Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 07-16-2012   #1
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default WRs who might be in the 2013 Draft

Let me go ahead and create a separate thread for this position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Let's start a list of players to watch in 2013. Make a list of players by position that you think will be great or that you think are currently underrated and by position as you think they will apply to Texans needs.
Example, I think WR will be a big need again regardless of what we did in this years draft and I think it will be a 1st or 2nd round pick. The guys I like at WR are:
WR:
Justin Hunter, DaRick Rogers, Cobi Hamilton, Marquess Wilson, and Ryan Swope, Terrance Williams but they both might have QB issues this year.

Let's see some of the guys you'll be keeping an eye on.
I'm gonna move my posts regarding the WRs over to this thread as well,
I think it will be easier to keep track of the players.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012   #2
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: WRs who might be in the 2013 Draft

I think Baylor has more than just Terrance Williams; the other two guys look pretty good, too. (Lanear Thompson and Tevin Reese - Reese is an underclassman and may stay in school unless he has a monster year.)

Mark your calendar for Elon's Aaron Mellette.
They have only 2 games on TV (UNC - ACC Network and another game on ESPN3). This guy looks pretty good on the videos I've found so far.
His production is outstanding. Will probably go in the first 3 rounds, maybe on day 1.

Clemson's Sam Watkins might come out early. Remember his name.

Watch W. Virginia for the QB Geno Smith, but also for their 2 WRs Bailey and Austin; they are small but they are both playmakers.
It will be interesting to see how they do in the Big 12 this year.

There are a few more that I want to keep an eye on but I don't have enough info on them yet.
Old 07-16-2012   #3
76Texan
Hall of Fame

When you watch USC next year for Barkley, the QB, you will have to watch his receivers.
Robert Woods will be a Jr, and he might come out early as a good route runner and an overall guy who gets the job done.

But you will also have to look at Marqise Lee, who will be a Sophomore.
This guy alreay made a lot of big plays as a Freshman. If he continues his growth, there's a good chance that he'll declare.

Depending on how some of the younger guys perform, the next receiver draft might rival this last one in term of depth or in term of relative quality.
Old 07-16-2012   #4
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Then there's Keenan Allen (California) who appeared to be better than Marvin Jones (Bengals 5th round pick).
Some scouting sites had him in the first round, others in the second.

And the other guy besides Nick Toon whom Wilson threw the ball to:
Jared Abbrederis. He actually had a better ypc than Toon.
He caught my attention while I was scouting Nick Toon.
I saw 2nd and 3rd round grade on him from various sites.
Old 07-16-2012   #5
76Texan
Hall of Fame

A little-known prospect is a receiver from Marshall: Aaron Dobson.

There was very little game tape on Marshall football as we know it.

Here's some tidbids I've learned about Dobson:

6'2 - 205
4.49 speed per NFL Draftscout.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2013&genpos=WR

Production:

2011: 49 catches - 668 yards - 12 TDs
He was playing with a Freshman QB

2010:
44 catches - 689 yards - 5 TDs
He led the teams in these categories as a Sophmore

2009:
15 - 362 - 4 as a Freshman
(24.13 ypc)

July 9, 2012
HUNTINGTON, W.Va.-Marshall's Aaron Dobson has been selected to the 2012 College Football Performance Awards (CFPA) Wide Receiver Watch List.

http://www.herdzone.com/sports/m-foo...070912aaf.html

Catch vs S. Miss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jeMfvA9pZU

TD vs Miami Ohio on a post route vs Cover 1/3

http://espn.go.com/ncf/video?gameId=312600195

Aaron Dobson 29 Yd Pass From Rakeem Cato vs Vtech

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN9dbKjREZEAaron

The catch vs ECU:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCdFF...57890311C08D3C

vs FIU Beef O Brady Bowl
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AhUAgSqy-U

2011 Highlights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spj4V...eature=related
Old 07-16-2012   #6
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

What do you think of Quinton Patton-WR from Louisiana Tech? He seems to have good size and very good productivity last season.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013   #7
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
A little-known prospect is a receiver from Marshall: Aaron Dobson.

