Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-13-2013   #1
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 2012 a rebuilding year?

I made a thread on this earlier in the season. We lost Winston, Mario, Dreessen, Briesel, Jones, Demeco, and Schaub coming off a major injury. We lose Cush, we lose Butler, and the rest of our LBs were shredded via injury.

Return game suffered. Running game suffered. Red zone suffered. Middle of the D suffered. The O, the D, and ST SUFFERED.

This was an uphill battle from the get go. We still won 13 games. Was it really that much of a devastating season all things considering?
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #2
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24061 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2012 a rebuilding year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
I made a thread on this earlier in the season. We lost Winston, Mario, Dreessen, Briesel, Jones, Demeco, and Schaub coming off a major injury. We lose Cush, we lose Butler, and the rest of our LBs were shredded via injury.

Return game suffered. Running game suffered. Red zone suffered. Middle of the D suffered. The O, the D, and ST SUFFERED.

This was an uphill battle from the get go. We still won 13 games. Was it really that much of a devastating season all things considering?
Well, when you consider they had two opportunities to win a game for HFA - vikings or colts.....that is pretty devastating.

Just imagine if you had this game at home............

Big picture, it's a good year.....

Focus in on loss of HFA, loss of momentum to close out the year.....it is pretty bad......
Old 01-14-2013   #3
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

how is it rebuilding when you replace good players with lesser players?

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #4
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

we hopefully 2013 is not rebuilding but just re loading !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #5
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25247 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Yep.

Not sure what it is but we let go of so many good players last year.

Pro-bowl and all-pro players. Yeah I know teams have to let players go all the time but we just let of a bunch of them and replaced them mostly with rookies.

I'm not a cap guy...but it seems we manage it badly.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #6
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

i dont know guys i always thought Winston jus sucked and Demco well he started to suck has well was only taking 25% of snaps at the end

i deff thought Sharpton was a upgrade over Demco till he got hurt and now Dobbins

who do yall think is better right now DObbins or Demco ...????? real talk
Old 01-14-2013   #7
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413120 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
i dont know guys i always thought Winston jus sucked and Demco well he started to suck has well was only taking 25% of snaps at the end

i deff thought Sharpton was a upgrade over Demco till he got hurt and now Dobbins

who do yall think is better right now DObbins or Demco ...????? real talk
Sharpton and Dobbins at their best never played as well as DeMeco at his worst.
Old 01-14-2013   #8
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 126475 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Dobbins is a big hitter and pretty good against the run IMO but he stinks it up when he is in coverage. Sharpton when is in has never impressed me and he is always on IR so that should be the end of him.

Only LBs we have who i have liked since cushing went out is Rudd. He did give up that TD yesterday but he was running stride for stride with the TE and had pretty good coverage, but it is Tom Brady and he tends to make perfect throws.

IMO i would like to see Cushing and Rudd in the middle with Reed and Whitney on the outside. I like Barwin but he disappeared this season and got virtually zero pressure when we needed it most.
Old 01-14-2013   #9
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Huh? That was the whole point and one of the keys for me in 2012. I knew this year would say alot about Kubes and company. Were we simply going to reload this year, or are we in the process of rebuilding? This team took a step back in overall play. But we still won 13 games and we lost Cushing early on.

This offseason will tell us next year if 2011 was simply our best team, and this is a sinking ship... Or if it was always going to take more than 1 year to replace all of these players properly.

And by properly, I do not mean Ruud for Demeco.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #10
Goodwrench3
VAI TEXANS!

Rep Power: 7154 Goodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respected

We had a great year. Hell it's 12-4!! But the team showed some deficiencies, especially since Cushing was shutted down.
Old 01-14-2013   #11
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 31941 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

What worries me about next year is the defense. I think many felt Antonio Smith will be a cap casualty with a Cushing extension on the horizon. The signs seem to really point that way when they gave Tim Jamison an extension.

But after this season...I have no idea how good an idea that is. Outside of Watt, only Smith seemed capable of applying pressure on the pocket. Our edge rushers completely disappeared. It was Watt's show and Smith was his sidekick. Nobody else did much of anything in regards of pass rush. So if we let him go and roll with Jamison/Crick....where is Watt's help rushing? Can't send Cush all the time because he's the only linebacker capable of covering.

I hope Mercilus is ready because we need some sort of pressure from the edge especially if they let Smith go.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #12
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25247 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

No, not devastating. Some people will say that but it's more about how the team responds from this season. This is the 2nd year they've been in the playoffs. Lets see if they take steps backwards or step forward.

Championship teams are hard to acquire and sometimes take a good deal of heart-ache and such.
Old 01-14-2013   #13
mariowillshine15
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2512 mariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco west View Post
No, not devastating. Some people will say that but it's more about how the team responds from this season. This is the 2nd year they've been in the playoffs. Lets see if they take steps backwards or step forward.

Championship teams are hard to acquire and sometimes take a good deal of heart-ache and such.
It takes an elite QB. Get one of those and you contend every year.
mariowillshine15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #14
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariowillshine15 View Post
But there are 5 of these guys at any given time.

They are all taken.

I think we should have stacked up on defense. Relied on a game managing QB that is clutch...but tried our best to keep guys like Mario and Demeco. We'd have a Dline like those G-Men team at the very least and that has proven to win rings.
Old 01-14-2013   #15
Norg
Hall of Fame

what type of team does Rick and Mcnair want

a consistent team like our counterparts in the North Ravens and Pittsburg who make the playoffs year after year and get bounced in the Div or AFCC game ever year and if they dont anything less the 9-7 is tabboo

or a team like ATL and SF who take gambles
Old 01-14-2013   #16
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 39889 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
what type of team does Rick and Mcnair want

a consistent team like our counterparts in the North Ravens and Pittsburg who make the playoffs year after year and get bounced in the Div or AFCC game ever year and if they dont anything less the 9-7 is tabboo

or a team like ATL and SF who take gambles
Pittsburgh has won 2 superbowls in recent memory...

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #17
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 341333 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariowillshine15 View Post
Do the Steelers have an elite QB? The Giants? The Ravens?
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #18
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
yeah, those are top QB's. Quibbling on the 'elite' tag notwithstanding. I don't see any of those guys schaubing the ball up the field slowly when behind.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #19
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 341333 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
yeah, those are top QB's. Quibbling on the 'elite' tag notwithstanding. I don't see any of those guys schaubing the ball up the field slowly when behind.
And yet, the Giants and Steelers were NOT contenders. Therefore, saying that having an "elite" QB means you will contend year after year is wrong. (Although, I don't consider either of those guys elite.)

And I don't consider Flacco even close to elite, and yet he's making it to the playoffs and to the AFCS year after year.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #20
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

It's all relative. Compared to the Texans yes, those teams all have elite QB's. I see rings, I see AFC Championship games. I see big throws under pressure in big games.

None of that can be seen here. I'd trade three Schaub's if I had them for one Ben, Eli, or Flacco.

And honestly, if you have to spring for a perfect team to put around a guy to win a Super Bowl then what in the hell do you need him for? Think about it. Schaub's biggest weakness in my opinion is that he cannot create anything. Nothing. He can't make a play out of a busted play to save his life much less win a game. The handful of times he ever did that were years ago and now he's slower and more mechanical than ever before. Your QB has to give you more than that. I saw someone earlier listing what he was best at and it read like a list of things damn near any obedient QB in the league could do. There was nothing special about that list. Just a bunch of "follows orders" and "reads defenses when protected".

This system makes him look good. That's it.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read