Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-21-2004   #1
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP
Default How Do You Feel - Wand at LT and Pitts at LG?

I personally am not thrilled at the idea of basically starting from scratch again at the tackle spot.

I would have given Pitts another year at tackle. But I know that I've been in the minority for a long time on that one. Everyone has been talking about moving him to guard since before his first start.

What is your preference?
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004   #2
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

I am in that same thought about starting over at LT, I dont want to sacrifice Carr's life. But from what I have read and heard is that Wand has worked in the weight room and has really increased his strength. I also think that Pitts has the chance to be a good LT, but a dominate LG. But the difference is that if Wand does falter we have Pitts to fall back on.

Pitts did an admirable job last year. Holding Jason Taylor to goose eggs isnt very easy.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004   #3
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Texan fans should be thrilled, seems Wand is way ahead of schedule & Pitts continues to improve plus moving him to his natural position, with the addition of Wade to the right tackle the offensive line will be much improved. The only thing to fear is injury, hopefully we'll have better luck in this area.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004   #4
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I feel great about it and I am one of Pitts biggest supporters. He is a dominating run blocker and will make a dynamite Guard. Pitts was always alone at LT. He had journeymen Guards beside him and no help since we always needed to help our RT. This year Wand will have a solid NFL player beside him in Pitts and we don't need to help Wade at RT. This is not even close to the same scenario as Pitts had his first year. Wand will get the help Pitts couldn't and he is built more like a LT and can use his long legs and long arms to leverage edge/speed rushers easier than the stockier, shorter Pitts.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004   #5
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

Remember that this move is not final. Changes that occur in the spring don't always hold up after a few weeks of training camp. The promotion of Wand to starting left tackle and the move of Pitts to left guard could be looked at several different ways:
1. The coaches think this is the best lineup.
2. The coaches are rewarding Wand for hard work and improvement.
3. The coaches are trying to light a fire under Milford Brown.

Remember that a lot of lineup changes before the summer are meant as motivational tools. This could just be the coaching staff's way of motivating somebody into doing something. It could be that the staff wants to see how Wand will hold up during exhibition games. If Pitts needs to return to left tackle, he could easily make the adjustment after a couple of preseason games.

I personally think that the coaching staff is making this move because of a combination of all three motives I mentioned above. They see Wand as being the left tackle of the future and would like to see how he would work out, and to see how Pitts would be as a guard. They also want to reward Wand for his hard work by showing confidence in him, and if they end up moving Pitts back to left tackle they will make it clear to Wand that he is the left tackle of the future, just not the present. Also, they want to light a fire under Brown/Weary/Washington to compete for the left guard spot and show that the position isn't a weakness that needs to be addressed by moving Pitts.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004   #6
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Wand is massive and has good footwork and technique, it all came down to him getting stronger and extending his long arms. He has gotten stronger and hopefuly the coaching staff has gotten him to extend his arms, if so, he could be at least an above average LT this year and could become a very good LT by 2005. Also by moveing Pitts to LG we are able to place him back in his natural position , where I think he has chances to be a Pro-Bowl caliber player, it improves the line in so many ways.
Old 07-12-2004   #7
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

USATODAY story on current status of Texans' OL
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...exans/home.htm
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-12-2004   #8
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6844 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

From the USA today article,

"Medical Watch: None"

Why no mention of Seth Payne?
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004   #9
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

I'm happy with the move. I feel all our other O-line spots are as strong as they have ever been in the first 2 years. our depth is good. having 1 question mark at O-line isn't that bad. and that this point its just that a question mark, everyone else is proven talent.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004   #10
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 259612 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquescas
I'm happy with the move. I feel all our other O-line spots are as strong as they have ever been in the first 2 years. our depth is good. having 1 question mark at O-line isn't that bad. and that this point its just that a question mark, everyone else is proven talent.
Yeah, having only one question mark feels like a good thing after the past two seasons. It's like a luxury or something.
Old 07-12-2004   #11
pv1999
Veteran

The new blocking scheme is so simple that Dexter Manley could understand it. Premier Oline players have Good Vision and Good Feet, I don't think it will be too much of a problem for our guys because they both move really well and they will get to see more as the season goes on.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read