Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Which one?
Jacoby Jones 13 12.50%
Baltimore's defense 15 14.42%
Home field advantage 0 0%
Lack of secondary receiving options 10 9.62%
Rookie inexperience 66 63.46%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-16-2012   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 72911 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What happened to Yates?

Against Cincinnati TJ Yates was an unspectacular 11/20 for 159 yards and 1 TD. A huge chunk of that came on one deep ball to AJ. However he accounted for no turnovers and completed key 3rd down passes. He managed the game really well and was a big part of that win.

Against Baltimore TJ pretty much single-handedly accounted for our ineffectiveness on offense. Despite a record shattering performance by Arian Foster, he ended up 17/35 for 184 yards with 3 INTs. There were several dropped INTs as well (one by Ray Lewis, one by Ed Reed, and may be more that I can't remember).

It leaves you wondering "What if Matt Schaub were healthy..." or "How good of a day would Foster have had if they were scared of our passing game..."

Anyway, the two games looked like they featured totally different quarterbacks. One who was very careful with the ball and one who was very sloppy. So what do you think the main difference was? (I realize the easy answer would be that all of them played a part in our loss, but the goal of the poll is to see which you feel was the most important factor). I'm curious what other people feel so that we can figure out what the best way to prepare for next season is, and also whether or not Schaub would have made that much of a difference.

Choice 1: Jacoby Jones -
That fumble changed the momentum of the game. We were ahead, had made a great stop on defense, and then gave up the lead. Being down early forced Yates to be more aggressive and ended up resulting in another turnover. That led to points as well. All of Yates INTs came when he was trying to make up ground quickly, and this first fumble by Jones set the inevitable train in motion.

Choice 2: Baltimore's defense -
Baltimore had the #3 total defense vs Cincinnati's #7. Baltimore was #4 against the pass, Cincinnati #9. Interestingly Baltimore was #1 in passer rating allowed while Cincinnati was #17.
Was the defense in Baltimore just so much better that it made the majority of the difference against Yates?

Choice 3: Home field advantage -
It was loud on defense in Baltimore while our crowd gave our team a huge boost in Houston. Was the crowd noise the biggest problem?

Choice 4: Lack of legitimate secondary receivers -
It seems like the majority of INTs came when Yates decided he was going to throw to AJ even when he wasn't open. Was this because our other WRs simply weren't getting open?

Choice 5: Rookie inexperience -
As above, but was the reason rookie inexperience vs lack of options? Did being a rookie and lacking the discipline and experience to survey all your passing routes finally catch up to Yates? A few times in the game Yates played like a true veteran (spinning out of sacks, throwing the ball away). And yet others he looked every bit the rookie that he really is.
Old 01-16-2012   #2
Mr. Texan
I'm A Texan

Rep Power: 16186 Mr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What happened to Yates?

all of the above
Mr. Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #3
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 125280 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Texan View Post
all of the above
yup.
Old 01-16-2012   #4
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 317-6-8, 115 Q6
Rep Power: 48949 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

# 2
StarStruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #5
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes all of those points are pretty accurate but I would move up no true option at the #2 or #3 WR position that was huge and pretty obvious no other WR could open when we needed them.
Old 01-16-2012   #6
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

All of the above.

Yates did about as well as can reasonably be expected. It was just too big of a responsibility for him at this stage of his career. He has earned the privilege to continue his professional development as an NFL quarterback with his performance out on the field. And that will happen.

In fact, if Matt Schaub had played yesterday, I expect that the Texans would have won that game. And he will be back next year, which should be a really good year for the Houston Texans.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012   #7
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: What happened to Yates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoMan View Post
All of the above.

Yates did about as well as can reasonably be expected. It was just too big of a responsibility for him at this stage of his career. He has earned the privilege to continue his professional development as an NFL quarterback with his performance out on the field. And that will happen.

In fact, if Matt Schaub had played yesterday, I expect that the Texans would have won that game. And he will be back next year, which should be a really good year for the Houston Texans.
/thread
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-18-2012   #8
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 82233 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Hell the OP didn't need a poll for this thread, he answered his own question...

Everything he listed was the reason...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Crapatrick!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #9
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 176918 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Rookie inexperience. He didn't seem to read through progressions and forced the ball way too many times. I thought he was zeroing in on the play that was called and not going to other options if available. There were 3 interceptions in our two playoff games that were not made because the DBs just didn't make the play...so in total, his turnovers should have been much higher.

I was also not impressed with his accuracy on some throws. I don't know if this problem has been nerves or what...but while he can throw to the middle (although behind his receivers some times), I don't get the impression with a small body of work that he's comfortable working to the sidelines.

At this point, it's really hard for me to see whether or not he's starter material in a couple years. Who knows, with a full training camp and time on the sideline to watch and really digest what's happening on the field, he may emerge in 2 years as a very promising starter for the team's future. Right now, I'm not sold.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #10
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 270486 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
Rookie inexperience. He didn't seem to read through progressions and forced the ball way too many times. I thought he was zeroing in on the play that was called and not going to other options if available. There were 3 interceptions in our two playoff games that were not made because the DBs just didn't make the play...so in total, his turnovers should have been much higher.

