Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-09-2012   #1
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52329 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Matt Schaub Signs Extension

Per Mark Berman:

RT @MarkBermanFox26: Matt Schaub's extension is for 4 years worth 62 million/24.750 guaranteed
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012   #2
GlenRice
Veteran

Rep Power: 681 GlenRice is a quality contributor and well respectedGlenRice is a quality contributor and well respectedGlenRice is a quality contributor and well respectedGlenRice is a quality contributor and well respectedGlenRice is a quality contributor and well respectedGlenRice is a quality contributor and well respectedGlenRice is a quality contributor and well respectedGlenRice is a quality contributor and well respectedGlenRice is a quality contributor and well respectedGlenRice is a quality contributor and well respectedGlenRice is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Matt Schaub Signs Extension

Now go get him a another threat opposite of AJ.
GlenRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012   #3
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Ugh... I dont feel good about the length of that contract. I realize it only puts him at 35, but still, just not a good feeling. Hopefully I am wrong though.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012   #4
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2801 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Ugh... I dont feel good about the length of that contract. I realize it only puts him at 35, but still, just not a good feeling. Hopefully I am wrong though.
And you don't feel good about it why???
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012   #5
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf123 View Post
Just a gut feeling, you know? Schaub is a good QB. Arguably top 10, and I am very happy that he is on the Texans. However, I dont know if we can win a Super Bowl with him. When the pocket breaks down, the Schaub has, historically, been and trouble. And it sounds like (I could not watch the game) he has gotten even worse in this regard. This is something that will never get better.

I am not advocating a running QB- I dont want a Vick or Young. I do want a guy, who when stuff goes down, can make plays with his feet, even if it is just buying time. Look at the last couple QBs to win a Super Bowl- Eli Manning (not a run threat, but moves well), Rodgers, Big Ben, Brees, Brady. Peyton is the only real exception here, and even that is questionable since his release was so quick.

Like I said, Schaub is a good QB. In particular, he has probably the best play action fake in the NFL. I just dont think he can get it done without pristine protection.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #6
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Just a gut feeling, you know? Schaub is a good QB. Arguably top 10, and I am very happy that he is on the Texans. However, I dont know if we can win a Super Bowl with him. When the pocket breaks down, the Schaub has, historically, been and trouble. And it sounds like (I could not watch the game) he has gotten even worse in this regard. This is something that will never get better.

I am not advocating a running QB- I dont want a Vick or Young. I do want a guy, who when stuff goes down, can make plays with his feet, even if it is just buying time. Look at the last couple QBs to win a Super Bowl- Eli Manning (not a run threat, but moves well), Rodgers, Big Ben, Brees, Brady. Peyton is the only real exception here, and even that is questionable since his release was so quick.

Like I said, Schaub is a good QB. In particular, he has probably the best play action fake in the NFL. I just dont think he can get it done without pristine protection.
Don't worry with only 24.75 mil. guaranteed I think it's highly doubtful Schaub is here all 4 of those years. All the guaranteed money will be paid out after only 2 yrs.. As long as Schaub stays healthy I like this contract, and the signing of Jamison. Excellent work by Rick Smith. That's 2 less needs in the 2013 draft.

I hope they can extend Barwin as well but he may not work out in the numbers crunch, and with Mercilus waiting to play Barwin may just be odd man out at the end of the season. I hope I'm wrong.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012   #7
Iceman16
Veteran

Rep Power: 371 Iceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Because we're paying $15M/year to an above-average player.
Iceman16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-09-2012   #8
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209005 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman16 View Post
Besides Schaub, who else would you recommend being our starting QB? Schaub, despite some of his failings, is still a good QB in Kubiak's system. And he did make some good throws today.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012   #9
Iceman16
Veteran

Rep Power: 371 Iceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.spotrac.com/top-salaries/nfl/quarterback/ To those that think Schaub is getting paid like a player of his caliber.
Iceman16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012   #10
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2801 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman16 View Post
Yes, lets live through another season of TJ yates.... He looked so good this preason
Old 09-09-2012   #11
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24496 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow, that's bigger than I expected....
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012   #12
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 62963 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

So did Tim Jamison.

Link

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012   #13
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27592 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Congrats to Matt and Tim! Now Matt keep making sure you protect yourself!
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012   #14
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 78537 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i like it, though it's quite a bit bigger than i think it should be. schaub is the quarterback we're built for. when discussing our other quarterbacks i compare them to schaub ... can they "throw to a spot blindfolded" like schaub? the answer is always "no". average arm, no mobility, doesnt adjust very quickly ... but he's accurate and as i said - he can put the ball exactly where it's supposed to be based on the offensive and defensive calls faster than anyone we could sign. there is one knock, his heath ... and even that is hardly a knock. every injury is from awkward contact, not muscle or joint or anything hinting at a weakness.

towards his age, it doesnt matter. he's more in the chad pennington mold, decision and accuracy are key, though he still has more velocity than our current rookie. as long as matt and kubiak are together, he's going to be no worse than very very good.
Old 09-09-2012   #15
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171454 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

He's gettin paid like a top 10 QB .... Now he better play like one and stay on the field.

On to getting Barwin done.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012   #16
wolf123
All Pro

I think Barwin is gonna wish he took the Texans offer. He has looked very average after putting on weight...
Old 09-09-2012   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I think Barwin is gonna wish he took the Texans offer. He has looked very average after putting on weight...
Shuan Cody beat him in a free-style swim meet.

Old 09-09-2012   #18
wolf123
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
Shuan Cody beat him in a free-style swim meet.

The pass rush on the edge was not good enough today..
Old 09-10-2012   #19
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 75563 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
When did this happen. I can't believe I missed that the Texans even made an offer, let alone Barwin refusing it.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012   #20
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Good news, looks as if its very lucrative to him if he stays healthy and good, and reasonable for the Texans if he doesn't. Gives us options if Yates develops into starter material in that timeframe as well.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read