Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-12-2012   #1
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80254 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Andre Johnson

From the NFL network -

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...houston-texans

Quote:
The Houston Texans' offense is known for its "Big Three" ... but is that really the case anymore?

Quarterback Matt Schaub is playing at an All-Pro level, and Arian Foster is entrenched as the NFL's preeminent workhorse back. Wide receiver Andre Johnson is supposed to complete this trinity. He hasn't carried his share of the weight through five games.

Johnson was largely neutralized Monday night by the New York Jets' Antonio Cromartie, a good, but not great, cornerback. NFL.com and NFL Network's Michael Lombardi wrote in his latest "Front Office View" column that Johnson "does not look like the same player."

Wrote Lombardi: "Johnson cannot run, burst or make sharp cuts, which has been the case since his hamstring injury."

Johnson's decreased production supports Lombardi's opinion. Through Week 5, Johnson has 17 receptions for 286 yards and two touchdowns. By way of comparison, here was Johnson's statline through five games in 2009, the last time he played 16 games: 28 receptions, 437 yards and four touchdowns.

Johnson still can produce, but at 31, it's fair to wonder if his best days are behind him.
Now granted, these are just opinions from the NFL network, but over the years, Mike Lombardi has been pretty fair with the Texans. But I myself was kinda surprised that Schaub couldn't find AJ on a night when Revis wasn't playing.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012   #2
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Andre Johnson

Its fair. In my eyes, AJ is not even close to the receiver he was in the past. The injuries he has suffered (and the resulting surgeries) have really taken their toll.

He is still a good receiver, just no longer great.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012   #3
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Mike Lombardi said that.

The next time he gets something right about the Texans will be his first time.

He's a generalist that has a terrible feel for the Texans...often what he writes is completely off base.

As for these comments, I'm not sure how he can judge that from the games to date. The Texans haven't had to target AJ much because they've had so many leads, playing against bad offenses that they need to take few risks against. They are also not playing him as many snaps, working the new guys in.

So that combo of things means few needs to unleash AJ this season so far. There was a little bit in the Denver game, mostly because they were facing the Peyton, wanted to get some points on the board, maybe take a few more risks.
Old 10-17-2012   #4
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Mike Lombardi said that.

He's a generalist that has a terrible feel for the Texans...often what he writes is completely off base.

As for these comments, I'm not sure how he can judge that from the games to date. The Texans haven't had to target AJ much because they've had so many leads, playing against bad offenses that they need to take few risks against. They are also not playing him as many snaps, working the new guys in.

So that combo of things means few needs to unleash AJ this season so far. There was a little bit in the Denver game, mostly because they were facing the Peyton, wanted to get some points on the board, maybe take a few more risks.
I haven't read the thread but I've been talking (way before this article) about not seeing the same player who explodes out of his breaks and can create space against just about any coverage. I am not seeing that old dominant player right now....not seeing the superstar. Just a good player. I see old 2011 Anquan Boldin out there. It may be the last leg injury but he's just not the same player in my eyes. Not yet at least...perhaps he's still recovering...donno. Everyone will decline and some guys decline faster than others (more suddenly). AJ could lose a step and still be good...but I don't see a superstar when I watch him in 2012 so far.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012   #5
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 124794 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Mike Lombardi said that.

I'm throwing this out there, but did Mike Lombardi get fired from a dysfunctional organization (who seriously lended himself towards that dysfunctionality) offer an opinion that the Texans were "soft"??

Is this the same guy??

AWESOME!! I totally respect this asshat's opinions on anything???

Steph, feel free to copy and paste on his lame-ass time line!!
Old 10-13-2012   #6
robroy72
Veteran

Rep Power: 6816 robroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Its fair. In my eyes, AJ is not even close to the receiver he was in the past. The injuries he has suffered (and the resulting surgeries) have really taken their toll.

He is still a good receiver, just no longer great.
He can't blame the surgeries for the uncharacteristic drops; the one against the Jets was incredible.

I think Andre plays alot on confidence; right now, he's lacking in that department. He and Schaub will have to play through this; he may not get back to being the Andre of years gone by due to the reasons the Doc posted above; he can still be a formidable weapon.

Last edited by robroy72; 10-13-2012 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Hit 'post' too soon!
robroy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012   #7
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
From the NFL network -

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...houston-texans

Now granted, these are just opinions from the NFL network, but over the years, Mike Lombardi has been pretty fair with the Texans. But I myself was kinda surprised that Schaub couldn't find AJ on a night when Revis wasn't playing.
As much as it sucks to admit it, he's right to a degree. Big players show up in big games and 'Dre all but disappeared on Monday night. Those 2 gimme balls he dropped should have never happened. That was him, not Schaub. 'Dre looked pretty frustrated with the way that he was being covered. He was looking defeated after one play where he was in the back of the end zone. He should have made adjustments to his game since Cromartie had a good game plan coming in.

I'm not saying he doesn't have anything left in the tank, but he is on the decline. He's 31 and that's no spring chicken in professional football. Losing a step at his position is detrimental to his game & the team. I'm not saying bench him, but we better have his heir apparent on the roster or draft him next year.
Old 10-12-2012   #8
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Instead if blaming Andre or any particular player it sure seems Texans have yet to find their rhythm. This offense is pedicated on timing & so far either teams have found a way to be desruptive or it's still early in the season. Watch the film it doesn't lie, can anyone say this is a well oiled machine? The defense has played ahead of schedule now without Cushing this will cause a drop off on defense, so I'm hoping the offense regains both timing & rhythm Andre included.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012   #9
TdotTexas2Step
All Pro

Rep Power: 1976 TdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respected

In my opinion, Lombardi's right, Andre definitely isn't the same, and probably will never be what he was.

