Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-20-2012   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 267323 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Are we already missing Joel Dreesen?

The SF game has me wondering if Graham is not affecting our running game. Dreesen not only had darn good hands, he had strong blocking skills. Graham may be showing flashes of good hands, but his run blocking skills thus far have given me basis for high anxiety.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012   #2
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Are we already missing Joel Dreesen?

Yes!

I think this is our biggest single loss. Dreessen can block & catch, was big in the run game. It opens up the opportunity for Kubiak to add packages for a playmaker like KeyMart, but I think our offense misses Dreessen.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012   #3
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
The SF game has me wondering if Graham is not affecting our running game. Dreesen not only had darn good hands, he had strong blocking skills. Graham may be showing flashes of good hands, but his run blocking skills thus far have given me basis for high anxiety.
I would look at a TE in the 1st round if he's worth it . We have H Back type guys who are 6'3 . I want a 6'6 guy around the goal .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012   #4
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, the Broncos gave him 3 years 8.5 million. Unfortunately, I don't think we had the cap space to match that.
Old 08-20-2012   #5
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Graham needs experience. Dreeson wasn't the "Dreeson" we're missing today for his first few years. He gradually became the player we're missing. Graham isn't going to become a viable replacement in just a few preseason games after sitting on the bench for most of his career. It's gonna take time.
Old 08-20-2012   #6
rush2112mn
All Pro

Rep Power: 972 rush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respected
Lightbulb Re: Are we already missing Joel Dreesen?

I think James Casey can take his place myself....the guy is going to be good.....remember his catch last year vs New Orleans?

Sure I am going to miss Joel Dressen....but you can not keep everyone every single year some players are going to leave. Look at a team like the Steelers or Patriots...they lose players...but the next man steps up.....

Get used to it....if you have not already.....we will keep losing players every year.....thats the NFL.....
rush2112mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012   #7
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 195710 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I am willing to say this team will keep getting better and better. I think Kubes and Wade will correct weaknesses as season progresses.
Old 08-21-2012   #8
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 38175 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I would look at a TE in the 1st round if he's worth it . We have H Back type guys who are 6'3 . I want a 6'6 guy around the goal .
I'd be willing to bet that they thought about Fleener at 26 in the draft, but Mercilus had fallen into their laps.

I could see a TE being taken by the Texans in the 1st 2 days of the draft in '13. But that's only if Casey's not the guy we (and the staff) thought he was/going to be.
Old 08-21-2012   #9
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I liked the athletic play that Casey made to get a first down for us.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012   #10
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 110481 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we miss Dreesen, dude could block and make clutch catches. I would like to see the Texans go after a TE early in the draft next year.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012   #11
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post
I think we miss Dreesen, dude could block and make clutch catches. I would like to see the Texans go after a TE early in the draft next year.
Maybe look in a lower round for a good FB, and move Casey to TE full time.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012   #12
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

If Pee Man stays healthy, I think Dreesen is going to put up Dallas Clark numbers.
Old 08-22-2012   #13
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 57418 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuttoKarl View Post
If Pee Man stays healthy, I think Dreesen is going to put up Dallas Clark numbers.
Indeed, I definitely can see a 50 catch season from Dreesen with the way Manning orchestrates his offense.
Old 08-21-2012   #14
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 91809 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShark316 View Post
I'd be willing to bet that they thought about Fleener at 26 in the draft, but Mercilus had fallen into their laps.

I could see a TE being taken by the Texans in the 1st 2 days of the draft in '13. But that's only if Casey's not the guy we (and the staff) thought he was/going to be.
I know Kubiak loves his TE's but I think unless you have Vernon Davis sitting there Kubiak is probably not pulling the trigger on a 1st round TE. That's a position that gets drafted in the 4th round or later and we find a "gem". I think Duane Brown is the only offensive player we've taken in the 1st round during the Kubiak regime, and that's probably not about to change unless there is some sort of physical freak available.
Old 08-22-2012   #15
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I know Kubiak loves his TE's but I think unless you have Vernon Davis sitting there Kubiak is probably not pulling the trigger on a 1st round TE. That's a position that gets drafted in the 4th round or later and we find a "gem". I think Duane Brown is the only offensive player we've taken in the 1st round during the Kubiak regime, and that's probably not about to change unless there is some sort of physical freak available.
Watch some Notre Dame football this upcoming season.

Tyler Eifert, about 6'5-6'6, some 250 lbs.
A combination of size, speed, leaping ability, good hands, and toughness.

This guy probably goes in the first or second round.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Old thread, dug it up searching our board for Tyler Eifert. What do y'all think about possibly drafting him in the first?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Watch some Notre Dame football this upcoming season.

Tyler Eifert, about 6'5-6'6, some 250 lbs.
A combination of size, speed, leaping ability, good hands, and toughness.

This guy probably goes in the first or second round.
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Now that we've got a competent defense & DC, I think we may see an offensive pick in the 1st round.

Not that we'll definitely pick on an offensive player, but I would think the value of offensive players has caught up to the value of defensive players. Remember, until recently we'd field a top 10 offense & a last place defense.
Old 02-08-2013   #17
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 27679 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Old thread, dug it up searching our board for Tyler Eifert. What do y'all think about possibly drafting him in the first?

Now that we've got a competent defense & DC, I think we may see an offensive pick in the 1st round.

Not that we'll definitely pick on an offensive player, but I would think the value of offensive players has caught up to the value of defensive players. Remember, until recently we'd field a top 10 offense & a last place defense.

Do you think Owen Daniels may be a cap casualty? All i do know is our offense has to be retooled. I love AJ as much as anyone but it irritates me when he's the only one making plays for us. Seems like he was the only one who showed up a good portion of the season. If Eifert could be that guy to alleviate the pressure from AJ I'd be all for it.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013   #18
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

Check this interview with McNair after he came back from the Super Bowl. At about the 6:30 - 7 minute mark McNair talks about the draft. First thing out of his mouth is "do we need more defense" to stop the dink & dunk offenses of N. E. and others.

He said "we're in good shape at RB" [okay Bob, I'll give you that one] and we're in good shape at QB [depends on which fan you ask, Bob], and we're in good shape at TE..." ummm.... look closer Bob.

He did say we need more speed at WR.... I guess that's something. Doesn't sound like he's gonna make that a rd 1-3 pick though.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012   #19
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 57418 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
As much as I LOVED Joel Dreesen, I think it had more to do with the level of competition we were facing (SF is insanely good against the run) with a group of linemen who have only been playing together a few weeks. Another preseason game (I know there are two) and Miami will help tune that up.

He is a much better TE than people give him credit for, I'm going to get flamed but I think I'd rather him over OD given the choice.
Old 08-20-2012   #20
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd have liked to have kept Dreesen , sad fact is the cap space just wasnt there to do it.

I thinkthey may sign a blocking TE as some become available as they are cut elsewhere. Brock just hasnt earned his spot on the 53.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read