Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-06-2012   #1
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Arian Foster running out of bounds

Anyone else yelling in their house for him to stay in bounds on some of his runs?

This game vs. Buffalo could've been a bit bigger of a point margin. At one point in the 4th quarter around 6:00 and some change, Arian breaks about a 10-15 yard (or more) run. He gets the first down and some but instead of staying in bounds he walks out of bounds.

I'm not saying I want him to turn inside and lower his shoulder or anything but simply falling down in bounds, at that point, would've really helped our team get that game over with.

A good example would be how when we got the ball back on offense later at that time, and James Casey gets a pass and runs for a 1st down and simply falls in bounds to keep the clock rolling.

To me, these are small things that could be reminded to players because that's how you escape with road wins/playoff wins. + it takes the winds out of a defense's momentum.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012   #2
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Arian Foster running out of bounds

With him on pace to get close to 400 carries this season, I can't completely blame him for running out of bounds when he can.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012   #3
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
With him on pace to get close to 400 carries this season, I can't completely blame him for running out of bounds when he can.
I agree but there are some times when he runs out of bounds and the game is pretty much in hand/puts more pressure on the defense if he stays in bounds.

I'm just saying, better game clock management from all parts or our team is a good thing. James Casey knew what was going on when he got his play.
Old 11-06-2012   #4
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 19086 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
I agree but there are some times when he runs out of bounds and the game is pretty much in hand/puts more pressure on the defense if he stays in bounds.

I'm just saying, better game clock management from all parts or our team is a good thing. James Casey knew what was going on when he got his play.
QFT

But based on Kubiak's playcalling toward the end, I get the sense the Texans weren't really worried about running out the clock?
Old 11-06-2012   #5
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 48384 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
I noticed it, I prefer players to play physical, but smart. I prefer he limit his wear and tear this year especially if you have the first down, and there is no chance of taking it to the house.
Old 11-06-2012   #6
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
I noticed it, I prefer players to play physical, but smart. I prefer he limit his wear and tear this year especially if you have the first down, and there is no chance of taking it to the house.
He also rides a Segway during the week when he can according to Dan Fouts so he stays off his legs. Never thought of that before, but I imagine that does help also.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012   #7
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 406301 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Back in the '70's, Franco Harris used to take a lot of heat from Steelers fans because he ran out of bounds at the end of plays. They had a lot of respect for Earl Campbell because he never ran out of bounds.

However, Franco added years to his career with that tactic, while poor Earl cannot even walk these days.

With Foster being the workhorse for this offense, I think it's smart to minimize getting hit whenever possible. We need that dude in the Super Bowl!!
Old 11-06-2012   #8
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Back in the '70's, Franco Harris used to take a lot of heat from Steelers fans because he ran out of bounds at the end of plays. They had a lot of respect for Earl Campbell because he never ran out of bounds.

However, Franco added years to his career with that tactic, while poor Earl cannot even walk these days.

With Foster being the workhorse for this offense, I think it's smart to minimize getting hit whenever possible. We need that dude in the Super Bowl!!
He had a post-game interview this year, Monday night game vs. Jets IIRC, and Stuart Scott asked him about his life in the NFL.....

Arian said "I try to ask guys who played the game, every chance I get, to tell me their wisdom...what they wish they had done differently, what they did that helped them, anything I could get from them...any little nugget of wisdom they could share with me."

I would imagine that was a pretty significant portion of wisdom shared with him, maybe by Earl Campbell...maybe by other RBs...that hey, you want to play a long time? Take care of your body.

We only have to look at Chris Brown who got blasted when he played the Texans as a Titans RB. Sideline hit. Knocked him silly, was never the same again. For what? Trying to be tough, trying to get an extra yard on a normal carry (not a game winning carry or anything necessary, btw).

I know people think I'm hard on Foster for being vegan. I just think that sometimes you can get too cute with stuff, and for me the vegan issue is split--One half is great, your body is cleaner and more efficient, but the other half (and it's just my opinion) is that plant-based proteins cannot provide your muscles with the same fuel that animal-based proteins can. Plants don't have muscles. Animals and humans do. I know that's a base example, but oh well.

Still, that he uses a Segway to take stress off his feet, ankles, and knees is damn smart. That he wants to live clean on an animal-free diet is fine with me too. And that he wants to duck out of bounds after getting 15 or 20 yards in the middle of a blowout is definitely a smart decision.

He's playing this like a marathon, and it's the smart route to go.
Old 11-06-2012   #9
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 119055 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Anyone else yelling in their house for him to stay in bounds on some of his runs?

This game vs. Buffalo could've been a bit bigger of a point margin. At one point in the 4th quarter around 6:00 and some change, Arian breaks about a 10-15 yard (or more) run. He gets the first down and some but instead of staying in bounds he walks out of bounds.

I'm not saying I want him to turn inside and lower his shoulder or anything but simply falling down in bounds, at that point, would've really helped our team get that game over with.

A good example would be how when we got the ball back on offense later at that time, and James Casey gets a pass and runs for a 1st down and simply falls in bounds to keep the clock rolling.

To me, these are small things that could be reminded to players because that's how you escape with road wins/playoff wins. + it takes the winds out of a defense's momentum.
The clock only stops on out of bound plays in the last two minutes of the 1st half, and the last five minutes of the 2nd half. Running out of bounds with 6 minutes left in the game did nothing to extend the game.

Edit: Just checked the play by play, and no Texans RB ran the ball out of bounds in the last five minutes of Sunday's game.
Old 11-06-2012   #10
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
The clock only stops on out of bound plays in the last two minutes of the 1st half, and the last five minutes of the 2nd half. Running out of bounds with 6 minutes left in the game did nothing to extend the game.

Edit: Just checked the play by play, and no Texans RB ran the ball out of bounds in the last five minutes of Sunday's game.

knowing the rules of the game is important
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012   #11
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
knowing the rules of the game is important
Yeah, exactly what I was thinking.

Also, for those that think I want Arian to lower the boom and not go out of bounds that is wrong. I simply want him to go down and stay in bounds after getting the 1st in that situation.
Old 11-06-2012   #12
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 47538 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah, exactly what I was thinking.

Also, for those that think I want Arian to lower the boom and not go out of bounds that is wrong. I simply want him to go down and stay in bounds after getting the 1st in that situation.
Yeah but the clock continues to run with six minutes remaining. There is no reason to go down in bounds and take a hit when the clock shouldn't factor into the equation.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012   #13
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
Yeah but the clock continues to run with six minutes remaining. There is no reason to go down in bounds and take a hit when the clock shouldn't factor into the equation.
Based on that, we could've gotten into a 4 minute offense alot faster.
Old 11-06-2012   #14
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

I actually think Foster does a pretty good job of tight roping the sideline and staying in bounds.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012   #15
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

i know what u mean at the end of the game when we were up by two scores he ran out of bounds a few plays when we could of milked the clock eveeennn more

but i dont know what his mind set was i think he acctually wanted to score another TD cause we were at the bill 30 yard line i think

plus i dont know i never played football but i think getting hit or tackled does not feel good so i guess some players dont want to get hit so they run out of bounds
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read