Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-10-2012   #1
awc713
Rookie

Rep Power: 247 awc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Connor Barwin?

What are your thoughts on the guy?

Seemed to disappear in the playoffs against Cinci, don't remember him being much of a factor agianst Baltimore.

Didn't look that great yesterday either. Reason for worry? Is he over-rated? 4 of his sacks did come in one game agaisnt Gabbert...

thoughts?
awc713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #2
Bleed_Blu_Red
Veteran

Rep Power: 2095 Bleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Connor Barwin?

Wouldn't say he is overrated,sometimes you just don't factor into games I'm sure he will be fine and put up numbers 15 regular season games left.
Bleed_Blu_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #3
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I think that it's only a matter of time when Whitney Mercilus replaces him. I think he and Reed are both strong side guys.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #4
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216126 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I think that it's only a matter of time when Whitney Mercilus replaces him. I think he and Reed are both strong side guys.
I agree.

Didn't think he disappeared in the play-offs though.
Old 09-10-2012   #5
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not a huge fan of any of the edge rushers we have really. I like barwin, but I'm with vinny. I think he'd look better playing with a true weakside pass rusher. I'm not convinced merciless is that guy, but he looks more explosive coming off the edge than anyone else I've seen besides watt.

I liked the look I saw yesterday with watt at end and smith at dt when they were rushing the passer.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #6
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I'm not a huge fan of any of the edge rushers we have really. I like barwin, but I'm with vinny. I think he'd look better playing with a true weakside pass rusher. I'm not convinced merciless is that guy, but he looks more explosive coming off the edge than anyone else I've seen besides watt.

I liked the look I saw yesterday with watt at end and smith at dt when they were rushing the passer.
I think their best look is when Watt is playing the 3 Technique and Barwin at the 5.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #7
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14302 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

Look for Barwin to rack up two or three sacks against Gabbert this Sunday.
Old 09-10-2012   #8
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 262563 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Depends on how they gameplan our defense. Connor is a stud -- I think I'd point my offense toward Reed/Mercilus if choosing my poisin.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #9
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43308 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Has Barwin put on weight since last year ?
IDEXAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #10
Bleed_Blu_Red
Veteran

Rep Power: 2095 Bleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Has Barwin put on weight since last year ?
Ya he is 270,before he was 255 or 260 a lot of people say that's why he isn't the same he lost quickness and acceleration. it's just one game to me.
Bleed_Blu_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216126 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed_Blu_Red View Post
Ya he is 270,before he was 255 or 260 a lot of people say that's why he isn't the same he lost quickness and acceleration. it's just one game to me.
Why would he gain weight if he's going to play the weakside?
Old 09-10-2012   #12
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2801 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed_Blu_Red View Post
He bulked up and then worried that the weight might make him lose a step. I've watched him very closely and he looks to me like he has.
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #13
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

The reason Wade drafted Mercilus is to keep a fresh rotation of strong pass rushers. That's how the Giants have beaten one of the best QB's in history in two Superbowls. That said, Barwin's value will soar in the offseason, and he won't be a Texan next year. And good for him on his future wealth, which was jeopardized after his ankle injury in 2010.

But for that reason, we're probably taking another OLB in the 1st or 2nd round next year.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #14
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
The reason Wade drafted Mercilus is to keep a fresh rotation of strong pass rushers. That's how the Giants have beaten one of the best QB's in history in two Superbowls. That said, Barwin's value will soar in the offseason, and he won't be a Texan next year. And good for him on his future wealth, which was jeopardized after his ankle injury in 2010.

But for that reason, we're probably taking another OLB in the 1st or 2nd round next year.
If they didnt have the franchise tag option ..... I'd tend to agree with you here that he would be gone. But we're talking about an OLB rather than a DE so his tagnumber will be kept down because of that .... enabling the Texans to either negotiate a long term deal (Barwin understands the importance because of the prior injury) or tag him for a one year deal.

My money is on them coming to amutual agreement.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #15
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
If they didnt have the franchise tag option ..... I'd tend to agree with you here that he would be gone. But we're talking about an OLB rather than a DE so his tagnumber will be kept down because of that .... enabling the Texans to either negotiate a long term deal (Barwin understands the importance because of the prior injury) or tag him for a one year deal.

My money is on them coming to amutual agreement.
Rick Smith said he thought the franchise tag number for Barwin would be around $9MM.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012   #16
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
Rick Smith said he thought the franchise tag number for Barwin would be around $9MM.
I was thinking around ~$8 when I made the post .... Sounds reasonable.

Will they pay that ?? .... There's the $8-9M question. Alldepends upon how Barwin performs this year.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012   #17
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe after resigning Schaub & Brown it would be too difficult to restructure more contracts to extend Barwin? All this talk about franchising players, are franchise tags cap friendly? I don't think so.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012   #18
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
The reason Wade drafted Mercilus is to keep a fresh rotation of strong pass rushers. .
The reason we drafted Mercilus is because he's a pass rusher. Connor, not so much. A solid DE, SOLB maybe. But he's no "pass rusher"

Mario Williams was on his way to a 16+ sack season in Wade's system. Demarcus Ware was continuously at the top of the league, in Wade's system.

The WOLB position in Wade's system is like a RB in Kubiak's system, you've got to have the right guys there & Connor (though he's a damn good football player) is not that guy.

If Connor gets 15+ sacks this season, then I'm wrong & would love to see it. I just don't see it happening.

We need a solid rotation of pass rushers, no doubt. But Connor is not the main event. Merci might be.
Old 09-23-2012   #19
macho grande
Veteran

Section: thin air up here
Rep Power: 347 macho grande is a quality contributor and well respectedmacho grande is a quality contributor and well respectedmacho grande is a quality contributor and well respectedmacho grande is a quality contributor and well respectedmacho grande is a quality contributor and well respectedmacho grande is a quality contributor and well respectedmacho grande is a quality contributor and well respectedmacho grande is a quality contributor and well respectedmacho grande is a quality contributor and well respectedmacho grande is a quality contributor and well respectedmacho grande is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naiirb View Post
I believe i heard Barwins name 2-3 times throughout the entire game? I blame the hair being cut off. Lost his mojo
This game? I don't know if I've heard his name 2-3 times this season.
macho grande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012   #20
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2801 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been saying it since the preseason that Barwin has lost a step and looks much slower in his pass rush. There was next to no pressure from the edge in todays game.
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read