Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: What round pick would you expect in return for Tate?
1st 29 45.31%
2nd 22 34.38%
3rd 12 18.75%
4th or lower 1 1.56%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-07-2012   #1
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 5 questions: Ben Tate edition

How important is Ben Tate to this team?

Can the Texans keep him long term?

Would you try to keep him long term?

Is there any chance Ben Tate is with the team past next year?

What would you expect in return from a trade involving Tate?
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012   #2
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31977 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 5 questions: Ben Tate edition

Ben is a solid back but I don't see anyone giving a second rounder or higher. You can select solid backs after the first round. Probably a low third is his range.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012   #3
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 23832 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

I say we keep him until his contract runs out and then just let him go. He deserves to be a #1 back in the league and i don't think he'd take a discount to stay here and be a backup.
Old 09-07-2012   #4
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 114345 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

as important as a backup can be. dude ran for over 5 ypc and nearly 1000 yards last season, essentially as a rookie getting 1/3 of the snaps.

unlikely, by the time his rookie deal expires, he'll be looking for (and getting) starter money in free agency.

definitely, it's a passing league but our passing attack is based off of play action. we're probably the most balanced offense in football and you need a capable backup incase of injury and to spell the starter in order to make our offense work at full strength. i wouldnt however keep him "at any cost", because RB is NOT a position to sink too much money into.

it's possible we're able to extend him, especially if he gets hurt or has a down year. again, unlikely, but possible.

i definitely would. the chances of keeping him, and at a reasonable price are very low, so i would shop him around incase he blows up or someone gets desperate. i dont see it happening though, we'll use tate as long as we can and then he'll leave. if we were to trade him, i'd be trying to get a late first. a young great runningback who fits multiple schemes and has very little wear on him is worth no less than an early second.

Last edited by Scooter; 09-07-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012   #5
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

There wasn't a RB in this most recent draft of Tate's caliber. This would have been the time to trade him, probably could have gotten a 1st for him.

In the future, maybe we can get a solid player plus a first day pick. Maybe two second round picks. Kinda like Michael Turner.

I know, a lot of people want to think the running game isn't very important, but if you don't have an elite QB, you'd better have an elite running game to keep those elite guys on the sideline.
Old 09-07-2012   #6
Quick II Draw
Veteran

Rep Power: 2096 Quick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
There wasn't a RB in this most recent draft of Tate's caliber. This would have been the time to trade him, probably could have gotten a 1st for him.

In the future, maybe we can get a solid player plus a first day pick. Maybe two second round picks. Kinda like Michael Turner.

I know, a lot of people want to think the running game isn't very important, but if you don't have an elite QB, you'd better have an elite running game to keep those elite guys on the sideline.
Wow. Where to start...

No RBs of Tate's caliber in this draft? I hope you meant "exactly the same caliber" as Tate, because do you really think TRENT RICHARDSON isn't better than or equal to Tate?!?!

We couldn't have gotten a first for him. You and the other majority of respondents who said we "could get a 1st" for Tate are woefully misguided. In the past, high draft picks got PAID, so the picks were worth less in trade value. Nowadays with the rookie wage scale, draft picks are solid gold.

Vontae Davis, a former 1st and historically solid CB coming off one down year, was surprisingly traded for a 2nd. An uber young talent at one of the highest positions of need in football...

Nobody thinks a running game is unimportant. (Forget the 32nd-rank run offenses that have gone to the super bowl in recent years). The distinction is that nowadays nearly every single team is RBBC, so it has become unimportant to draft a super-talented bell cow with a high pick when two mid-rounders can combine for the same numbers. How could anyone possibly think that a RB warrants a 1st nowadays?
Quick II Draw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012   #7
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
Ben is a solid back but I don't see anyone giving a second rounder or higher. You can select solid backs after the first round. Probably a low third is his range.
See I don't know if I'd take a third round pick for him. I'd rather do what Ryan said and keep him that last year.
Sponsored links
Old 09-07-2012   #8
Rey
Hall of Fame

I was just thinking about Carolina and how they have two rb's signed to healthy long term deals. I was also thinking about Foster maybe being nicked up for the dlolphins. We like to run the ball. We depend on the run for a good portion of our offense. I was actually thinking it might be worth it to extend Tate. He's a great option when Arian is not in and I actually wouldn't mind seeing him used more to keep both of them fresh.

Ive thought about trading him too, but I dont believe we are going to get a first round pick for him. I could be wrong, but I think Tate is more valuable on the team than being traded.
Old 09-07-2012   #9
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I was just thinking about Carolina and how they have two rb's signed to healthy long term deals. I was also thinking about Foster maybe being nicked up for the dlolphins. We like to run the ball. We depend on the run for a good portion of our offense. I was actually thinking it might be worth it to extend Tate. He's a great option when Arian is not in and I actually wouldn't mind seeing him used more to keep both of them fresh.

Ive thought about trading him too, but I dont believe we are going to get a first round pick for him. I could be wrong, but I think Tate is more valuable on the team than being traded.
Lets just say we get a first rounder for him, then we have to pay that first rounder. Id rather put that money towards tates contract.

What about if we offered him an extension instead of waiting for his contract to run out? It always seems like teams get better deals if they are proactive instead of reactive. I bet we could get him for an additional three years on his current contract for 5 mill per?
Old 09-07-2012   #10
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209048 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How important is Ben Tate to this team?

Can the Texans keep him long term?

Would you try to keep him long term?

Is there any chance Ben Tate is with the team past next year?

What would you expect in return from a trade involving Tate?
Man , tough questions Rey.

Tate's importance is overshadowed by that of Foster obviously .... but if you dont have Tate , Foster is probably overworked heavily.

Can they keep him , I dont know .... I think he's starter quality. Depends upon how the rest of the league views him.

I'd like to keep him around for the long haul just dont know if you can pay him and Foster fair market value at the same time with the salary cap what it is. Maybe you ride Foster hard this year and next then cut / trade him and give Tate the starting gig.

If I were to move him today , I'd expect nothing short of an early second , late first rounder in return if Im giving him up this year. Next season I might have to revise that lower but for now , thats where Im at as far as value.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012   #11
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46138 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Unless we can get a first rounder for him, there is no point in trading him now, but I don't think that's going to happen. He was a second round pick himself that obviously panned out and will be a #1 back in this league somewhere.

Next year, if the Texans are not planning to resign him, then I'd take a 2nd or 3rd rounder, so we could draft his replacement.
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012   #12
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 54609 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't want to trade him, so not going to vote.

there :pouts:
Old 09-07-2012   #13
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209048 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post

I dont want to trade him either ..... he's got this year and next on his deal.

During that time , I want to see if he can sustain what he's done , if he can and Foster slows down considerably , you deal with that situation and retain Tate as the fresher back ...

Make no mistake about it , Foster is special but in this business we all know NFL stands for .... Not For Long and that usually goes double when talking about the shelf life of an RB.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012   #14
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 309459 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Same with me, stop trading our guys ... we need them.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012   #15
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I agree, that's why I went with 3rd round. I assume he will get a starting gig somewhere else in free agency, and we will get a 3rd round compensatory pick for him in 2014

I'd like to get something out of him, but he's just so cheap, it's hard to see the Texans trading him next year. I don't think we will have the money to keep him, and I think the money could be wisely spent elsewhere.
Old 09-08-2012   #16
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 241723 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Yeah...Whut she said.
And just where the heck IS the "I see no logically sane reason to break up our RB tandom for any price" option.

Edit:
The next draft will tip Smithiak's hand with respect to Ben Tate's future with the Texans. If we use a top three pick in the next draft (perhaps in the 2014) on a RB then they are probably preparing for life without Tate. Just my

Last edited by ObsiWan; 09-08-2012 at 03:48 AM.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012   #17
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Man , tough questions Rey.

Tate's importance is overshadowed by that of Foster obviously .... but if you dont have Tate , Foster is probably overworked heavily.

Can they keep him , I dont know .... I think he's starter quality. Depends upon how the rest of the league views him.

I'd like to keep him around for the long haul just dont know if you can pay him and Foster fair market value at the same time with the salary cap what it is. Maybe you ride Foster hard this year and next then cut / trade him and give Tate the starting gig.

If I were to move him today , I'd expect nothing short of an early second , late first rounder in return if Im giving him up this year. Next season I might have to revise that lower but for now , thats where Im at as far as value.
Top of the 2nd rd is what Tate is worth to me.

That said, if AF went down I would be comfortable with Forsett getting the majority of the carries. Although Tate is a great RB, Forsett has accomplished more in his career than Tate has.

It sure is nice to have a RB corps of AF, Tate, Forsett. Instead of the tripletts of crap that were Hollings,Lundy,Allen etc... yes I'm calling you out Jonathan Wells. Man it's hard to believe how bad Casserly was at his job.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012   #18
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 114345 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
It sure is nice to have a RB corps of AF, Tate, Forsett. Instead of the tripletts of crap that were Hollings,Lundy,Allen etc... yes I'm calling you out Jonathan Wells. Man it's hard to believe how bad Casserly was at his job.
wow, i'd almost forgotten how bad we were at so many positions, but that group is especially cringe worthy. can i change my vote to keep tate at whatever cost? i never want to go back to those dark days again.
Old 09-07-2012   #19
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by paycheck71 View Post
He was a second round pick himself that obviously panned out and will be a #1 back in this league somewhere.
Not picking on you, but I keep reading this...are there really going to be a lot of teams out there that are going to want to pay Tate to be a number one rb?
Old 09-07-2012   #20
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46138 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not picking on you, but I keep reading this...are there really going to be a lot of teams out there that are going to want to pay Tate to be a number one rb?
I don't know if there is going to be a lot, but you just need one. Not sure who could use an upgrade at RB off the top of my head. Most teams would probably upgrade through the draft, but who knows...
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read