Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-31-2012   #1
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Do we have a Super Bowl team or not?

Cuts are pretty much over & final starters set. Sure RT is a question mark especially with Butler out but he did not play last season and if Newton can play as much as his predecessor, the swing may not matter.

Schaub & AJ seemingly have resolved questions about current health even if not known how healthy each will remain.

Trindon could end up with a Holliday named after him.

Our WRs look better than last season and Dreesen's loss may be erased by Graham.

Defense, well that is a concern for me with Brooks and Bradie James not doing as well I hoped. NT remains a question as does our back up DBs.

Regardless, I'm calling a SB for our guys.
Old 08-31-2012   #2
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143551 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Do we have a Super Bowl team or not?

We have the talent and we have the coaches.

We just need the luck to go with them.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012   #3
TdotTexas2Step
All Pro

Rep Power: 1975 TdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respected

We'll have a much better indication of things after 2-4 games.

The big question for me on offense isn't the depth at WR, but how the line holds up in both the running and passing game.

And as for defense, I'm not too worried, as Wade has been keeping the good stuff under wraps, and when he unloads it on the opposing team, it'll be tough to beat. If we had to point to a concern, it'd probably be the run D, as was the main issue last year, and I don't feel like we've added anyone to address that.
TdotTexas2Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012   #4
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 173371 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

That's why they play the games.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012   #5
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 10357 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected

I say yes. I think we have a good 2-3 wide open window for Super bowl appearances. Hopefully this is the year we make it, and the first of many.

Keenum is not the QB of the future.
Lurvinator11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012   #6
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

if we stay reasonably healthy and avoid killer injuries-which imo are qb, lt & rt, all 3 d-line, cush, j-joe, we'll be there at the end of january
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012   #7
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Any team with Keo and Gardner on it really has to stay healthy.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-15-2012   #8
BorrowMe
Rookie

Rep Power: 315 BorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respected

Luckily we're in the AFC. I really don't see any threat from the AFC except for the patriots. The ravens aren't the same anymore. I see us maybe finishing 1st or 2nd in the AFC.

Sent from my LG-LG855 using Tapatalk
BorrowMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012   #9
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63790 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Never really bought much into the SB hype of this team to begin with. Too many things have to go right for that to happen. maybe enough to make it there...but were not ready to win it....yet.

Some cracks in the armour of this team were exposed last night.

For instance, If it ain't Watt making the play on the front four, we're going to struggle. Teams aren't fearing Barwin or Reed on the edge.

Teams are willing to wager their guys winning the 1 on 1 match ups against our secondary...& they are winning them.

I think our maturity showed last night as well. Stupid penalty after stupid penalty kept drives alive for the Packers....the spotlight burned them to a crisp.

& I can't make up my mind whether or not AJ is just trying to take it as easy as possible so as to not miss any games............or him falling over the hill over night b/c he clearly doesn't look like the same guy...not even from last year.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012   #10
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 58841 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans certainly can be a SB team.

But I am still trying to figure out if my friend was right when he called the Texans "The Boise State" of the NFL. Dominating a joke of a division, getting wins against pretty good teams, then blowing it against elite talent
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012   #11
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63790 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
The Texans certainly can be a SB team.

But I am still trying to figure out if my friend was right when he called the Texans "The Boise State" of the NFL. Dominating a joke of a division, getting wins against pretty good teams, then blowing it against elite talent
Your friend is silly. Boise State got on the map by beating those "elite" teams in prime time games (OU, Oregon, Georgia).

Furthermore, there are only really about 3 elite teams in the NFL in any given year...most teams never play all 3 so if he's saying that about us, he's gotta say it about almost every team in the NFL.

Indy dominated a joke of a division for 10 plus years and noone had a problem with it. The same for NE. Now all of a sudden b/c were taking advantage of it, its a problem.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012   #12
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 157572 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

No. The OL is bad. It's going to be exposed every time we play a very good team, which is to say, they probably won't make it through the playoffs. I guess there's the "time to gel" theory, but 6 games in, Caldwell looked as awful as I've ever seen in the early part, and they can't even decide which guys they want to play on the right side. The LG is not doing so great either.

