Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-03-2012   #1
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Jim Rome gives his take . . .

link

Quote:
►JIM ROME GIVES HIS TAKE ON PRETENDERS AND CONTENDERS

There are no super teams in the NFL this year, just a handful of very good teams. There are pretenders, contenders and one team to beat. You can't call the Chicago Bears a contender when they're not even the best team in their own division. They don't beat Green Bay with Jay Cutler, and they won't beat anyone without him – pretender.

So much to like about the Texans, a game-breaking running back in Arian Foster, a game changing pass rusher in J.J. Watt, but a defense that's hemorrhaging that just made Chad Henne look like John Elway –pretender.

The Broncos are a force because Von Miller is a freak. And if they'd can get to the second round with Tim Tebow playing quarterback, think how far they'll get with a quarterback playing quarterback – contender.

As usual, with the Patriots, it's time Tom Brady, and his tight ends and a bunch of ghosts on defense. Their window has already slammed shut. They just don't know it – pretender.

I asked Aaron Rodgers if his team is Super Bowl good. He said not yet. He’s right. He's the best player in the game, but even he can't win a Super Bowl lying on his back. Not yet, not this year – pretender.

As for the quarterback issue in San Francisco, Jim Harbaugh can start himself, for all I care. As long as he starts Willis, Bowman, Smith and Smith on defense, nobody wants any part of the dudes in gold helmets –contender.

The Atlanta Falcons haven't shown up for a playoff game in the last two years. This year they finally ball- up because they finally D-up, ask Drew Brees – contender.

I love Ray Rice converting a fourth-and-29 for the Ravens. I hate that he needed it to beat the Chargers. Joe Flacco's mojo doesn't travel – pretender.

If I have to call my shot, I'm calling it on the 7‑4 snake in the grass, New York Giants. Nobody in sports flips the switch like the G-men. Get to January and ride or die with Eli, his freaky wide-outs and the QB killers on the D‑line. If I'm rolling with one team, I'm getting behind Big Blue.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012   #2
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jim Rome gives his take . . .

Patriots and Texans, both pretenders, happened to miraculously beat Denver, a contender.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012   #3
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
Patriots and Texans, both pretenders, happened to miraculously beat Denver, a contender.
I can understand his reasoning for calling the Texans pretenders at this point a defense that is hemoraging because of all the injuries.

They ran out their 5th and 6th CB's yesterday against the Titans in the second half.
Four of their top 5 LBers are hurt too in Cushing , James , Reed and Dobbins and NT Cody was out for a while.

Thats about as close to a defense hemoraging as you can get ....

The fact that they have continued to post W's despite all those injuries does lead me to believe that Rome's opinion is wrong .... tho if they dont get some of these guy's back by playoff time and the quality of opponent improves .... we might be lookin for excuses again.

The Texans beat Denver when they were relatively healthy .... we're a long way from that now.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012   #4
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
The fact that they have continued to post W's despite all those injuries does lead me to believe that Rome's opinion is wrong .... tho if they dont get some of these guy's back by playoff time and the quality of opponent improves .... we might be lookin for excuses again.

The Texans beat Denver when they were relatively healthy .... we're a long way from that now.
I think the Ws just tells you how good our coaches are. Across the board. I don't think Rome is necessarily wrong, he calls it like he sees it. Like you said, this is not the same team that beat the Broncos & those aren't the same Broncos we beat. We were the veteran team then. We were the team with continuity & team veterans. Now, it's completely flopped. They're perfecting their schemes & packages they've been installing since September.

We're still trying to figure out who is going to start next 6 days.

We've got time now, to close that gap by the time we have to see them in the play-offs. If we see them in the play-offs and it's going to be a whole new game.
Old 12-03-2012   #5
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So much to like about the Texans, a game-breaking running back in Arian Foster, a game changing pass rusher in J.J. Watt, but a defense that's hemorrhaging that just made Chad Henne look like John Elway –pretender.

'nuff said
Old 12-03-2012   #6
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Everybody's got an opinion.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012   #7
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Might as well piggyback this thread and post Peter King's top 5 teams:

Quote:
Fine Fifteen

1. New England (9-3). What a schedule over the next two months, of games scheduled and not (yet) scheduled. Tick ... tick ... tick.

2. Houston (11-1). Just seven days until Texans-Pats, Monday-nighter, Foxboro.

3. San Francisco (8-3-1). Just 13 days until Niners-Pats, Sunday-nighter, Foxboro.

4. Denver (9-3). Just 48 days until Broncos-Pats, AFC Championship Game, Foxboro.

5. Atlanta (11-1). Just 62 days until Falcons-Pats, Super Bowl XLVII, New Orleans.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-03-2012   #8
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

It's hard for me to understand how I used to listen to his show.... it's time for Mr. Rome, to ride into the sunset with his millions, if you ask me...
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012   #9
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
It's hard for me to understand how I used to listen to his show.... it's time for Mr. Rome, to ride into the sunset with his millions, if you ask me...
His act is so not fresh...
Old 12-03-2012   #10
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 125380 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

If they don't get the pass defense worked out soon, I can't really argue with him. Imagine having to face The Fivehead again in the playoffs with the way things are now compared to how they played with a fully healthy defense. It would be ugly.

Luckily, they've still got a few weeks to work things out and get healthy.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012   #11
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
If they don't get the pass defense worked out soon, I can't really argue with him. Imagine having to face The Fivehead again in the playoffs with the way things are now compared to how they played with a fully healthy defense. It would be ugly.

Luckily, they've still got a few weeks to work things out and get healthy.
If we face The Fivehead again, it'll be in Reliant Stadium. Eardrums will be destroyed and so will The Fivehead's mojo. Can you imagine how loud that stadium will be with the Texans facing Peyton Manning in the playoffs?
Old 12-03-2012   #12
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Rome missed on the "do not suck" part.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012   #13
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Rome missed on the "do not suck" part.
Nice take, Playoffs.

"Rack Him!"
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012   #14
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Wait, is there a BCS for the NFL that determines who will play whom for the Super Bowl?

No?

Well then.....

DDDOOOOONNNN'T CAAAAAAAARE
Old 12-03-2012   #15
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79339 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

lol Jim Rome. What a jabroni.
TheMatrix31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012   #16
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
lol Jim Rome. What a jabroni.
It's sad that there are literally hundreds of thousands of his fellow doosh nozzles out there who have made him filthy rich for being a doosh nozzle.

He's that P.O.S. we all knew in high school that always had a smart mouth and certain people thought it was awesome...so he had a cult following. Except now he got to be a celebrity and people think he's super awesome now.

I always tried to listen to his radio show off and on, and could never EVER get into it. I'd turn it off 10 minutes into it. The dead air, the inside jokes, the horrible pacing of his speech. How he got big is a mystery to me. Doosh nozzles made him big, I guess.
Old 12-03-2012   #17
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53113 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

I stopped caring about what this guy thinks around the time this classic ********* beatdown aired.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...UKTwgqeY#t=42s
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012   #18
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by paycheck71 View Post
I stopped caring about what this guy thinks around the time this classic ********* beatdown aired.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...UKTwgqeY#t=42s
Ah the fresh 1994 video, that somebody posts literally everytime somebody mentions Jim Rome.

Anyway, never convinced that there was not some pro wrestling fraud to this. i mean dude didn't actually become 'famous' until after this thing happened.
Old 12-03-2012   #19
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=57W05-oopNA
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012   #20
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 91895 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Jim Rome is probably still pissed cus his show was dropped in Houston.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read