Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-01-2012   #1
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235494 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans sign OT Ryan Harris

Alan Burge ‏@AlanBurge
Ryan Harris is your new OT #texans

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
Denver Post says OT Ryan Harris has signed with Texans so he can return to zone blocking scheme.

DOB: 3/11/1985
Ht / Wt: 6'5' / 300
College: Notre Dame

Background: http://predominantlyorange.com/2012/...kely-not-over/

Quote:
Harris was drafted by the Broncos in the third round of the 2007 draft, and he was with the team from 2007-2010 where he started 34 games. He was placed on the injured reserve list in 2009 after dislocating two toes, and Josh McDaniels was very frustrated with his play. Harris made his way back to the starting lineup at the end of the 2010 season, but decided to move on to a different team in free agency.

Harris signed with the Philadelphia Eagles and was supposed to be the starter there until he herniated a disk in his back during a preseason game. After he had surgery (the third of his career) on his back, many believed that he didn’t play with enough athleticism.

That didn’t deter the Broncos from resigning him, however.

During Broncos training camp, Harris rotated in with the second and third team offense and was listed as Orlando Franklin’s backup on the depth chart. Chris Clark was the first tackle off the bench in practice and games, however, and as it turns out, that’s who the Broncos ended up choosing in the end.

“It always comes down to the numbers,” Elway said. “Ryan [Harris] had a good camp. He competed. We just felt that with [Chris] Kuper being down and out for probably four more weeks that numbers wise we had to go the direction that we went...
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012   #2
Bleed_Blu_Red
Veteran

Rep Power: 2094 Bleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans claim OT Ryan Harris

Very Nice if his back is good to go Great Pick Up
Bleed_Blu_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012   #3
Seasick Sailor
Rookie

Rep Power: 544 Seasick Sailor is a quality contributor and well respectedSeasick Sailor is a quality contributor and well respectedSeasick Sailor is a quality contributor and well respectedSeasick Sailor is a quality contributor and well respectedSeasick Sailor is a quality contributor and well respectedSeasick Sailor is a quality contributor and well respectedSeasick Sailor is a quality contributor and well respectedSeasick Sailor is a quality contributor and well respectedSeasick Sailor is a quality contributor and well respectedSeasick Sailor is a quality contributor and well respectedSeasick Sailor is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans claim OT Ryan Harris

I'm glad to see we claimed someone to help the line depth.

Can he handle the swing tackle role?
Seasick Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012   #4
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans sign OT Ryan Harris

Well he has proven he can be a good T in the NFL, I guess the question is whether his back can handle it.

Definitely worth kicking the tyres on.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012   #5
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...offensive-line
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012   #6
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

It had to happen. Not a surprise, and hopefully his back holds up.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012   #7
Bleed_Blu_Red
Veteran

Rep Power: 2094 Bleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respected

Just throwing it out there if Newton struggles you think Kub's would pull him early and throw in Harris?
Bleed_Blu_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-01-2012   #8
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed_Blu_Red View Post
Just throwing it out there if Newton struggles you think Kub's would pull him early and throw in Harris?
No. Newton is going to struggle early, it's what most young players do. It is better for him to struggle in the beginning of the season than in the playoffs.

Now, an arrangement like what happened in Brown's rookie season is pretty likely.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012   #9
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
How much did he cost?
Most likely vet minimum, and given his injury history, it may be a split contract. So it would only be guaranteed if he plays in X number of games before getting injured. We shall see, but a healthy, experienced RT would be nice.

Sad thing is, I think the Texans could have been well off by cutting Butler instead of Winston. Now it's Butlers 1.3 million salary plus this guys 540k cap hit versus Winston's 4.5 million (Newton at swing T for min). Only a 2.7 mill difference now, and that may go down if Harris doesn't make it through the season or we trade for another RT.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda...
Old 09-01-2012   #10
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 166327 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Most likely vet minimum, and given his injury history, it may be a split contract. So it would only be guaranteed if he plays in X number of games before getting injured. We shall see, but a healthy, experienced RT would be nice.

Sad thing is, I think the Texans could have been well off by cutting Butler instead of Winston. Now it's Butlers 1.3 million salary plus this guys 540k cap hit versus Winston's 4.5 million (Newton at swing T for min). Only a 2.7 mill difference now, and that may go down if Harris doesn't make it through the season or we trade for another RT.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda...
If they cut Butler instead of Winston - back when those cuts had to be made - then that still would have left us with 3.2 mil worth of cuts to make elsewhere. Who would you have given up back then?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012   #11
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
If they cut Butler instead of Winston - back when those cuts had to be made - then that still would have left us with 3.2 mil worth of cuts to make elsewhere. Who would you have given up back then?

