Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-02-2012   #1
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default USA Today: Kevin Walter is not a second-rate No. 2 receiver

Texans: Kevin Walter is not a second-rate No. 2 receiver

He turns 31 soon, which isn't old. But Kevin Walter is wise, his 10 seasons in the NFL not at all a fluke.

Then again, it might be a surprise to learn he has spent the past six seasons with the Houston Texans, serving as their de facto best wide receiver not named Andre Johnson. And it might be unsettling to discover he's likely been the most reliable Texan of recent recall — since 2007, Walter has played in 77 of 80 regular-season games, starting 75.

And yet he hears the chatter about how Houston should upgrade at the No. 2 wide receiver, which is his role. The noise is usually loudest this time of the year, around training camp, and Walter shakes his head and laughs.

"People can say whatever," he said Wednesday. "I don't care what people think."

That's because he knows how his teammates and coaches feel about him.

"If you ask anyone in our locker room who's the most underrated player, the most important player or the unsung hero of our team, it's Kevin," Texans quarterback Matt Schaub said. "Every time, hands down. No question..."

read more: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...ers/56671564/1
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012   #2
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: USA Today: Kevin Walter is not a second-rate No. 2 receiver

Kevin seems like a great guy, hard worker, and an awesome teammate. Its not his fault that the organization has placed him in this No. 2 receiver role for so long. He does some very good things in this offense for us though, and I love having him on the team. His weaknesses are just exposed sometimes especially when Andre is out. In this league you have to be able to beat man coverage at times, and he just doesn't have that ability to do that consistently right now. However he's savvy enough to find open seams in zone.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012   #3
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398918 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I've always liked Walter, but stopped defending him in the forum years ago because I perceived a majority bias against him. I just let the coaching staff's decisions speak for themselves, which has been quite clear in their confidence in him as our no. 2 receiver for years.
Old 08-02-2012   #4
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Kevin Walter doesn't suck. That said his competition at the spot has been jacoby jones and now a bunch of rookies and udfa's.

If the texans had drafted or signed a legit wr kw likely would have been on the bench.

It can be said that they have not addressed the wr spot because of kw, but I just think we've adressed issues that were more pressing.

Kw would be an excellent 3rd or 4th wr. Personally I'd rather have another guy be the #2 that can actually play spot duty as the #1 in the very likely event Andre misses some time.

I guess my biggest problem with kw is andre's health if that makes any sense.

I love kw. I hope he has a big year because despite his drop in numbers he's not a bad wr. I just don't know if it's going to play out like that.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012   #5
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 311116 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

he runs good routes and has made some good catches for us. considering everything, I'm glad to have him. To unseat him, someone is going to have to be pretty good.

carear stats: and he hasn't had a fumble since 2006

http://www.nfl.com/player/kevinwalte...53/careerstats

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012   #6
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
he runs good routes and has made some good catches for us. considering everything, I'm glad to have him. To unseat him, someone is going to have to be pretty good.

carear stats: and he hasn't had a fumble since 2006

http://www.nfl.com/player/kevinwalte...53/careerstats
This^^^

He's not flashy or anything but he brings his lunch pail and goes to work. He took a salary cut for the team. And I'm sure some will say it was that or "hit the road" but do we KNOW that? Has anyone from the Smithiak camp come out and SAID that?

I totally agree with Thorn, someone will have to be pretty good to take away his job. Maybe in a couple of years one of the current crop of kids...
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012   #7
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Rep Power: 311116 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
This^^^

He's not flashy or anything but he brings his lunch pail and goes to work. He took a salary cut for the team. And I'm sure some will say it was that or "hit the road" but do we KNOW that? Has anyone from the Smithiak camp come out and SAID that?
I totally agree with Thorn, someone will have to be pretty good to take away his job. Maybe in a couple of years one of the current crop of kids...
Yeah, that's something I think is just an internet rumor thing.

Sponsored links
Old 08-02-2012   #8
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Kevin Walter is one of those guys that thrives with a true #1. I think what people are worried about with him is that he isn't the kind of receiver that can step into that #1 role when a guy like AJ goes down
Old 08-02-2012   #9
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Kevin Walter is one of those guys that thrives with a true #1. I think what people are worried about with him is that he isn't the kind of receiver that can step into that #1 role when a guy like AJ goes down
Walter doesn't have the speed to be a true #1 reciever, I don't think anyone would argue with that. What he is, is a workhorse #2 and is pretty good at it. We need someone to be coaching up to eventually replace AJ as the #1. Walter isn't that guy, but like you said, he's a darn good #2.

Old 08-02-2012   #10
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Walter doesn't have the speed to be a true #1 reciever, I don't think anyone would argue with that. What he is, is a workhorse #2 and is pretty good at it. We need someone to be coaching up to eventually replace AJ as the #1. Walter isn't that guy, but like you said, he's a darn good #2.
I would disagree that he's a darn good #2. He's an adequate #2 for what we do, but saying he's darn good is stretching it. He's in the bottom third as far as #2 receivers are concerned in terms of receiving ability. His intangibles make him valuable to the team though. I've said this plenty of times that I would love him as our #3 receiver, but as many have said we don't have a better option at the #2 spot at this point. I hope he proves me wrong and shows me that he can beat man coverage, but I just haven't seen it on a consistent basis these last 2 years.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012   #11
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79206 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Love Kevin Walter. One of, if not the most unsung players on our team every year.

Good blocking, good route runner, tough as hell, comes through when called upon. I seriously couldn't imagine not having him on this team. Personally, I think he's underutilized.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012   #12
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Kevin Walter doesn't suck. That said his competition at the spot has been jacoby jones and now a bunch of rookies and udfa's.

If the texans had drafted or signed a legit wr kw likely would have been on the bench.

It can be said that they have not addressed the wr spot because of kw, but I just think we've adressed issues that were more pressing.

Kw would be an excellent 3rd or 4th wr. Personally I'd rather have another guy be the #2 that can actually play spot duty as the #1 in the very likely event Andre misses some time.

I love kw. I hope he has a big year because despite his drop in numbers he's not a bad wr. I just don't know if it's going to play out like that.
Examples please...?
And I mean guys we had a shot to get...

I mean would you rather have drafted a KW replacement unit with one of our 1sts or keep who we drafted -- Mercilus, or Watt, or Cushing (yes, I purposely omitted K.Jackson)...

...or would you rather have to pay through the nose to sign some "name" vet. And I can't think of anyone we can afford or who wouldn't have put us much deeper in salary cap hell...

I guess my bottom line question is... who would you erase from the roster to get the KW replacement unit? And who would that guy be?
Old 08-02-2012   #13
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 189741 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Examples please...?

I mean would you rather have drafted a KW replacement unit with one of our 1sts or keep who we drafted -- Mercilus, or Watt, or Cushing (yes, I purposely omitted K.Jackson)...

...or would you rather have to pay through the nose to sign some "name" vet. And I can't think of anyone we can afford or who wouldn't have put us much deeper in salary cap hell...

I guess my bottom line question is... who would you erase from the roster to get the KW replacement unit? And who would that guy be?
I don't think you can make such a statement and then say whoopsies on KJ. Demaryius Thomas instead of Kareem. Also, Mohammed Sanu in 3rd round rather than Posey.
Old 08-02-2012   #14
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Examples please...?

I would've given up the draft picks used to pick Posey/Crick and next yrs 3rd to trade up and pick Stephen Hill.

Hill has unreal ability and for some reason I'm just not a believer in Posey. I hope I'm wrong on Posey. They need Posey to light it up this yr if AJ only plays 8-10 games.

BTW, Walter is a good WR3 and a great guy to have on the team.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012   #15
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30026 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx
Wink Re: USA Today: Kevin Walter is not a second-rate No. 2 receiver

Quote:
Examples please...?

A motivated randy moss would make this offense impossible to defend jordy nelson was a 2nd rd pick.
Old 08-02-2012   #16
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 189741 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Exactly. Walter is #2 but not a #2 if you know what I'm saying. If AJ and I are the only two receivers on a team, I am WR2.
Old 08-02-2012   #17
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's pretty much how I feel.

If Aj goes down you have to rely on bench players to pick up the receiving slack.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012   #18
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Quote:
That's pretty much how I feel.

If Aj goes down you have to rely on bench players to pick up the receiving slack.
The closest guy we had to an A.J. replacement was Andre Davis. He stepped up his game in '07 when A.J. went down. The next year he hardly saw the field because A.J. would never come out of a game.
Old 08-02-2012   #19
TexansFight
All Pro

Rep Power: 4153 TexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respected

DeVier Posey is going I light up for us and be the real number 2 IMO
TexansFight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012   #20
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFight View Post
DeVier Posey is going I light up for us and be the real number 2 IMO
I think it's more important for the Texans to be looking for a true #1 to replace AJ. But if someone is good enough to beat out Walter for his spot, then we'll be a better team for it.

Getting to attached to individual players will always get your emotions hurt in the end because they never last forever. I have already made that mistake with Foster, so I'm lucky they signed him to a long term deal.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read