But that doesn't matter, because we're 5-0 still.

Andre has given us his entire NFL career, years of spectacular seasons of the best WR in the league. And now it's the rest of the team's turn to carry him, and that's what's been happening so far.

Andre's more frustrated about it than anyone else, you can see it on his face. He'll likely continue to decline. But you can guarantee he'll have something special left in the tank for when it matters most this season.
TdotTexas2Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012   #10
rolyat93
Veteran

Rep Power: 2303 rolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respected

FINALLY. I was waiting for Lombardi to anti-jinx him. First he called the D soft last year, now he'll say "Dre is done, it's time.

Is this me?
rolyat93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012   #11
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Doc called this one as soon as he found out the procedure that Andre was having done. He said that there was a good chance he would never get his explosion back.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012   #12
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 251959 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it's hard to say what's going on. I certainly don't think Lombardi has the necessary information to say AJ is in decline. Enough to suggest it's possible? Sure. As as has been pointed out the team just doesn't rely on him the way they once did but when he's needed he's been there, at least up until this year. This year he's mostly been quiet and we can't say yet whether it's because of AJ or because of the way the games are shaking out. The Texans seem to be trying to keep him healthy for the stretch run and they seem to be doing it by using all their other weapons. I don't see what's wrong with that other than that it creates the situation we're in now where everyone wants to know what's wrong with AJ.
Old 10-12-2012   #13
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20085 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I think it's hard to say what's going on. I certainly don't think Lombardi has the necessary information to say AJ is in decline. Enough to suggest it's possible? Sure. As as has been pointed out the team just doesn't rely on him the way they once did but when he's needed he's been there, at least up until this year. This year he's mostly been quiet and we can't say yet whether it's because of AJ or because of the way the games are shaking out. The Texans seem to be trying to keep him healthy for the stretch run and they seem to be doing it by using all their other weapons. I don't see what's wrong with that other than that it creates the situation we're in now where everyone wants to know what's wrong with AJ.
Agreed. The Texans don't need to ride AJ like they stole him to win games. This just means your team is better and hopefully he will be healthy for the post season.
MEGA SWATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012   #14
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 25372 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Instead if blaming Andre or any particular player it sure seems Texans have yet to find their rhythm. This offense is pedicated on timing & so far either teams have found a way to be desruptive or it's still early in the season. Watch the film it doesn't lie, can anyone say this is a well oiled machine? The defense has played ahead of schedule now without Cushing this will cause a drop off on defense, so I'm hoping the offense regains both timing & rhythm Andre included.
Schaub has been money thus far, so I won't say a word about the pass game. I think the run game averaging less than 4 yards a carry is the biggest "problem" right now. There hasn't been much to bicker about when it comes to throwing the ball, but running the football is not top notch currently.

As the season wears on, the run game will get better, and the offense will kill ever more. This is why good teams don't peak in October.
Old 10-13-2012   #15
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShark316 View Post
Schaub has been money thus far, so I won't say a word about the pass game. I think the run game averaging less than 4 yards a carry is the biggest "problem" right now. There hasn't been much to bicker about when it comes to throwing the ball, but running the football is not top notch currently.

As the season wears on, the run game will get better, and the offense will kill ever more. This is why good teams don't peak in October.
there is no "on the money" when the timing is off that is my point. Not just on Andre or Schaub, the OL or opposing teams defensive scheming the mis-direction is not so mis-direction anymore, teams are picking up on it & the throws are under pressure & sooner than planned. Maybe the cb's recognize the play so they engage & lock on sooner extending the play? Probably a combination of all the above but the game plan must adjust to allow structure to flow smoother. Like Kubiak said, he's got to find a way to get Andre the ball more, so look for it. Plus if you can't hurt the other team throwing it teams will stack the box & take away the run.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012   #16
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 128424 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

He's been MIA...sucks but gotta call a spade a spade. All his greatness in years past has zero bearing on what he's done this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012   #17
Lucky

Rep Power: 163616 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
He's been MIA...sucks but gotta call a spade a spade. All his greatness in years past has zero bearing on what he's done this year.
He had a pretty good game on opening day.
Old 10-12-2012   #18
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 264718 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been saying that Andre just isn't Andre this year. He's definitely lost a step. But he's big enough, strong enough, and smart enough to still beat cornerbacks. Usually.

But I think it's eating at him. I think he's starting to lose confidence and he's starting to press. That's why he's dropping passes he normally would have caught.

We need one or two of the young receivers to step up and start producing to pull up the slack. I think this offense could be insanely good if we could see that happen.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012   #19
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 128424 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
He had a pretty good game on opening day.
This is true however Kendall Wright has more catches and yards.

Let that sink in. Kendall. Wright.

His peers in yardage right now are:

Jordy Nelson - 5 games
Lance Moore - 4 games
Kendall Wright - 6 games
AJ - 5 games
Santonio Holmes - 4 games
Dez Bryant - 4 games
Andre Roberts - 5 games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012   #20
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63941 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
This is true however Kendall Wright has more catches and yards.

Let that sink in. Kendall. Wright.
And their rushing total sucks.

I expected Andre to permanently lose a step after the muscle tear, but there are other factors involved here. One is the fact that Schaub's options have improved. Another is that Andre hasn't shaken some rust off. During the Monday night game, his legs weren't the problem when he dropped passes. His hands were. He'll get that fixed.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read