Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Who would you rather start for the playoffs?
TJ Yates 102 75.00%
Jake Delhomme 34 25.00%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-02-2012   #1
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 35618 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Poll: TJ Yates or Delhomme?

Would you start TJ Yates or Delhomme in the playoffs?

My first vote goes to TJ Yates. He's got more upside than Delhomme. Delhomme's shown us what he's capable of, especially during the playoffs. He's not going to radically change. He's a turnover waiting to happen.

TJ Yates is still growing as a rookie and learning. He's struggled the last few games, but he was on target and confident on the first drive against the Titans. We don't know what to expect from him, but he's got way more potential.
Old 01-02-2012   #2
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16557 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Poll: TJ Yates or Delhomme?

I hope this does not happen but this is how i see it play out

T sizzle or freaking Ravens NT CODY or someone knocks/lights tj up thus taking him out of the game Jake comes in and leads us to victory beatin the ravens
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012   #3
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 128861 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

delhomme by a mile. in a year or two i take yates, but on THIS team in THIS season, we need a game manager ... not a rookie that we have to alter the offense and routes for. anyone saying the offense doesnt change for yates is absolutely full of it.

take away potential, next season, madden, and possibilities. strip it down to the Texans' best chance of winning playoff games this season. delhomme is more capable of delivering.
Old 01-02-2012   #4
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95473 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Delhomme.

Both of them are turnovers waiting to happen, but I'll take the turnover waiting to happen that has some playoff experience.

Come to think of it, Matt Schaub was a turnover waiting to happen. As a matter of fact, all NFL QBs are turnovers waiting to happen.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012   #5
Nitrofish
Pastafarian

Rep Power: 102617 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Nitrofish

I like Yates and commend him for what he has accomplished, but on a treacherous mountain road, (the playoffs) I would rather have an experienced bus driver who knows the route inside and out, even if he does have a few fender benders, than a wounded rookie on his first trip. I voted for Delhomme.

If you take the wait and see approach, the bus may already be off the cliff.

"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever. -Shane Falco
"Listen... Do you smell something?" -Dr. Raymond Stantz
Nitrofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012   #6
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I voted TJ, simply because he's probably our future starter, but, I don't think it really matters this year. Kubiak is running the show, so we'll probably be history after next Sat. I hope I'm wrong, and the man grows some between now and then, but, just like waiting 10 yrs for my team to make the playoffs, I've waited 5 yrs for Kubes to grow as a HC! We'll see what the man is really made of next Sat. Personally, I think he'll have a noose around the neck of either QB.
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012   #7
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 274452 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

This is a tougher call than I thought it would be.
T.J.
+ Been in the offense longer; should know it better
+ Younger and likely a bit faster if he has to run
- Is a bit dinged up and I worry if that will affect his longer/deeper throws
- Doesn't always keep his eyes downfield when avoiding the rush

Jake
+ More playoff experience (went toe-to-toe with Brady in the 2003 SB; threw for 330+ yds, 3 TDs, no INTs)
+ Appears to keep the play alive longer than TJ by moving around in the pocket. Keeps eyes downfield while so doing
- Not here long enough to know the whole playbook. Don't want our offense any more limited than it is
- Accuracy could be a shade better; I saw a couple of balls thrown behind folks. ...but that could be rust.

I think I would give the edge to TJ just because of his additional experience in our offense. But I wouldn't be too skeerd if Jake had to come in off the bench. I'm probably alone in this but liked what I saw from Jake more than what I saw from Leinart. ...and Leinart had 1st-stringers to throw to.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-02-2012   #8
Kthx
All Pro

Section: Bar Table
Rep Power: 8622 Kthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respected

I have to go with TJ here, hes already beaten the Bengals once this year so for the next game at least I would much rather have TJ in. But Jake did come in looking halfway decent I wouldn't mind if he had to jump in for some reason at the half if things were looking bad either.
Kthx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012   #9
SeminoleTexan
Rookie

Rep Power: 112 SeminoleTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeminoleTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeminoleTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeminoleTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeminoleTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeminoleTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeminoleTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeminoleTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeminoleTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeminoleTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeminoleTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd go with TJ Yates since he's been in the offense longer and during the game yesterday the announcers mentioned that he had been working on new plays and stuff during the past week. At least we know that Jake will be ready to come in if TJ happens to get hurt or gets rattled.
SeminoleTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012   #10
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4924 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't vote, too tough of a decision...

