Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-27-2012   #1
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected
Default GB illegally talking to HOU C Myers

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/n...-headlines?r=1

@Rotoworld_FB
Report: Packers flirting with center Myers dlvr.it/1FbRYB

The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports the Packers discussed free agent C Chris Myers with his representatives "in one of the technically illegal but nonetheless widespread meetings" at the Combine.
The Journal-Sentinel's venerable NFL writer, Bob McGinn, insists nearly every re-signing and free agent signing in March "germinates" from the "supposedly illegal cub-agent meetings in Indy." Pro Football Focus' top-rated 2011 center, Myers makes sense for Green Bay as a replacement for fellow under-sized zone-blocker Scott Wells. It's conceivable that sources leaked the talks to tempt Wells into lowering his reported $7.5 million asking price.
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012   #2
pirbroke
All Pro

Rep Power: 11106 pirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: GB illegally talking to HOU C Myers

I think they should hand us their first round pick for such a travesty.
pirbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012   #3
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 309459 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirbroke View Post
I think they should hand us their first round pick for such a travesty.
Or their QB.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012   #4
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26601 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

Didn't Schaub and the Texans beat Rodgers and the Packers the last time they played? I remember the Texans rolling up over 500 yards of total offense at Lambaeu Field. I'm excited that they play in Reliant this season.
Old 02-27-2012   #5
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 57076 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012   #6
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 366349 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade View Post
Didn't Schaub and the Texans beat Rodgers and the Packers the last time they played? I remember the Texans rolling up over 500 yards of total offense at Lambaeu Field. I'm excited that they play in Reliant this season.
Schaub holds the record for most passing yards by a visiting QB in Lambeau and it was the coldest game played that season. But he is a suck system QB.
Old 02-27-2012   #7
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Am I the only one that thinks Myers is leaving for "greener" pastures? That was a joke not a packers joke....

If I can find the link I'll post it but when he was traded he didn't sound thrilled about being in Houston, I don't think he wanted to leave Denver. Then we ripped him a new one for the better part of 2 years and now? He's probably gonna get an offer from Oakland (Knapp), probably get one from Shanahan unless they have a C already, Green Bay and let's not forget he's from Miami....

And Houston is up against the salary cap. He might pull a Vonta. Make a probowl then make some scrilla elsewhere.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-27-2012   #8
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 23832 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

This is the bad part of success unfortunately
Old 02-27-2012   #9
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39337 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

I don't see the point in it.
Old 02-27-2012   #10
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
I don't see the point in it.
How'd ya mean Gary? You don't see the point in a team illegally talking to Chris Myers/his agent early?

If that wasn't what you were referring to then put me right but I'll try and have a crack at explaining it;

Basically, they all know that as soon as FA starts it becomes a free-for-all to sign the guy, your offer of a visit gets chucked in the pile with every other team in need of the #1 ranked center in the league.

What if they schedule your visit just after the visit with Washington, but the Redskins make a great impression on the guy you're after and the money they offer is over what he expected to be offered, and he's already signed on the dotted line before you even get to speak with him?

What if his current team (in this case us) is his only real interest and you spend your time putting aside a boatload of cash to pursue him, lose your current center who's also pretty good and end up in a bind yourself?

There are a lot of positives to talking to prospective free agents before anyone is allowed to that could be as much as securing his services ahead of time all the way down to simply finding out that it isn't worth your time and effort to pursue him when FA does start.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012   #11
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39337 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
How'd ya mean Gary? You don't see the point in a team illegally talking to Chris Myers/his agent early?

If that wasn't what you were referring to then put me right but I'll try and have a crack at explaining it;

Basically, they all know that as soon as FA starts it becomes a free-for-all to sign the guy, your offer of a visit gets chucked in the pile with every other team in need of the #1 ranked center in the league.

What if they schedule your visit just after the visit with Washington, but the Redskins make a great impression on the guy you're after and the money they offer is over what he expected to be offered, and he's already signed on the dotted line before you even get to speak with him?

What if his current team (in this case us) is his only real interest and you spend your time putting aside a boatload of cash to pursue him, lose your current center who's also pretty good and end up in a bind yourself?

There are a lot of positives to talking to prospective free agents before anyone is allowed to that could be as much as securing his services ahead of time all the way down to simply finding out that it isn't worth your time and effort to pursue him when FA does start.
All fine and good but still not worth the trouble though IMHO.
Old 02-27-2012   #12
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
All of this is why I'm in full support of going OL in the first round. If I'm not mistaken Briesel is a guy who can play center too? There are alot of centers in this draft and I like the kid from Wisconsin at #26. We can get WR in round 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
I really like this as our backup plan, of course you'd prefer to keep hold of your own guy but its nice to know there's someone we could take who has a good chance of working out.
Well, that's IF Konz is even still on the board at #26. Some teams are not going to draft the sexy pick (QB, WR, RB, CB, S, etc.) and at that point a guy like Konz could be on somebody's radar.

IF we lost Myers and needed a quality long-term center, is Konz that guy? Is a Day 1 starter like a JJ Watt was last year? If he's THAT good, teams will be gunning for him. Will Smithiak be willing to trade up for him IF he's that good and IF he's a hot commodity on draft day? Lots of "if's" going on, for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
All fine and good but still not worth the trouble though IMHO.
These guys are trying to put their toe on the line, and even dangle it OVER the line if it means they get an edge on the competition. Happens all the time. It's the old "if you're not cheating, you're not trying" approach. Is it worth it? Probably not. Is somebody foolish enough to try it? Absolutely.

I'd love it if Green Bay got popped for tampering, but I doubt it happens. All teams, to a degree, do a little toe-dangling on this issue. I would imagine that the Texans have let Green Bay's people know that it's onto them and any more of this type of stuff will not be tolerated. Texans are onto this, for sure--Bob McNair, IIRC, personally initiated a meeting with Goodell over the whole Brian Cushing saga, I'd imagine they've gone to bat with the League Office over the Chris Myers/Green Bay thing too.
Old 02-27-2012   #13
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
This is the bad part of success unfortunately
Like my good friend once stated in a lyrical composition: Mo money, mo problems.

If we lose Myers, then let's "go Konz-o" in the first round.

Next. Man. Up.
Old 02-27-2012   #14
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Like my good friend once stated in a lyrical composition: Mo money, mo problems.

If we lose Myers, then let's "go Konz-o" in the first round.

Next. Man. Up.
I really like this as our backup plan, of course you'd prefer to keep hold of your own guy but its nice to know there's someone we could take who has a good chance of working out.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012   #15
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

All of this is why I'm in full support of going OL in the first round. If I'm not mistaken Briesel is a guy who can play center too? There are alot of centers in this draft and I like the kid from Wisconsin at #26. We can get WR in round 2.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read