Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 10-03-2012   #1
Hookem Horns
The Bill Payer

Rep Power: 53922 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Theismann says Romo “isn’t that good”

Quote:
What hit me last night is, Tony isn’t really that good,” Theismann added. “Just because he wears a star on his helmet — we all think that people who are Dallas Cowboys, ‘Oh they’re wonderful and ooh they’re terrific, ooh they’re the next Roger Staubach’ or whatever the heck they want to say. They’re full of bologna.
I really don't like Joe Theismann but I have to agree with him here.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...snt-that-good/
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012   #2
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 21874 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Theismann says Romo “isn’t that good”

I, for one, don't think that. "That" being just because they wear the star they're good. He is what he is, very turnover prone, especially in big games.
Old 10-03-2012   #3
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21874 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

And judging from the comments, Cowboy fans are still delusional.
Old 10-03-2012   #4
paycheck71
All Pro

Rep Power: 25876 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

In a long list of problems with the Cowboys, Romo is nowhere near the top of the list, IMO. He's obviously not perfect, and Monday was one of his worst games, but Dallas is a mismanaged team from top to bottom, and to say that it's Romo's fault is wrong. FWIW, I'd take Romo over at least half the QB's in the NFL.
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012   #5
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 156516 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

The more problems the Cowbutts have the happier I am.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012   #6
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 100916 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
The more problems the Cowbutts have the happier I am.
The leg bone's connected to the...LAWRENCE TAYLOR! Agreed.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012   #7
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 213437 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Romo would be a lot better if his receivers would catch the passes he's throwing out there.

Some of his receiver suck so bad that they should be ashamed to take an NFL paycheck.
Old 10-03-2012   #8
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 147467 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Romo would be a lot better if his receivers would catch the passes he's throwing out there.

Some of his receiver suck so bad that they should be ashamed to take an NFL paycheck.
What I see with Romo is that he gets into that "cascade of errors" that Kubiak talked about with HWWNBN back in the early days.

Against the Bears, Romo was playing a pretty good game except for his receivers killing him: dropped balls, missed reads, wrong routes. And then stuff starts to snowball and he starts pushing himself and trying too hard. When he does that, he starts missing throws that he was hitting earlier. Then everything blows up and you've got 5 picks and you're getting your butt kicked. IIRC, he's the only active QB who's got multiple 5+ interception games. That's a helluva stat.

I think one of his big stumbling blocks is that there have been times when he's started pushing like that and it's ended up working out. So now he's got it in his head that it works and the problem is that it's risky. If it works it's great and you're a hero but if it fails, it's utterly horrible and you're the wrong kind of goat.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012   #9
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by paycheck71 View Post
In a long list of problems with the Cowboys, Romo is nowhere near the top of the list, IMO. He's obviously not perfect, and Monday was one of his worst games, but Dallas is a mismanaged team from top to bottom, and to say that it's Romo's fault is wrong. FWIW, I'd take Romo over at least half the QB's in the NFL.
He didn't say it was all his fault, he said he isn't very good. If you took Romo, you would have a streaky turnover machine. Good luck with that.
Old 10-03-2012   #10
paycheck71
All Pro

Rep Power: 25876 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaayteetx View Post
He didn't say it was all his fault, he said he isn't very good. If you took Romo, you would have a streaky turnover machine. Good luck with that.
I disagree to some degree. His TO's, IMO, are more a product of the type of offense they play, the crappy line they have, and the boneheaded receivers than Romo himself. If you fall behind early, like they always seem to do, throw away your game plan, and start running the same three plays from the shotgun, turnovers are inevitable against most teams in the NFL.

As mediocre to bad as the Cowboys were last season, Romo had 4100+ yds, 31 td's, and a passer rating of 102. That's better than "not that good."
Old 10-03-2012   #11
TheEastwood
Veteran

Rep Power: 934 TheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd put Romo on Schaubs's level or maybe a little below. If you put the pieces around him and get a good line, he'll win more then he loses imo. If Jerra just keeps on adding the sexy wr and rb picks, and continues to neglect the oline then this is what you get; A QB that tries to do too much to overcome the pressure the dline puts on him. Leading to a ton of mistakes (ints and fumbles).

Romo and Cutler do more with less protection than anyother QBs in the league imo. That being said, I'd much rather have Schaub with this team. Schaub has gotten better and better at protecting the ball in his career. He's learned that with this team, it's better to just throw the ball away than try to force something. Romo seems to have never learned that. Romo has a good defense and a good running game (when Garret remembers to run). If he'd just learn not to try to force passes he'd be good.
TheEastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012   #12
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEastwood View Post
I'd put Romo on Schaubs's level or maybe a little below. If you put the pieces around him and get a good line, he'll win more then he loses imo. If Jerra just keeps on adding the sexy wr and rb picks, and continues to neglect the oline then this is what you get; A QB that tries to do too much to overcome the pressure the dline puts on him. Leading to a ton of mistakes (ints and fumbles).

