, I wouldn't be cheering (I never cheer for my teams to lose), but I wouldn't exactly shed a tear either. Hell look what the Colts got out of their fall on their face season.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 257888 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I haven't given up on these Texans yet. Sure, this season was a failure; a disappointment.

But I'm over it. Can't wait to see what they do next year.
Old 01-27-2013   #11
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34613 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
I'm still up in the air with Kubiak so I'll leave him out of this..

However, I would prefer a step back if it led to a bigger step forward. The worst thing that can ever happen in sports is being stuck in mediocrity dying a slow agonizing death. That was the Rockets for the longest time and it killed me, but they made a big move with the James Harden trade and hopefully it'll be the big move that starts to pull them out of the mediocrity zone.

The Astros flat out suck, that's something nobody will argue about, but it doesn't bother me. I'm willing to let them suck and hopefully all that sucking will lead to us drafting some future star players (See Wash. Nats) and we can restock our farm system.

So in short, if we had a wheel fail off the wagon season that made us start looking for another QB, I wouldn't be cheering (I never cheer for my teams to lose), but I wouldn't exactly shed a tear either. Hell look what the Colts got out of their fall on their face season.
Are we stuck in mediocrity though? We just made it to the 2nd round of playoffs 2 seasons in a row. That means 24 teams finished worse than us. We are in the top quarter of the league. If we were stuck in the middle for a few seasons... like the Eagles, Cowboys or Chargers, then I'd fully agree with you.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013   #12
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 98311 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
Are we stuck in mediocrity though?
We just made it to the 2nd round of playoffs 2 seasons in a row. That means 24 teams finished worse than us. We are in the top quarter of the league. If we were stuck in the middle for a few seasons... like the Eagles, Cowboys or Chargers, then I'd fully agree with you.
The second half collapse took a lot of shine off our early season success with me. Even the wins we had in the second half were worrisome, mainly the Lions game and the Jags game. It goes back to the whole expectations thing and the reason why this was a failed season imo. It's time to step up and play with the big boys. I can take a loss to a top team as long as you're competitive, but getting blown out three times to top teams in unacceptable for any team that considers itself a "contender".
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013   #13
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127410 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESAD2-14 View Post

Brother, you should know better than reading "comments", no??
Old 01-27-2013   #14
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 132729 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Yay it's our Super Bowl! FML.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013   #15
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 103198 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Just in case people forgot, there are 29 other teams not playing in the Super Bowl this year.
Vance87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013   #16
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance87 View Post
Just in case people forgot, there are 29 other teams not playing in the Super Bowl this year.
Ah. The "misery loves company" approach.

Not working for me. Repeated chances at home field advantage slipped through our fingers.

That sure didn't happen to 29 other teams.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013   #17
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 259612 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Nevermind.
Old 01-28-2013   #18
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yep, but I do not buy their merchandise, scream my lungs out in support and stay up nights mocking drafts for them. IMO, those other team are not beating us, it is the team I root for that is beating us. sigh
Old 01-28-2013   #19
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 103198 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Yep, but I do not buy their merchandise, scream my lungs out in support and stay up nights mocking drafts for them. IMO, those other team are not beating us, it is the team I root for that is beating us. sigh
How many Super Bowls has PFM made it to in his 14 year career? How many Super Bowls has Baltimore made it to, a perennial playoff team?

Make the Super Bowl is damn hard. And some of you whine and ***** like we shoulda been there 5 times already.

Get over 2012 already, it's done with.
Vance87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013   #20
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 132729 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And we care about those teams why? Loser mentality.

Yay we're better than 26 other teams. Lets sing kumbaya and celebrate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read