Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 06-04-2012   #1
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18476 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Prospects to watch in 2013 as they apply to Texans needs.

Let's start a list of players to watch in 2013. Make a list of players by position that you think will be great or that you think are currently underrated and by position as you think they will apply to Texans needs.
Example, I think WR will be a big need again regardless of what we did in this years draft and I think it will be a 1st or 2nd round pick. The guys I like at WR are:
WR:
Justin Hunter, DaRick Rogers, Cobi Hamilton, Marquess Wilson, and Ryan Swope, Terrance Williams but they both might have QB issues this year.

OT:
I think OT might be a need but not early, probably 4th or later for a new swing OT. The guys I'm looking at are.
Xavier Nixon, Tanner Hawkinson, David Yankey, and maybe Seantrel Henderson but that guys huge and will have to lose some weight.

ILB:
I think we'll look at ILB in the 3-5 rounds, guys I like.
Kevin Reddick, James Morris, Bruce Taylor, Nico Johnson, Patrick Larimore, and Andrew Jackson.

Let's see some of the guys you'll be keeping an eye on.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012   #2
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Prospects to watch in 2013 as they apply to Texans needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Let's start a list of players to watch in 2013. Make a list of players by position that you think will be great or that you think are currently underrated and by position as you think they will apply to Texans needs.
Example, I think WR will be a big need again regardless of what we did in this years draft and I think it will be a 1st or 2nd round pick. The guys I like at WR are:
WR:
Justin Hunter, DaRick Rogers, Cobi Hamilton, Marquess Wilson, and Ryan Swope, Terrance Williams but they both might have QB issues this year.

OT:
I think OT might be a need but not early, probably 4th or later for a new swing OT. The guys I'm looking at are.
Xavier Nixon, Tanner Hawkinson, David Yankey, and maybe Seantrel Henderson but that guys huge and will have to lose some weight.

ILB:
I think we'll look at ILB in the 3-5 rounds, guys I like.
Kevin Reddick, James Morris, Bruce Taylor, Nico Johnson, Patrick Larimore, and Andrew Jackson.

Sounds like an excellent idea

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012   #3
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

My 2013 mock has several players from different posters.
Old 06-05-2012   #4
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 58086 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Cobi Hamilton, wr Arkansas
Zach Ertz, te Stanford
Barrett Jones,ol Alabama
Baker Steinkuhler,dt Nebraska
Manti Te'o,ilb Notre Dame
CJ Mosley, ilb Alabama
Chris Borland,ilb Wisconsin
Robert Lester,s Alabama
Zac Dysert QB Miami (Ohio) rSr 6-3 214

I will watch as many arkansas games this year as I can. Lots of talent on that team. Fell in love with Dysert last year. He is my favorite sleeper in this upcoming draft.
Old 06-06-2012   #5
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Zach Ertz, te Stanford
Barrett Jones,ol Alabama
CJ Mosley, ilb Alabama
Robert Lester,s Alabama

I will watch as many arkansas games this year as I can. Lots of talent on that team. Fell in love with Dysert last year. He is my favorite sleeper in this upcoming draft.
I really like Barrett Jones as he is getting experience at all OL positions. As you know he is suppose to move to center this season. I think he can become better at OT & OG with experience and NFL coaching.
Old 06-06-2012   #6
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 58086 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I really like Barrett Jones as he is getting experience at all OL positions. As you know he is suppose to move to center this season. I think he can become better at OT & OG with experience and NFL coaching.
He has played all over the line and is the leader of that group. High character and high football IQ. The biggest problem with him is his ability to stay healthy. Haven't read anything on him since late in the season last year, but if I remember right his knees were wore out. So it's depends on his medical more than anything else.
Old 06-06-2012   #7
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
He has played all over the line and is the leader of that group. High character and high football IQ. The biggest problem with him is his ability to stay healthy. Haven't read anything on him since late in the season last year, but if I remember right his knees were wore out. So it's depends on his medical more than anything else.
He had a knee injury 2010 but ankle lastr season. I can find nothing saying he is not 100%. "I just landed on the side of my leg, and you've got these knee braces on, so a lot of times the reason you see a lot of ankle injuries on lineman is because when you get hit on the side of the leg, your knee is not going to buckle because you have that knee brace on. If you think about it, the pressure's got to go somewhere. It goes to your ankle. The ankle just kind of popped."

Full article: http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2...s_can_blo.html
Old 06-06-2012   #8
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18476 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Zach Ertz, te Stanford
Barrett Jones,ol Alabama
CJ Mosley, ilb Alabama
Robert Lester,s Alabama

Nice find on Zach Ertz-TE from Stanford, but he's listed as an underclassman by Walter. With what sounds like good potential do you think he'll go pro early in 2013? I'm thinking he stays in school at least one more year and goes high in the draft in 2014. The current list of draft eligible TE's doesn't look good for 2013.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012   #9
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 53272 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quarterback

Currently on the roster- Matt Schaub, TJ Yates, John Beck, Case Keenum
Roster Outlook- 3 make the roster, Schaub, Yates, and one of Beck/Keenum. At the risk of being crucified by the board, I think Beck makes it.
2013 Outlook- Provided Schaub is healthy, I think a QB gets drafted in the late rounds, possibly a guy with plus athleticism that can add a wrinkle to the offense. However, if Schaub is more seriously injured, I can see a QB going in the first couple rounds.

