Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-16-2012   #1
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Right Guard: It's On

Looks like we've still got a competition going at RG.

I thoght Antoine was doing a fine job through pre-season & again week 1 against the Dolphins.

For whatever reason, we got a look at Ben Jones today & he didn't look half bad. This may be an interesting battle to watch as the season goes on.
Old 09-16-2012   #2
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Right Guard: It's On

Makes you wonder what's going on with Brooks. It'll be interesting if they try him out at tackle.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012   #3
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Well the running game worked much better today, although that might be as much about the defense we were facing as about the line play.

What was the split between their snaps?
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012   #4
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

As a true right guard in college I expected Brooks to beat Caldwell easily. His size not just bulk but his ability to fit the ZBS may be more a problem than I thought. There has been no mention if he has kept his weight off & reducing since Kubes scolded him in camp. Perhaps it is an issue?
Old 09-16-2012   #5
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Anyone know if Caldwell is injured or not?
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012   #6
phantom17
#1 Fan in RGV!

Rep Power: 1292 phantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought Ben Jones played well. I really liked this pick from the get go. I like them tough & smart.
Old 09-18-2012   #7
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14302 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom17 View Post
I thought Ben Jones played well. I really liked this pick from the get go. I like them tough & smart.
He also keeps Reliant Park very clean and safe by eating all of the roaches and insects. A total beast in every sense of the word.
Old 09-16-2012   #8
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
Anyone know if Caldwell is injured or not?
Insideop, this should answer your question.

Quote:
Nick Scurfield ‏@NickScurfield

Kubiak said it was planned for rookie Ben Jones to play every 3rd series today for RG Antoine Caldwell, They rotated all game #Texans

2:42 PM - 16 Sep 12
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012   #9
dsorc
Veteran

Rep Power: 4846 dsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respected

I see this more as preparation for Caldwell not being re-signed for next year. The only issue might be that we'll need to draft another OC since after Jones we have nobody capable of playing there.
dsorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012   #10
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Insideop, this should answer your question.
Thanks!

Sounds like they are not completely satisfied with Caldwell and may be targeting Ben Jones as his replacement. He must be too good to just sit behind Myers at Center and they want to get him on the field anyway they can. I wonder if this means Brooks may ultimately be moved to LG and replace Wade Smith, who is getting a little "long in the tooth."
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012   #11
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
Makes you wonder what's going on with Brooks. It'll be interesting if they try him out at tackle.
I noticed Brooks was inactive today, though.

Can't remember if it was injury related or not.
Old 09-16-2012   #12
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Brooks was inactive last week too.

You can only carry so many and he's not one of the top guys.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012   #13
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

FYI, Brooks is now down to 320 pounds.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012   #14
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Did you see the RZ play when Newton moved to RG and Harris was RT? TD, BABY!
Old 10-16-2012   #15
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Did you see the RZ play when Newton moved to RG and Harris was RT? TD, BABY!
No, BB, we were in our jumbo set both times.
Newton was at his normal RT spot and Harris was the extra OT on Newton's outside.
Jones was stil there at RG (one time he pulled to the outside behind both OTs.)
That's just how we roll quite often near the goal line.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012   #16
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Newton was at his normal RT spot and Harris was the extra OT on Newton's outside.
That goal line series made me kind of sad. Ran a similar formation the first time and got nowhere, then put in another blocker on the right between the RT and TE, pulled the guard, had the fullback lead Foster again, and finally got in there. That seems like overkill to me, but it was completely necessary because we couldn't get the push needed without the extra guy.
Dutchrudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012   #17
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
That goal line series made me kind of sad. Ran a similar formation the first time and got nowhere, then put in another blocker on the right between the RT and TE, pulled the guard, had the fullback lead Foster again, and finally got in there. That seems like overkill to me, but it was completely necessary because we couldn't get the push needed without the extra guy.
Not really, Dutch.

Lots of teams, including the Pats, use that extra OT near the goal-line from time to time.

Or like the Dolphins, when they started all that wild cat thing, use an extra OT quite often.

Also, we have used this formation forever, when Salaam was still with us.
Near the goal-line, sometimes we would see D. Brown, Salaam, and Winston as OTs.
Old 10-16-2012   #18
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I thought I saw Jones in there but when I looked for Myers and did not see him, I though he was out a play. So we went with 6 OL?
Old 10-17-2012   #19
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I thought I saw Jones in there but when I looked for Myers and did not see him, I though he was out a play. So we went with 6 OL?
We ran the exact same play on both TD runs.
Myers went immediately for a cut block both times; that's probably why you didn't see him.

According to Football Outsiders, Myers & W. Smith played every offensive snaps.
D. Brown was not in on 3 of them.

BTW, does anybody knows what Kubiak means when he says that Caldwell is going through the protocol with the league regarding his concussion.

Does that mean that he's automatically out for one game?
Old 10-16-2012   #20
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
FYI, Brooks is now down to 320 pounds.
I heard earlier that if Caldwell can't go Brooks could see some time playing Guard...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read