They didn't have to do anything to get under the cap because AJ restructured his deal a few days prior to Winston and Lienarts release. I think Myers was signed a couple weeks later too, so his 3-4 million caphit wasn't included either. NFL.com says we had over 4 million free in July: http://m.nfl.com/news/09000d5d82a421db/

All the cap space story was BS to make the fans less angry. So cutting Butler instead would have put us around 800k in space in July, but since he's on IR we have another spot to fill for 540k. That means we would be around 1.34 million in space if we had kept Winston and cut the backup, as opposed to 4mill, minus the new guys cost.
Old 09-02-2012   #12
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 166327 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
They didn't have to do anything to get under the cap because AJ restructured his deal a few days prior to Winston and Lienarts release. I think Myers was signed a couple weeks later too, so his 3-4 million caphit wasn't included either. NFL.com says we had over 4 million free in July: http://m.nfl.com/news/09000d5d82a421db/

All the cap space story was BS to make the fans less angry. So cutting Butler instead would have put us around 800k in space in July, but since he's on IR we have another spot to fill for 540k. That means we would be around 1.34 million in space if we had kept Winston and cut the backup, as opposed to 4mill, minus the new guys cost.
So you're saying Uncle Bob directed his employees to lie to his potential customers??
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012   #13
Premier
All Pro

Rep Power: 8248 Premier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respected

anybody remember seeing this guy on mtv true life..
Old 09-02-2012   #14
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1298 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premier View Post
Hahaha, yep.

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012   #15
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premier View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 281 View Post
Hahaha, yep.
From a 2003 article I dug up.

Harris Goes Prime-Time

Quote:
Harris is also going prime-time on us. "I am going to be on MTV. I did a feature on MTV's "True Life" series. They called me up because they found that I was the lightest offensive lineman to sign and they wanted to follow me working out. It's going to air on August 6th. It was a lot of fun."

The TV star says he has some goals set for him this year. "My goal is to be a Freshman All-American and win the Heisman Trophy. Now, I don't want that to sound like I think I am coming in thinking I'm going to play or start. I just think you need to set your goals as high as they can be and you shoot for them. I don't know if I will even play but I am going to work as hard as anyone who will become an All-American. I just want to contribute in any way I can. I hope to get some minutes playing and I would love to end up being second team or even starting."

Harris has always set his goals high and continues to do that. He has goals set far beyond football. "I will probably major in administration or management. I will probably look into a foriegn language as well but I might also look into Political science."

The political science major is something he has talked about before when discussing his dream to be the U.S. President. "It's still a dream and something I'm very serious about. I'm not kidding in the slightest. I think I could be a great president. I'm seriously going to run for President. I am counting on your vote." If Ryan ever runs, he has my vote.

Ryan Harris is going to be a fan-favorite. He is dead-serious about running for President and he has the ambition and personality to win. I am really going to enjoy following Harris at Notre Dame and in life after football.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012   #16
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 55298 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
We are going to learn very quickly what Newt is made of because a week from today he's gonna be going up against the 'Phins Cameron Wake, who's a big-time pass-rusher. In the meantime the Texans maybe have a plan B they aren't saying too much about if Newt fails, which is moving Wade Smith to RT (he's got a resume which has him with tackle experience when still with the Chiefs), and moving rookie Ben Jones into the lineup to fill Smith's position at LG. If you haven't been paying that much attention to the Georgia rookie you may have missed him playing guard the other night when he was very impressive.
Good post. I remember one of the selling points about Smith when we signed him was that he could be moved around on the line.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012   #17
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

If we can even just platoon that RT spot with Newton and Harris...it'll keep both guys fresh all game long, help toward the marathon that they'll endure for the next 19 games.
Old 09-05-2012   #18
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
If we can even just platoon that RT spot with Newton and Harris...it'll keep both guys fresh all game long, help toward the marathon that they'll endure for the next 19 games.
O linemen shouldn't have much trouble staying fresh. At least not at this point in their NFL careers.

I doubt we'll see that happen.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012   #19
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 208960 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Most of the time, but not all, once a player starts getting nicked up a lot in the NFL, they continue down that road. That's why I'm leary of this guy ever playing full time, just like how I feel about AJ and Schaub.

But everyone knows predicting the NFL is like predicting the weather. We got 16 games ahead of us, we'll see.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012   #20
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Most of the time, but not all, once a player starts getting nicked up a lot in the NFL, they continue down that road. That's why I'm leary of this guy ever playing full time, just like how I feel about AJ and Schaub.

But everyone knows predicting the NFL is like predicting the weather. We got 16 games ahead of us, we'll see.
I hope Jean , Martin, & Posey all step up this year. The more time on the field for them the less chance AJ gets hurt.
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read