Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-18-2012   #1
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Dreessen, Ryans, Winston, Brisiel, Leach.

Will these guys ultimately be the undoing of our Team?

I knew coming into this season that this would be the year that defines our current regime. I know there is ALOT of ball left to be played, and its certainly possible that we improve on last year. But, I have this bad feeling that these guys are going to ultimately be the death of us.

Dreeseen - We sorely miss his blocking abilities in the 2 TE formation.

Ryans - He was a true leader and the ONLY reason we could afford losing him was because of Cush. We now have a gaping hole in the middle of the field as a result of the injury.

Winston and Brisiel - Well, looks as though these guys are not as easily replacable as we had hoped to this point. It has been a never ending rotation at both positions and I see no light at the end of the tunnel yet as far as long term solutions.

Leach - I know he was gone 2 years ago, and having Casey is fantastic and adds another dimension, but I dont think this balances out positively for us.

The Texans are currently 23rd in the league with a 3.8 ypc average. 23rd in the league. Color me very concerned. Will our playaction continue to be a strength?

Look... the Texans may very well go out and beat Baltimore and everything might be hunky dory. But I feel like we have lost some serious toughness in the O-line and the teeth of our D, the middle (which was already a weakness) is going to be exploited.

And I know we could not afford all of these guys, and its all apart of the business. But man, all the talk was a Super Bowl run after last year, when in reality... its looking almost like a stop gap solution, another playoff hello, until we can fix these areas of the team long term and become true contenders for the Super Bowl.

I would not want to be Kubiak or Phillips right now. But I hope they find the way. A 5-0 head start certaily helps the cause. Lets hope we get that hot again at the end of the season.

Beat Balty! Go Texans!!!
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012   #2
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 126226 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Dreessen, Ryans, Winston, Brisiel, Leach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post

I knew coming into this season that this would be the year that defines our current regime. I know there is ALOT of ball left to be played, and its certainly possible that we improve on last year. But, I have this bad feeling that these guys are going to ultimately be the death of us.

Ryans - He was a true leader and the ONLY reason we could afford losing him was because of Cush. We now have a gaping hole in the middle of the field as a result of the injury.

Winston and Brisiel - Well, looks as though these guys are not as easily replacable as we had hoped to this point. It has been a never ending rotation at both positions and I see no light at the end of the tunnel yet as far as long term solutions.

Leach - I know he was gone 2 years ago, and having Casey is fantastic and adds another dimension, but I dont think this balances out positively for us.

The Texans are currently 23rd in the league with a 3.8 ypc average. 23rd in the league. Color me very concerned. Will our playaction continue to be a strength?

Look... the Texans may very well go out and beat Baltimore and everything might be hunky dory. But I feel like we have lost some serious toughness in the O-line and the teeth of our D, the middle (which was already a weakness) is going to be exploited.

And I know we could not afford all of these guys, and its all apart of the business. But man, all the talk was a Super Bowl run after last year, when in reality... its looking almost like a stop gap solution, another playoff hello, until we can fix these areas of the team long term and become true contenders for the Super Bowl.

I would not want to be Kubiak or Phillips right now. But I hope they find the way. A 5-0 head start certaily helps the cause. Lets hope we get that hot again at the end of the season.

Beat Balty! Go Texans!!!
It would be nice if we could keep them all, but HOLY SH=
T it doesn't work that way.
Old 10-18-2012   #3
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Only complaint I now have is I wished we could have gotten a pick for Winston.
Old 10-18-2012   #4
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
It would be nice if we could keep them all, but HOLY SH=
T it doesn't work that way.
I already get all of that. But there is so much grey area in terms of contracts, bad contracts, bad decisions, restructuring, expecting to even be able to make a certain move due to what they feel is a sufficient enough replacement etc. And alot of that is or is not on them... so its not all that black and white. The point was could we counter the losses with the proper replacements, adding strenghts in other areas, and be a BETTER team this year than last. And its starting to feel like NO.
Old 10-18-2012   #5
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
Not Texans thread and the answer is no ... move on already.
It has everything to do with the Texans currently.
Old 10-18-2012   #6
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

We cannot pay everyone.

It's the price/cost of becoming a GOOD TEAM...all these players want bigger money, and they know they can leverage it against us OR get what they want from lesser teams who have more space than we do.

I think we should have found the money and space to retain Brisiel, though. He was a consistent blocker on the right side that would not have cost much more money. How is he faring in Oakland, anyways? I have not followed the guy there.
Old 10-19-2012   #7
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

1 loss and people pine away for the days and players that regularly missed the playoffs.

I'll take 2012 Texans over any other year, please and thank you.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-19-2012   #8
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
We cannot pay everyone.

It's the price/cost of becoming a GOOD TEAM...all these players want bigger money, and they know they can leverage it against us OR get what they want from lesser teams who have more space than we do.

I think we should have found the money and space to retain Brisiel, though. He was a consistent blocker on the right side that would not have cost much more money. How is he faring in Oakland, anyways? I have not followed the guy there.
This is what I have on Brisiel:

He has yet to give up a sack and was charged with two penalties so far.

