Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 05-21-2012   #1
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 2013 Texans Draft Needs?

I know it's a bit early but what do you think our team needs will be in the 2013 draft? Take into account players reaching FA, expensive players about to reach FA, salary cap casualties, needs not addressed in 2012 draft, under performing players, etc... I can forcast the needs being:

DE, I think Antonio Smith is a salary cap casualty and depending on value may be replaced early unless Crick just becomes a beast.
DT/NT, I think Sean Cody is a salary cap casualty and a new rotation at NT will be Mitchell and 2013 draft pick unless Fangupo becomes a beast from UDFA.
CB, you can never have to many good CB's and next season we'll see what we have in Jackson, Carmichael, and Harris. If someone lets us down this could be an early pick.
RB, Tate will be a FA after 2013 season so we may look for a replacement a year early depending on value on the board and trade Tate after next season, like the Pats do, unless he agrees to a very team friendly extension which isn't likely.
OT, Butler will be a FA after next season and thus will become quite expensive unless we're sure he's the future of the RT position and we extend him in mid season for a team friendly price.
WR, regardless of the 2012 draft we probably still have a big hole at #2 WR.
QB, we had a thread devoted to the possible trade up in 2013 draft for a future franchise QB unless we see alot of improvement in Yates next season.
TE, OD is getting more expensive and he's just not as good as he was 2-3 yrs. ago.

Opinions?
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012   #2
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2013 Texans Draft Needs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I know it's a bit early but what do you think our team needs will be in the 2013 draft? Take into account players reaching FA, expensive players about to reach FA, salary cap casualties, needs not addressed in 2012 draft, under performing players, etc... I can forcast the needs being:

DE, I think Antonio Smith is a salary cap casualty and depending on value may be replaced early unless Crick just becomes a beast.
DT/NT, I think Sean Cody is a salary cap casualty and a new rotation at NT will be Mitchell and 2013 draft pick unless Fangupo becomes a beast from UDFA.
CB, you can never have to many good CB's and next season we'll see what we have in Jackson, Carmichael, and Harris. If someone lets us down this could be an early pick.
RB, Tate will be a FA after 2013 season so we may look for a replacement a year early depending on value on the board and trade Tate after next season, like the Pats do, unless he agrees to a very team friendly extension which isn't likely.
OT, Butler will be a FA after next season and thus will become quite expensive unless we're sure he's the future of the RT position and we extend him in mid season for a team friendly price.
WR, regardless of the 2012 draft we probably still have a big hole at #2 WR.
QB, we had a thread devoted to the possible trade up in 2013 draft for a future franchise QB unless we see alot of improvement in Yates next season.
TE, OD is getting more expensive and he's just not as good as he was 2-3 yrs. ago.

Opinions?
Kareem Jackson, CB position pays out big time. with other contracts needing addressed doubt they will extend his contract & just let it run it's course.

2012 Draft was Mercilus

Last edited by beerlover; 05-21-2012 at 11:49 AM.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012   #3
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Receiver after reading about AJ.
Old 05-21-2012   #4
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 195710 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm working on 2013 mock now. I think QB is the primary position of concern but I also feel optimistic that Yates will prove sufficient especially if Matt can make it through this next season. Qb does not have to be stellar just accurate with decent release & able to play the pocket. Yates should be able to do that 2012 & even better '13. QB not on my board now.
Posey or not we still need another WR to eventually be WR1.

I anticipate Barwin in his last contract year in a position set to get him sacks will also make himself a tighty bit of change on his next team as a FA. Not able to play 4-3 DE like Mario he is younger and shoud be gone. OLB again will be a high pick.

A CB and RB & perhaps an ILB should give us top 5 picks. I wished I had better idea what comp picks will be. Thought I read on some thread a 2nd, 3rd & 5th. If anyone has good info please shoot me a PM. I was google searching earlier today & caught a virus on my other computer so be careful.
Old 05-21-2012   #5
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Maybe Matt will be traded and keep Barwin.
Old 05-22-2012   #6
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Maybe Matt will be traded and keep Barwin.
Matt will be a FA after this next season, he's not tradeable. Schaub is the major lynch pin here, does he stay or go? If 2012 is his last season as a Texan then I hope the Texans at least give Yates a real chance at the starting position, at least give him the 2013 season. Then if he sucks we'll probably have a high draft pick and be ripe for taking a 1st round QB in 2014.

BB, what sources are you using for a 2013 mock?
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012   #7
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21346 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I'm working on 2013 mock now. I think QB is the primary position of concern but I also feel optimistic that Yates will prove sufficient especially if Matt can make it through this next season. Qb does not have to be stellar just accurate with decent release & able to play the pocket. Yates should be able to do that 2012 & even better '13. QB not on my board now.
Posey or not we still need another WR to eventually be WR1.