I was also not impressed with his accuracy on some throws. I don't know if this problem has been nerves or what...but while he can throw to the middle (although behind his receivers some times), I don't get the impression with a small body of work that he's comfortable working to the sidelines.

At this point, it's really hard for me to see whether or not he's starter material in a couple years. Who knows, with a full training camp and time on the sideline to watch and really digest what's happening on the field, he may emerge in 2 years as a very promising starter for the team's future. Right now, I'm not sold.
Actually I agree with you're entire post. But the prime reason is that he's not NFL-ready. Not yet.

This... I thought he was zeroing in on the play that was called and not going to other options if available. ...is what he needs to work on the most.

I've watched the game twice now and he could have possibly thrown 2 or 3 additional picks if the Ravens don't drop them or our guys don't end up playing DB to break up his passes.

He never seemed to relax and just play football. And each pick - or near pick - seemed to make him that much more uptight.

Lastly, if Yates lets Jacoby's fumble - that happened FIVE MINUTES into a 60-minute game - rattle him for 55 minutes then he damn sure ain't ready to be a leader.
A leader steps up. A leader would have said, "shake it off Jacoby, we're going to get that one back and then some."
I'll bet you a C-note that's what Schaub would have done.
Maybe, after a few years of seasoning, that's what Yates will do.
But he ain't ready today.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #11
Mr. Texan
I'm A Texan

Rep Power: 16186 Mr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think some of you had unrealistic expectations of TJ. He's a rookie going on the road against a great defense and looked like a rookie going on the road against a great defense.

look at the film
learn from your mistakes
and move on to try and become a better qb.
Mr. Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #12
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 66454 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think some of you had unrealistic expectations of TJ. He's a rookie going on the road against a great defense and looked like a rookie going on the road against a great defense.

look at the film
learn from your mistakes
and move on to try and become a better qb.
I didn't have unrealistic expectations. But I do think he tried to put a little more on his shoulders when all he needed to do is what he's been doing, and that's not forcing things and not making mistakes.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #13
Ranger Tom
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19932 Ranger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
all of the above
This.
Ranger Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #14
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 76973 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

TJ just had too much confidence in AJ making the play if he just threw it up there.

Rook got tons of experience that he would not have gotten had things turned out differently.

Maybe it will pay dividends in the future.

Old 01-16-2012   #15
H.C.4100-Bloc
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 H.C.4100-Bloc is a Pro BowlerH.C.4100-Bloc is a Pro Bowler

# 5
H.C.4100-Bloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #16
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14619 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

The biggest play I have a problem with was the last offensive snap. Its 4th and 2 and you throw a hail mary. We probably have 2 more snaps if we just get the first down and get out of bounds. That was a horrible decesion on Yates part.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #17
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 66454 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Getting the ball to AJ as much as you can is always good, but him being on the field gets other guys open too, and Yates just wasn't going to/finding those guys.

I recall one play where Yates tried to force it to AJ and Walter was streaking down the middle wide open.

When AJ draws crowds, find the open man. That's part of AJ's greatness.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #18
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 370555 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

TJ is a rookie playing against a great defense with years of playoff experience. It would have been very unusual for him to beat that defense, and it's the primary reason why the majority of analysts and non-Texans fans predicted a win for the Ravens.

The great thing about this team, though, is that they could have won the game even with a rookie QB.

This loss will certainly make this team better next season. No moral victories in my world, but every experience provides lessons that can greatly improve individual players and teams as a whole.

They just need to go into the 2012 season with more weapons on offense and no Jacoby Jones on the roster.
Old 01-16-2012   #19
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 55012 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

In this poll I would have to say inexperience...but in reality I lean towards none of the above.

The reason? I think there's a pretty good chance that TJ Yates was over-coached, at no fault of the coaches and/or backup QBs. As Yates' starts increased, the general consenus was that he was an accident waiting to happen, i.e. that the true rookie would come out eventually. You could see TJ teetering on the brink several times, despite posting better completion rates and QB ratings. But one thing (of many) I marked as the season wore on...

As opposed to his first few games, Yates demeanor changed in interviews. His verbiage changed, as well. Instead of a high level of confidence, as exhibited early on, he started speaking more about his mistakes in practice. Kubiak changed his tune a little, too. More and more Yates began to speak of how much Schaub, Leinart, Jake and Garcia were helping him. Then you have Knapp, Dennison and Kubiak. That's 4 more people in his ear than Schaub would have gotten.

The point is, after the Cincy game, I don't even think Yates' footwork looked the same; and though Yates looked pretty calm on the sidelines, it looked like that was more out of meekness rather than the fire we saw when he talked back to Kubiak there on the sidelines that one game.

In a nutshell, once they began going conservative on offense, there was no turning back for such a young guy. Then they attempted to put in a less conservative gameplan, and it made Yates unsure of himself instead of using his natural abilities. The punch in his play was gone.

I hope it didn't ruin him. If it didn't, then TJ Yates should be a damn good QB in the future if he really takes from this experience.
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012   #20
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77804 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

How about playcalling? Why call a deep bomb to Andre with over a minute and two timeouts left?

But yeah, no other weapons + rookie inexperience falling into a comfort zone with one guy = Ed Reed.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read