He suffered a concussion last week agains the Falcons (so he's in the same boat as Caldwell on this end; otherwise, he's healthy.)
Before he left the game late in the second quarter, the Raiders were 12-22 in the running game.
Without him, they went 20-127.
Big difference.

The Raiders RBs averaged 3.15 ypc with Brisiel in the game (all 5 games.)
I don't know how much it has to do with Brisiel.

One thing I know is that ProFootballFocus reported him as having a bad day against the Dolphins (at least as bad as Caldwell did, it looks like.)

"Offensive Line Questions

A large part of the difficulty the Raiders have found in running the ball has to do with the play of the offensive line. The interior of the unit — left guard Cooper Carlisle, center Stefen Wisniewski, and right guard Mike Briesel – combined for an overall grade of -8.8 this week. The entire group had problems with the Dolphins’ defensive line and was constantly overpowered, struggling to get movement laterally to execute their zone blocking scheme and looking equally unimpressive in the passing game."

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...lphins-week-2/

Overall, it doesn't seem like we missed Brisiel all that much.
Had Caldwell been fully healthy, I don't think we miss Biscuit at all.
I like his tenacity and give-it-all attitude and his solid play, but going forward I think we'll be fine at RG with either a healthy Caldwell or a more seasoned Ben Jones (not to mention the upside of Brooks.)
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012   #9
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 126226 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I already get all of that. But there is so much grey area in terms of contracts, bad contracts, bad decisions, restructuring, expecting to even be able to make a certain move due to what they feel is a sufficient enough replacement etc. And alot of that is or is not on them... so its not all that black and white. The point was could we counter the losses with the proper replacements, adding strenghts in other areas, and be a BETTER team this year than last. And its starting to feel like NO.
Cool.
Old 10-18-2012   #10
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
Cool.
It is what it is.
Old 10-18-2012   #11
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

You forgot Jason Babin, Tramon Williams and Bernard Pollard.
Dutchrudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012   #12
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Two things need to be considered:

1. Injury.

If Brisiel played with an ankle injury like he did last year, he wouldn't be any better than Caldwell or Jones (maybe even worse) at the moment.
If Caldwell has been healthy, the O-line would have looked better than it does at the moment.

So in term of RG play, we're not comparing them on the same footing.
Brisiel is playing without injury while Caldwell is playing with several injuries.

2. Continuity on the line.

We expected (or at least the OP should have expected) that in the short term, the lack of continuity on the line doesn't help.
As the year moves along, the line should work better together.

Old 10-18-2012   #13
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Next is Newton vs. Winston

Again, we should expect a first-time starter like Newton to hit a few bumps early on.

To compare him with Winston now is not at all fair.

The pick-up of Harris offset the loss of Butler (due to the injury).
Old 01-01-2013   #14
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
Not Texans Thread belongs in NFL section
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
Not Texans thread and the answer is no ... move on already.

Sure it is. It's about the effect of losing these players on the Houston Texans.
Old 01-01-2013   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

They are all role players. Replaceable. May not be easily replaceable, but replaceable all the same.

I like Newton & Jones. I think when it's all said & done, they will be better than Winston & Briesel, even though it appears we intend to fit Brooks into the line.

I don't have a problem with James Casey at FB, I just don't like the humdrum way we use him.

Graham instead of Dressen. eh... it took 3 years before we saw Dressen as an important cog in the wheel.
Old 01-01-2013   #16
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8652 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

5 physical players that brought some toughness to the team that were replaced with 5 guys who have yet to prove they can push other players around at the same level.
Old 01-01-2013   #17
Lucky

Rep Power: 136980 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post

I like Newton & Jones. I think when it's all said & done, they will be better than Winston & Briesel,
You can like them all you want, and but neither Newton or Jones have shown they can replace the guys that were lost. Inexperienced and unathletic is what I've seen from these two.
Old 10-18-2012   #18
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Beat Balty! Go Texans!!!
Not Texans Thread belongs in NFL section
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012   #19
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 116440 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

76 covered it all very nicely.

/Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012   #20
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Welcome to the AGe of free agency and Cap limit LOL

Dreessen-Yeah he was a put on your miners helmet and lets do work kinda of guy but so is Garrett he was younger he was cheaper and did i mention hes younger faster and prob stronger then dreesseen .........but like alwasy lacks EXP

Winston....i think if said my opn on him he sucks dude in pass protecting is like on roller skates ..i think Newton is a Upgrade to him... give newton time

Brisiel- i liked him but he was hurt and old so yeah it was time

Leech- last year foster proved he didnt need leech to be a star nuff said

i really dont mind the Front office decesion to let these guys go look u gotta keep your core guyz they have a plan and pay scale there going to pay there players in the now and Future

they showed there piroitys are Paying Scahub paying your LT BROWN and in the future prob paying Cushing ...well maybe not now they already payed Andre

i guess next will to Obvs lock up JJWATT if we had kept all thoes guys down the line we would be struggling to Keep JJWATT is that what u WANT !!!!????
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read