Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-16-2012   #1
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default DeVier Posey

I saw the 3rd round draft pick getting a good amount of playing time today. That was a pleasant surprise. I don't know if he was in because LeStar Jean, KJ, or Martin was hurt, or if he's recently been impressing Kubiak in practices. But he didn't look like a lost puppy out there. Glad to see it.
Old 12-16-2012   #2
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: DeVier Posey

Glad to see he's out of the dog house.
I've always liked him.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012   #3
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 205206 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

His second catch of the game was impressive. He attacked that ball.
Old 12-16-2012   #4
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75384 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubes has been trying hard these last few games to get 1 of these other guys to step up and take
The pressure off AJ and Daniels in the passing game. So far:

Jean hasn't been able to separate and get open/stay healthy all year
Martin has been inconsistent at best and i think he's had his hands full with ST duties.

Walter is who he is.....a #3 option that likely wont be around next year b/c of his cap hit.

I think Posey becoming a factor today isn't conicidental. Kubes just wanted to be sure the kid was ready to contribute and that he wasn't abandoning his other youngins too early..
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012   #5
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Kubes has been trying hard these last few games to get 1 of these other guys to step up and take

Martin has been inconsistent at best and i think he's had his hands full with ST duties.

Walter is who he is.....a #3 option that likely wont be around next year b/c of his cap hit.

I think Posey becoming a factor today isn't conicidental. Kubes just wanted to be sure the kid was ready to contribute and that he wasn't abandoning his other youngins too early..
*Jean has everything but is still work in progress because he lacks core strength.
*Martin is adjusting to route running & needs to use his body to shield the defender off or draw interference penalty (should have gotten a call against NE).
*Walter is a Texan & will retire as one, taking pay cut to help his team if needed.
*Most important thing for Posey is confidence. More PT will help especially if its all good. He reminds me a little of Mario Manningham combination of quickness & pass snagging ability. Better upside as WR than Jacoby whom I believe he was drafted to replace.

BL

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012   #6
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 18132 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

He looked Victor Cruzish to me.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012   #7
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I was against this draft pick on draft day.

I was somewhat against him in camp.

Over time, I have begun to believe that YEAH I was probably knee-jerking, just because of off-the-field stuff and having been out of football almost that whole final college season at OSU.

The way he's been brought along is genius. I never really have any fault with Kubiak for how he selects guys, how he chooses to bring them along, and then how he uses them in games. He's very smart with that. And it looks like he's made what might be a really solid pickup at WR for us by drafting Mr. Posey.

I also like us going more 5 WR today than I've really seen us do in awhile. We need to make defenses think a little bit out there. Not every games has to be the standard 2 WR, 1 TE, HB, RB formation.

A little Run-N-Shoot isn't bad.
Old 12-16-2012   #8
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 25813 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Marcus,

I'm glad you posted this. I was going to post something similar, and I don't think I'm making a mountain out of a molehill by saying that something was just special about Posey today.

It wasn't just his seperation, the position of his hands, or his route running that seperated him from Jean and Martin, today...it was the "It-Factor" where he looked liked he just belonged.

I mean, I came into this game thinking the Texans were still one WR and one pass rusher away from a championship. The way Posey played made me rethink that.

Not big numbers, nothing flashy...but "it?" Yeah, "It!"
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012   #9
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post
Marcus,

I'm glad you posted this. I was going to post something similar, and I don't think I'm making a mountain out of a molehill by saying that something was just special about Posey today.

It wasn't just his seperation, the position of his hands, or his route running that seperated him from Jean and Martin, today...it was the "It-Factor" where he looked liked he just belonged.

I mean, I came into this game thinking the Texans were still one WR and one pass rusher away from a championship. The way Posey played made me rethink that.

Not big numbers, nothing flashy...but "it?" Yeah, "It!"
Yep, he looked It today. Hope, he continues to show us It factor.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012   #10
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75384 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
*Jean has everything but is still work in progress because he lacks core strength.
*Martin is adjusting to route running & needs to use his body to shield the defender off or draw interference penalty (should have gotten a call against NE).
*Walter is a Texan & will retire as one, taking pay cut to help his team if needed.
*Most important thing for Posey is confidence. More PT will help especially if its all good. He reminds me a little of Mario Manningham combination of quickness & pass snagging ability. Better upside as WR than Jacoby whom I believe he was drafted to replace.

