Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2012   #1
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame
 
Wolf6151's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pearland, Texas
Posts: 3,296
Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Another terribly early 2013 Texans mock.

It's 4:30 am and I'm bored at work so I thought I'd throw together a quick mock since no one has done one in a while. This mock is based on keeping Schaub, Barwin, Brown and drafting in the late 20's.

1. Cobi Hamilton-WR from Arkansas, he's currently listed by Walter and CBS as a 2nd round prospect but he'll be a senior and has a very good QB prospect returning. He should be the #1 WR at Arkansas this year and have a big year, I think he moves up. Good size and average speed, lots of SEC experience.

2. Mycah Hyde-CB from Iowa, very good size for a CB in the NFL and good speed. Also good college productivity, and adds some quality depth to the team. You can never have enough good CB's.

3. Sylvester Williams-DT from N.C., this pick might take some luck but I like his size and mobility, good agility for a big man. He'd work in a rotation with Earl Mitchell at NT after Sean Cody leaves due to FA.

3b. Xavier Nixon-OT from Florida, he's a little light weight for the OT position but with his height and age he should be able to add some weight without losing quickness/agility. Butler may be gone after this next season and though the Texans seem high on Newton, Nixon would be the backup/swing OT and it would give him time to add the bulk.

4. Patrick Larimore-ILB from UCLA, quality depth behind Cushing, James, and Dobson or may take the other ILB rotational position away from James or Dobson and alot less expensive.

5. Prentiss Waggner-FS/CB from Tennessee, great size and speed for the position and I like a FS with CB coverage experience.

5b. Quinton Patton-WR from LA Tech, he might move higher with a good year so this pick might take some luck as well but he's currently listed by Walter and CBS in the 5th-7th rounds. Good size, speed, athleticism, ball concentration, field awarness, and doesn't seem afraid of contact.

6. A.J. Francis-DT from Maryland, I like his size and speed. Also has decent college productivity for a DT and Maryland produces some good athletes. Depth on the D-line and plays on jumbo packages, short yardage or goal line plays. Added bulk on the D-line is never a bad thing.

7. BPA, I'm thinking maybe a blocking TE, FB, maybe some depth at OG, RB or WR wouldn't hurt either.

Opinions?

P.S. 0430 hrs. sucks.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012   #2
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame
 
steelbtexan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Age: 51
Posts: 11,756
Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Another terribly early 2013 Texans mock.

I would be very happy with the Hamilton/Hyde picks. Hamilton has way above avg speed.

Dont know much about the other draft picks.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012   #3
rmartin65
I'm Score
 
rmartin65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Age: 24
Posts: 7,966
Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Another terribly early 2013 Texans mock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
It's 4:30 am and I'm bored at work so I thought I'd throw together a quick mock since no one has done one in a while. This mock is based on keeping Schaub, Barwin, Brown and drafting in the late 20's.

1. Cobi Hamilton-WR from Arkansas, he's currently listed by Walter and CBS as a 2nd round prospect but he'll be a senior and has a very good QB prospect returning. He should be the #1 WR at Arkansas this year and have a big year, I think he moves up. Good size and average speed, lots of SEC experience.

2. Mycah Hyde-CB from Iowa, very good size for a CB in the NFL and good speed. Also good college productivity, and adds some quality depth to the team. You can never have enough good CB's.

3. Sylvester Williams-DT from N.C., this pick might take some luck but I like his size and mobility, good agility for a big man. He'd work in a rotation with Earl Mitchell at NT after Sean Cody leaves due to FA.

3b. Xavier Nixon-OT from Florida, he's a little light weight for the OT position but with his height and age he should be able to add some weight without losing quickness/agility. Butler may be gone after this next season and though the Texans seem high on Newton, Nixon would be the backup/swing OT and it would give him time to add the bulk.

4. Patrick Larimore-ILB from UCLA, quality depth behind Cushing, James, and Dobson or may take the other ILB rotational position away from James or Dobson and alot less expensive.

5. Prentiss Waggner-FS/CB from Tennessee, great size and speed for the position and I like a FS with CB coverage experience.

5b. Quinton Patton-WR from LA Tech, he might move higher with a good year so this pick might take some luck as well but he's currently listed by Walter and CBS in the 5th-7th rounds. Good size, speed, athleticism, ball concentration, field awarness, and doesn't seem afraid of contact.

6. A.J. Francis-DT from Maryland, I like his size and speed. Also has decent college productivity for a DT and Maryland produces some good athletes. Depth on the D-line and plays on jumbo packages, short yardage or goal line plays. Added bulk on the D-line is never a bad thing.