There was very little game tape on Marshall football as we know it.

Here's some tidbids I've learned about Dobson:

6'2 - 205
4.49 speed per NFL Draftscout.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2013&genpos=WR

Production:

2011: 49 catches - 668 yards - 12 TDs
He was playing with a Freshman QB

2010:
44 catches - 689 yards - 5 TDs
He led the teams in these categories as a Sophmore

2009:
15 - 362 - 4 as a Freshman
(24.13 ypc)

July 9, 2012
HUNTINGTON, W.Va.-Marshall's Aaron Dobson has been selected to the 2012 College Football Performance Awards (CFPA) Wide Receiver Watch List.

http://www.herdzone.com/sports/m-foo...070912aaf.html

Catch vs S. Miss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jeMfvA9pZU

TD vs Miami Ohio on a post route vs Cover 1/3

http://espn.go.com/ncf/video?gameId=312600195

Aaron Dobson 29 Yd Pass From Rakeem Cato vs Vtech

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN9dbKjREZEAaron

The catch vs ECU:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCdFF...57890311C08D3C

vs FIU Beef O Brady Bowl
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AhUAgSqy-U

2011 Highlights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spj4V...eature=related
Bumped from 7/16/12

Dobson has been on the radar for the longest time; he ain't no sleeper.
Sponsored links
Old 03-09-2013   #8
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 248016 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Mark your calendar for Elon's Aaron Mellette.
They have only 2 games on TV (UNC - ACC Network and another game on ESPN3). This guy looks pretty good on the videos I've found so far.
His production is outstanding. Will probably go in the first 3 rounds, maybe on day 1...
Greg Cosell is with you on Mellette. All I saw was NC & wasn't impressive & '11 AS where he dominated a small CB. Bad drops in both.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013   #9
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Greg Cosell is with you on Mellette. All I saw was NC & wasn't impressive & '11 AS where he dominated a small CB. Bad drops in both.
I didn't get to watch the UNC game, just the short clip on YouTube.
Melette is pretty raw in his route running and he seems to be a bit stiff in the hips (as his 20 SS time indicates).
That might be part of the reasons he doesn't run the short routes very clean.
From what I read and saw during the Senior Bowl week, things seem to point that way.

But overall, his reviews from the Senior Bowl and the combine are quite positive.

I have to rewatch the AS game to see who covered him, but I thought AS has a tall CB that has a draftble grade.
Also, he did well against Casey Heyward (from Vandy) who was drafted in the second round and became a starter for the Packers.

With the depth of this draft, I might have to drop him to the fourth round.
There are other receivers who improved their games more than I thought they would when the season first started.
Old 03-12-2013   #10
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Has anyone checked out Josh-Boyce?
Old 03-13-2013   #11
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Has anyone checked out Josh-Boyce?
I think he needs some kind of surgery on his toe.

Until we know about the results, I would rather not mess with him.

He looks pretty good, but we already have KMart.

I don't want another shorty unless he's really talented like Austin or Bailey.
Old 07-24-2012   #12
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Next up is Marcus Davis, VTech.

6'4 - 228

40 time: 4.44 ave.;
as low as 4.37 (timed at VTech in 2010)
44" vertical (posted at VTech in 2010)

Production:

30 catches, 510 yards (17 ypc), 5 TDs as a Jr last year.

Had a reception for four yards at Marshall before suffering a foot injury (a sprain that forced him to leave the game) ... Saw action for six plays against Clemson before re-aggravating foot injury from previous week .

The real catch: He was recruited as a QB.
Old 07-24-2012   #13
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Next up is Marcus Davis, VTech.

6'4 - 228

40 time: 4.44 ave.;
as low as 4.37 (timed at VTech in 2010)
44" vertical (posted at VTech in 2010)

Production:

30 catches, 510 yards (17 ypc), 5 TDs as a Jr last year.

