Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 03-02-2012   #1
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Scout talk on 50 prospects

from a Wisconson (packer) source...Love the fact that in some cases the scout speaks far from the public line.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...medium=twitter
Old 03-03-2012   #2
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Scout talk on 50 prospects

Talk about divergent opinions on a player, look at this write up on Robert Griffin (from link above):

Quote:
Robert Griffin*, QB, Baylor: 6-2˝, 223. "He's phenomenal," one scout said. "He's going to need technique work and fundamentals. I have no problem about that. But you cannot lose the fact that he's got feet, touch downfield with accuracy, a strong arm. He's charismatic and smart as (expletive)." Played and started all four years, but had his '09 season cut short by a knee injury requiring reconstructive surgery. Finished with an NFL passer rating of 110.1. "He cannot play quarterback," another scout said. "He's just running around winging it. He has no idea how to play quarterback. He's got no vision. He's got no accuracy. No touch. Anything you look for in an NFL quarterback, he doesn't have it. You want him to run around and throw the ball and just keep running, he can do that. He's (Michael) Vick, but not as good a thrower."
From "phenomenal" to "cannot play quarterback". The truth is likely somewhere in between, though I think Griffin is a better passer than Vick coming out of college #faintpraise.
Old 03-03-2012   #3
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92342 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Talk about divergent opinions on a player, look at this write up on Robert Griffin (from link above):

From "phenomenal" to "cannot play quarterback". The truth is likely somewhere in between, though I think Griffin is a better passer than Vick coming out of college #faintpraise.
Wow that second scout gets paid for his opinion?
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012   #4
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 15877 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected
Question Re: Scout talk on 50 prospects

I think one of the most important traits a quarterback can have is the ability to throw while on the run (when the pocket collapses). IMO, Robert Griffin III is probably better at it than Andrew Luck from what I have seen. What say you?
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012   #5
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

At least I know I'm not crazy when I put both Luck and RG III below Keenum in term of QB prowess.

Both of these guys need to learn how to play the postition better.

I kid you not, Yates played the position better than Luck (but one was a Sr. and one was a Jr) their last year in college (in pretty much the same WCO).

The way RG III ran around in college, he will get hurt in the NFL.
The NFL coaches should be smart about it (one hopes).

They need to learn to read coverage better; they need to locate the open receiver sooner (1/8 of a second makes a big difference in the NFL.)

Let's say, for example, if RG III (who ran a very similar system that Keenum did) was able to do the things Keenum did; he would have blown away all the passing records just the same and still managed to make all those plays with his legs.

Both of these guys are much much better athletes than Keenum, but they aren't on the same level of QBacking - at least not yet.

And as I've said, they both seem to be pretty smart.
It's just a matter of whether they can put it all together or not.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012   #6
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 118955 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
At least I know I'm not crazy when I put both Luck and RG III below Keenum in term of QB prowess.

Both of these guys need to learn how to play the postition better.

I kid you not, Yates played the position better than Luck (but one was a Sr. and one was a Jr) their last year in college (in pretty much the same WCO).

The way RG III ran around in college, he will get hurt in the NFL.
The NFL coaches should be smart about it (one hopes).

They need to learn to read coverage better; they need to locate the open receiver sooner (1/8 of a second makes a big difference in the NFL.)

Let's say, for example, if RG III (who ran a very similar system that Keenum did) was able to do the things Keenum did; he would have blown away all the passing records just the same and still managed to make all those plays with his legs.

Both of these guys are much much better athletes than Keenum, but they aren't on the same level of QBacking - at least not yet.

And as I've said, they both seem to be pretty smart.
It's just a matter of whether they can put it all together or not.
what do you think about the negative criticism Keenum is getting for his combine performance?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read