Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-09-2013   #1
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 126475 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected
Default More people noticing Kubiaks Conservative play calling...

Atleast it isnt just the fans who are noticing this. You want to win then you have to take some shots, Kubiaks confidence dont leave me feeling to confident about the New England game !!!!

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/pos...o-the-end-zone

Quote:
The first two questions Gary Kubiak fielded at his Monday news conference were about the team’s red zone offense.

In each answer, he mentioned checking the ball down.

First: "We had a lot of second-and-nines down there from that standpoint, but we got to make the small plays whether you check a ball down on a three or four-yard pass. You’ve got to do that so you’re giving yourself a legitimate chance."

A chance at what? A closer field goal?

Second: "We got played the other day in a bunch of quarters defense, people sitting on the goal line makes it tough to get behind people, those types of things. If people are going to play you that way, you got to run the ball efficiently. You’ve got to check the ball down efficiently."

Houston QB Matt Schaub and coach Gary Kubiak will each need to be aggressive in order to defeat New England on Sunday.If you're already in field goal range, what's the benefit of super-efficient checking down, exactly? To prove to a defense you know how to answer the coverage they are calling to keep you out of the end zone by calling plays that keep you out of the end zone?

I'm confused.
Old 01-09-2013   #2
Fred
All Pro

Rep Power: 49199 Fred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: More people noticing Kubiaks Conservative play calling...

Message to anyone who is just now noticing this: Congratulations on coming out of your coma! After more than 6 years we were worried about you!
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013   #3
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Noticing is one thing. Hearing Kubiak admit to it is another. What he is saying with these play calls is that he doesn't trust Schaub to throw into tight coverage. That's okay against the Bengals. But Kubiak has to give Schaub a chance to succeed (or fail) against the Patriots. Playing not to lose won't work this Sunday.
Old 01-09-2013   #4
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Noticing is one thing. Hearing Kubiak admit to it is another. What he is saying with these play calls is that he doesn't trust Schaub to throw into tight coverage. That's okay against the Bengals. But Kubiak has to give Schaub a chance to succeed (or fail) against the Patriots. Playing not to lose won't work this Sunday.
I think what this says, is that there is a reason that fans are fans & newspaper writers are newspaper writers.

If he's saying that we are checking down, that tells you he didn't call a run play (which isn't a bad thing when you've got the best goal line back in the league on your team). He's saying, "I called a pass play to attack the end zone, but Matt was scared. I love my QB & I'm working on his confidence issues, so I'm going to fall on the sword & make it sound like I agreed with his decision to check out of the play I called, or to throw the ball to a guy that has no chance to get into the end zone (or in this case, Arian Foster who has had some success down there). I'm the same Mofo who ran the score up on people when I had Jake Plummer as my QB, people 3itched about it then but this is what it is in this league."
Old 01-09-2013   #5
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 80958 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Great read, great stats and hopefully we can change up our game plan to account for more TDs. 3's wont win this one for us.
Old 01-09-2013   #6
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Think about the interception throw that was, I believe, supposed to go to OD. This was the interception very near the EZ where the announcer said Schaub should've checked down to Arian Foster, because he would have gotten a first down, and, given it's Foster, might've even scored. I believe that's the kind of thing Kubiak is talking about here. It's unusual for Schaub to take unwise risks, but that's exactly what he did on that play, and it cost him big.

I think these writers are picking the wrong time to complain about something that might actually be a legitimate complaint. I'm not jumping on THIS bandwagon.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013   #7
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9350 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Kubiak knows Matt the best. I think he understands Matt can't make the throws he needs to make in the red zone. Matt is too slow on his release, does not have the zip on his pass and maybe his touch is not that great. Everything is compressed and happens quicker in the red zone. Normally you will not have a guy 5 to 10 yards wide open. Many of the passes he completes the receiver is wide open. I don't think it may be just accuracy as much as quick release with accuracy and zip that may be a bigger problem in the red zone. Matt is Matt not trying to bash.
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-09-2013   #8
tedr
Veteran

Rep Power: 7186 tedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafftop View Post
Kubiak knows Matt the best. I think he understands Matt can't make the throws he needs to make in the red zone. Matt is too slow on his release, does not have the zip on his pass and maybe his touch is not that great. Everything is compressed and happens quicker in the red zone. Normally you will not have a guy 5 to 10 yards wide open. Many of the passes he completes the receiver is wide open. I don't think it may be just accuracy as much as quick release with accuracy and zip that may be a bigger problem in the red zone. Matt is Matt not trying to bash.
I think you're right...that said, why in the world would we give that much on an extension to a QB with those issues?
tedr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013   #9
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedr View Post
I think you're right...that said, why in the world would we give that much on an extension to a QB with those issues?
You're asking questions that cause trouble.
Old 01-09-2013   #10
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9350 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Whole other issue. I think it has been discussed somewhere.
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Because Kubiak has absolute & complete confidence in Matt Schaub's ability as a quarterback. Just because he has had a string of bad games. & he hasn't played particularly well all season long doesn't make Matt a "bad" QB.

We've been debating his borderline elite status for at least 3 years here on this board, so he must have been doing something well. These screen shots & commentators coming out showing you that Schaub has had receivers open down field but chose to check it down should be evidence that Kubiak has faith in him, but Schaub is the one lacking confidence.

Kubiak isn't calling for Matt to check it down. The radio in his helmet goes silent a few seconds before the snap. Matt is making those decisions on his own.
Old 01-09-2013   #12
Jules Winnfield
BMF

Rep Power: 1227 Jules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Message to anyone who is just now noticing this: Congratulations on coming out of your coma! After more than 6 years we were worried about you!
LOL........

but kubiak is an offensive GURU!!!!!!

lets see how many people deny this.
Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013   #13
Donnieman
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Atleast it isnt just the fans who are noticing this. You want to win then you have to take some shots, Kubiaks confidence dont leave me feeling to confident about the New England game !!!!

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/pos...o-the-end-zone
You know what would make all the difference in Red Zone rushing?
A BADASS fullback like Leach.
Donnieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013   #14
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnieman View Post
You know what would make all the difference in Red Zone rushing?
A BADASS fullback like Leach.
Foster scored 15 rushing TDs this year, only 1 off from his personal record
Old 01-09-2013   #15
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Foster scored 15 rushing TDs this year, only 1 off from his personal record
No doubt. The O-line has done a great job near goal line this year. Even if the running game is not going as planned, we always seem to still punch it in when we get it close. Against NE, the interior O-line had great immediate push in the Foster TD.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013   #16
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3020 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected

Where's Schaub supposed to go but the middle of the field to Walter? Atkins brought the heavy pressure, forcing Schaub to step up in the pocket and get rid of the ball. I think he was looking to get the ball to either AJ in the end zone or OD at the marker on the same sideline but Atkins blew that play up, which didn't allow enough time for those routes to develop. OD ran his route inside, then planted his foot to go back to the sideline but didn't have enough time to separate from the LB coverage.
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013   #17
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't mind the dinking and dunking if we're doing it on first down to get ahead of the chains. It just seems like we aren't having a ton of success on first down running the ball, and thats what is causing most of our problems down there. The aggressiveness I'd like to see is changing up our first down calls.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013   #18
Surreal McCoy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13530 Surreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailman View Post
]

Where's Schaub supposed to go but the middle of the field to Walter? Atkins brought the heavy pressure, forcing Schaub to step up in the pocket and get rid of the ball. I think he was looking to get the ball to either AJ in the end zone or OD at the marker on the same sideline but Atkins blew that play up, which didn't allow enough time for those routes to develop. OD ran his route inside, then planted his foot to go back to the sideline but didn't have enough time to separate from the LB coverage.
Three great posts in a row, but I'm afraid it's wasted. These folks minds are made up and no amount of 'facts' are gonna change it.

Repped.
Surreal McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013   #19
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreal McCoy View Post
Three great posts in a row, but I'm afraid it's wasted. These folks minds are made up and no amount of 'facts' are gonna change it.

Repped.
Pretty much..in 1 instance they're getting mad when throws it deep to someone who's not really open & it gets intercepted (walter in the 1st NE game) and say "he should've checked it down to foster he was wide open!!!"

Then in another instance, these same folks are getting mad b/c he's checking down too much and just taking what the defense gives him.."they need to throw it deep, but they won't b/c schaub's arm is pathethic!!!"

Then when faced with visual evidence as to why Schaub is doing what he's doing at times....noone has anything to say about it...par for the course around here.

Here is the key to whether or not schaub goes deep or not...zone vs. man. That's it..period. When teams run zone against us, he can have a field day b/c the WR's are finding holes in the secondary and aren't neccessarily being held by any 1 person and there's plenty of room to make throws. When they run man, he struggles at times & has to check it down alot largly b/c the WR's can't separate. In the NE game and in the GB game those teams ran a ton of man against us. In the NE game in particular i remember Mike Mayock going crazy about the fact Talib was singling up on AJ and was getting away with it. The colts did it as well. Of course Schaub's ability to zip it has some bearing on that, but not much in my opinion b/c you don't want your qb's making tight throws like that too much anyway, regardless of their arm strength...It's the WR's more than anything. teams just feel that player for player, our WR's can't beat their cb's 1 on 1.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read