Romo and Cutler do more with less protection than anyother QBs in the league imo. That being said, I'd much rather have Schaub with this team. Schaub has gotten better and better at protecting the ball in his career. He's learned that with this team, it's better to just throw the ball away than try to force something. Romo seems to have never learned that. Romo has a good defense and a good running game (when Garret remembers to run). If he'd just learn not to try to force passes he'd be good.
I disagree. I think Matt, for the most part, handles pressure very well and makes his line look better by doing so. You put Matt in Dallas, they win more games, IMO. Thankfully, we'll never truly know though.
Old 10-03-2012   #13
paycheck71
All Pro

Quote:
I disagree. I think Matt, for the most part, handles pressure very well and makes his line look better by doing so. You put Matt in Dallas, they win more games, IMO. Thankfully, we'll never truly know though.
I think Matt gets killed in Dallas with their line. Romo has more escapability which is the only reason they weren't a 5-6 win team last year.
Old 10-03-2012   #14
Goldensilence
Is this Sparta?

Rep Power: 9088 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think Matt would get killed in Dallas right now same way he would in Chicago. Both have protection issues and Matt just isn't very mobile.

Far as Romo as a QB, all too often I see this guy running for his life and still managing to make plays in the passing game. I think Garrett needs to be more balanced in his play calling and they need to admit Ryan hasn't come in and cleaned up the defense liked they had hoped.

I'm with paycheck in bottom to top this team just doesn't seem to have the right people in place and yet still have a very talented roster.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012   #15
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 15293 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEastwood View Post

Yeah, but at the same time, I would like to ser Schaub gain four or five yards on a scramble and first down, instead of throwing it away
Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
Romo is asked to carry the load more than the rest of the QBs you listed, though Rivers has had to step up after LT left.

The Boys have a good RB now, not sure why Garrett doesn't feed him the rock more often.
Because the offensive line is terrible. Murray can't get any yards.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012   #16
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Romo is like the old Texans...great once in a blue moon, good when it doesn't really count much, and awful when it matters most.

The End. Right? Right.
Old 10-04-2012   #17
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 30061 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Romo is like the old Texans...great once in a blue moon, good when it doesn't really count much, and awful when it matters most.

The End. Right? Right.
Not right. Don't agree at all.

He is a lot better than "great once in a blue moon." The stats above say otherwise. You can't have 3-4 great games and stink and be in the Top 5 all time for QB rating. He has been in this category for over 3 years now. His numbers last year were monster. He also has 13 4th quarter comebacks and 13 game winning drives. 4 of these happened last year

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...layer=RomoTo00

So its not like he chokes all the time. Even when they have failed in December his numbers haven't always been horrible. His issue isn't being awful when it counts most...though that may mean different things to different people. To me it is late December games. His issue is having his stinkers in situations where he kills wins that would lift their status anytime in the year....Detroit and Giants last year. This Chicago game. They can happen anytime and without warning. That's the issue..consistency. You get the Giants game where he might have played his best game ever and then you get this game. Their schedule coming up is BRUTAL for 5 games. He might play excellent for those games but then he might stink up the joint vs say a lesser team. I mean the guy carried them with a busted body last year against a tough 49er team.

As I said above, the question isn't whether the guy is a top QB...I think he is Top 10-12. The issue is would you trust him to win you a SB and that is a good debate because I'm never sure if his bad games are solely due to the O-line product that I've witnessed or a mental product where he will never "get it."

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
That's the thing though - Cowboys QB's are up against a standard far above most other teams. The expectation is HoF and SB's. There are 23 QB's in the HoF. Many of them don't have a ring. So basically only half the league has ever had a HoF QB and even a smaller set has one which has won a SB. The Niners and Cowboys have two each and two Cowboys are splitting 5 SB's, the Niners 4. To carry that farther and address your point of having to make plays with his feet, Romo is playing exactly up against that in Rodger the Dodger, Captain Comeback Staubach - a QB who made time or distance with his feet and still made good decisions consistently. Then he is the anti-Aikman as well since Aikman was Mr. Post Season. It may not be fair but that is the standard for Romo.
Incredibly excellent post Cak!!Must spread rep!
Old 10-05-2012   #18
Goldensilence
Is this Sparta?

Rep Power: 9088 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Thesiman calling someone a mediocre QB?

If there was ever a definition of pot calling the kettle black.....
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012   #19
fmdog44
Rookie

He is not consistant. Like Cutler for the Bears he can shine one week and collapse the next. So how do you remedy it? You don't.
fmdog44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012   #20
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 176794 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm still a Romo fan. The guy is running for his life too often, due to weak O-line & poor route running. Tries too hard to win on his own.

He has improved over the years, but I can't but think if he had a real QB mentor like Kubiak for those times that he'd be highly thought of.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read