Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012   #1
badboy
Site Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clear Lake
Posts: 22,736
Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 11-1 thoughts

After watching Texans, it is obvious to me (still) that NT is our only dire need. I have to go that direction in first as only one after that round that I think that might start Sylvester Williams, should be there in second. I am very ambivalent about him. Williams gets some glowing praises from some and I like his personal story but his age next season 25 and actually watching him play makes me very cautious. I do think Alabama's Williams an early favorite of mine will be gone by our selection in first. I think it will be a reach but I have been so impressed with Luis Nix lll, I am moving him up from round two. The ND/Alabama game should be outstanding. Perfect scenario for me would be Smith trading up in high second to get Nix. I really like Baylor's Terrence Williams but LeStar Jean showed me what I needed against Tenn and he could be the heir to AJ. Williams in first, Nix high 2nd with OLB at our own 2nd would be thrilling. If Nix is gone (and may be if he explodes at combine) I'll probably look at Brandon Williams Missouri Southern State. I have not watched games but was alerted to him by another poster's comments. Reminds me of Nix in effort from film I've seen.

I have been resisting giving up on Quanteras Smith but since his ACL I have not been able to find if he had surgery yet. I have been watching and researching So Cal's DE Morgan Briesland. I did not focus on him because my previous mocks did not allow for OLB in second where Brisland should land. 6'2" 250 a junior transfer he had 17.5 TFL and 11.5 sacks. 53 total tackles and 4 pass deflections with one forced fumble. I want to watch at combine to see if he can make transfer to OLB. He has been named as one of six for Ted Hendricks award with winner announced Dec 5th. Most of you remember USC's Nick Perry (Packers) as a finalist and his replacement was Brisland.
__________________
I want to be able to recognize the difference between a "want" and a "need" and then I want to be satisfied with getting a need
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012   #2
Corrosion
Hall of Fame
 
Corrosion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Northwest Houston
Age: 46
Posts: 31,096
Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 11-1 thoughts

NT could use an upgrade , but I think its far from the only position of need .... OG , RT , CB , ILB and WR are all a higher priority pending Cody is resigned.

Along the OL we have to consider the pending rules changes .... and the fact that this team averages less than 4 ypc despite leading the league in attempts.
Butler probably wont be retained , Harris is on a 1 year deal and Newton has not impressed in run blocking (Been real solid in pass protection).
I was actually impressed with Gardner yesterday when he replaced Brown for a few plays in comparison to what he looked like in preseason. Possible that he looked so bad because of the quality of players along that second unit with him.
Swing tackle and RT could be huge questionmarks going into next season.

CB - McCain and Ball will be a FA's , Harris and Carmichael played "decent" when pressed into action but the depth at the position has to be a priority. Just look at the second half of yesterdays game and see that the #5 & 6 CB's were forced into action for a reminder. To quote Rick Smith - "You can never have enough CB's."

ILB - Cushing , James and Dobbins have been hurt in recent weeks forcing the signing of a street FA in Ruud into the starting lineup along with Sharpton who has had a history of injury himself. James is also on a one year deal.

WR - This bunch is ... I just dont know what to think of them. Maybe its Schaub , maybe its Kubiak , maybe its them .... but there is a lack of a vertical threat to this offense.
I want to believe that one of Martin , Posey or Jean can be that guy .... but they havent shown it yet. They have 4 games + the playoff to get off my sh!t list.

There are other needs too .... but each of those listed above I think is more pressing than NT as long as Cody is resigned and you could make an arguement for each getting first or second round consideration.
__________________



Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012   #3
badboy
Site Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clear Lake
Posts: 22,736
Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 11-1 thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
NT could use an upgrade , but I think its far from the only position of need .... OG , RT , CB , ILB and WR are all a higher priority pending Cody is resigned.

Along the OL we have to consider the pending rules changes .... and the fact that this team averages less than 4 ypc despite leading the league in attempts.
Butler probably wont be retained , Harris is on a 1 year deal and Newton has not impressed in run blocking (Been real solid in pass protection).
I was actually impressed with Gardner yesterday when he replaced Brown for a few plays in comparison to what he looked like in preseason. Possible that he looked so bad because of the quality of players along that second unit with him.
Swing tackle and RT could be huge questionmarks going into next season.

CB - McCain and Ball will be a FA's , Harris and Carmichael played "decent" when pressed into action but the depth at the position has to be a priority. Just look at the second half of yesterdays game and see that the #5 & 6 CB's were forced into action for a reminder. To quote Rick Smith - "You can never have enough CB's."