I like Yates, and think he can be the future QB of this franchise in a few years if Schaub is done, but that's "in a few years"... The question is "It's the playoffs in 2012, who should start at QB for the Texans?"

I don't think that there is a cut and dry answer to the question... We're not talking a one vs. a four here, we're talking a three vs. a four, and right now, with that three only making his first NFL start a month ago tomorrow, there's no real separation between the two QBs in question, IMO... And have we really seen enough in this short time to say either way?

Then we have the four (Delhomme).. he sucked in his last gig, and was sucking the gig prior to his last one... But would the three have done any better in those situations? I doubt it...

Too tough of a call... But if i had a gun to my head, I'd go with Yates, just because he's been in the system longer and has had more time to gel with the receivers... and i don't think i'd enjoy being shot in the head...

It is very tempting to go with The Vet over The Kid, though.. Delhomme looked comfortable running the offense Sunday, and has that playoff experience and more experience period...

screw it, i'll go with The Ve *boom*

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012   #11
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

TJ only b/c at this point, you've gotta ride with him...can't take the reins from the kid now that he's gotten us here. We also need to find out what we have in him; a guy that can possibly give Schaub some comp in a year, or just a quality back-up. If he fails miserably in the playoffs, it was expected if he flourishes, we will almost assuredly have our qb of the near future.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012   #12
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37668 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Is it because of his TD drive at the end of the game we're making Delhomme's performance seem better than it actually was? I think he was solid, and he performed better than I expected, but he didn't have such a good game to make me start to think we should start him over Yates.

Take a look again at the offense's performance while he was in. 45% of the time we went 3 & out. In actuality, he only drove the offense down the field in one series (Series 7). The big play in series 4 was a penalty, and series 5 was due to the long run by Tate. I give him alot of credit for the last drive, but it did start on the TEN 36.

Series 1
3 & out

Series 2
3 & out

Series 3
Delhomme fumble

Series 4
52 yard FG
3-4 for 31 yards, big play was an unneccessary roughness penalty

Series 5
37 yard FG
Mostly due to the Tate 56 yard run. Delhomme completed one screen pass for 9 yards.

Series 6
3 & out

Series 7
Rackers 22 yard FG
3-4 for 60 yards

Series 8
3 & out

Series 9
3 & out

Series 10
Nice 40 yard completion to Johnson, but went 3 & out right after that.

Series 11
Nice drive to get game winning TD, but he actually only had to go 36 yards

Now I'm not trying to take anything away from Delhomme's performance, I think he played solid. But he didn't have such a great performance that we should start him over our starter of the past 5 weeks and been with us the whole season.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012   #13
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 321362 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I can see the arguments from both sides but... I'm just glad I don't have to make the decision. I'm fine with it either way.

My heart says TJ. It would be an epic story if this 5th round draft choice could come in and win some playoff games. AND, I think it's the first time two rookies have ever faced each other as starters in an NFL Playoff game. TJ knows the entire offense and he's shown the guts to win games at the end.

My head says Delhomme. He may not know the entire playbook, but he looked pretty good playing with a bunch of backups against the Titan's 1st string. His past couple of years in Carolina and Cleveland were terrible and he showed hints of that with his ball security. But he's been to the Super Bowl and he's shown at times in his career that he could make things happen.

I couldn't vote either way.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012   #14
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 274452 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

I have a related question - and maybe it needs it's own thread - but who would you keep as the third guy next season?

Leinart or Delhomme?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012   #15
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I have a related question - and maybe it needs it's own thread - but who would you keep as the third guy next season?

Leinart or Delhomme?
Delhomme easy only b/c the little i saw of lienart in the jags game i didn't like. Specifically, i didn't think he looked like a guy who'd been in this system for a year plus; he looked uncomfortable...that's troubling in & of itself. Contrast that with how TJ played when he 1st got in & now Delhomme, its' almost night & day imo. Of course too, his arm was still on little league pop-gun status & that this is the 2nd time he's broken his collarbone since he's been in the league...not good.

People talk about schaub... But just based on what has happened to Lienart thus far in his career here & in AZ, this dude is mentally soft, physically soft & even throws soft... the poster child for someone who can't survive in the NFL at qb.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012   #16
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post

Leinart or Delhomme?
Daylight come and me want Delhomme.

Not even close. I wasn't rooting for a Matt Leinart injury, but let's just say that but by the time he had played awhile in that Jags game and got drilled into the field...it was time to say goodbye to the Leinart era here. Seriously.

The guy was soooooo slow with everything. Supposedly, he had been working A LOT on his footwork. I didn't see it; he was laboriously slogging back on his drop backs. His throwing motion looked half-speed. I mean, Yates came in and the ball is out of his hand and on its way...he can scramble and get yards.

Delhomme might not want to come back. I don't have proof, but it just doesn't seem he wants to be 3rd QB. Neither will Garcia. Just have a hunch that they both won't want to come back as 3rd QB, maybe not even as 2nd QB.
Old 01-03-2012   #17
Nitrofish
Pastafarian

Rep Power: 102617 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
Is it because of his TD drive at the end of the game we're making Delhomme's performance seem better than it actually was? I think he was solid, and he performed better than I expected, but he didn't have such a good game to make me start to think we should start him over Yates.

Take a look again at the offense's performance while he was in. 45% of the time we went 3 & out. In actuality, he only drove the offense down the field in one series (Series 7). The big play in series 4 was a penalty, and series 5 was due to the long run by Tate. I give him alot of credit for the last drive, but it did start on the TEN 36.

Series 1
3 & out

Series 2
3 & out

Series 3
Delhomme fumble

Series 4
52 yard FG
3-4 for 31 yards, big play was an unneccessary roughness penalty

Series 5
37 yard FG
Mostly due to the Tate 56 yard run. Delhomme completed one screen pass for 9 yards.

Series 6
3 & out

Series 7
Rackers 22 yard FG
3-4 for 60 yards

Series 8
3 & out

Series 9
3 & out

Series 10
Nice 40 yard completion to Johnson, but went 3 & out right after that.

Series 11
Nice drive to get game winning TD, but he actually only had to go 36 yards

Now I'm not trying to take anything away from Delhomme's performance, I think he played solid. But he didn't have such a great performance that we should start him over our starter of the past 5 weeks and been with us the whole season.
I think you're forgetting one important thing here. Delhomme was playing with the 2's and 3's, not the starters all though some were in there. His passes looked good especially for someone sittin' on his ranch all year.

I agree Kubiak knows what he is doing and I am behind him and whomever is playing QB. I too would hate to have to make this decision. We all know Kubiak is a loyal guy and while I admire that in him, sometimes he takes it too far.

In any case I do not think it will matter. Yates is injured and one good sack from being lost for the game so Delhomme may see action anyway. I sure hope I am wrong, but those D Linemen are going to be after Yates and that shoulder every snap.

Old 01-03-2012   #18
Nitrofish
Pastafarian

Old 01-03-2012   #19
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4924 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
There is a reason why Jake Delholme was not even a backup on an NFL team and was available for us late in a season.
I can agree that Yates should start, and agree Kubiak probably knows what's best here (he's the QB guru), but i don't think your take quoted above really says anything...

Like i said earlier, we're talking 3 vs. 4 here, not 1 or even 2 vs. 4... Just as there's a reason Delhomme was on the street, there's also a reason Yates was a 3rd string QB... Neither of their situations would suggest greatness...

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012   #20
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 378037 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkcookie View Post
I can agree that Yates should start, and agree Kubiak probably knows what's best here (he's the QB guru), but i don't think your take quoted above really says anything...

Like i said earlier, we're talking 3 vs. 4 here, not 1 or even 2 vs. 4... Just as there's a reason Delhomme was on the street, there's also a reason Yates was a 3rd string QB... Neither of their situations would suggest greatness...
Yates was third string QB on the roster because he's a late round rookie. This team did not need a starting QB, so they picked him up for development. Somebody would have drafted TJ in the next couple of rounds. We have already read the news stories.

Delhomme was not employed because he is not that good now. Otherwise, he'd be on someone's roster as a backup. It's not rocket science here. The Texans were desperate and took whatever they could get.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read