7. BPA, I'm thinking maybe a blocking TE, FB, maybe some depth at OG, RB or WR wouldn't hurt either.

Opinions?

P.S. 0430 hrs. sucks.
I missed this thread 3 weeks ago, my bad man.

1) Hamilton- I dont know a ton about the guy, when I watched Arkansas last year he never stood out to me. But just looking at size and athleticism, he is a player worth keeping an eye on. However, I feel that you are reaching for a position of need, rather than grabbing a better player at a different position, and then looking to fill the WR hole in the 2nd or 3rd.

2) I love Hyde, one of the better DBs in the draft. If it turns out he is too slow for CB, he should be able to play FS in the NFL. Also, the guy loves ST. Love this pick.

3) Big NT prospect, you know I love the idea. He is definitely one to watch for next year, and 3rd round seems about right. As you said, he is a gamble, but worth the risk here.

3b) I really think an OT is going to be drafted. I did some research on this guy after you dropped his name in another thread, and I was impressed.

4) Larimore retired, as mentioned in a different thread. Bummer, because I also thought he would make a heck of a pro, as did beerlover.

5) Waggner- I know nothing about the guy. I think you may be grabbing too many DBs, as the position looks pretty well filled on the Texans.

5b) With this many picks, it cant hurt to take a gamble on some raw small schoolers that could be home runs. Patton has caught my eye as well.

6) I like the other Maryland DT better (Vellano), but he is going to go in the 4th round (in that range). You cant ever have too much DLine depth, so rock on.

7) You have BPA here, but I am going to suggest looking for an OLB here. In the 3-4, like I have said, I see an OLB being drafted every year.

All in all, it is a good list of people to look into for the next year. Nice job.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012   #4
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame
 
Wolf6151's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pearland, Texas
Posts: 3,296
Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Another terribly early 2013 Texans mock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
I missed this thread 3 weeks ago, my bad man.

1) Hamilton- I dont know a ton about the guy, when I watched Arkansas last year he never stood out to me. But just looking at size and athleticism, he is a player worth keeping an eye on. However, I feel that you are reaching for a position of need, rather than grabbing a better player at a different position, and then looking to fill the WR hole in the 2nd or 3rd.

2) I love Hyde, one of the better DBs in the draft. If it turns out he is too slow for CB, he should be able to play FS in the NFL. Also, the guy loves ST. Love this pick.

3) Big NT prospect, you know I love the idea. He is definitely one to watch for next year, and 3rd round seems about right. As you said, he is a gamble, but worth the risk here.

3b) I really think an OT is going to be drafted. I did some research on this guy after you dropped his name in another thread, and I was impressed.

4) Larimore retired, as mentioned in a different thread. Bummer, because I also thought he would make a heck of a pro, as did beerlover.

5) Waggner- I know nothing about the guy. I think you may be grabbing too many DBs, as the position looks pretty well filled on the Texans.

5b) With this many picks, it cant hurt to take a gamble on some raw small schoolers that could be home runs. Patton has caught my eye as well.

6) I like the other Maryland DT better (Vellano), but he is going to go in the 4th round (in that range). You cant ever have too much DLine depth, so rock on.

7) You have BPA here, but I am going to suggest looking for an OLB here. In the 3-4, like I have said, I see an OLB being drafted every year.

All in all, it is a good list of people to look into for the next year. Nice job.

Thanks for the input...

1. Yes I might be reaching for position over taking BPA but I think our need at WR can't wait til the end of the 2nd or 3rd rounds when the top WR's will be gone by then. We've got good depth pretty much every where else on the team, it's time to take a top WR and develop them. I'm looking for a guy that can be a #2 quickly with potential to be a future #1. I think there's a better than average chance that this could be Walter's last year with the Texans and although I like Marten in the slot at #3 WR, I don't think Posey will ever be anything more than a #4 rotational guy and the same can be said for Jean. I think we need a big time improvement in quality and youth at WR, thus the reason for the Patton pick in the 5th as well. Hamilton is currently listed as a 2nd round pick but I think he's in a great position to move up to the 1st round. All the great WR talent ahead of him last year graduated Arkansas to the NFL so he'll be "The Man" at WR and he's got a top QB slinging him the ball in Tyler Wilson. He's poised for a climb in the rankings much more so than Terrance Williams who will have QB issues at Baylor now that RGIII is gone, and I'm not sure what the QB situation is like for Marquess Wilson at Wash. St.. I think Justin Hunter goes before us in the 1st but Da'Rick Rogers might be a possibility as well.

