Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-24-2013   #1
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What position of need is easiest to upgrade via Free Agency?

What position of need is easiest to upgrade via Free Agency?
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013   #2
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 24667 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What position of need is easiest to upgrade via Free Agency?

Not sure about easiest since I'm not totally aware of the players who will truly be free agents who will resign with their respective teams. The one position I think that should be addressed if possible in free agency though is WR. Reason being is that it is one of the more difficult positions to develop via the draft. They need a young playmaker but unless that drafted prospect is rather exceptionally talented and a quick learner since we know how Kubes can be on that aspect, they won't contribute much.

So if they can get a veteran guy that cuts down on the developmental process and gets it where he just needs to learn the intangibles of the offense. And like many players say, most of these systems are actually quite similar but the lingo differs.

Currently looks like some decent prospects will be free agents at WR and OT so that could be something to look at.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013   #3
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

After HOU signs their own FAs that they can, We can take the top 5-6 guys from each FA category and remove them from our hope list. I am hoping some Cap Magic can be performed and at least 1 impact FA can be signed to the Texans.
OLB
or
WR would be great.
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013   #4
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
After HOU signs their own FAs that they can, We can take the top 5-6 guys from each FA category and remove them from our hope list. I am hoping some Cap Magic can be performed and at least 1 impact FA can be signed to the Texans.
OLB
or
WR would be great.
I really do believe that we need to try and use Barwin's down year against him in negotiations and lock him up at a very team friendly deal this year.

You know that guy we were missing at ILB almost the whole year? Yeah well he takes a lot of responsibility off the shoulders of our OLB's, and I'm fed up of watching guys fail in Houston only to sign for another team where the talent around them allows them to shine.

I really do think with the return of Cush next season and an upgrade alongside him, and Sharpton and Bradie James still there backing it up, we'll suddenly see we have plenty of what we need at the OLB position.

The Te'o thing throws a cat amongst the pidgeons at the ILB position in the draft, the chances of someone they like, hell, even Te'o, being there a round or so lower than they had them rated grows. Lets adress the root problem of why our OLB's failed this season rather than just plugging in new OLB's and hope they can overcome that reason.

WR, yeah, go out and get a guy we like, doesn't need to be a flashy signing either, plenty of decent guys going to hit the market this season, but I just worry about whether the FO has their prototype set in the WR they are trying to capture, do they know what traits they are looking for the minute you can't simply rely on the numbers (sure-fire numbers likely take any WR out of our price range). I really get the impression that they're unsure of what they are looking for.

Safety is another position that we can upgrade pretty heftily, our 3rd Safety plays a heck of a lot of snaps and whilst Demps did great as a street FA in 2011, he wasn't anywhere near as impressive this season, we had a couple of young prospects in Nolan and Keo, Nolan was a waste of a few years and Keo still looks like a special teamer rather than a defender to me. I'm pretty sure you can resign Quin and get someone in with experience to upgrade that 3rd position.

I think this team improves as much as it needs to simply by tweaking things and getting low level FA's with the right skill-sets for the system. I don't see this big need to make a splash in FA at any position.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013   #5
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 21478 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
OLB
or
WR would be great.
The WR Free Agent class is crap. We have to figure out how to address WR via a trade or the Draft. Hopefully with Posey's injury they assume the worst and know that even though he was showing some potential, he is 2 years away from any kind of impact and thats assuming he can come back at all.
Old 01-24-2013   #6
AJ-80
Veteran

Rep Power: 547 AJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Daryl Washington - Arizona

It may take a little more money, but Cushing+Washington+Reed+Mercillus=success
AJ-80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013   #7
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171454 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Give me an RT or ILB thru FA .... Then WR , a 3rd S , NT and whichever RT or ILB you didnt get in FA thru the draft.

My list of needs would be RT , WR , S3 , ILB , NT in that order but is subject to change as FA plays out.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-24-2013   #8
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22721 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Punter! I miss The Hitman. I don't know what Marciano sees in guys like Turk & Jones.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013   #9
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 24667 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
Punter! I miss The Hitman. I don't know what Marciano sees in guys like Turk & Jones.
PFF grades Jones the best punter this past season and he beats the 'Hitman' in most punting categories. I think the love fest for Hitman is just for him going down the field to make tackles which in truth you shouldn't really need or want your kicker doing. Other than that he did nothing exceptionally better than Jones
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013   #10
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22721 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucetx View Post
PFF grades Jones the best punter this past season and he beats the 'Hitman' in most punting categories. I think the love fest for Hitman is just for him going down the field to make tackles which in truth you shouldn't really need or want your kicker doing. Other than that he did nothing exceptionally better than Jones
Really? I guess I need to get better at evaluating punters. I was getting tired of seeing Jones shank punts, but maybe it didn't happen as often as I thought. I also loved Hartmann's ability to bomb one when needed.
Old 01-24-2013   #11
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Really? I guess I need to get better at evaluating punters. I was getting tired of seeing Jones shank punts, but maybe it didn't happen as often as I thought. I also loved Hartmann's ability to bomb one when needed.
I don't know if this is just me with a skewed eye-test, but it seemed to me this season as if the Texans O either bogged down early on drives or powered into scoring range. Is there a stat for average punting position available? The position the team punted from?

