Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-03-2013   #1
coon
Veteran

Rep Power: 4738 coon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The Kubiak Conundrum

If we go one and done in the playoffs, is it time to let Kubiak go? The Kubiak conundrum is a difficult one to navigate. He is by no means a bad coach, but is he good enough to win a superbowl, could we even upgrade? The Kubiak conundrum is a interesting one, we can't replace our coach unless it is with a better one.

The way I see it there aren't many people that would be an upgrade. The one coach I would like to see us look at if Kubiak can't turn this around is Nick Saban. He is a grinder from the Belichick tree, who always has his teams prepared and is a defensive guru. He wasn't as unsuccessful as you might think in Miami. He went 15-17 with Daunte Cullpepper's corpse and Cleo Lemon. Would the Texans job be enough to make him leave Alabama.

If necessary,who do you think could replace Kubiak and bring us to the promise land?

Last edited by coon; 01-03-2013 at 12:54 PM.
coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013   #2
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 99520 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Kubiak Conundrum

Like it or not Kubiak isn't going anywhere for quite some time, no matter the results.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013   #3
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 263559 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

How many times did Dungy & Manning go one & done before they won a Super Bowl?
Old 01-03-2013   #4
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
How many times did Dungy & Manning go one & done before they won a Super Bowl?
Too many

The only reason they got there was a terrible missed PI call that went against New England.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013   #5
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
Like it or not Kubiak isn't going anywhere for quite some time, no matter the results.
I thought he would only accept a short term deal of three years? One more year & he could become a lame duck HC way things are trending

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013   #6
coon
Veteran

Rep Power: 4738 coon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I know he won't go anywhere, and with 2 straight postseason's and a 12-4 record I don't know if he should. This wasn't meant to be a fire Kubiak thing, just trying to funnel the Kubiak hate. Those that want Kubiak gone, who would you hire? Saban is the only coach I could think of that could do better.
coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013   #7
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 283140 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by coon View Post
I know he won't go anywhere, and with 2 straight postseason's and a 12-4 record I don't know if he should. This wasn't meant to be a fire Kubiak thing, just trying to funnel the Kubiak hate. Those that want Kubiak gone, who would you hire? Saban is the only coach I could think of that could do better.
You make a good point. Kubiak is most certainly not the worst head coach in the league, we could do worse. Much worse. That doesn't keep me from disliking Kubiac though.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-03-2013   #8
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 112249 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

I say we change the name of the city to belicekville, give him the keys to the city and name a holiday after him. Who else could make a guy named named woodhead look good.

Seriously though he is one of the best coaches even when brady went out that whole season they didn't miss a beat.
Old 01-03-2013   #9
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 32907 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
I say we change the name of the city to belicekville, give him the keys to the city and name a holiday after him. Who else could make a guy named named woodhead look good.

Seriously though he is one of the best coaches even when brady went out that whole season they didn't miss a beat.
Yeh, but can we afford his film crew?
Old 01-03-2013   #10
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by coon View Post
No.

POSSIBILITY 1:

I'd wait 1 or 2 more years, then go after Kevin Sumlin (Texas A&M).

Keep Case Keenum aboard, let them reunite and go to school on NFL defenses. Everything is moving toward PASSING GAME. The new rules, and the ones that will surely come down in the future, are made for it.

Less hard tackling, less hits on QBs and WRs (to reduce concussions and legal liabilities in the future) means the passing game will be the key to the future.

We wouldn't be able to get Manziel, but then again I am not so sure he can translate to the pro game. He's a concussion waiting to happen, IMO. At least with Keenum, he'd have a HC who supports his style of play...and he'd be a HELL of a lot more mobile than Schaub The Blob.

This also dove tails nicely with Bob's need to keep Houston roots alive and well once he chops down the Kubiak tree.

POSSIBILITY 2:

I wouldn't rule out another potential move: Firing Kubiak, making Wade SON OF BUM Phillips head coach (Vance Jospeh becomes d-coord), and then Wade hiring Kevin Sumlin as O-Coordinator. And Case becomes the defacto QB, as well. It'd be a University of Houston SWEEP. Wade keeps saying he wants to be a HC again, and if things keep going badly for Gary's offense...well, you heard it here first, folks.
Old 01-03-2013   #11
GNTLEWOLF
All Pro

Rep Power: 3825 GNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Skype™ to GNTLEWOLF

as much as I would love to replace Kubiak, I just don't see a team with a 12-4 regular season record as replacing the head coach. Under normal circumstances that record is grounds for long term extension talk. It has happened a few times in the past however with varying degrees of success, like when Tampa fired Dungy because he couldn't get them past that second round of the play-offs. but usually that move just doesn't bode well for teams, So, I think we will be stuck with the turtle for a while to come.
GNTLEWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 263559 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
(Vance Jospeh becomes d-coord)
I don't know why we haven't fired Marciano & make Vance the special teams coach.

Personally I think that would be the next move for Vance, before going to defensive coordinator. He needs to work on other positions, other aspects of the game before he goes to DC. Maybe LB coach..

But I think Special Teams is a little more involved than a "position" coach since there is so much involved.
Old 01-03-2013   #13
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Old 01-03-2013   #14
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8735 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
No.

POSSIBILITY 1:

I'd wait 1 or 2 more years, then go after Kevin Sumlin (Texas A&M).

Keep Case Keenum aboard, let them reunite and go to school on NFL defenses. Everything is moving toward PASSING GAME. The new rules, and the ones that will surely come down in the future, are made for it.

Less hard tackling, less hits on QBs and WRs (to reduce concussions and legal liabilities in the future) means the passing game will be the key to the future.

We wouldn't be able to get Manziel, but then again I am not so sure he can translate to the pro game. He's a concussion waiting to happen, IMO. At least with Keenum, he'd have a HC who supports his style of play...and he'd be a HELL of a lot more mobile than Schaub The Blob.

This also dove tails nicely with Bob's need to keep Houston roots alive and well once he chops down the Kubiak tree.

POSSIBILITY 2:

I wouldn't rule out another potential move: Firing Kubiak, making Wade SON OF BUM Phillips head coach (Vance Jospeh becomes d-coord), and then Wade hiring Kevin Sumlin as O-Coordinator. And Case becomes the defacto QB, as well. It'd be a University of Houston SWEEP. Wade keeps saying he wants to be a HC again, and if things keep going badly for Gary's offense...well, you heard it here first, folks.
Case Keenum is like the girl from highschool that your dating and you sweer that she is the one, the only girl for you. When in reality she is just someone close by that you know and feel comfortable with. There are literally millions of other girls that you would be more compatable with. I won't say there are millions of better qb's than Case Keenum but you get the idea.
Old 01-03-2013   #15
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 307979 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

If Kubiak goes ZBS goes, some of the O-linemen no longer fit, Arian becomes pedestrian ..... it'll be a few year retooling of the offense.

And make no mistake, he'll be back at the job somewhere else lickety-split.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013   #16
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
^^^^
This
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read