Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-11-2012   #1
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 87068 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The Oilers would have lost this game

I couldn't help but keep thinking tonight that a Bud Adams team would have choked in this game. However with this team I was never even really concerned tonight. I just felt the whole game that they were going to win it. I can't say I ever felt that way with the Oilers.

Anyway, cheers to Bob McNair for finally bringing a legit franchise to H Town.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012   #2
silentassassin
Veteran

Rep Power: 2069 silentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Oilers would have lost this game

Very grateful, of course. But we'd be singing a different tune just two years ago.
silentassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012   #3
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 26409 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
I couldn't help but keep thinking tonight that a Bud Adams team would have choked in this game. However with this team I was never even really concerned tonight. I just felt the whole game that they were going to win it. I can't say I ever felt that way with the Oilers.

Anyway, cheers to Bob McNair for finally bringing a legit franchise to H Town.
I felt like we weren't going to lose also. Didn't feel nervous like past close games.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012   #4
gwallaia

Rep Power: 69621 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

The Oilers would have lost this game with a dramatic bone-headed play which would have resulted in a 16-13 victory for Chicago in OT.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012   #5
RCPM
DILLIGAF

Rep Power: 0 RCPM is a quality contributor and well respectedRCPM is a quality contributor and well respectedRCPM is a quality contributor and well respectedRCPM is a quality contributor and well respectedRCPM is a quality contributor and well respectedRCPM is a quality contributor and well respectedRCPM is a quality contributor and well respectedRCPM is a quality contributor and well respectedRCPM is a quality contributor and well respectedRCPM is a quality contributor and well respectedRCPM is a quality contributor and well respected

who f'ing cares!
RCPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012   #6
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPM View Post
who f'ing cares!
I care. I couldn't be happier that the city of Houston fired its NFL owner and replaced him with a far better one.

Great thread.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012   #7
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29231 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
I care. I couldn't be happier that the city of Houston fired its NFL owner and replaced him with a far better one.

Great thread.
I've only lived in Houston for about 10 years, so I don't have the deep knowledge of the Oilers and what happened when Bud Adams was here; but, from what I've heard and read, Houston ended up with a much better owner than before. And, in the bigger scheme, the owner matters.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-11-2012   #8
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't compare, just look ahead!!!
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012   #9
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 87068 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

I think all of us old Oilers guard know what I am talking about. It's different times now. No Bud Adams, not choking when expectations are high.

When this game was starting I remembered back to that Ian Howfield game back in 91 in Washington. The Oilers were 7-1 and the Redskins were 7-1 or 8-0, don't remember for sure. The Oilers were finally trying to prove they were an elite team going against the NFC's best.

Ian Howfield lines up for a chip shot to win the game in the final seconds and he misses, the Oilers go on to lose in OT.

Anyway, many parallels with this game. However the outcome was different. The Texans didn't choke. They beat the Bears at their own game.

Next up Jax which means 9-1.

BTW, speaking of Bud Adams this Bears team put up 50 plus point on him last week and blew his arse all the way back to Houston. How many did they put up against the Son of Bum?
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012   #10
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
When this game was starting I remembered back to that Ian Howfield game back in 91 in Washington. The Oilers were 7-1 and the Redskins were 7-1 or 8-0, don't remember for sure. The Oilers were finally trying to prove they were an elite team going against the NFC's best.

Ian Howfield lines up for a chip shot to win the game in the final seconds and he misses, the Oilers go on to lose in OT.
Was just talking about that game with a buddy of mine last night.

That Oilers loss/choke was directly attributable to Bud Adams' influence on that team.

The only reason the Oilers didn't have a real NFL kicker that season was due to an infuriating tendency to cut corners. The Oilers figured any kicker was as good as another.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012   #11
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Those of us who used to follow the Oilers have deep scars. It's ingrained in us to expect the other shoe to drop, to expect them to blow it somehow in the most aggravating way possible.

Those of you who weren't around back then, count your blessings.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012   #12
BlueSteel
Veteran

Rep Power: 151 BlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think all of us old Oilers guard know what I am talking about. It's different times now. No Bud Adams, not choking when expectations are high.

Anyway, many parallels with this game. However the outcome was different. The Texans didn't choke. They beat the Bears at their own game.

Next up Jax which means 9-1.

BTW, speaking of Bud Adams this Bears team put up 50 plus point on him last week and blew his arse all the way back to Houston. How many did they put up against the Son of Bum?
I am right there with ya. I honestly could not be happier to be a fan of the Texans right now. It has not always been this good and we will have tough times again at some point in our future. However, this ride has been a blast!
Old 11-12-2012   #13
417Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 4299 417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Houston team is mentally tough after the heartbeaker loses last few years I think it prepare them to kick ass this year. This team never should be compared to the Oilers.
417Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012   #14
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249059 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Oh, I know exactly what you are talking about here. The Texans are different from the Oilers, and better. That doesn't mean I'll forget the wonderfullness that was Earl Campbell or the Warren Moon run and shoot days, or The House of Pain, but this team is just so well balanced and better put togeather.

Hell, I'm even beginning to think Kubiak might pull this off.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012   #15
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 314423 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPM View Post
who f'ing cares!
Obviously the owner of Texans Talk cares.

Quote:
yep. I imagine that every old Oilers fan has that 'feeling' deeply ingrained into their football DNA. You have that little voice in your head reminding you of the so-called "other shoe" and it's inevitable drop.

That will probably be with us until the Texans go to the Super Bowl. That's the only cure for "chokaphobia", as far as I know.
Old 11-12-2012   #16
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post

yep. I imagine that every old Oilers fan has that 'feeling' deeply ingrained into their football DNA. You have that little voice in your head reminding you of the so-called "other shoe" and it's inevitable drop.

That will probably be with us until the Texans go to the Super Bowl. That's the only cure for "chokaphobia", as far as I know.
Just going to the Super Bowl won't cure our 'disease'. Only winning it will. That's the only thing, that will exorcise these demons.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012   #17
RCPM
DILLIGAF

Rep Power: 0 RCPM is a quality contributor and well respectedRCPM is a quality contributor and well respectedRCPM is a quality contributor and well respectedRCPM is a quality contributor and well respectedRCPM is a quality contributor and well respectedRCPM is a quality contributor and well respectedRCPM is a quality contributor and well respectedRCPM is a quality contributor and well respectedRCPM is a quality contributor and well respectedRCPM is a quality contributor and well respectedRCPM is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

SMH.... really who cares, F the oilers! They have NOTHING to do with the TEXANS...NOTHING!!!!
RCPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012   #18
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Well said DB. Excellent response. Nailed exactly the way I catch myself feeling at times. It's tough to forget some of the ways the old Oiler's could find a way to grasp defeat from the jaws of victory.

Go Texans!

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read