Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 01-26-2012   #1
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans Meet With Prospect ______, 2012 Edition

I figured we could use a thread to put all the confirmed contact between the Texans and prospects. I found a couple so far.

Quote:
Houston - Texas linebacker Keenan Robinson
http://www.walterfootball.com/senior...2meetings3.php

Quote:
Houston - Ohio State offensive tackle Mike Adams and Boston College cornerback Donnie Fletcher
http://www.walterfootball.com/senior...12meetings.php

Quote:
I spoke to the Bucs, Jaguars, Dolphins, Chiefs, Falcons, Texans, Chargers, Packers, Panthers, Browns, Seahawks, and there were more but I can’t recall them at the moment.
- Old Dominion DT/DE Ronnie Cameron
http://www.jbscouting.com/index.php/...nal-2-jan-23rd
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012   #2
MistaRed
All Pro

Rep Power: 13090 MistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Meet With Prospect ______, 2012 Edition

I posted this Tuesday night. It came via twitter:

@DraftCountdown #Washington DT Alameda Ta'amu told me that the #Texans have been showing a lot of interest. --
MistaRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012   #3
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110436 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

There is a page called player / team observations on draftcountdown.com that list teams and players they have seen together. LINK

They show us to have visited
Mike Adams

Cam Johnson, DE, Virginia
Analysis
Strengths: Tremendous explosion, accelerates low with power. Relentless blindside pursuit, tracks down ball carriers on the other side of the field. Fast in a straight line. Excellent wide and bull rushes when quick off the snap. Strong tackler. Has good power in hands and can anchor, shed, and chase.

Weaknesses: Is slightly high cut and somewhat stiff in the hips, likely too stiff for 3-4 OLB consideration. Doesn't change directions well. Can be late off the snap. Has a history of serious injuries, including knee and pectoral. Needs more pass rush moves beyond wide and bull.

NFL Comparison: Tyler Brayton, Carolina Panthers

Derek Wolfe
I'm telling you this guy fits our mold.

Marvin Jones, WR, California
WR Marvin Jones was overshadowed a bit by Keenan Allen, but no one has made more spectacular catches along the sidelines than Jones, who has caught at least one pass in 37 straight games. In the bowl game, his chief contribution may be as a punt returner.

Mitchell Schwartz, OT, California
2010 Season
A second-team All-Pac-10 choice that started all 12 games at left tackle, anchoring an offensive line that blocked for 1,167-yard rusher Shane Vereen … earned a second-team spot on Phil Steele's postseason All-Pac-10 team and a first-team position on his mid-season All-Pac-10 squad … a member of the Jewish Sports Review's 2010 College Football All-America Team … recipient of team's Brick Muller Award as Cal's Most Valuable Offensive Lineman for the second straight year and winner of the team's Andy Smith Award as the Cal player with the most Big "C" time … an honorable mention Pac-10 All-Academic selection for the third consecutive season … selected as a second-team preseason All-Pac-10 choice by Athlon, Lindy's and Phil Steele, while Steele also listed him as the nation's No. 63 draft-eligible tackle.

Interesting that they are looking at OT's. A position no one thinks is a need. Adams is a definite first rounder so I wonder what they are thinking there. Maybe they are covering their bases in case they loose Breisal. Moving Winston inside to RG and adding Adams at LT would be sweet.
Old 01-26-2012   #4
vanknights2002
Rookie

Here's a video on Marvin Jones. Look at the catch he makes at 59 sec.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boy0tkwcv-A
vanknights2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012   #5
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

We resigned Butler in the offseason right, how long was his contract for? They might not be too high on our latest young OLineman
Old 01-27-2012   #6
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon420tx View Post
We resigned Butler in the offseason right, how long was his contract for? They might not be too high on our latest young OLineman
Butler signed for two years for right around 1mill each year. He will be a free agent in 2013.
Old 01-26-2012   #7
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanknights2002 View Post
Here's a video on Marvin Jones. Look at the catch he makes at 59 sec.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boy0tkwcv-A
Except for a few of his "spectacular" catches, he doesn't reach out to catch the ball very often, mostly letting them hit inside his body. Do coaches still teach the Diamond technique to receiver or what. I haven't seen anyone really use it at the pro level.