2. I'm glad you like Hyde as well but remember this mock was done several weeks ago before the emergence of our youthful secondary in TC and preseason game 1. If everyone does well this year CB could possibly be lowered in priority or taken off completely.

3. I think Shaun Cody and Antonio Smith both stand a good chance of being gone at the end of this season so an athletic big man is a must and Sylvester Williams would work in the rotation with Earl Mitchell at NT. Also the reason for the pick of A.J. Francis in the 6th, added depth of big men on the D-line.

3b. I agree an OT will be drafted and I think Nixon has great size and speed for the position. Butler could be gone after this season and Newton will need some competition at RT as well as a new backup swing OT. He'll need to add some bulk but he's got the height to carry it.

4. Larimore has retired and I wish him well. Just like #2 this was done prior to the emergence of our current ILB's and could possibly be lowered in priority or taken off completely due to the good play of James, Dobbins, Louiseau, and Alexander. I think we've got some decent depth here.

5. The secondary is looking good so far, Waggner would simply be competition with Nolan and Demps at FS. Maybe an improvement. I like a FS with CB experience and Waggner has great size for the position.

5b. See #1.

6. See #3.

7. I couldn't really think of another position to pick some depth for. I disagree with another OLB, I just don't see the need. Maybe a top notch FB like Zach Boren from Ohio St. or another WR. If we draft a bunch of WR someone's got to turn out to be useful.

Last edited by Wolf6151; 08-17-2012 at 06:32 AM.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #5
badboy
Site Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clear Lake
Posts: 22,761
Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Another terribly early 2013 Texans mock.

The recent two preseason games have me re-working my 2013 mock. I'm hoping to remove WR from my first round. Got to keep fluid.
__________________
I want to be able to recognize the difference between a "want" and a "need" and then I want to be satisfied with getting a need
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #6
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame
 
Wolf6151's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pearland, Texas
Posts: 3,296
Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Another terribly early 2013 Texans mock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
The recent two preseason games have me re-working my 2013 mock. I'm hoping to remove WR from my first round. Got to keep fluid.
Agree completely, have to stay fluid. I'm adjusting ILB, and CB on my list of needs. I'm still going with WR #1 though, I like what I see from Jean and Martin, but still want a big time WR to be a current #2 and future #1. I've seen other mocks that have us going OT in the 1st round, that might be necessary as well.

BB, I'd like to see a current mock from you.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #7
badboy
Site Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clear Lake
Posts: 22,761
Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Another terribly early 2013 Texans mock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Agree completely, have to stay fluid. I'm adjusting ILB, and CB on my list of needs. I'm still going with WR #1 though, I like what I see from Jean and Martin, but still want a big time WR to be a current #2 and future #1. I've seen other mocks that have us going OT in the 1st round, that might be necessary as well.

BB, I'd like to see a current mock from you.
I think Butler may be odd man out by 2013 if Newton is as good as Kubes seems to be saying. I'm still not all in on Caldwell who allegedly did well last 2 games. I am pretty serious about a RG who could play RT. I will be watching A&M's Jake Matthews (great in ZBS) and Alabama's Ricky Wagner who is more of a road grader type, very strong and who IIRC had problems only with a guy you might known named Whitney Mercilus. Barrett Jones should be gone but he excelled at OG before Alabama moved him to OT last season and he is penciled in to start at center. We should be able to get a good player in first if needed. I too am cautious about WR but Jean impressed me against SF and Kubes says he can be great.
__________________
I want to be able to recognize the difference between a "want" and a "need" and then I want to be satisfied with getting a need
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-25-2012   #8
Rey
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 14,475
Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I don't see ILB as that big of a need, remember it's only a 2 down position anyway since Cushing will stay in the game and the other ILB will come out on nickle or dime coverage. I also think that James is adequate yet unspectacular at the position, while Dobbins appears to me to be even better than James. There's also Alexander and Louiseau, who I think makes the practice squad as depth. That's 4 guys vying for 1 starting spot plus depth, and in case of emergency I think Braman could handle the ILB spot adequately if necessary. Thus I don't think we'd spend anything more than a 5th round pick here if that.
Agreed, except I could see us spending as high as a 3rd on an ilb and maybe higher just depending on who falls where.

Nothing wrong with having a guy that can step in if Cushing misses time and also be a stand out on special teams.

But like you said I don't think that would be a priority and more of a luxury.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger