Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-18-2011   #1
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 70974 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected
Default A LeSTAR (Jean) is born

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...6-2543889a8bdf

didnt see this posted, i liked the article.

It took Lestar Jean’s mother two attempts to get her infant son’s birth certificate properly recorded.

“The people doing my birth certificate thought it was an error,” said Jean, whose first name is pronounced Leh-STAR. “My mom had to send it back in.”

Jump forward a couple of decades, and we find Jean trying to convince the Texans they didn’t make a mistake when they signed him to a free agent contract after the end of the NFL lockout.

He’s no longer just a number after two weeks at the Texans training camp. He’s caught the eye of coach Gary Kubiak in practice and had a couple of fancy catches for 53 yards in Saturday’ 20-16 preseason victory over the New York Jets.

It was enough to get Jean more playing time for Saturday’s preseason game at Reliant Stadium against the New Orleans Saints.

“He’s done good, and his reps have picked up,” Kubiak said on Thursday. “He’s going to play more in the game. More of a load came at him today, but he handled it good.”

Jean grew up in Florida and played football at Florida Atlantic, where he earned a degree last December in criminal justice. He’d make an impressive law enforcement officer at a muscular 6-3, 216.

Still, he’d prefer a long career with the Texans.

“I just come to work and try to do enough that they’ll want to keep me,” Jean said.

Life is tough for a street free agent, and especially this year because of the lengthy lockout period that forced Jean and other undrafted players to wait five months before finding a team and a hope.

“It was a long wait,” he said. “I was just working out hoping a team would pick me up. That got kind of boring. I just wanted to play football and compete. I kept working out and staying in shape.”

After the lockout ended, seven pro teams – the Texans, Ravens, Vikings, Bills, Packers and Dolphins – inquired about signing Jean. He decided his best shot was with the Texans.

“They told me they were only going to sign two other receivers, and the others were signing nine or 10,” Jean said. “They were honest with me, and I felt I had the best opportunity here.”

Jean is still fighting a numbers game to catch on with the Texans. There are 11 wide receivers in camp.

He has improved his chances of at least a spot of the practice squad.

“He’s making some strides,” wide receivers coach Larry Kirksey said. “He’s had a lot to learn in two weeks, and then he goes out the other night and makes some plays. He’s got a good head on his shoulders and he’s got some athletic ability. He does a nice job adjusting to the ball.

“He has some skill, but he has a way to go. He’s learning on the run. So far, he’s done a nice job, and we need to see him improve in the next ballgame.”

On the heels of his eyebrow-raising performance on Monday, Jean at least has fans and media scrambling for the pronunciation guide to find out who was making those big catches against the Jets.

“I felt good about it,” Jean said. “I was ready. I’ve been working every day. I wasn’t surprised. I want to keep doing it so they’ll keep me around. In college, I helped my team by making big plays. I just go play and make plays to help my team win.

“It’s a blessing, to come from where I came from to get to this spot, it’s a blessing.”

What Kubiak hasn’t seen with his own eyes, Texans defensive backs have told him.

"He’s a big-body kid, and I’ve had some of the DBs come over to me and say, ‘Hey, Coach, that guy is tough to handle,’” Kubiak said. “He’s got a lot of ability. He’s got that big body. There’s going to be two young receivers on this team, so it’ll be interesting to see who they are.”

Jean could become another diamond in the rough unearthed by general manager Rick Smith.

“I told the guys you only get a certain amount of draft picks, so you have to have all those guys evaluated and ranked,” Smith said. “We just felt good about his ability, and he’s come in and done a nice job.

“In the salary cap era and the free agency era, it’s important to find players that aren’t your high draft picks that are able to come in and are capable of making an impact on your team. That’s how you round out a solid roster.”

The Texans opened with five wide receivers last season, and Jean has plenty of competition ahead of him to join that group. Andre Johnson, Kevin Walter and Jacoby Jones are locks. Dorin Dickerson leads the rest of the pack that includes Jean, Derrick Townsel, Terrence Toliver and Jeff Maehl.

Meaningless preseason games? Not to Jean and the others.

“I’m just trying to do something to make them want to keep me around,” Jean said.
EllisUnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011   #2
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171454 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: A Lesters (Jean) is born

Learn to spell .... Its LeStar Jean.

Edit: I just love givin you a hard time

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011   #3
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Rep Power: 70974 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post

i'm lucky i spelled that right i'm out of town on a lap top and everytime i look up the cursor moves and i am typing in the middle of an already typed sentence haha oh well
Old 08-18-2011   #4
TdotTexas2Step
All Pro

Rep Power: 1975 TdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we have to realistically temper our expectations.

Reports were coming out that Mario was unstoppable because now he could pick up some steam with a running head start, yet he (in some people's mind) failed to show anything of substance against NY

Then you have the rook Harris who also had rave reviews and also didn't look too spectacular in the first game.

However, the logical thing to do is remember that it's only one game, and in Mario's case - only a minimum number of snaps - and the fact that they haven't had much time to learn. Who knows, maybe in the next game, Mario gets a couple of sacks while Harris gets a pick. We should keep the big picture in mind in regards to personnel.

The flipside applies to Jean. He had a nice game against the Jets, but if he struggles this week, we can't all jump off the bandwagon.
TdotTexas2Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011   #5
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post

Yeah.

A LeSTAR is born kinda sounds better.

LoL.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011   #6
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: A LeSTAR (Jean) is born

Quote:
Originally Posted by TdotTexas2Step View Post
The flipside applies to Jean. He had a nice game against the Jets, but if he struggles this week, we can't all jump off the bandwagon.
I think this is a case of seeing Jean make noise during camp, then back it up under the lights. Yes, Lestar's playing against guys who are likely to be cut. But, the talent is undeniably there. I'd venture that if Jean had been a 2nd or 3rd round pick, he would be getting even more hype than garnered thus far.
Old 08-18-2011   #7
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I think this is a case of seeing Jean make noise during camp, then back it up under the lights. Yes, Lestar's playing against guys who are likely to be cut. But, the talent is undeniably there. I'd venture that if Jean had been a 2nd or 3rd round pick, he would be getting even more hype than garnered thus far.
yeah i wonder why he was undrafted though. i mean we all see the talent so how come noone else saw it ?
Sponsored links
Old 08-18-2011   #8
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
yeah i wonder why he was undrafted though. i mean we all see the talent so how come noone else saw it ?
I think Jean is a classic late bloomer. He didn't start until his junior year at a small non-BCS school. Lestar didn't put up good numbers until his senior season. And his combine and pro day numbers were so-so. Put it together, and Jean had the resume of a late pick/free agent. Now, he's showing that he may be more.
Old 08-18-2011   #9
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 199795 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Small school talent. He's basically another flavor of Jacoby Jones except much, much slower. He only ran 4.59 at the combine and for a small school guy, that's not going to cut it.

The question was going to be whether he could even play with the big boys.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011   #10
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Small school talent. He's basically another flavor of Jacoby Jones except much, much slower. He only ran 4.59 at the combine and for a small school guy, that's not going to cut it.

he dont really look slow, of course i havent seen him against a 1st string defense
Old 08-19-2011   #11
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171454 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

Speed isnt everything ... Route running , making crisp cuts gaining seperation , good hands , proper technique attacking the ball at its highest point and body control can all be as critical if not moreso than straight line speed.

Some guy's are great athletes , some are football players .... This cat is a football player.
Sure , the really great players are both top flight athletes and have that football player in them too ....

Old 08-19-2011   #12
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Jeans field speed is faster than his forty indicates and he has made plays against all kinds of competition.

He also takes good angles on the field.
Old 08-19-2011   #13
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 18132 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

What's the best comparison to Jean? Late bloomer like Miles Austin?
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011   #14
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 75563 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

As noted Jean is perhaps a 1/4 step slower than Jacoby but the difference being LeStar Jean CATCHES everything thrown even close to him. That's the common remark made about him. He CATCHES the ball most every time. Big difference IMO.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011   #15
spurstexanstros
Texans Rising

Rep Power: 2316 spurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respected

to the bad pun of a thread

I did like the guy from what I saw, I liked how on the slants he reached out and grabbed the ball instead of waiting for it to get to body. I think catching it like that makes it harder for dbs to poke it out like they do when WR waits till it gets into the body.

i like em the more Wideouts the merrier.
spurstexanstros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012   #16
Rey
Hall of Fame

Man, Jean looks beautiful in those clips. I remember watching them last year and for some reason they look even better now.

I think he easily makes the roster and pushes for playing time.

I think we may end up carrying 6 or 7 receivers. I think if these guys step up Walter may be a surprise cut. There is talent at that wr position. Going to be tough for the fringe guys to make it.

Going to be some really tough cuts all over the place.
Old 05-07-2012   #17
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I can remember the excitement I had thinking Dorin was going to do so well.
Old 05-11-2012   #18
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I can remember the excitement I had thinking Dorin was going to do so well.
Ugh , what a letdown that was ....

Old 05-12-2012   #19
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

They should've tried Dickerson at H-back or FB instead of splitting him out wide.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012   #20
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22721 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

All of this hype for an unproven, small college, wide receiver because of his pre-season performance sounds eerily familiar?

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41272
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read