For those that don't know, the Diamond Technique is a way to easily catch passes that are thrown within catching distance. You put the tips of your thumbs and and forefingers together like your making a diamond and spread out your fingers, When the tip of the ball goes through the gap made by your hands the natural force of the ball will close your hands around it and stop it. Try it with your kids, they'll learn to catch extremely well extremely fast. The Diamond Tech is used for passes thrown above the waist, for lower passes you put the tips of your pinkies together and your hands in a "cradling position" I call it the cradling technique but I forgot what coach called it.
I taught my 10 year old nephew and the kid has been ripping up his little leagues since.
Sponsored links
Old 01-27-2012   #8
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
There is a page called player / team observations on draftcountdown.com that list teams and players they have seen together. LINK

They show us to have visited
Mike Adams

Cam Johnson, DE, Virginia
Analysis
Strengths: Tremendous explosion, accelerates low with power. Relentless blindside pursuit, tracks down ball carriers on the other side of the field. Fast in a straight line. Excellent wide and bull rushes when quick off the snap. Strong tackler. Has good power in hands and can anchor, shed, and chase.

Weaknesses: Is slightly high cut and somewhat stiff in the hips, likely too stiff for 3-4 OLB consideration. Doesn't change directions well. Can be late off the snap. Has a history of serious injuries, including knee and pectoral. Needs more pass rush moves beyond wide and bull.

NFL Comparison: Tyler Brayton, Carolina Panthers

Derek Wolfe
I'm telling you this guy fits our mold.

Marvin Jones, WR, California
WR Marvin Jones was overshadowed a bit by Keenan Allen, but no one has made more spectacular catches along the sidelines than Jones, who has caught at least one pass in 37 straight games. In the bowl game, his chief contribution may be as a punt returner.

Mitchell Schwartz, OT, California
2010 Season
A second-team All-Pac-10 choice that started all 12 games at left tackle, anchoring an offensive line that blocked for 1,167-yard rusher Shane Vereen … earned a second-team spot on Phil Steele's postseason All-Pac-10 team and a first-team position on his mid-season All-Pac-10 squad … a member of the Jewish Sports Review's 2010 College Football All-America Team … recipient of team's Brick Muller Award as Cal's Most Valuable Offensive Lineman for the second straight year and winner of the team's Andy Smith Award as the Cal player with the most Big "C" time … an honorable mention Pac-10 All-Academic selection for the third consecutive season … selected as a second-team preseason All-Pac-10 choice by Athlon, Lindy's and Phil Steele, while Steele also listed him as the nation's No. 63 draft-eligible tackle.

Interesting that they are looking at OT's. A position no one thinks is a need. Adams is a definite first rounder so I wonder what they are thinking there. Maybe they are covering their bases in case they loose Breisal. Moving Winston inside to RG and adding Adams at LT would be sweet.
Agree! I won't be surprised if we take Wolfe, even at #26. They say he's climbing the draft boards.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012   #9
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
Agree! I won't be surprised if we take Wolfe, even at #26. They say he's climbing the draft boards.
If we draft Wolfe do we not start out 1st round pick or bench Antonio Smith for him?

I can't envision a scenario where either of those things happens.
Old 01-30-2012   #10
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
If we draft Wolfe do we not start out 1st round pick or bench Antonio Smith for him?

I can't envision a scenario where either of those things happens.
The Texans should be entering into era where the 1st rounder automatically starting from day 1 should be over.
Old 04-07-2012   #11
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

More corners db's play than any other position in football.

They are absolutely vital to success in today's NFL.

I have 0 issue with the texans taking a corner in the draft.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012   #12
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 181199 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
More corners db's play than any other position in football.

They are absolutely vital to success in today's NFL.

I have 0 issue with the texans taking a corner in the draft.
We have 6 corners on roster now. How about working with that and fill some other spots? Yeah, I do have a bit of rancor concerning that spot.
Old 04-07-2012   #13
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
We have 6 corners on roster now. How about working with that and fill some other spots? Yeah, I do have a bit of rancor concerning that spot.
You are expecting a late round draft pick to come in and contribute?

I really don't care what position the guy plays. If they think they can find a good player in the late rounds, pick him.
Old 04-10-2012   #14
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Good find BB.
If he's getting knocked down or engulfed by college level O-linemen, then he'll get killed in the NFL.

2nd part sounds like a poor tackler. Granted that can be fixed but overall he sounds like a late round pick that makes the practice squad, maybe, and I'm looking for potential starters in the 2nd round.
Maybe someone should tell that to the texans as they are the ones meeting with him.

I can't see them going through the trouble if the didn't have genuine interest.

He is good in pass coverage as a lb, has great speed and he is a thumper. He's not rated as a second round prospect for no reason.

Does he have flaws? Sure. But make no mistake about it, he is a good player.
Old 04-10-2012   #15
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Since badboy only posted the negatives the writer posted, here are his positives:

Quote:
Has a filled-out frame with good thickness packed on his body. Plays at full speed at all times with an active motor and determined quickness in pursuit. Possesses functional strength with powerful hands, working hard to shed at the point of attack and is at his best against the run -- downhill defender and physical tackler. Uses his eyes well to decipher and break down the play, showing good awareness and discipline to not be fooled by fakes. Takes accurate angles with good closing burst, showing the footwork to work well in tight areas. Tough and strong and has earned the reputation as a high effort player. Has some versatility with starting experience at both inside and outside linebacker in Cal's 3-4 defensive scheme. Was productive in his three years as a starter and was the team's most decorated player in 2011, earning Conference Defensive Player of the Year honors.
Is he a perfect prospect? No, but if he was he would be a first rounder, and not a late 2nd/early 3rd kind of guy.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012   #16
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Don't worry, people will come around once he starts blowing up offensive lines.

Last year I said Watt was perfect for this defense. This year Worthy is my guy! There is no other defensive player in this draft that fits this team better.

People were freaking out when we drafted Watt. I really believe Worthy can have the same kind of effect Watt had as a rookie. Some will say well he was inconsistent. I'm not worried about that at all. He was the only player on MSU's front seven that was any good, yet he was still able to dominate at times. He's got high football IQ, is a vocal leader and has an explosive first step. He is perfect for this defense.

Cody is a very serviceable but he does little in terms of creating problems for offensive lines. Put Worthy in between Watt and Smith and you now have 3 players that are capable of getting penetration against double teams on a regular basis. Think of all the problems that will create for offensive lines.
Yeah, if worthy is there I think I'd take him. I think he can be a dominant player on the NFL level. And I agree, I think he'd be special in our defense.
Old 04-12-2012   #17
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 150044 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Yeah, if worthy is there I think I'd take him. I think he can be a dominant player on the NFL level. And I agree, I think he'd be special in our defense.
What round do y'all think we'd take him if he was to be there? I reckon I need to go research this Mr. Worthy.
Old 04-12-2012   #18
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
What round do y'all think we'd take him if he was to be there? I reckon I need to go research this Mr. Worthy.
Round 1, Pick 26.
Old 04-12-2012   #19
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 150044 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Brandon Hardin has visited the Seattle Seahawks, Houston Texans, Miami Dolphins, Baltimore Ravens, San Diego Chargers and the Chicago Bears, according to a league source.
http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=1...=5557076&fhn=1
Old 04-19-2012   #20
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Per Aaron Wilson tweet:

Quote:
Stanford safety Michael Thomas has a private workout for the Houston Texans today, according to a league source.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read