Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-04-2012   #1
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4924 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Wanting National Respect for Team is Part of Being a Fan

Been thinking about this subject and decided to blog about it... As a Texans fan it does bother me a little that they do not get the national attention I feel they deserve. I'm not completely pissed about it, and I even understand it, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't "want it".

threw it together pretty quick today, so don't go bashing my mistakes too hard now... Thanks...

Quote:
One thing that will bother a Texans fan more than anything -outside of hearing the name David Ca…nevermind- is what seems to be a lack of respect/coverage by the national sports media. And one thing that bothers ‘this’ Texans fan just as much is hearing local radio guys and even some fans ask the question, “Why do Texans fans care so much about the team being respected nationally?” The answer is in the question: “Fans”!
finish it here (hey, just following the rules ): http://thezimmway.blogspot.com/2012/...s-part-of.html

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012   #2
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Everyone is entitled to their opinions. Im not in the business of telling others how they should feel.

That said I enjoy national respect/coverage but it doesn't upset me if we don't get it. I'm of the mindset that winning and beating other people is what I ultimately want. National respect and people around the country singing your praise doesn't accomplish that goal. It's just novelty.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012   #3
Outlaw7
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Outlaw7 is a quality contributor and well respectedOutlaw7 is a quality contributor and well respectedOutlaw7 is a quality contributor and well respectedOutlaw7 is a quality contributor and well respectedOutlaw7 is a quality contributor and well respectedOutlaw7 is a quality contributor and well respectedOutlaw7 is a quality contributor and well respectedOutlaw7 is a quality contributor and well respectedOutlaw7 is a quality contributor and well respectedOutlaw7 is a quality contributor and well respectedOutlaw7 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Wanting National Respect for Team is Part of Being a Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Everyone is entitled to their opinions. Im not in the business of telling others how they should feel.

That said I enjoy national respect/coverage but it doesn't upset me if we don't get it. I'm of the mindset that winning and beating other people is what I ultimately want. National respect and people around the country singing your praise doesn't accomplish that goal. It's just novelty.
Agreed
Outlaw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012   #4
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 181199 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it is more that the fan wants self respect. It has to be earned, continuously. Fans continually like to think they are part of the team, impacting the team and making a difference; ego.
Old 10-04-2012   #5
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4924 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post

I'm of the mindset that winning and beating other people is what I ultimately want.
I think that goes without saying...

Old 10-04-2012   #6
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 139196 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

EFF all the BULL****E......... Just keep winning one week at a time!!!!!!!! this week is the jets..Let' just handle that before we jerk each other off!
Old 10-05-2012   #7
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 181199 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
EFF all the BULL****E......... Just keep winning one week at a time!!!!!!!! this week is the jets..Let' just handle that before we jerk each other off!
Uh not sure what you have in .. er.. mind but no one handling anything of mine.
Old 10-05-2012   #8
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 57076 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012   #9
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 72911 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I feel like we're getting a lot of attention. Arian Foster was on the cover of ESPN magazine, we're the consensus #1 team in the NFL, etc
Old 10-05-2012   #10
TheEastwood
Veteran

Rep Power: 935 TheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respected

The thing I kept thinkin as I watched espn and nflnetwork this week was... I've never seen a 2-2 team (the definition of mediocrity) get this much attention. You would think the Jets were the only team in the league by the coverage they were getting. And even though the 4-0 Texans are the team they face next, they only mention I heard of them was in Rex Ryans press conference that nflnetwork aired repeatedly..... And I mean repeatedly. They must have shown the same PC like 15 times over the past 2 days
TheEastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012   #11
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
I don't know what you guys are watching or not watching. Almost every NFL show I am seeing they are all saying the Texans are the most complete team, best in the NFL, etc etc. After the Rams/Cards game on the NFL Network someone was saying Matt Schaub so far is the NFL MVP. Another one said JJ Watt is the MVP.

All NFL power rankings I have seen have the Texans as 1. What else do you want?

Not talking about people saying the Texans are the best or ranking them #1 in a poll, talking about the air-time which still lacks... And the fact they are ranked #1 in the polls and still don't get as much air-time just goes with my whole point..it is turning around, though...

Like i said in the blog, i understand why there's been a lack...truly it doesn't bother me that much.. it just really bothers me that some expect fans not to care about it, with the whole "you should just want them to win" take...if that were the case why even tune into the games? Just check back in February and see how it shook out...

Old 10-05-2012   #12
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

It could be that NATIONAL RESPECT is more important to the bandwagoner fans than it is to us diehards who have been here through it all!! They obviously like all the attention, and want more, esp for themselves.

Right now, I could care less what all the talking heads say, or predict. The only thing that matters to me is holding up that Lombardi come Feb, and then getting to camp out at Reliant for a year looking at it!! THAT'S the prize that will bring National RESPECT, and with that will come short term attention! Short term because we are not located on the East Coast, nor do we have a flippin star stuck on our head.
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012   #13
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
It could be that NATIONAL RESPECT is more important to the bandwagoner fans than it is to us diehards who have been here through it all!! They obviously like all the attention, and want more, esp for themselves.

Right now, I could care less what all the talking heads say, or predict. The only thing that matters to me is holding up that Lombardi come Feb, and then getting to camp out at Reliant for a year looking at it!! THAT'S the prize that will bring National RESPECT, and with that will come short term attention! Short term because we are not located on the East Coast, nor do we have a flippin star stuck on our head.

There's no guarantee that will bring any national respect either. Remember the Rocket's 1st NBA title and how they were "dissed" by the so called "national media" when, I think it was Sports Illustrated, left them off the front cover of their magazine and put some lame golf tournament coverage on the front. They backpedaled some when the Houston fans started complaining and cancelling their subscriptions, and they rushed to put out a special issue with all Rockets NBA Championship coverage.

It doesn't bother me much anymore about what the national media thinks of Houston and its sports teams. I've come to expect it from them. I guess the only revenge we have now is, in the immortal words of Al Davis (aka. "the crypt-keeper"), "Just win baby!"
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012   #14
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 31996 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

I want a bunch of bandwagoners and the Texans to be the new America's team. My reason? More national and regional coverage here in New Mexico so I don't have to buy the Sunday Ticket anymore!
Old 10-05-2012   #15
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 352273 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

"Respect" is something they yap about in prison and on street corners. Pfft.

All these media bandwagonners will be more than happy to bury a knife in our backs if we fail. They salivate at the thought.

Real fans here want wins. One after another, until it's Super Bowl time. When we win the Lombardi, I sure as heck won't be celebrating with some east coast beat writer ..... I'll be with my team and here on TT with my fellow fans.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012   #16
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
There's no guarantee that will bring any national respect either. Remember the Rocket's 1st NBA title and how they were "dissed" by the so called "national media" when, I think it was Sports Illustrated, left them off the front cover of their magazine and put some lame golf tournament coverage on the front. They backpedaled some when the Houston fans started complaining and cancelling their subscriptions, and they rushed to put out a special issue with all Rockets NBA Championship coverage.

It doesn't bother me much anymore about what the national media thinks of Houston and its sports teams. I've come to expect it from them. I guess the only revenge we have now is, in the immortal words of Al Davis (aka. "the crypt-keeper"), "Just win baby!"
Yes, I remember that very well, and you are correct, there is no guarantee the media will respect us even if we do win a SB, which solidifies my point about them being bias. As for fans from other teams respecting us, that will come with time. I still remember all the positive comments made about our team from Ravens fans when we were there last year. One that sticks out to me was, "we have no reason to hate you." Will winning a SB give opposing teams fans a reason to "hate" us?? Who knows. I'll always "hate" the cowboys, BUT, I LOVE the Niners!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012   #17
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 141560 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

I truly do not care about national attention. I cared about before when access to team info, highlights, stories, etc were not as abundant. Now I can get my Texans fix almost almost anywhere. I don't need 'flavor of the month' love'.
Old 10-05-2012   #18
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 19086 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkcookie View Post
Not talking about people saying the Texans are the best or ranking them #1 in a poll, talking about the air-time which still lacks... And the fact they are ranked #1 in the polls and still don't get as much air-time just goes with my whole point..it is turning around, though...

Like i said in the blog, i understand why there's been a lack...truly it doesn't bother me that much.. it just really bothers me that some expect fans not to care about it, with the whole "you should just want them to win" take...if that were the case why even tune into the games? Just check back in February and see how it shook out...
It seems that anyone who spends time watching media has recognized that the Texans ARE getting recognition from the talking heads in form of an almost consensus "best Team in NFL"-ish type banter. I was just thinking in the past few days, that despite this, as I sit in front of the TV or listen on the radio(mind you I am in NC), national correspondents still seem to be lacking in air time as Drunken Cookie suggests. While some want to maybe interpret that as a lack of respect, which is fine.. I don't care about their respect... I care about Score Board. But, what I do NOT like is stemming from the fact that when I do actually sit in on a national broadcast, being a fan, I'm definitely anxious to get as much insight, knowledge, opinion, info.. whatever about MY team as I can. And given the old notion that we've all heard throw around... it comes with winning..... Now we ARE winning and have this engrained sense of entitlement that I should be witnessing the lion share of air time for MY team for once :-) Granted.. as a franchise-long fan, I recognize an increase and am ecstatic in what I do hear.. Just longing for more. Meanwhile, Jets fans, on the inverse may be having the opposite effect in that they are hearing TOO much of what they don't want to hear!

Personally, I've settled on the notion, that as of today, Houston being one of 2 remaining unbeaten teams in the NFL after 4 weeks, kind of forces the media to recognize they have likely arrived. If the winning continues, and say we find the team sitting at 8-0 or 9-0 (I believe its possible/borderline probable), those talking heads will transition from recognizing to really believing as well. It's easy for me to believe... I've been hopefully anticipating the day belief becomes reality and with each passing week, I'm savoring the heightened sense of pride I feel that I personally can't imagine being able to feel if not for the past ups and DOWNS I've endured following practically every game since Sept. 8, 2002.

It's a GREAT year to be a Texan Fan.
Old 10-05-2012   #19
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail.Blazr View Post
Just longing for more. Meanwhile, Jets fans, on the inverse may be having the opposite effect in that they are hearing TOO much of what they don't want to hear!

snip...I like what I'm hearing as well. To the bolded, Believe it! Just go read their boards!

Personally, I've settled on the notion, that as of today, Houston being one of 2 remaining unbeaten teams in the NFL after 4 weeks, kind of forces the media to recognize they have likely arrived. If the winning continues, and say we find the team sitting at 8-0 or 9-0 (I believe its possible/borderline probable), those talking heads will transition from recognizing to really believing as well. It's easy for me to believe... I've been hopefully anticipating the day belief becomes reality and with each passing week, I'm savoring the heightened sense of pride I feel that I personally can't imagine being able to feel if not for the past ups and DOWNS I've endured following practically every game since Sept. 8, 2002.

I'm with you on the bolded as well. I was talking to members of the Blue Crew before & after the game Sunday. While trying to maintain the "one game at a time" mindset and focus that the team lives by, it's dadgum difficult for this fan.

My mindset is after we win it all I don't want to see the imaginary asterisk by our season. My point being we need to beat the big 3 on our schedule starting with the Ravens, followed by the Pack and then the Bradys and continue to win the games we're 'supposed' to win. If we can sweep these 3 Big games we are So There. That's a bye and homefield for the playoffs. When the season began I was including the Lions as well but at this point I think they will make Turkey Day even that much more enjoyable. I didn't give the Vikes a second thought, that's slowly changing. Call me a if ya wanna but I feel I'm just being optimistic .

It's a GREAT year to be a Texan Fan.

I saw that Peter King quote on MMQB and couldn't agree more. Great post, thanks.
Go Texans!

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012   #20
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 243454 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

USA relates the Texans past "respect" problems and their climb on the status pole.

Texans very ready for primetime

Jim Corbett, USA TODAY Sports

Quote:
Given that the Texans are 0-5 in prime-time road games, Monday represents an important steppingstone game.

"As an organization we still have a lot to prove," Cushing says. "Yeah, we're 4-0 for the first time. Until last year, we'd never won a playoff game. People are going to continue to doubt us until we really prove ourselves as an organization.

"This is a chance to show we're for real.

"To be 4-0, a lot of America will be watching to see if we're legit or not. But we'll prove it."

The wounded Jets (2-2), reeling from a 34-0 trampling by the San Francisco 49ers, figure to be dangerous even after losing top receiver Santonio Holmes to a season-ending Lisfranc foot injury.

The Jets are 2-0 vs. the Texans with Rex Ryan as coach and Mark Sanchez at quarterback.

Ryan was embarrassed by his team's inept performance against the 49ers, as his vaunted defense surrendered 245 rushing yards and three touchdowns and was accused of quitting by San Francisco cornerback Carlos Rogers.

"Obviously, we have to get a heck of a lot better, and we have to do it in a hurry," Ryan said. "This football team we're playing is arguably the best team in the league.

"I don't know what to say. But I'd much rather play my son's high school team than the Houston Texans."
Rest of story

Word should be fed back to Ryan that the Texans, on the other hand, WILL be playing a high school team this Monday night.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read