Over the past 5 years, approximately 12 QBs have been drafted per year. Here are my top 15 draft-eligible QBs.
* denotes the player is an underclassman

1) Landry Jones, Oklahoma, 64 230 lbs
2) Tyler Wilson, Arkansas, 63 220 lbs
3) *Tyler Bray, Tennessee, 65 210 lbs
4) Matt Barkley, USC, 61 220 lbs
5) *Aaron Murray, Georgia, 61 212 lbs
6) *Logan Thomas, Virginia Tech, 65 255 lbs
7) Sean Renfree, Duke, 64 225 lbs
8) Jeff Tuel, Washington State, 63 225 lbs
9) EJ Manuel, Florida State, 64 245 lbs
10) Mike Glennon, NC State, 64 225 lbs
11) Brad Sorenson, Southern Utah, 64 225 lbs
12) *Zach Mettenberger, LSU, 65 225 lbs
13) Geno Smith, West Virginia, 63 215 lbs
14) MarQuies Gray, Minnesota, 64 240 lbs
15) Zac Dysert, Miani (OH), 63 215 lbs
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012   #10
XI CMURDER IX
Gig 'em

Rep Power: 1517 XI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Quarterback

Currently on the roster- Matt Schaub, TJ Yates, John Beck, Case Keenum
Roster Outlook- 3 make the roster, Schaub, Yates, and one of Beck/Keenum. At the risk of being crucified by the board, I think Beck makes it.
2013 Outlook- Provided Schaub is healthy, I think a QB gets drafted in the late rounds, possibly a guy with plus athleticism that can add a wrinkle to the offense. However, if Schaub is more seriously injured, I can see a QB going in the first couple rounds.

Over the past 5 years, approximately 12 QBs have been drafted per year. Here are my top 15 draft-eligible QBs.
* denotes the player is an underclassman

1) Landry Jones, Oklahoma, 64 230 lbs
2) Tyler Wilson, Arkansas, 63 220 lbs
3) *Tyler Bray, Tennessee, 65 210 lbs
4) Matt Barkley, USC, 61 220 lbs
5) *Aaron Murray, Georgia, 61 212 lbs
6) *Logan Thomas, Virginia Tech, 65 255 lbs
7) Sean Renfree, Duke, 64 225 lbs
8) Jeff Tuel, Washington State, 63 225 lbs
9) EJ Manuel, Florida State, 64 245 lbs
10) Mike Glennon, NC State, 64 225 lbs
11) Brad Sorenson, Southern Utah, 64 225 lbs
12) *Zach Mettenberger, LSU, 65 225 lbs
13) Geno Smith, West Virginia, 63 215 lbs
14) MarQuies Gray, Minnesota, 64 240 lbs
15) Zac Dysert, Miani (OH), 63 215 lbs
Matt Barkley is 4th on the list? Landry Jones is number 1? Go back and watch some Oklahoma games with Ryan Broyles out, Jones was completely lost without him out there. Something like no touchdowns and half-a-dozen interceptions the rest of that season I think.

I would put Landry Jones with Tyler Bray just below Barkley, Wilson, and Thomas. In no particular order.
XI CMURDER IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012   #11
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Nice find on Zach Ertz-TE from Stanford, but he's listed as an underclassman by Walter. With what sounds like good potential do you think he'll go pro early in 2013? I'm thinking he stays in school at least one more year and goes high in the draft in 2014. The current list of draft eligible TE's doesn't look good for 2013.
There were alot of scouts that felt he was better than Coby Fleener. If he is that good he'll come out early.
Old 07-14-2012   #12
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
WR:

I think Baylor has more than just Terrance Williams; the other two guys look pretty good, too. (Lanear Thompson and Tevin Reese - Reese is an underclassman and may stay in school unless he has a monster year.)

Mark your calendar for Elon's Aaron Mellette.
They have only 2 games on TV (UNC - ACC Network and another game on ESPN3). This guy looks pretty good on the videos I've found so far.
His production is outstanding. Will probably go in the first 3 rounds, maybe on day 1.

Clemson's Sam Watkins might come out early. Remember his name.

Watch W. Virginia for the QB Geno Smith, but also for their 2 WRs Bailey and Austin; they are small but they are both playmakers.
It will be interesting to see how they do in the Big 12 this year.

There are a few more that I want to keep an eye on but I don't have enough info on them yet.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012   #13
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe it will be better if we seperate these prospects by position and have a different thread for each (position)?

At any rate, since I was watching QBs and WRs, I'd like to post a few more observations:

When you watch USC next year for Barkley, the QB, you will have to watch his receivers.
Robert Woods will be a Jr, and he might come out early as a good route runner and an overall guy who gets the job done.

But you will also have to look at Marqise Lee, who will be a Sophomore.
This guy alreay made a lot of big plays as a Freshman. If he continues his growth, there's a good chance that he'll declare.

Depending on how some of the younger guys perform, the next receiver draft might rival this last one in term of depth or in term of relative quality.
Old 07-15-2012   #14
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Then there's Keenan Allen (California) who appeared to be better than Marvin Jones (Bengals 5th round pick).

And the other guy besides Nick Toon whom Wilson threw the ball to:
Jared Abbrederis. He actually had a better ypc than Toon.
Old 07-15-2012   #15
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Besides Watkins (Clemson) I think Dorial Green-Beckham will also become a monster.

He's a Freshman at Mizzou.
Their QB, Frankiln - who is a dual threat QB - injured his shoulder and missed a lot of off-season work.
That, and playing in the SEC, may not help showcasing DGB's talent.

Watch some of his highlights here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92iWB...eature=related

This guy has it all and can do it all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tynxB...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=832sq...eature=related

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read