ILB - Cushing , James and Dobbins have been hurt in recent weeks forcing the signing of a street FA in Ruud into the starting lineup along with Sharpton who has had a history of injury himself. James is also on a one year deal.

WR - This bunch is ... I just dont know what to think of them. Maybe its Schaub , maybe its Kubiak , maybe its them .... but there is a lack of a vertical threat to this offense.
I want to believe that one of Martin , Posey or Jean can be that guy .... but they havent shown it yet. They have 4 games + the playoff to get off my sh!t list.

There are other needs too .... but each of those listed above I think is more pressing than NT as long as Cody is resigned and you could make an arguement for each getting first or second round consideration.
NT dire, others a bit less. I thing except for Myers we would be ok if blocking rule changes as all are strong id not huge like Newton,Brown and Brooks. I think many underestimate Wade Smith's strength. The per carry avg is effected by new guys I am thinking + Foster huge attempts. Hopefully Tate and more of Forsett as we saw against Tenn will increase. Butler gone but I think Harris will be back as I think ZBS better on his back. Newton is basically in his rookie year so we need to give him same leeway as Brown got. I'll probably have at least one Olineman in my final mock but 3rd or later. You are on target with Gardner also as I too was impressed. He just doesn't get many reps behind Brown. I actually believe Butler would have looked better as LT next to Smith than RT next to whoever lined up at RG early this year. If Smith agrees, Rashad could be back.

Not sure Ball will get any more than Texans & might be back. Joseph and KJ with Harris replacing McCain. Carmichael backing up J JO. I think a corner will be drafted but late. Quin in a pinch could move & I wonder if Keyaron Fox could play safety/LB as Quin has done? I think Smith will bring in a couple UDFA and street guys also.

ILB was a dire need for me but James, Dobbing and Sharpton (especially this guy) have played well over all. Injuries happen but if Smith can find a Ruud, why limit him next year? I am locked into Andrew Jackson in 3rd.

Definitely understand your concerns but when was the last consistent deep threat we had? Walter and AJ can usually off Schaub's hide the rock that he does so well. Weakest link imo is Posey simply because he cannot get on field. Hopefully, he is soaking it up in practise cuase he ain't going anywhere. AFter round two I do not see any college player beating out AJ/Walter/Jean/Martin or Posey. I could see a project late who is a solid return in case Martin is hurt. Throw OD in mix...no worries, mate!

Jean has what it takes to eventually replace AJ & could move to other side starter '13. I honestly thought it was AJ that scored that TD despite seeing 18. The people I was watching game with thought I was being sarcastic yelling go AJ! Jean reminds me a lot of Andre.
__________________
I want to be able to recognize the difference between a "want" and a "need" and then I want to be satisfied with getting a need
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012   #4
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor
 
SAMURAITEXAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Posts: 3,426
Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 11-1 thoughts

Beside NT and CB positions, I would like for the Texans to draft tall DE that may able to start in a few years from now if not immediate. Also, RT and S. RT, I would like for the Texans to draft by 3rd rd where talented RT may still be available. What do you think?

Go Texans!!!
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012   #5
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame
 
Wolf6151's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pearland, Texas
Posts: 3,296
Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 11-1 thoughts

My random thought at 11-1

*I agree with BB, NT in the 1st unless one of the really good WR falls to us and that's highly unlikely. I like Nix but think he's gone before our pick. I also like Kawann Short and Sylvester Williams in the late 1st round, both have great size for the position and athleticism/agility you don't see in a big man often. I like Jesse Williams, and I know he's listed as a 1st round prospect but I think he lacks lateral agility and falls to the mid 2nd round.
*WR is our other big need, I like Martin in the slot and I think he's here for a long time, Jean and Posey haven't shown much of anything and should be fighting for a roster spot next season. AJ and Walter are getting older and WR is a big need, 1st - 3rd round. I really like Quinton Patton in the 2nd or 3rd round, though this seems to be a deep year at WR but lacking the elite talent at the top.
*ILB, James started off the season slow but has been playing well since mid season, Dobbins plays the run well and can lay the big hit, Sharpton has surprised me and played better than I expected, and Ruud played well Sunday but I need to see more from him. I think this is a testament to Wade and his assistants. A younger, cheaper, thumper in the middle would be nice but it's still usually a 2 down position so a mid round pick. I think one of either James, Dobbins, or Sharpton are gone next year along with Ruud.
*CB, I think we lose McCain to FA and his recent foot injury might be a blessing as it give Harris much needed playing time to develop and us time to assess him. Roc looks decent as well and is good depth. If one of the top CB's (Banks) falls to us in the 1st then grab him but that's highly unlikely so go with mid round pick. I like Johnny Adams from Mich. St..
*O-line, I'm gonna stick with Newton at RT for now, he's played well but not great and like any new guy needs time to develop. I think we could use a new swing tackle in the draft unless Kubiak and Co. are impressed with either Harris or Gardner enough to keep them around at the position, but I think one of them is gone next year. I would like at least 1 O-lineman in the 2nd or 3rd round, an OT that can play OT and OG. Dallas Thomas or Ricky Wagner would be nice, maybe Xavier Nixon. A later round OG would be nice as well to add depth.
*OLB, I'd really like to keep Barwin but am slowly beginning to think like others that he may be gone in FA and we then take a mid-late round OLB for depth. This might be thinking outside the box but I'd sure like to see Wade move Reed to WILB, next to Cushing, and keep Barwin at SOLB and Mercilus at WOLB. I think Reed could handle the position change and then we'd draft a mid round OLB instead of ILB.

