Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-24-2012   #1
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What I liked about our game

1. Alot of us were on this board last Tuesday saying we hope Wade Phillips took a page out of the ATL defense's book because they were able to disguise their defenses by moving players around. Phillips said to hell with that and lined up our guys man to man and forced Manning to beat us with his arm. Something we never did before.

2. Matt Schaub showed his leadership yesterday. For the first time I'm seeing Schaub be a real leader, or at least the leader the rest of the team says he is.

3. DBs could've picked Manning off like 5 times. There are some who are saying JJo had a bad game, I saw a DB who pretty much shut down his side of the field the whole game.

4. JJ Watt hasn't become a monster. He's now The Monster!!!! I think I saw 3 sacks today and numerous tackles.

5. Foster looked like himself again.

6. I like how the OL came back and played a decent game after giving up the safety.

7. LBs out classed their opponents. Cushing was pretty awesome.

8. Glover Quin had a really good game.

9. LeStar Jean made a clutch catch for us that helped seal this game.

10. Andre Johnson could've had two TDs and one would've just been another on the highlight film if he doesn't drop it. However, he came back and made the clutch catch in the 4th quarter to get us the 1st down.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012   #2
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 6461 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What I liked about our game

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
1. Alot of us were on this board last Tuesday saying we hope Wade Phillips took a page out of the ATL defense's book because they were able to disguise their defenses by moving players around. Phillips said to hell with that and lined up our guys man to man and forced Manning to beat us with his arm. Something we never did before.

2. Matt Schaub showed his leadership yesterday. For the first time I'm seeing Schaub be a real leader, or at least the leader the rest of the team says he is.

3. DBs could've picked Manning off like 5 times. There are some who are saying JJo had a bad game, I saw a DB who pretty much shut down his side of the field the whole game.

4. JJ Watt hasn't become a monster. He's now The Monster!!!! I think I saw 3 sacks today and numerous tackles.

6. I like how the OL came back and played a decent game after giving up the safety.

10. Andre Johnson could've had two TDs and one would've just been another on the highlight film if he doesn't drop it. However, he came back and made the clutch catch in the 4th quarter to get us the 1st down.
I just want to respond to the AJ "drop". That was not a drop as much as it was a punch out by Champ Bailys magical foot.
Old 09-24-2012   #3
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrewster2000 View Post
I just want to respond to the AJ "drop". That was not a drop as much as it was a punch out by Champ Bailys magical foot.
Correct. That was about to be a SICK catch until champs foot magically finished the play off.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012   #4
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 54609 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

I really liked how Schaub got the whole offense involved. He really spread the ball around, we looked very well balanced.

And as for point 1, I was surprised and impressed with that also. That is the least audibling (is that a word, I think not) that I have seen Manning do.
Old 09-24-2012   #5
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 128861 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
i think this is a very big one. denver got all of the breaks and bounces, but we still won handily. we turned the ball over twice while driving for a score, and missed on several turnover opportunities. they also got the tipped ball in the endzone, the (non) pass interference, and several other opportunities that werent earned. any one of those changes and this game is a blowout instead of a somewhat worrying comeback attempt.
Old 09-24-2012   #6
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 59017 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
i think this is a very big one. denver got all of the breaks and bounces, but we still won handily. we turned the ball over twice while driving for a score, and missed on several turnover opportunities. they also got the tipped ball in the endzone, the (non) pass interference, and several other opportunities that werent earned. any one of those changes and this game is a blowout instead of a somewhat worrying comeback attempt.
MSR.

2 Firsts at my house, my had me turn on the post game show. She read the Sports section of the paper first.
Old 09-24-2012   #7
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I saw Phillips crashing the left side of the line, forcing Manning to his right.

I also saw more press coverage by our CBs than I have ever seen; many many times they were all the way up on the WRs and Manning did NOT like seeing that from us.

From what I saw, Phillips actually employed some of what the Falcons were doing to Manning. In fact, Manning had equal success in the latter part of the game with us as he did with the Falcons...lost by 6 points to both teams. So I think it was perhaps a good comparable game plan to what the Falcons did.

Manning made some nice throws to the right side of the field, contrary to what I expected.

Also, nobody is talking about all the dropped passes by #88 Thomas...I mean, look, we cannot say that we never had lucky things happen to us. He dropped around 3 or 4 passes that would have moved the chains or maybe even worse. He flubbed an out pattern at the goal line that cost them a TD too.
Old 09-24-2012   #8
mokalus
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 mokalus is a quality contributor and well respectedmokalus is a quality contributor and well respectedmokalus is a quality contributor and well respectedmokalus is a quality contributor and well respectedmokalus is a quality contributor and well respectedmokalus is a quality contributor and well respectedmokalus is a quality contributor and well respectedmokalus is a quality contributor and well respectedmokalus is a quality contributor and well respectedmokalus is a quality contributor and well respectedmokalus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I saw Phillips crashing the left side of the line, forcing Manning to his right.

I also saw more press coverage by our CBs than I have ever seen; many many times they were all the way up on the WRs and Manning did NOT like seeing that from us.

From what I saw, Phillips actually employed some of what the Falcons were doing to Manning. In fact, Manning had equal success in the latter part of the game with us as he did with the Falcons...lost by 6 points to both teams. So I think it was perhaps a good comparable game plan to what the Falcons did.

Manning made some nice throws to the right side of the field, contrary to what I expected.

Also, nobody is talking about all the dropped passes by #88 Thomas...I mean, look, we cannot say that we never had lucky things happen to us. He dropped around 3 or 4 passes that would have moved the chains or maybe even worse. He flubbed an out pattern at the goal line that cost them a TD too.
Can you blame Demaryius? Johnathan Joseph got in his head from the get-go.
mokalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012   #9
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75697 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

11. Those Bronco-girls uniforms are HOT.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012   #10
Kgbmedic
M1 Tanker

Rep Power: 4499 Kgbmedic is a quality contributor and well respectedKgbmedic is a quality contributor and well respectedKgbmedic is a quality contributor and well respectedKgbmedic is a quality contributor and well respectedKgbmedic is a quality contributor and well respectedKgbmedic is a quality contributor and well respectedKgbmedic is a quality contributor and well respectedKgbmedic is a quality contributor and well respectedKgbmedic is a quality contributor and well respectedKgbmedic is a quality contributor and well respectedKgbmedic is a quality contributor and well respected

I also noticed that Manning was staring down his receiver. It was blatantly obvious from my living room.
Kgbmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012   #11
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 70160 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

The only real issue I have is with #2. Was anybody here alive in 2010 when Schaub made all those comebacks the defense kept blowing? Schaub has been that leader you say you saw for the first time yesterday, for quite a while now.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012   #12
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75697 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
The only real issue I have is with #2. Was anybody here alive in 2010 when Schaub made all those comebacks the defense kept blowing? Schaub has been that leader you say you saw for the first time yesterday, for quite a while now.
I agree. Schaubie is a leader. He just looks like a dufus.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012   #13
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Am I being over-confident here or am I right in believing that Kubiak called off the dogs pretty damn early in this one, like he doesn't want to run up the score on a possible playoff opponent and give them the opportunity to bear a grudge?

It just seems that we've refused to go more that 3 scores up so far this season, I get that we don't want to show our hand and everything, but it just leaves me a little unsure of just how good we could be. I'm not scared of any other team in the league right now, sure I can see us losing a couple of games, but I really am drinking the kool-aid and believing that we have the best team in the league right now.

I think we beat the Falcons if we play them. I honestly do. I see problems with all the other AFC teams, I think the Bronco's will be in the playoffs and not just to make up the numbers either, they are a good team and we were oh so close to making them look silly.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012   #14
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 59017 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Old 09-24-2012   #15
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 246198 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Despite the thin air, our players were definitely not huffing and puffing, even at the end when Peyton was marching along too long.........although I do remember seeing that from the Broncos, even during the 1st half. Our players seem to have come into the game with commendable aerobic conditioning.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012   #16
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 57076 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
I agree. Schaubie is a leader. He just looks like a dufus.
I told somebody that Schaub always looks high, and yesterday Manning looked a bit drunk.... maybe he's slowly turning into Kerry Collins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012   #17
djohn2oo8
All Pro

Rep Power: 5520 djohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respected

I like that they still have room to improve on offense and defenses won't know what to expect from Keshawn and LeStar until they hit them. 3-0 and can still grow in dominating a game from start to finish.
djohn2oo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012   #18
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3020 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohn2oo8 View Post
I like that they still have room to improve on offense and defenses won't know what to expect from Keshawn and LeStar until they hit them. 3-0 and can still grow in dominating a game from start to finish.
Exactly. This was a six-point game on the scoreboard but a blowout in reality. The Texans dictated the pace of the game, controlled the lines of scrimmage, and basically had this W in hand throughout, yet because of multiple dropped balls that should've been INTs and TDsand a lucky deflection TD for the Donkeys, a small window of opportunity opened for Peyton Manning to pull out another Rosencopter miracle finish. It didn't happen, wasn't meant to be, because this team is different. This team has adopted the mentality of a winner IMO and it's building on itself.

The Texans are an indisputably talented football team and have been for the past couple seasons, but what differentiates this team from their predecessors is a sharp mental edge that overcomes costly mistakes. They are still leaving plays out on the field, but they leave the field winners instead of losers.

I'm thoroughly impressed.
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read