I didn't see too many of those situations where the Texans were punting around mid-field, just out of FG range, more where he had the space to get the yardage stats.

Jones has had plenty of good reviews round here throughout the season, but never really passed the eye test to me.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013   #12
silentassassin
Veteran

Rep Power: 2069 silentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah, the shanks were few and far between. I think the problem was sometimes they occurred during critical moments when the game was still close.

Hartmann was also good for plugging in during kickoffs to send it sailing across the endzone.
silentassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013   #13
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 19115 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Brian Hartline from Miami might be a nice steal from the dolphins..

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013   #14
Seņor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44649 Seņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What position of need is easiest to upgrade via Free Agency?
Quarterback. Duh.
Seņor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013   #15
Giant Tiger
Hall of Fame

Location: Smiths Falls, Heart of the Rideau Canal-UNESCO World Heritage Site
Rep Power: 9887 Giant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respected
Post Re: What position of need is easiest to upgrade via Free Agency?

I'm going with punter, too. I'd at least bring that kid from Laval in for a look He can kick FG's, too.
Old 01-24-2013   #16
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Give me Brian urlacher. A successful vet that adds experience, talent, credibility and versatility to the defense.

I'd make him priority number 1.

Instant credibility and leadership added to the locker room.

IMO, he'd be the perfect target. Not a strong ilb draft. Still good, could play 3 downs if necessary, good in pass coverage.

Cushing next to urlacher. Get er done Rick.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013   #17
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Give me Brian urlacher. A successful vet that adds experience, talent, credibility and versatility to the defense.

IMO, he'd be the perfect target. Not a strong ilb draft. Still good, could play 3 downs if necessary, good in pass coverage.

Urlacher not in a Bears uniform would look just weird... but I'd take him in a second! I'd think he's the type of guy to chase a championship before he calls it quits.
Old 01-25-2013   #18
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post

That would take a major discount on Urlacher's behalf imo. We would assume Urlacher would be the 2 down guy & DeMeco was too rich for the Texans blood playing the same role. That's one move that we might only get to see playing Madden. Would look nice but highly doubtful.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013   #19
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171454 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru80texan View Post
That would take a major discount on Urlacher's behalf imo. We would assume Urlacher would be the 2 down guy & DeMeco was too rich for the Texans blood playing the same role. That's one move that we might only get to see playing Madden. Would look nice but highly doubtful.
May take a discount ... but they are different players. Urlacher can cover .... which wasnt something Demeco did well.

Give me a choice between the two (both healthy) and I take Urlacher hands down for whats needed next to Cushing - who will be terrorizing QB's.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013   #20
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
May take a discount ... but they are different players. Urlacher can cover .... which wasnt something Demeco did well.

Give me a choice between the two (both healthy) and I take Urlacher hands down for whats needed next to Cushing - who will be terrorizing QB's.
A discount to play for a team that he has no loyalties to & what could possibly be the last contract of his playing career. I doubt it, but stranger things have happened. The fact that Urlacher has also been primarily the dreaded 4-3 MLB that has issues w/ switching to a 3-4 ILB could also be a factor in his & the Texans decision not to consider this move. Not my opinion, but is believed by some that this is a tough transition.

It's somewhat surprising to me that you believe the older Urlacher who has had issues w/ injuries in his career is the better coverage LB compared to the younger now healthy Ryans who use to be the coverage LB for the Texans prior to his injury. I can't say I would agree on that aspect at this point in their careers. Without a doubt, Urlacher has had a stellar career, but I believe his better days are behind him & highly doubt Cushing would give way to Urlacher if a LB is needed in coverage.

Draft a young quick ILB who is capable in coverage & I believe you could possibly get more of what you want & that's Cushing terrorizing QB's. I don't think an older past his prime MLB will help that cause.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read