Also with all the success we've had it's going to be hard to keep all our assistant coaches, I sure hope we can.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012   #6
badboy
Site Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clear Lake
Posts: 22,736
Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 11-1 thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMURAITEXAN View Post
Beside NT and CB positions, I would like for the Texans to draft tall DE that may able to start in a few years from now if not immediate. Also, RT and S. RT, I would like for the Texans to draft by 3rd rd where talented RT may still be available. What do you think?

Go Texans!!!
check out Kapron Lewis-Moore ND 6'4" 302. Little publicity but always after the ball. I have him in 6th but may climb; however do not see DE as high round need as Crick is looking pretty good. Should take over for Smith in '14.

Convince me Newton is not our starter for future. I don't see Harris playing left tackle and probably will not get much in free agency. I think we can keep him. Gardner did ok against Tenn when Brown went out injured. I have Rick Wagner in 4th and on current mock I'm working on have Arkansas' Alvin Bailey who switches between LG & RG every game.
__________________
I want to be able to recognize the difference between a "want" and a "need" and then I want to be satisfied with getting a need
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012   #7
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor
 
SAMURAITEXAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Posts: 3,426
Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 11-1 thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
check out Kapron Lewis-Moore ND 6'4" 302. Little publicity but always after the ball. I have him in 6th but may climb; however do not see DE as high round need as Crick is looking pretty good. Should take over for Smith in '14.

Convince me Newton is not our starter for future. I don't see Harris playing left tackle and probably will not get much in free agency. I think we can keep him. Gardner did ok against Tenn when Brown went out injured. I have Rick Wagner in 4th and on current mock I'm working on have Arkansas' Alvin Bailey who switches between LG & RG every game.
Thanks for info badboy. As you know, I don't much follow NCAA football. Your Amigos always amazes me with all the prospects evaluation. It always helps me understand better about prospects that I am not aware of.

DE position, Although Crick is looking pretty good, we ain't sure if Antonio sticks around with the Texans and would like to have good depth if not starter at the position. I want tall and long guy that able to swatted of passes like Watt(I know, not Watt level but capable of doing some of that duty with good motor to pressure QB). I am kind intrigued by SMU's German guy. Hunt?

RT position, Newton looks good but still right side seems weaker than last year which concerns me. I would like to see quality depth if not starter type material. Is there any good RT mid rd prospects that fits our scheme out there?
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-10-2012   #8
Rey
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 14,475
Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
A.Smith isn't going anywhere until his contract expires. Wade has already said Crick is his replacement. I can't see using a high pick for a back up in this draft. 2014 on..we can go BPA. We need a NT, WR and maybe an OLB before another DE. If we could get say WR Terrance Williams, a nose in second, I could see using a third on Hunt as long as we get ILB with the other third. I'd rather go for an OL myself.
They also said the slot cb was Brandon harris' last year.

And I dont even recall seeing where he named crick smiths replacement.

But even if he did, you need good quality depth on the d line.

And it depends on the talent level of guys. If he is the best player on board then I say take him. We need more talent.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #9
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Age: 28
Posts: 7,648
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 11-1 thoughts

Yeah, after last night I'd say you can lock up Ansah, Hunt and a load of DBs. Or trade it all away for a franchise QB prospect. If pass rush is the way to stop franchise QBs...and you need a 10 to do it, Texans brought a 1. Just keep chopping the wood until you have a pile of pass rushers.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #10
rmartin65
I'm Score
 
rmartin65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Age: 24
Posts: 7,966
Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 11-1 thoughts

The problem is that there are no true franchise QBs. There are a couple guys that could be great, but everyone has flaws. Definitely no one worth trading up for.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #11
badboy
Site Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clear Lake
Posts: 22,736
Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 11-1 thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
They also said the slot cb was Brandon harris' last year.