Super Bowl teams keep their QB clean and run for more than 1.7ypc against playoff teams. The Texans just played their first playoff team last night.
Old 10-15-2012   #13
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13798 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
No. The OL is bad. It's going to be exposed every time we play a very good team, which is to say, they probably won't make it through the playoffs. I guess there's the "time to gel" theory, but 6 games in, Caldwell looked as awful as I've ever seen in the early part, and they can't even decide which guys they want to play on the right side. The LG is not doing so great either.

Super Bowl teams keep their QB clean and run for more than 1.7ypc against playoff teams. The Texans just played their first playoff team last night.
The thing is.

If the Playoffs were to start today the Jets would be a playoff team. The Dolphins have the same record and the Broncos would jump ahead of the Chargers with a win today.

So all this whole "The Texans have played no body." stuff is just that. Some stuff. The truth is the AFC is pretty weak and the Texans are playing in a weak conference, you have 3 teams the Patriots (who lost again), Ravens, and Texans and everyone chasing those teams.

I do think they are capable of going to the superbowl only because outside of those two teams I think they win against the rest of the AFC. Those two teams are very beatable.

The NFC on the other hand is the stronger conference.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #14
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
We got this.

When we win the Super Bowl & the rest of us are saying I never doubted, remember some of you doubted.

In 2001, the Patriots lost 5 games & probably had no idea what was coming.
I doubted. I doubt.

I won't say I Wasn't a doubter. I'll just say I'm shocked and pleasantly surprised.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #15
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 67619 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

There is still time to get the defense back on track, but the last 4 weeks have been brutal. They can't win a playoff game, much less a super bowl with the way they've been playing.

Giving Foster his big payday and dumping Winston is looking worse every day. The O-line just looks bad at times and gets manhandled way too often. It affects everything else we want to do on offense.

I'm not going to jump off a cliff over a stinker, but this team has some problems right now.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
There is still time to get the defense back on track, but the last 4 weeks have been brutal. They can't win a playoff game, much less a super bowl with the way they've been playing.
I'd like to think so, but I'm not seeing it. If we're going to keep throwing the same guys out there, we're not going to get any pass rush. Barwin..... it ain't happening. They don't feel like Braman is going to help.

I wish there was an elite pass-rusher out there looking for a job, but somehow I doubt it.
Old 12-11-2012   #17
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 157572 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I don't think a lot of you know what a bandwagon is. Those of us that have been around since the beginning and have invested both emotionally and monetarily have the right to *****. Identifying problems and bitching about them is what fans of teams do when they aren't happy. And how do you make fans happy so that they don't *****? You win. You win the games that matter. When you suck, you can get away with just winning. When you're supposed to be the best team in the AFC, then you win the games against the other best teams. It's really not that complicated.

When your team loses a meaningful game and you just sort of shrug it off, then you probably aren't emotionally invested enough to be on any bandwagon to begin with. If you criticize the fans that are passionate enough to demand perfection and ***** when they don't get it, then you just don't know WTF you're talking about. But at least maybe you care.

Don't question people's fandom. It's disrespectful for one, and even more, it just makes you look like an imbecile.

This isn't directed at anyone in particular; it just always comes up after a big loss when the really passionate fans start sniping each other. In case you hadn't noticed, take a look at some join dates on this board and think back to those teams. Then consider that most of those old timers came over from the board migration, so in actuality have been a part of this FAN community from the start.
Old 12-11-2012   #18
houstonhurricane
All Pro

Rep Power: 937 houstonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respected

Eh, there are realistically only 3 contenders in the AFC - Texans, Broncos and Pats. We have beaten one of them and got crushed by the other. Not a bad place to be.

Furthermore, unless we implode, we are going to have a bye - meaning we will only be two tough wins from a Super Bowl (still likely both games would be at Reliant).

Clearly we are not a very good team right now but we have time to pull things together...and I think we will do just that.
Old 12-11-2012   #19
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18100 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
When your team loses a meaningful game and you just sort of shrug it off, then you probably aren't emotionally invested enough to be on any bandwagon to begin with. If you criticize the fans that are passionate enough to demand perfection and ***** when they don't get it, then you just don't know WTF you're talking about. But at least maybe you care.
Was this game really all that meaningful? We are still the #1 seed.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #20
digitalswim
Sleepwalker

Rep Power: 1590 digitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respected

When I was scanning the forum topics, I thought the title of this thread read "Do we have a SUGAR BOWL team or not?" We definitely have a Sugar Bowl team. Super bowl...not so much.
digitalswim is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read