I anticipate Barwin in his last contract year in a position set to get him sacks will also make himself a tighty bit of change on his next team as a FA. Not able to play 4-3 DE like Mario he is younger and shoud be gone. OLB again will be a high pick.

A CB and RB & perhaps an ILB should give us top 5 picks. I wished I had better idea what comp picks will be. Thought I read on some thread a 2nd, 3rd & 5th. If anyone has good info please shoot me a PM. I was google searching earlier today & caught a virus on my other computer so be careful.
highest you can get from a comp pick is round 3
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-29-2012   #8
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

1) NT - Cody is a fine player, but he's no game changer. He does his job so I'm not knocking him. Really taking a player that could play the NT position doesn't mean he's taking Cody's job. We just need more talent at the position and this pick is more because Earl Mitchell hasn't looked all that good and Cody has been struggling with injury issues.

2) DB - If McCain has another good year he may want to go somewhere for a chance to start and more money. You can always use quality players in the secondary.

3) OL - We need more quality players there. Need someone to push Newton and Butler may not be here long.

4) ILB - Bradie James has been kind of not a big deal. The depth behind them isn't all that, and I'm not expecting Sharpton to do anything of significance and wouldn't be surprised if he never plays for us again. Give me a big talented MLB to blow up the playside and let Seek and destroy ball carriers.

5) TE - We just need more talented bodies there. I'd like to have another Casey type player that could play some FB and some TE.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012   #9
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
1. Mercilus was drafted to be that guy. I trust Wade.
2. Agreed TE is a need, but there isn't much difference in a 2nd rd TE like Sims and a 5th rd TE like Lutzenkirchen. (Who I really like alot) IMHO
3. We think alike on ILB, Knott from Iowa St. would be a good fit with the Texans
4. OL help, depends on how you feel Jones/Newton will develop. I rate this as a higher need because the Texans are a run 1st team.
5. This is the #1 need IMHO, Luckily this is a very talented and deep draft class.
6. If one of the top QB's fall (Bray) I would take him in the 1st rd. Otherwise a 3rd rd guy I like is Murray from Georgia. He reminds me of Brees.
6. DL help, NT is #2 need on my list, because if Cody leaves Micthell cant handle NT on an every down basis.
7. Love Millard, this guy is just a football player.
Wade also drafted Brandon Harris, roc Carmichael and Shiloh keo....he brought in bradie James and ball too...

I'm not going to say any of those guys are busts, but they haven't made any kind of impact either.

Also, if barwin leaves we need another Olb. Hell, if barwin stays we need to find someone that can consistently pressure qb's in one on one situations.

Dion Jordan.

And I completely disagree on wr. No room. They are not going to shelve posey, jean or Martin this early. Kw looks good catching the ball this year. And Andre is not going anywhere. At least he shouldn't.

We have plenty of receiving weapons.
Old 10-20-2012   #10
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Wade also drafted Brandon Harris, roc Carmichael and Shiloh keo....he brought in bradie James and ball too...

I'm not going to say any of those guys are busts, but they haven't made any kind of impact either.

Also, if barwin leaves we need another Olb. Hell, if barwin stays we need to find someone that can consistently pressure qb's in one on one situations.

Dion Jordan.

And I completely disagree on wr. No room. They are not going to shelve posey, jean or Martin this early. Kw looks good catching the ball this year. And Andre is not going anywhere. At least he shouldn't.

I love Jordan, however after the combine he will probably be a top 15 pick. I think Mercilus will get the 1st shot if Barwin walks. For the same reason you think Posey will get more PT next yr. Barwin $$$$ is going down by the game. Barwin needs to lose weight and Wade has changed his scheme slightly. With that said Barwin has vastly underperformed.

Patterson or Dobson have potential to be available late in the 1st rd, where the Texans should be picking. They not only would be BPA, but a position of need. IMHO You should check out their highlights. I've seen Patterson play many times and he reminds me of a younger version of AJ. If he's there late in the 1st rd you run your card to the podium and call it a night.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012   #11
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Dion Jordan.

Only if you include TE/RB position. Andre the great has fallen, out of the top 20, currently ranked 29th. He has 25 receptions, 358 yards, 2 TD's big Whoop! After him it gets even worse, all the way down to 81st, Keven Walter with 15 receptions 205 yards & one TD. Really. Plenty of receiving weapons? Martin is now taking over kick return duties, he has dropped as many passes as he's caught (6 catches targeted 16 times). Lestar Jean had two receptions for 53 yards before season ending injury, last year he missed entire season & now your suggesting he can be counted on (ultimate shelf player so far). Posey??? Can't decide his biggest play the off sides call that allowed Green Bay another opportunity that resulted in a TD or the fumble recovery in the Packers end zone for a TD? so far he has a big gooses egg (0) heck even Matthew Stafford has at least one catch, ridiculous.

The Texans are in dire need of WR help & the best source of addressing this need is early in 2013 draft. Once Andre Johnson career is over people will look back *****, whine & complain how did the Texans not see this coming & find at least a suitable replacement (will probably never be fully replaced).

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 10-20-2012   #12
Rey
Hall of Fame

Ok, well ill just agree to disagree that wr is a top priority.

Guess our mocks will be completely different.
Old 10-20-2012   #13
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ok, well ill just agree to disagree that wr is a top priority.

Guess our mocks will be completely different.
Im with you on the WR position at least for the time being. I want to see how these young guy's perform thru the rest of the season before I pass judgement.

NT , ILB and OL are my top priorities as it stands now and picking late in the first round (one would assume) would be a good use of assets in picking one of those positions as the early picks tend to be used at more glamour positions. There is value to be found.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012   #14
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 195710 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Im with you on the WR position at least for the time being. I want to see how these young guy's perform thru the rest of the season before I pass judgement.

NT , ILB and OL are my top priorities as it stands now and picking late in the first round (one would assume) would be a good use of assets in picking one of those positions as the early picks tend to be used at more glamour positions. There is value to be found.
As I posted earlier, I don't see Kubiak going against history and moving any of our current WRs; however, BL has an accurate eval of our guys. None have done anything much including AJ. I love the guy but he is not the AJ of old. Not sure of reason.

If there is a guy that is a vast improvement over what we have, especially if he is an eventual replacement for Johnson, I pull trigger in first.
Old 10-20-2012   #15
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 146868 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i think regardless of how our young guys perform, it's way past time to go after a #1 receiver. we may have some talent to develop, but i dont see anyone on our roster taking the job from andre. walter's going to get cut as soon as the next guy shows up, and martin looks to have the slot position. with 'dre slowing down i would move him to walter's spot and use our first on a #1 receiver - possibly moving tate to trade up.

ILB is the second position of need for me, but i'd be looking for a complete 3 down player if at all possible. someone who stays on the field with cushing when we go to nickel instead of rotating in another safety. more and more teams are spreading the field and we need to be more complete up front in nickel formations.

NT for obvious reasons is still something to look at, though one i'd probably look more towards free agency to find one - we know how well early round defensive tackles can be evaluated.

TE, OL, DB - late round players to continue adding depth.
Old 10-20-2012   #16
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
i think regardless of how our young guys perform, it's way past time to go after a #1 receiver. we may have some talent to develop, but i dont see anyone on our roster taking the job from andre. walter's going to get cut as soon as the next guy shows up, and martin looks to have the slot position. with 'dre slowing down i would move him to walter's spot and use our first on a #1 receiver - possibly moving tate to trade up.

ILB is the second position of need for me, but i'd be looking for a complete 3 down player if at all possible. someone who stays on the field with cushing when we go to nickel instead of rotating in another safety. more and more teams are spreading the field and we need to be more complete up front in nickel formations.

NT for obvious reasons is still something to look at, though one i'd probably look more towards free agency to find one - we know how well early round defensive tackles can be evaluated.

damn fine job scooter, I like the way you made it sound so simple

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 10-20-2012   #17
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post

Yep let's go get a free agent nose to start and who will agree to play for nothing. lol
Old 10-20-2012   #18
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yep let's go get a free agent nose to start and who will agree to play for nothing. lol
Yep ... 300 plus guys who have a high motor and can move are called multi millionaires and are worth every penny .

The SEC has some huge NG types this year .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012   #19
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We already have something pretty close in Cody, I think it's possible he resigns. But, I think Scooter's point is the FO can likely find comparable production via FA as opposed to sinking a high draft pick in an NT.

I'm with Scooter far as where our top two choices should be, personally I'd go ILB because the depth there is lacking but also because I don't think Bradie James is going to be here next year. Texans need a second 3 down ILB who can cover.

I'm not overly concerned at OLB right now and after dropping a first last year ona guy who is supposed to turn into a monster rusher last year I think the FO can look later in the draft for depth.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012   #20
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 146868 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
we have 2 on the team now. smith did as much a few years ago, filling our ranks will well playing walk ons. sure the big names are going to command big money, but there are plenty of motivated heavies each year. my point was you're more likely to get production out of an overlooked free agent than amobi okoye or travis johnson - DT appears to miss more than hit in early rounds.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read