Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-29-2012   #1
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Kuharsky: What I'd do if I ran the Texans

The money isnít mine. Iím not certain about what you can afford and what the market will pay when free agency opens on March 13. Iím not positive about your plans and schemes.

But Iíve got a good sense of your team. We've looked at your free agents.

And hereís what Iíd try to do with your major issues:

1. Make one, big solid offer to defensive end Mario Williams. Very soon. Tell him itís the best you are going to be able to do now or later. Expect him not to take it. Prepare for life without him and the crushing reviews youíll get when he goes to a place like Seattle or, worse, Jacksonville, and wreaks some havoc as a pass rusher. Take solace that heís overpaid by his new team and will ultimately mess up its cap. Plan to draft a outside linebacker to be third in a rotation with Connor Barwin and Brooks Reed.

2. Free up money with the following moves: Cut receiver Jacoby Jones (due a $3 million base salary) and reserve quarterback Matt Leinart (due a $1.75 million base). Make it clear while youíd like to keep them on your team, you cannot pay inside linebacker DeMeco Ryans ($5.9 million), receiver Kevin Walter ($3.5 million base) or defensive tackle Shaun Cody ($2 million) the base salaries they are scheduled to make. Ryans is a good player and a great locker room guy. But he played 58 percent of the Texans' defensive snaps last season. He can't make that money for that time on the field.

3. Do what you need to do to hold on to running back Arian Foster, but realize you have control. Heís a restricted free agent. A team trying to lure him away with an offer sheet would have to give up a first-rounder for him, and as great as he is, a first round pick is a high price for a running back. I think you can be a little risky here in terms of not worrying about outsiders. An offer sheet could be front-loaded and hard to match straight up. Hopefully if heís offered one, heíll share the numbers because he likes you and youíve give him an equivalent deal shaped differently to get him to steer clear of signing the sheet. With or without outside influence, you should be able to give him a deal heíll like that has a smaller 2012 cap number than the franchise tag of nearly $8 million.

4. Find a way to lock up center Chris Myers and donít worry about guard Mike Brisiel, who's not the same caliber and won't cost nearly as much, unless he can be had for cheap. While youíd like to keep both, Myers is a better player, who's more valuable and has a better injury history. Heís also more of a the leader of the group. You need him long-term to keep that great running game going. Antoine Caldwell can take over at right guard without major drop off. There is no obvious replacement for Myers on the roster, so theyíd have to find one if you let him go.

Link to story here.
Old 02-29-2012   #2
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kuharsky: What I'd do if I ran the Texans

I more or less agree with what he said, except his statement that there's no drop off from Briesel to Caldwell at the guard position. Disagree much.

What do you think about his ideas? His article on this issue reads pretty much like the discussions we've had on here regarding Myers, Foster, Williams, JJ and KW, and DeMeco.

I read that article and thought to myself, "Well, all this has pretty much been kicked around on the texanstalk board for the past two months already."

Did he bring anything new to the table, in your opinion?
Old 02-29-2012   #3
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2888 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't want to cut Walter, Cody or Ryans but rather see if they can restructure their current contracts. I don't think it would be smart to cut them. IMO, there is a need to have proven veterans on the team for leadership & guidance. History for this team has shown when you don't have a good mix of veterans on the team, it's not pretty <see 2005 & 2010 seasons>
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012   #4
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 12831 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphajoker View Post
I wouldn't want to cut Walter, Cody or Ryans but rather see if they can restructure their current contracts. I don't think it would be smart to cut them. IMO, there is a need to have proven veterans on the team for leadership & guidance. History for this team has shown when you don't have a good mix of veterans on the team, it's not pretty <see 2005 & 2010 seasons>
Yeah, I don't want to be the Cowboys. No leadership AT ALL.
Old 02-29-2012   #5
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 41089 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't risk the offer sheet with Foster. Thats the only real difference I see
Plus, Id try to keep Briesel. I think he wants to play here
Old 02-29-2012   #6
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 52734 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Where I disagree: Tie up Foster soon, keep Brisiel, and don't restructure DeMeco's contract. DeMeco's early contract renewal was an example for the rest of the team. That good faith gesture reverses itself if you reduce it.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012   #7
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 173371 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Cutting/restructuring DeMeco is a very tricky situation, even if warranted.

He is unquestioned clubhouse leader/cheerleader/motivator -- to a man players love him. Sometimes chemistry is worth more than that.

Everything else is: keep Mario/Arian/Myers & cut Jacoby & Leinart. (Don't want Leinart back, personally.) I'm down with that, as I think most are, but can we do all that?
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-01-2012   #8
thunderkyss 
&amp; so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I more or less agree with what he said, except his statement that there's no drop off from Briesel to Caldwell at the guard position. Disagree much.
I agree with this.

I didn't care much for this article...... I'm not worried about the base salaries, all I care about are the cap numbers & the remaining contracts.

Nothing else matters.
Old 03-01-2012   #9
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

I disagree with his take on Foster... I DO think a team would use a first round pick on him...lock him down 3/13/12 12:01 am...

I disagree with him about Breisel and Caldwell like others on here... Though maybe not hhhuggge, there is a big enough dropoff there where i don't wanna see Caldwell starting (we saw it for a few games, i didn't like it so much)...

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012   #10
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I disagree with him about Breisel and Caldwell like others on here...
Okay, i guess it's spelled Brisiel...

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012   #11
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4547 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Am I the only person who worries about how much it will cost to resign Arian? I love what he brings to the team, and I would hate to see him go, but I would also hate to have to pay any RB what he is going to cost. Just makes me nervous.
Old 03-01-2012   #12
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
Mario wants to get paid like DeMarcus Ware right? Love Mario but he is no where near D-Ware territory. Somebody will pay out the nose for him though. I don't see the Texans keeping him.

I have no problem with the Texans letting Arian be out their via an offer sheet. They can still reject it and if its a high 1st round pick, it might be worth letting him go. Ben Tate is not Arian Foster, but at least he can fill the spot well. It ain't an running back NFL anymore, no one needs to get Chris Johnson money
Arian made HUGE plays last season, I'm talking "momentum changers" that makes him vital since our previous momentum changer, #80, is likely fading with each year that goes by. He's assumed AJ's throne.

Derrick Ward thought he'd go be a bad azz in Tampa but Hook 'Em will tell you he knew it was doomed from the beginning--Ward was successful in NY because of the straight line style of Jacobs. Tate is that straight line guy and Arian is a weaver and juke guy. The two guys enjoy their success due to their contrasting styles which wears down a defense over 4 quarters. Just when the D is trying to stop a weaver, the straight line RB comes in and blows by them like Smokey The Bandit.

If it means letting Mario walk, then I'd spend that dough on Arian. He's smart too...he gets out of bounds when he needs to, he covers up and goes down he needs to. When has he ever taken a hard shot? He doesn't. Smart dude, and he'll play a long long time that way.
Old 03-01-2012   #13
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63790 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Arian made HUGE plays last season, I'm talking "momentum changers" that makes him vital since our previous momentum changer, #80, is likely fading with each year that goes by. He's assumed AJ's throne.

Derrick Ward thought he'd go be a bad azz in Tampa but Hook 'Em will tell you he knew it was doomed from the beginning--Ward was successful in NY because of the straight line style of Jacobs. Tate is that straight line guy and Arian is a weaver and juke guy. The two guys enjoy their success due to their contrasting styles which wears down a defense over 4 quarters. Just when the D is trying to stop a weaver, the straight line RB comes in and blows by them like Smokey The Bandit.

If it means letting Mario walk, then I'd spend that dough on Arian. He's smart too...he gets out of bounds when he needs to, he covers up and goes down he needs to. When has he ever taken a hard shot? He doesn't. Smart dude, and he'll play a long long time that way.

All this talk about Mario being expendable..to be honest, none of these guys who are up & coming up to be paid in the next few years are beyond being replaced except for AJ, schaub & probably cushing imo.

Tate had 1000 yards rushing in limited duty & filled in beautifully for Foster in 2 games last year. You've got to keep in mind that this was truthfully his rookie year as he didn't get a chance to play any last year b/c he got hurt.

Reed & Barwin proved that Mario isn't necessarily vital to the success of our defense; we could also draft someone to replace any 1 of these guys this year.

Konz is a definite possibilty to draft if Meyers decides to bolt.

Butler has shown that he's a solid swing tackle if he has to step in for Brown/Winston/Brisiel & we've still yet to see what we have in shelley smith.

I'll even say that Sharpton/Dobbins or a rookie we draft could contribute as much if not more than Meco.

We're just in a good place talent wise right now.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012   #14
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Only thing I really disagree with is the idea that Cody is overpaid @ $2m, thats a pretty cheap starting NT we've got ourselves. I'd say he's one of the better pieces of FA business we've done in our history, not a flashy player but he holds it down.

I'm not opposed to taking someone in the draft because he's definitely upgradeable, and Mitchell might be better as DE depth, but to say he needs to take a pay cut or be cut is madness jmo.

Oh yeah, and which is more demoralising for the team, seeing DeMeco asked to knock a couple of mill off the tab or seeing some quality depth walk out the door? I'm not 100% in either camp, but there is a question to be answered about whats most important to the team, and DeMeco's leadership is the only real reason I'm even unsure because I've no doubt that with Sharpton next to Cushing the team wouldn't lose all that much, as good a DeMeco is.

Is he really $4 or $5million better than Sharpton? I'm not so sure personally.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012   #15
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
All this talk about Mario being expendable..to be honest, none of these guys who are up & coming up to be paid in the next few years are beyond being replaced except for AJ, schaub & probably cushing imo.

Tate had 1000 yards rushing in limited duty & filled in beautifully for Foster in 2 games last year. You've got to keep in mind that this was truthfully his rookie year as he didn't get a chance to play any last year b/c he got hurt.

Reed & Barwin proved that Mario isn't necessarily vital to the success of our defense; we could also draft someone to replace any 1 of these guys this year.

Butler has shown that he's a solid swing tackle if he has to step in for Brown/Winston/Brisiel & we've still yet to see what we have in shelley smith.

I'll even say that Sharpton/Dobbins or a rookie we draft could contribute as much if not more than Meco.

While Konz is good not sure he handles the mental part of calling ZBS for the line. This is where Myers excells and why Kubes went after him. Remember that many were posting Caldwell would start year one at center and now he is not even #1 back up for that spot.
Old 03-01-2012   #16
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:

Gotta have Arian Foster. He's worth the money.
Old 03-01-2012   #17
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63790 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree for the most part.

i'd just hate to see us in the same situation the Titties were in with chris johnson...or seattle got into with shaun alexander.

Then you look at guys like Adrian Peterson who tore his knee up in the same year he got a huge extension...it gives you caution.

All it takes is 1 false step/cut & a guy may never be the same anymore.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012   #18
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree for the most part.

i'd just hate to see us in the same situation the Titties were in with chris johnson...or seattle got into with shaun alexander.

Then you look at guys like Adrian Peterson who tore his knee up in the same year he got a huge extension...it gives you caution.

All it takes is 1 false step/cut & a guy may never be the same anymore.
Are not injury buy outs often done?
Old 03-01-2012   #19
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72926 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
But how much money? There has to be a cut off at some point. You don't pay any RB what Chris Johnson got.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012   #20
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 58841 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Running back just isnít that important in the NFL any more thanks to the rule changes a few years ago. Its about QBs, WRs, and freak TEs now.

How many elite RBs were in the playoffs this year? How many have won a Super Bowl in the past decade.

Arian is a beast, but clogging up the cap with a running back may not be the best move in the modern NFL. Especially if it interferes with signing or drafting a few WRs and CBs.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read