Had a reception for four yards at Marshall before suffering a foot injury (a sprain that forced him to leave the game) ... Saw action for six plays against Clemson before re-aggravating foot injury from previous week .

The real catch: He was recruited as a QB.

He's not ranked by Walterfootball and CBS has him as an UDFA, so naturally the Texans will be looking at him in the 3rd round.
Old 07-24-2012   #14
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He's not ranked by Walterfootball and CBS has him as an UDFA, so naturally the Texans will be looking at him in the 3rd round.
Very funny stuff.

Repped
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012   #15
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
He's not ranked by Walterfootball and CBS has him as an UDFA.
At the moment he should be an UDFA (just as Josh Gordon).

Even though he's a bit more raw than Gordon, he has better measurables and potential, and no red flag (I think).

He has already caught some eyes (not that I necessarily agree with them).

From the Baylor Bears MB:
Mel Kiper recently unveiled his top 5 returning senior players per position and our very own Terrance Williams came in as the #1 receiver:
1. Terrance Williams
2. Denard Robinson
3. Tavon Austin
4. Cobi Hamilton
5. Marcus Davis

If you're an ESPN insider's subscriber (which I'm not), you can get the scoop here:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story...leven%3dtwelve

Chad Reuter (NFL Network) has him at #8 in his list of the top draft-eligible college players for next year.

8. Marcus Davis, 6-4, 228, Virginia Tech
This former quarterback has an elite combination of size and speed, but has only flashed those skills so far with the Hokies (30 catches, 510 yards, five touchdowns in 2011). Successfully stepping into a starring role with the Hokies in 2012, with the help of junior quarterback Logan Thomas, should shoot Davis up draft boards in a hurry.
NFL comparison: Marques Colston

Walter Football Camp Foundation named him on their watch list for the Biletnikoff Award (Presented to the nation's most outstanding receiver).
Old 07-25-2012   #16
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

I like Terrance Williams but can't help but think his production and draft standing will fall a little due to RGIII and Wright being in the NFL now and a new QB taking over. Maybe we get lucky and can get him in the 2nd round.

Marcus Davis has just the opposite issue, low ranked guy with a very good QB that should help his production level and draft standing. Now in his senior year, with more experience, his production should go up.

The 2013 draft looks to have some good talent in the 1st and 2nd rounds but the talent level seems to drop off after that, not near the depth as this years draft class had. Hopefully some other guys can move up and make this a better draft class.

76Texan, what do you know about Jared Abbrederis-WR from Wisconsin. According to Walter he's got good size, great speed, and very good production last year. He lost his QB and opposite side WR to the NFL as well so his production may drop off but he could be one to keep an eye on.
Old 07-25-2012   #17
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

This question wasn't directed to me,

But I watched Abbrederis last yr and he looked like Wilsons favorite WR to me.

He appeared to have great speed and really good hands. He also wasn't a one trick pony. While he may not be able to run a full route tree now. He knows how to run fly/outs,curls/short slants.

If my memory serves me correctly.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012   #18
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
he is now. He is ranked 16th
Old 12-22-2012   #19
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
he is now. He is ranked 16th
Yeah, I'm ahead of them.

Walter projects Marcus Davis betwee round 2 and 4 now.

I currently have him as value in the third round due to the "potential" upside.

All the receivers I had in this thread are doing at least as well as expected.
Old 01-22-2013   #20
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 248016 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

If Dolphins want a receiver in the draft, there isn’t a clear-cut favorite
Quote:
Unfortunately for the Dolphins, most draft experts agree that this year’s receiver crop is short on elite talent. The draft will feature several solid mid-round players — including many who are showcasing their talents here at the Senior Bowl this week — but no instant stars like a Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald or Julio Jones.

“There are two problems with this receiver draft — there’s no dominant receiver, and it’s a problem of size,” said Sports Illustrated draft expert Tony Pauline. “Last year, four of the top five guys were all at least 6-3 and 210 pounds. But there’s not a lot of size in this receiver group. You’re basically looking at a bunch of No. 2 or 3 type guys.”
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read