And I dont even recall seeing where he named crick smiths replacement.

But even if he did, you need good quality depth on the d line.

And it depends on the talent level of guys. If he is the best player on board then I say take him. We need more talent.
Texans GM Rick Smith responded with fourth-round DE Jared Crick when asked to name one member of Houston's draft class to "watch out for" in 2012.Crick will begin his career behind Antonio Smith and J.J. Watt, but he's Smith's heir apparent. "I think (Crick) will come in and get into a rotation," http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7508/jared-crick

I admit Brandon Harris has really surprised me. Hopefully as did KJ he will hit his stride next season (third). I followed Harris in college and mocked him second round. He seemed to disappear from mention after posting he was going to do a rookie diary his first training camp. That was the last post or mention of a diary. I'm guessing but think he ran afoul of coaches and was told to shut up.

No argument on needing quality depth and have a DE drafted just not high. Watt/Smith/Crick and Jamison with a low round high motor guy to give competition. IMO, especially after last night, DE is not our priority.
__________________
I want to be able to recognize the difference between a "want" and a "need" and then I want to be satisfied with getting a need
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #12
badboy
Site Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clear Lake
Posts: 22,736
Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 11-1 thoughts

11-2: before season GB and NE were possible losses for me so I need to keep that in perspective. For me it was the way we lost. Schaub seem to freak out (for lack of a better word)when he threw the INT in direction of Walter. His passes just were not on target. I am not interested in a QB & agree with 65 on this next crop. Right side of OL was bothersome but Newton was out and Jones is still a rookie. Let's not panic over one game. I have no clue what Kubiak was doing and he seemed to get worse as game progressed. When you are behind 21 points go to the 2 minute drill that has worked for us early in prior games.We ran it a bit on the third quarter 88 yard drive that resulted in Foster's TD.

1. WR: we just don't have one that can go deep consistently. AJ not over the hill but he avg 12 yds. He allowed Talib to cover him & when Pats brought a safety over none of the other options were open. I still think Nose is a higher priority BUT there should be a decent one in second and no WR after T WIlliams is a deep threat with speed. So, I am back to him. Yes, better blocking from line would help Matt & TEs/WRs but it was Harris and Gardner not our usual RT.

2. Nose: here is where I get stumped. I want a trade up in second to get either Nix or Sylvester Williams. I'd prefer to use Tate and a lower pick to do so but he has to continue to do well; 8 for 46 is a good start. Problem with trading Tate in second there are some pretty good backs in that round. If guys I want are not here at our pick I look strong at Brandon Williams in 4th. My most significant memory of Cody is that I can't remember him holding his attack through a block. Could have been him but think it was Mitchell that was not down and ass over kettle. Over all the stats were close 3.7 per rush for Texans and NE 3.9. Just looked a lot worse. Their passing and running games just seem to deflate our defense.

3a. LT Brennan Williams should recover nicely but may decide to skip combine. May be gone by our selection as he was playing great prior to labrum tear. Ranked 109 by cbssports.com

3b. ILB Andrew Jackson

4. C/OG Gabe Ikard Oklahoma
__________________
I want to be able to recognize the difference between a "want" and a "need" and then I want to be satisfied with getting a need
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012   #13
Insideop
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: In the "Control Room"
Age: 59
Posts: 1,717
Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 11-1 thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
11-2: before season GB and NE were possible losses for me so I need to keep that in perspective. For me it was the way we lost. Schaub seem to freak out (for lack of a better word)when he threw the INT in direction of Walter. His passes just were not on target. I am not interested in a QB & agree with 65 on this next crop. Right side of OL was bothersome but Newton was out and Jones is still a rookie. Let's not panic over one game. I have no clue what Kubiak was doing and he seemed to get worse as game progressed. When you are behind 21 points go to the 2 minute drill that has worked for us early in prior games.We ran it a bit on the third quarter 88 yard drive that resulted in Foster's TD.

1. WR: we just don't have one that can go deep consistently. AJ not over the hill but he avg 12 yds. He allowed Talib to cover him & when Pats brought a safety over none of the other options were open. I still think Nose is a higher priority BUT there should be a decent one in second and no WR after T WIlliams is a deep threat with speed. So, I am back to him. Yes, better blocking from line would help Matt & TEs/WRs but it was Harris and Gardner not our usual RT.

2. Nose: here is where I get stumped. I want a trade up in second to get either Nix or Sylvester Williams. I'd prefer to use Tate and a lower pick to do so but he has to continue to do well; 8 for 46 is a good start. Problem with trading Tate in second there are some pretty good backs in that round. If guys I want are not here at our pick I look strong at Brandon Williams in 4th. My most significant memory of Cody is that I can't remember him holding his attack through a block. Could have been him but think it was Mitchell that was not down and ass over kettle. Over all the stats were close 3.7 per rush for Texans and NE 3.9. Just looked a lot worse. Their passing and running games just seem to deflate our defense.

3a. LT Brennan Williams should recover nicely but may decide to skip combine. May be gone by our selection as he was playing great prior to labrum tear. Ranked 109 by cbssports.com

3b. ILB Andrew Jackson

4. C/OG Gabe Ikard Oklahoma
After the game on Monday I came away more convinced than I was before that there are 3 areas that the Texans need to address in next years draft. You hit 2 of them in your post BB (NT and ILB). I'm definitely on board with Andrew Jackson at ILB. They need another beast roaming the field like Cushing. Not sure what NT to take at this point but I have a feeling whoever I would pick won't be who the Texans pick.

The other area I think they are thin at is TE. Gruden eluded to it during the game when he said something about how the Texans were missing Graham and being able to run the 2 TE sets. Having Casey as the starting FB and 3rd TE isn't cutting it. Did Clutts play at all? I didn't notice him. I think we are too thin in this area and I would really hope they draft a TE early. And, I hope they don't go after the same OD/GG/JC size and style of TE. I want a big (at least 6'6" 260ish) TE that can block, has speed, and good hands! In other words a Monster TE that would be almost impossible to stop in the End Zone! If Eifert or Ertz are there at the end of 1st I wouldn't mind grabbing one of them. If they don't go with a TE early then Williams from Bama may be good later on, though he is more of a blocking TE. Just don't know much about his hands or foot speed/work.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012   #14
badboy
Site Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clear Lake
Posts: 22,736
Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 11-1 thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
After the game on Monday I came away more convinced than I was before that there are 3 areas that the Texans need to address in next years draft. You hit 2 of them in your post BB (NT and ILB). I'm definitely on board with Andrew Jackson at ILB. They need another beast roaming the field like Cushing. Not sure what NT to take at this point but I have a feeling whoever I would pick won't be who the Texans pick.

The other area I think they are thin at is TE. Gruden eluded to it during the game when he said something about how the Texans were missing Graham and being able to run the 2 TE sets. Having Casey as the starting FB and 3rd TE isn't cutting it. Did Clutts play at all? I didn't notice him. I think we are too thin in this area and I would really hope they draft a TE early. And, I hope they don't go after the same OD/GG/JC size and style of TE. I want a big (at least 6'6" 260ish) TE that can block, has speed, and good hands! In other words a Monster TE that would be almost impossible to stop in the End Zone! If Eifert or Ertz are there at the end of 1st I wouldn't mind grabbing one of them. If they don't go with a TE early then Williams from Bama may be good later on, though he is more of a blocking TE. Just don't know much about his hands or foot speed/work.
Inside, thanks for you post. As you know part of drafting is getting best player you can at each pick. Notre Dame's Nix is screwing with my head. He is not listed on CBSsports.com at all. Walterfootball.com list him as a first rounder under their draft prospect Nose Tackles. Under their three round mock draft updated Dec 12th, he is not mentioned. I have watched Nix and he is pretty dang good. Not sure if first round good. May blow up after combine as Dontari Poe did.

Currently I am searching for video on Brandon Williams NT from Missouri Southern State. Another poster alerted me to this guy who is ranked #139 by cbs and thus maybe @ our 4th round. 6'2 328 and this senior as a red shirt had 68 total tackles, 16.5 tackles for loss, 8.5 sacks, two pass breakups, eight quarterback hurries, five forced fumbles and a safety.

TE we are short due to Graham being out. We are not deep enough yet at almost any position to lose one of our better player and then expect backup to do as well. IMO, if AJ, OD, Walter are healthy and we ain't getting it done, those guys need to step it up. However, on my current mock I select Alabama's Michael Williams in round 5. 6'5+ and 272 pound with good hands and blocking skills; reminds me of Fiedowicz. He is ranked # 194 and should be there with a comp in 5. Maybe get him in 6th but for now 5th.

I think Texans may have flubbed on Clutts and signing him to three years because he should have moved Casey back to TE. That is what they must have been thinking when he was signed; didn't happen. Expect Clutts to be released offseason.
__________________
I want to be able to recognize the difference between a "want" and a "need" and then I want to be satisfied with getting a need
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger