Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 02-06-2012   #1
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default BB/65/BL Post Super Bowl Texan 2012 Mock Draft 1A.

1A. (With Mario)
In an ideal world, the Texans resign Mario Williams, keeping defense in tact & allowing Kubiak to target offensive & special teams help. This is our (badboy, rmartin65, beerlover) Post Super Bowl Texan Mock Draft for 2012. Enjoy!

1st Round: Kendall Wright, WR, Baylor, 5-10 190
If Texans retain Mario we're all in agreement Wright is the Right choice, BPA & biggest Texan Need. Deep threat, avg. 15.4 yards per game, sub 4.4 forty, excellent burst/cutting ability which will showcase in combine shuttles, good route runner, powers thru tackles & creats separation. Plants foot on cuts with blinding change of direction & brings ball down against taller DBs, sledom loses ball. Can adjust body in air and down sideline with good hands. Blocking hard to evaluate as Baylor seldom ran ball. Should not be problem as he attacks defender to increase YAC. 2011 stats: 108/1663 yds 14 TDs.

2nd Round: Alameda Ta'Amu, NT, Washington, 6-3 341
Strong Samoan, with good feet that can press the pocket, disrupt running lanes & even bull rush his man into the QB. What more is there to say about Ta’amu? He went from being a trendy pick for the first round prior to the season, and gradually fell down the draft board during the season, due to a very lackluster performance as a senior & broken hand. Ta’amu, when healthy and motivated, is the prototypical NT- a mountain of a man, nearly impossible to push back off the line, but with the quick feet and athleticism necessary to get past the Oline and make plays in the backfield. Ideally, Ta’amu does not start right away, and works in a rotation with Cody and Mitchell, depending on the down and distance. Ta'amu the big Tonga The man from Tonga, also gives Wade another possible mismatch physical presence in goal-line, 4th & short as well individual match-ups that favor Texans.

3rd. Round: Ryan Lindley, QB, San Diego State, 6-4 230
Big question a lot of you are asking, "QB is not that high of need, there are other more important positions of need which should be addressed first." Depending on your viewpoint of TJ, Lindley has the potential to become an NFL starting caliber QB. & Matt Schaub will be a free agent in 2013. We have all learned the importance of having good QBs throughout the depth chart. What the Texans were able to achieve this season would not have been possible without investing the pick last year in TJ Yates. And with Yates proving his ability, he should be given the #2 spot, and Leinart should be let go. Enter Lindley, a QB with pro size and a pro arm, as well as a long term starter. Now, his footwork needs work (which causes his accuracy to suffer), as does his ability to read the D. He should sit a couple years, but with Schaub and Yates already in the fold, the Texans can afford to groom a QB. Great value if still on the board.

4th Round: Levy Adcock, OT, Oklahoma State, 6-5 322
Addressing OL is also a concern or ours, despite feeling Texan FA players, Myers & Brisel will be resigned. Adcock won't wow you with athletic talent but fits ZBS , work ethic/lunch pale demeanor of underrated, tough hardworking OL unit that could use cheap talent pool of depth to make playoff push. Adcock could actually help save cap space for other linemen to be resigned as Butler could then be released. All Big 12 Football First Team honors. He started as a Guard during his sophomore season, has the size/strength to kick inside, Wade Smith is still starter material but is on back-end of career & FA in 2014. What really intrigues us & why we think he is such a good OL prospect for Texans is attitude, will punch on initial contact and extend after the whistle to show he means business.

5th Round: Tauren Poole, RB, Tennessee, 5-10 206
Arian Foster is RFA. Will Texans be able to match a big RFA offer from another team with more cap room? Probably not, if retaining Mario. Poole, backed up Arian Foster & Montario Hardesty while @ Tennessee. Anybody who watched Vols offense past season know they went away from ground game & went aerial with down year from OL. He is a physical runner who hits the hole with authority, showcases one-cut ability that fits in ZBS. He runs with good pad level, quick feet & good vision. He has solid hands and body control as a reliable pass catcher. He is also a very good special teams player. The other comparable to Arian is character. Won the Pat Tillman Award at East-West Shrine game which is awarded to the player who best exemplifies character, intelligence, sportsmanship and service. The award recognizes a student-athlete's achievements and conduct, both on and off the field. Sounds like a Texan & Derrick Ward is a free agent.

6th Round: Chase Ford, TE, Miami, 6-6 258
Basketball skills, can run after the catch, long frame big hands, playmaker, red zone target w/huge height window. Would add growing trend to Texan roster of a tall red zone target who creates mismatches with basketball type talent in jump ball situations. Very fluid athlete who can also get downfield & stretch the defense opening receivers underneath.

7th - Randy Bullock, K, Texas A&M, 5-9 212
Rackers is a free agent & Texans resign Mario in this mock. Randy Bullock Texas A&M kicker is a solid athlete with plus strength. FG: 29/33 & EP 55/57. A klein Texas boy who enterred his senior season with 120 consecutive extra point successful. As a junior his 3 FGs beat Nebraska 9-6 so nerves do not effect him.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012   #2
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: BB/65/BL Post Super Bowl Texan 2012 Mock Draft 1A.

I'm not a fan of picks 3 and 5. I'm meh on pick 7 as I think we can find a good kicker as an UDFA...

In RD. 3 I'd rather have Isiah Pead and in Rd. 5 I'd rather have ILB help.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012   #3
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I like this one better even though I'm against keeping Mario. Agree on the 7th K pick, just get a F/a and take a flyer on a guy who can burn.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012   #4
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
I like this one better even though I'm against keeping Mario. Agree on the 7th K pick, just get a F/a and take a flyer on a guy who can burn.
then you should like 1B (without mario) better? we also expect special teams to be an area of focus for the Texans this off-season.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 02-06-2012   #5
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
then you should like 1B (without mario) better? we also expect special teams to be an area of focus for the Texans this off-season.
keeping Mario or not has nothing to do with what I think of the players (which are different for either) or the positions/rank you have. I like the players and positions better in this one than the other.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012   #6
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 248395 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I'd like to "target" an OG in the 1st or 2nd rounds. I want someone with a good shot at replacing Wade Smith by the end of training camp.

Unless you guys know of a reason for his drop off in play this season.
Old 02-07-2012   #7
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

I of course like the 1st rounder you guys suggested... 2nd rounder I'm okay with...

I really like where you're going with the 3rd round pick... I've never seen any video or anything on the kid, but i understand the value you're shooting for... So my question is: what other QBs may be available come the Texans 3rd rd pick that you think hold good value for that pick? I'd like to look at all of them...

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-07-2012   #8
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkcookie View Post
I of course like the 1st rounder you guys suggested... 2nd rounder I'm okay with...

I really like where you're going with the 3rd round pick... I've never seen any video or anything on the kid, but i understand the value you're shooting for... So my question is: what other QBs may be available come the Texans 3rd rd pick that you think hold good value for that pick? I'd like to look at all of them...
here is a tough match-up for Lindley http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZKHc0FKDsQ vs Louisiana Lafayette who has an outstanding CB named Dwight Bentley who I absolutely love (would consider him in 3rd as well). Notice how athletic he is, that he keeps his eyes down field, even on the run, making progressions, excellent arm strength, good accuracy. In regards to other QB's with 2nd/3rd rd. grades who have the size combined with athletic ability are the two Arizona QB's Foles, Arizona, 6-5 244 & Osweiler, Arizona State, 6-7 240 out of the three we favored Lindley. Also in mock 1A we target Chattanooga, QB BJ Coleman, 6-3 234. Also athletic with strong arm, w/smooth, quick release with good mechanics. TJ for instance had the quickest release of any QB prospect in last years draft, something Texans really like from a mechanics standpoint.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 02-07-2012   #9
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I hear you BL, but I can't get past the fact that we'd essentially be spending a third round pick on a third string QB.
Strange, isn't it? Took me a minute to like the idea...

I like the idea of more ILB depth in the 3rd, heck maybe even 2nd (if Mario is gone, OLB depth un 3rd)...but having two very young QBs with promise learning, maturing and competing for the starting job in the future is very tempting to me...

Wouldn't say I'm sold, but I'm liking it...

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012   #10
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkcookie View Post
Strange, isn't it? Took me a minute to like the idea...

I like the idea of more ILB depth in the 3rd, heck maybe even 2nd (if Mario is gone, OLB depth un 3rd)...but having two very young QBs with promise learning, maturing and competing for the starting job in the future is very tempting to me...

Wouldn't say I'm sold, but I'm liking it...
good on you, its very important to keep an open mind & show ability to process needs while not overlooking value.

2012 Draft was Mercilus

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read