BL
I dont deny it could go the way you are saying..but here's how i see it.

Martin is doing exactly what everyone thought he'd be doing when we drafted him...returning punts and kicks. So he's not going anywhere imo.

And Jean....These last few games we've targeted him alot....and he's never been really been open....maybe a half step at the most. Early in the NE game and in today's game, kubes/schaub threw it up to him and the guy just cant really beat his man consistently. And its not like he's facing a teams # 1 db..he's facing nickel dbs and safeties. Even in the Tenn game where he scored...he wasnt really open, schaub just threaded the needle to him and griffin gambled.

Im sure that if posey shows anything these next few weeks jean will be relegated to a special teamer for the rest of his tenure here....which is where he should be imo. Im not saying the guy has no value to this team, just dont think he can be counted on as a key contributor going forward.

& walter...i just dont think we can continue to waste a roster spot on him just because he is a "lunch pail" guy that kubes loves to keep around.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194572 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
And Jean....These last few games we've targeted him alot....and he's never been really been open....maybe a half step at the most. Early in the NE game and in today's game, kubes/schaub threw it up to him and the guy just cant really beat his man consistently. And its not like he's facing a teams # 1 db..he's facing nickel dbs and safeties. Even in the Tenn game where he scored...he wasnt really open, schaub just threaded the needle to him and griffin gambled.
I thought Jean was WTF open on all but two of those targets vs New England. He looks good to me. Why Posey got more snaps today, I don't know. But I don't think Jean is disappointing the staff.
Old 12-16-2012   #12
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 6498 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

My only problem with the Posey pick is that I think we could have had him later in the draft and didn't need to use a 3rd to get him.

Still, he's come along well. I'm hoping AJ takes him under his wing and makes him a #2.

My guess is Walter is gone unless he takes a big pay cut. He may do so, he doesn't seem to be a guy who's in it for the money alone.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012   #13
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 118955 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I dont deny it could go the way you are saying..but here's how i see it.

Martin is doing exactly what everyone thought he'd be doing when we drafted him...returning punts and kicks. So he's not going anywhere imo.

Im sure that if posey shows anything these next few weeks jean will be relegated to a special teamer for the rest of his tenure here....which is where he should be imo. Im not saying the guy has no value to this team, just dont think he can be counted on as a key contributor going forward.

& walter...i just dont think we can continue to waste a roster spot on him just because he is a "lunch pail" guy that kubes loves to keep around.
Going to agree with Fiddler on Jean and he has career 6 of 11 targets for 151 yds avg 25. He needs to work on his hands and looking the ball in. As BL said he needs to improve strength to battle ball away from DB as we say AJ do. When he does these, Schaub will trust him and increase his looks. Jean offer as much as many of the second round draft hopefuls. As an UDFA at less than $1millon total next two seasons, I think Kubes will work him in. I favor him much more than you but understand your position.
Old 12-17-2012   #14
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 118955 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post

BL
This /\. I expect to see much more out of Posey and Jean next two games. I would love to take WR off my draft board!
Old 12-18-2012   #15
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 24667 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Well said. Jean has gotten open some times but that is mainly against zone coverage. He has not been able to consistently beat someone man to man. After all folks look at his size which teams generally drool over but there's a reason the guy wasn't drafted. He's not very fast. A 4.61 forty can tell you that but Schaub made pretty evident when he said Jean has 'Deceptive speed'. That's like when your buddy sets you up on a blind date and you ask if they look good and they respond with 'They have a wonderful personality!' He's pretty good against zone coverage but is quite similar to Walter when it comes to separation.

Posey simply has more tools so we need to slow down a bit with Jean being an eventual Dre replacement. I would someone a bit more well rounded as a #1. Posey would have more chance at that then Jean since he has size and speed.

