Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 01-19-2013   #1
panamamyers
Veteran

Rep Power: 1737 panamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Panama Mock

I decided to go ahead and attempt to do a mock draft.

1. Dion Jordan, Oregon - May have to trade up to get him depending on which mock you look at. Pass rushers are some of the hardest guys to find though, and we need them.

2. Dallas Thomas, Tenn - I expect him to play guard in the NFL. We need offensive linemen.

3a. Markus Wheaton, Oregon St - Extremely fast receiver. Mike Wallace type

3b. Gavin Escobar, SDSU - Big, athletic tight end

4a. Matt Scott, Arizona - Has good speed for a qb, nice arm, development potential

4b. (assuming we get a 4b) Ray Ray Armstrong, Miami - Big, very athletic, high ceiling safety.

5. Bruce Taylor, VT - Inside linebacker that we need for depth. Pretty athletic guy for this late in the draft.

6a. Tanner Hawkinson, Kansas - developmental, athletic offensive tackle

6b. Zac Stacy, Vanderbilt - Hard to believe that most mocks have him rated this low. Could easily contribute next year as a third down back type of guy. He has playmaking ability.

7a. Greg Reid, Valdosta St. - nickel corner maybe, return man.

7b. TJ Moe, Missouri - possible slot receiver
Old 01-19-2013   #2
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Jordan is my guy...so I'm digging the mock just based on that.

I think he'd be the perfect solb for this defense c
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013   #3
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78947 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Panama Mock

I like Wheaton and I really like Stacy. Been singing his praises all season.

Both Reid and Armstrong have had off the field issues.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013   #4
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 58316 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Do you think we need a slot receiver?

I'm down with drafting Wheaton with the uncertainty surrounding Posey, but have you pretty much given up on Martin?
NCTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013   #5
panamamyers
Veteran

Rep Power: 1737 panamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
I like Wheaton and I really like Stacy. Been singing his praises all season.

Both Reid and Armstrong have had off the field issues.
Reid and Armstrong would be going much, much higher more than likely if not for the off field issues. I think Armstrong in particular has a pretty high ceiling. Reid could be useful if you have to let McCain walk and Harris doesn't come around.
Old 01-20-2013   #6
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 125714 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamamyers View Post

1. Dion Jordan, Oregon - May have to trade up to get him depending on which mock you look at. Pass rushers are some of the hardest guys to find though, and we need them.

2. Dallas Thomas, Tenn - I expect him to play guard in the NFL. We need offensive linemen.

4a. Matt Scott, Arizona - Has good speed for a qb, nice arm, development potential

4b. (assuming we get a 4b) Ray Ray Armstrong, Miami - Big, very athletic, high ceiling safety.

5. Bruce Taylor, VT - Inside linebacker that we need for depth. Pretty athletic guy for this late in the draft.

6b. Zac Stacy, Vanderbilt - Hard to believe that most mocks have him rated this low. Could easily contribute next year as a third down back type of guy. He has playmaking ability.

Curious as to whom your starting Nose and ILBs are going to be?
Old 01-20-2013   #7
panamamyers
Veteran

i personally dont like martin much at all. he seems more like a very small wide receiver as opposed to having slot receiver skills.
earl mitchell plays the nose and cushing and either dobbins or taylor at ilb.
i personally like dobbins ok enough for how much we use that second ilb.
Old 01-20-2013   #8
panamamyers
Veteran

Also, if Sonny Harris is back, I liked the way he was playing in pre-season.
Old 01-20-2013   #9
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
i personally dont like martin much at all. he seems more like a very small wide receiver as opposed to having slot receiver skills.
earl mitchell plays the nose and cushing and either dobbins or taylor at ilb.
i personally like dobbins ok enough for how much we use that second ilb.
What are slot receiver skills?

Earl at the nose and who backs him up? Earl is better than Cody for sure. But he still shouldn't be starting. He has 3 sacks in three seasons. He gets no push up the middle and isn't good enough to keep the ILB's clean.

Your ok with dobbins or a 5th riund rookie starting? Did you watch Dobbins play this year? He is good in short yardage situations and that is it.

Your first round pick is going to be sitting the Bench even if Barwin leaves. Are you ok with that? Not to mention it won't do any good having a strong stable off outside pass rushers if we don't fix the middle of out defense. Cushing is very good but he can't do it all by himself. Remember he is coming of a major injury and plays all out. What if he gets hurt again?

What do you mean for as little as we use the ILB position?
Old 01-20-2013   #10
panamamyers
Veteran

martin does not have good lateral quickness or stop and start ability, which is what yould prefer for a slot receiver.

harris can back up mitchell or pick up somebody in free agency. dont need to waste a high draft pick on nt or ilb when our nickel corner plays more than both of them.

i dont think its true that he would be sitting the bench even if barwin leaves. if he is good enough he eill play. wouldnt take much to beat out what we got now. i still think its possible that reed moves inside. muchmore better suited for the inside.

if i chose nt or ilb higer then you would be complaining about the lack of ol and wr lol
Old 01-20-2013   #11
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
martin does not have good lateral quickness or stop and start ability, which is what yould prefer for a slot receiver.

You couldn't be more wrong. Those are his best attributes.

harris can back up mitchell or pick up somebody in free agency. dont need to waste a high draft pick on nt or ilb when our nickel corner plays more than both of them.

So you think we play more Nicole and dime than a base 3/4?

i dont think its true that he would be sitting the bench even if barwin leaves. if he is good enough he eill play. wouldnt take much to beat out what we got now. i still think its possible that reed moves inside. muchmore better suited for the inside.

Wouldn't take much to beat out Mercilous and Reed? Ok!

if i chose nt or ilb higer then you would be complaining about the lack of ol and wr lol
No I wouldn't. IMO the OL simply needs depth that can easily be found later in the draft. WR isn't a problem as far as I'm concerned either. We already have three top notch weapons on offense. Adding more isn't going to make that much difference. Look at my mock and you will see how I think things will go down.
Old 01-21-2013   #12
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I like Jordan and TJ Moe (haven't watched Moe the last two years, but he made a lot of plays for Gabbert the last time I watched Mizzou.

I would say no to Ray Ray; he's not good on the field.

Haven't watched the other guys enough to have an opinion.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013   #13
panamamyers
Veteran

Going to have to redo this draft big time.
Jordan is probably going to be a top 10 pick now.
Scott will never last that long after the show he put on yesterday.
Wheaton could be a 1st round pick now after what he did yesterday.
Hawkinson possibly moving all the way up to the 4th round now.

Too bad we couldn't have just had the draft real quick before the combine.
Old 02-25-2013   #14
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

After the combine performance I think Escobar is going to be there much later than the 3rd round also. I don't think Wheaton is going to be a first rounder, I think you still have guys like Patterson, Austin, Woods, T. Williams, and Hopkins which will be rated higher than Wheaton on most of their boards.
Old 02-25-2013   #15
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

While I like Wheaton a ton, I don't think you want to draft him in the first.
He will make a very good number 2, but I want a guy with higher ceiling for a first round pick. With Wheaton, it's pretty much what you see is what you get, assuming normal growth.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read