Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-13-2013   #1
djohn2oo8
Veteran

Rep Power: 5520 djohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What moves do you think will be made if any?

Kubiak's too loyal to Schaub to even think about any sort of replacement. What moves will be made?
djohn2oo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013   #2
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7106 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What moves do you think will be made if any?

none, wildcard next year. luck is for real
ATXtexanfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013   #3
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13265 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

New quarterback.

MS is NOT going to take you past 2 and threw.
Old 01-13-2013   #4
kiwitexansfan
Let's Mock!!!!!

Rep Power: 43261 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub is NOT a great QB.

Might be hard to find an upgrade though.

Maybe we draft someone in the first couple of rounds to add some compeition?

Other than that we will keep building through the draft where we have done pretty well.
Old 01-13-2013   #5
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 18937 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Schaub is NOT a great QB.

Might be hard to find an upgrade though.

Maybe we draft someone in the first couple of rounds to add some compeition?

Other than that we will keep building through the draft where we have done pretty well.
Your Avatar is a joke...right?
Old 01-13-2013   #6
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 93649 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

McNair's tolerance/loyalty concerns me. As I said minutes ago in another thread, at some point the love needs to give way to sound business decisions. I don't think we will see them to the detriment of the team.

Bud was an arshole, Bob is too loyal. jmo.
Old 01-13-2013   #7
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 156181 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
McNair's tolerance/loyalty concerns me. As I said minutes ago in another thread, at some point the love needs to give way to sound business decisions. I don't think we will see them to the detriment of the team.

Bud was an arshole, Bob is too loyal. jmo.
That's true, it would be nice to have someone in between. But if you had a choice, I'll bet you'd take Bob over Bud any day. I know I would.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-13-2013   #8
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 93649 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
That's true, it would be nice to have someone in between. But if you had a choice, I'll bet you'd take Bob over Bud any day. I know I would.
Yes indeed, Thorn. Bob all the way. No question.
Old 01-13-2013   #9
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 12831 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
none, wildcard next year. luck is for real
That defense ain't.

Colts going 9-7. They'll be in the playoffs tho maybe.
Old 01-13-2013   #10
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7106 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShark316 View Post
That defense ain't.

dude they were one game behind us.
Old 01-13-2013   #11
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13798 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
dude they were one game behind us.
Even some colts fans will tell you they've had a really fortunate season. I can't believe any one will be handing them the title.

We've seen a lot of teams have one good season then crash back to earth the next.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013   #12
cdollaz
Veteran

Rep Power: 1265 cdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think we know yet the type of owner Bob will be, but we will find out over the next few years. Is he the type who is going to demand excellence And continued improvement, or is he going to be the type that is OK with a modicum of success.

Hopefully it is the former, as I do not want our team to be another Chargers/Norv Turner-type situation.
cdollaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013   #13
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco west View Post
Even some colts fans will tell you they've had a really fortunate season. I can't believe any one will be handing them the title.

We've seen a lot of teams have one good season then crash back to earth the next.
so you expect schaub to get better and luck regress? one game difference this year
Old 01-13-2013   #14
Texcore
Hardcore Texan

Rep Power: 796 Texcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShark316 View Post
That defense ain't.

You'd be foolish to think that team will not improve from their current state. We one one freaking game more than they did. And we split the series. We need to fear the enemy and know they are on the verge of building a great team with the next great QB in this league. We need to act now or watch this team waste its talent...
Texcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013   #15
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 156181 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Rick Smith, Kubiak, Wade, and Schaub will all be back next year. If there are changes, it will be to someone other than those guys. Excluding our obvious stars of course. There will be some of the coaching staff leave, there always is.

Not that I like what I just said, but to think otherwise is foolish.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013   #16
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29597 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Rick Smith, Kubiak, Wade, and Schaub will all be back next year. If there are changes, it will be to someone other than those guys. Excluding our obvious stars of course. There will be some of the coaching staff leave, there always is.

This^^^^^^^! Unfortunately, we will still have Rick Smith on board this next year, and I can assure you, he will screw something up! BET on it!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #17
ralph
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 ralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
This^^^^^^^! Unfortunately, we will still have Rick Smith on board this next year, and I can assure you, he will screw something up! BET on it!!
Serious?
ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #18
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 114277 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph View Post
Serious?
Yes, she is.

She will never forgive Smith for letting DeMeco and Winston leave town.
Old 01-14-2013   #19
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Yes, she is.

She will never forgive Smith for letting DeMeco and Winston leave town.
Indeed, despite the fact that those moves are what allow us to keep hold of Foster, Cushing & Brown moving forward. Not going to rag on anyone, but the prediction at the time of those cuts was regression in terms of results.

Regular season we were stronger and we held our ground in the post-season. As far as I'm concerned those particular choices were the right choices, its the later decision to re-up Schaub too soon that is extremely questionable.

Paying DeMeco would have caused far more trouble cap-wise going forward. Hindsight might lead you to think we'd have missed Cush less, but the decision making at the time was sound. And after a decent start, I didn't hear too much about Ryans' play QBing that Philly D with all that raw talent to a losing season.

Winston the same, good at run blocking, but the pass blocking was on the decline and the only thing I've heard about the dude this season was him openning his mouth to criticise his fans, not much about his play though. Wonder why?

Can't call Rick Smith out for either of those moves, sure they were nice young boys and all but both got paid just as much as they would have if they'd been here so it isn't like either really lost out.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #20
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

So what can you do? If you're Bob McNair, what are you going to do? Can you do anything?

I'm thinking, if I'm McNair, I've got my little group together this morning; Cal, Smith, Kubiak, & we're going to figure out what happened, what went wrong & what we're going to do about it.

No one is leaving that room confident that they will return next season in their same capacity.

I don't think Schaub is as bad or useless as has been said on this board. I don't think anyone in that room will say any different. So my question is if Schaub is the QB we need, what happened?

My mind is made up that the game plan did not feature our QB, the leader of the team, in a position to maximize his strengths. His strengths are reading defenses understanding what the offense is designed to do & efficiently delivering the ball to the open guy. I think that means there should have been more receivers to pressure the Patriots defense deep, middle, & both sides of the field.

I also think he's a rhythm passer & most of our offense did not look like it was designed to get him into a rhythm.

I want him to have more freedom at the line. I want to see him take advantage of LBs lined up on our slot receiver (sometimes that's Andre) or LBs lined up on Arian split wide. I want to see him check from a run to a pass & if that means that he needs to be more demonstrative than what we've seen in the past, I want him to be more demonstrative so up in my owners box I can look to my Bud Herschall Walker & say..., "That's an audible."
I also want to know what happened to letting it hang loose?
I want to know why we bottled up our QB in the second half when we saw he was the only thing working in the first half (at the end). If Gary gives me that, "We needed to control the clock & metriculate blah, blah, blah..." I want him to find someone else to call plays. As head coach, he can make sure they stick to his "system" he can make sure the team is conducting themselves like pros. He can make sure the players are being taught & that we've identified the right keys for our offense, but on game day I want someone else calling plays.

If he tells me he's not comfortable with the new guys & that KDub gave him his best shot, then KDub is cut right there. No more crutches. I want 12 WRs in camp battling for the #1 through #5 spot on this team.

The only way he keeps his play calling duties, is if he tells me Schaub was hurt, or he was protecting someone on the OL.
Then I'm going to grille Gary about the Defense.
If he can't explain to me what we worked on, what we expected, how they beat us, what we should have done differently or why they got caught with their pants down twice after they saw that crap Dec 10th.... He is gone.

I know, no one wants to fire a HC who just won 12 regular season games, the division, and a play off game, but if he can't answer those defensive questions, he's not a HC. It's the HC's job to identify what went wrong last game & make sure we've had a good process in place to fix them.

I'm going to look at Rick Smith & ask him what's our plan going forward, what are we going to target in the offseason. If he tells me we don't have money, that's his a55. He's goofed up last season & he's had 19 weeks to figure out a plan.
I'm going to ask him for a list of 5 GMs that did a better job than he did this year. I want detailed summary of what they did that was better, what he did in & why it wasn't a good idea, or why it didn't pan out.

I want a plan for what he needs to do this offseason to do better than he did last year.

Then I want a list of five head coaching prospects, I want to know how confident he is that his guy would come to Houston, what he thinks it would cost, & how long would it take that coach to get this team into the Super Bowl. I want to know who those 5 guys know & who would "probably" be asked to be on his coaching staff.

I want a list of ST coaches, I want a list of OCs, I want a list of LB coaches, & DCs
Then I'm looking at Cal
& I want to know how he let that debacle we call December happen & not be prepared to replace these guys at the drop of a hat.... if he's not. If Rick Smith already has a list of coaches, because Cal already told him he's looking at options.... if Cal already has a list of possible GMs & he's been in contact with these people, then I'll let him leave thinking he did his job. If not... that's his a55.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read