Put it like this. At no point in this season has anyone really 'split' time with Walter at #2. Jean got some snaps but Walter still would have no less than double of his snaps. This past game? Walter 38 snaps....Posey 36.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012   #16
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 73223 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=deucetx;2082894]Well said. Jean has gotten open some times but that is mainly against zone coverage. He has not been able to consistently beat someone man to man. After all folks look at his size which teams generally drool over but there's a reason the guy wasn't drafted. He's not very fast. A 4.61 forty can tell you that but Schaub made pretty evident when he said Jean has 'Deceptive speed'. That's like when your buddy sets you up on a blind date and you ask if they look good and they respond with 'They have a wonderful personality!' He's pretty good against zone coverage but is quite similar to Walter when it comes to separation.

Posey simply has more tools so we need to slow down a bit with Jean being an eventual Dre replacement. I would someone a bit more well rounded as a #1. Posey would have more chance at that then Jean since he has size and speed.

Put it like this. At no point in this season has anyone really 'split' time with Walter at #2. Jean got some snaps but Walter still would have no less than double of his snaps. This past game? Walter 38 snaps....Posey 36.[/QUOTE]

Geez, I didn't realize ti was that many. Glad to finally see him on the field.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012   #17
badboy
Site Contributor

[quote=drs23;2083256]
Quote:
Originally Posted by deucetx View Post
Well said. Jean has gotten open some times but that is mainly against zone coverage. He has not been able to consistently beat someone man to man. After all folks look at his size which teams generally drool over but there's a reason the guy wasn't drafted. He's not very fast. A 4.61 forty can tell you that but Schaub made pretty evident when he said Jean has 'Deceptive speed'. That's like when your buddy sets you up on a blind date and you ask if they look good and they respond with 'They have a wonderful personality!' He's pretty good against zone coverage but is quite similar to Walter when it comes to separation.

Put it like this. At no point in this season has anyone really 'split' time with Walter at #2. Jean got some snaps but Walter still would have no less than double of his snaps. This past game? Walter 38 snaps....Posey 36.[/QUOTE]

Geez, I didn't realize ti was that many. Glad to finally see him on the field.
In this video he pronounces his name and states his improvement in 40 from 4.8s to 4.5s.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81cKL...e_gdata_player

Combine 4.59 unofficial. I had much rather see him increase his ability to pull ball down against close coverage and take it away from DBs like we saw AJ do recently.
Old 12-19-2012   #18
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69234 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=badboy;2084073]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
In this video he pronounces his name and states his improvement in 40 from 4.8s to 4.5s.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81cKL...e_gdata_player

Combine 4.59 unofficial. I had much rather see him increase his ability to pull ball down against close coverage and take it away from DBs like we saw AJ do recently.
Posey seems faster than that in pads.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012   #19
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 205206 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Well said. Jean has gotten open some times but that is mainly against zone coverage. He has not been able to consistently beat someone man to man. After all folks look at his size which teams generally drool over but there's a reason the guy wasn't drafted. He's not very fast. A 4.61 forty can tell you that but Schaub made pretty evident when he said Jean has 'Deceptive speed'.
OK, let's figure out how to make a physics word problem out of this.

Lestar Jean runs a 4.61 second 40-yd dash. Matt Schaub has a noodle arm and can't throw the ball 60 yards. How many seconds into the play will Schaub have to release the ball in order for Andre Johnson to have to stop and wait for the ball in order for AJ to match Jean's 4.61 second 40 yard time?

Well .... you get the point anyway. Having fast receivers would be just as great as having a QB that could throw him open.
Old 12-20-2012   #20
TejasTom
Get #80 a ring!

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 33986 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post

Posey seems faster than that in pads.
Posey is faster than that. His combine time was 4.37.

The numbers quoted were for Jean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
OK, let's figure out how to make a physics word problem out of this.

Lestar Jean runs a 4.61 second 40-yd dash. Matt Schaub has a noodle arm and can't throw the ball 60 yards. How many seconds into the play will Schaub have to release the ball in order for Andre Johnson to have to stop and wait for the ball in order for AJ to match Jean's 4.61 second 40 yard time?

Well .... you get the point anyway. Having fast receivers would be just as great as having a QB that could throw him open.
I don't know about Jean, but if Schaub takes a 5 step drop Dre has already out ran his arm.

Last edited by TejasTom; 12-20-2012 at 12:31 PM.
TejasTom is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read