Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-18-2005   #1
Alex
Rookie

Default Texans interested in Moreno ?

Quote:
The Texans, who officially announced the signing of linebacker Frank Chamberlin on Thursday, also might be interested in linebacker Zeke Moreno, who has spent his four-year career in San Diego where he started 16 of 57 games. Moreno finished last season on injured reserve because of a shoulder injury.
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory...sfront/3091182

Last year he played only 9 games due to an injury (12 tackles). He played his best season in 2003 :
16 G (13 Starts) 96 TK (79 So, 17 Assist.) 2 Sacks 2 Fum. Forced

Last edited by Alex; 03-18-2005 at 07:15 AM.
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005   #2
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

the more linebackers we sign and bring in the less likely we will be drafting one in this years draft
Old 03-18-2005   #3
cadahnic
All Pro

I disagree. In a 3-4 system like ours we can never have to many linebackers. I just dont understand why we are not looking at some guys other than fillers. I like Anthony Simmons and I dont think he will cost as much as Greenwood. Zeke Moreno is not bad but he is at best a filler and special teams star for us. But maybe he will due for us like Foley did for them
cadahnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005   #4
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadahnic
I just dont understand why we are not looking at some guys other than fillers.
Because we still need to upgrade our depth. You cannot spend a ton of money on backups in this league, so you try to find quality guys that are usually not impact guys.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005   #5
Sarg01
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro
the more linebackers we sign and bring in the less likely we will be drafting one in this years draft
I disagree. The more linebackers we look at the more clearly the front office is telling us they're not content with our linebacker situation. Thus the more likely we are to draft someone.

It would be different if these guys were anything more than depth acquisitions, but we don't seem to be looking at that calibre of player.
Sarg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005   #6
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

It looks like we are looking at guys a tad quicker than the first combination of Sharper/Foreman. Zeke plays in the 230's as well as Greewood does. Moreno would probably be brought in to back up Greenwood. He has a good background when it comes to being a team leader and is probably a good guy in the locker room too. He was the So Cal Trojans Most Valuable Player and team captain.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005   #7
cadahnic
All Pro

Vinny at least old age has not hurt your mind. I think we are definately adding more speed to our defense. Our secondary carried us last season and I have to believe the Texans Front Office is thinking if we can get either the LB or D-line at least up to that level then we are a dangerous teams, regardless of inconsistency in our offense. Moreno is a great locker room guy and he is great on ST and as a backup
cadahnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-18-2005   #8
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

So how much faster are our LBs going to be this year compaired to last year?
Old 03-18-2005   #9
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd be for this signing as long as he doesn't cost too much...The way I see it, the only ILB back-up we have that has any chance of seeing the field is Polk, so depth here is needed...
Old 03-18-2005   #10
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 251670 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Our secondary carried us last season
That I kind of agree with. Our secondary got smoked some last year but considering the amount of pressure we got with our pass rush (seems a shame to call it that) I thought they did a hell of a job. If they'd had anyone consistently making the QB work for his money then the Texans secondary would have been very, very good.

The Texans are getting them some speed. They don't need it on the DL all that much but if they're going to conceed it there then the LB's absolutely have to have it.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005   #11
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

lord is that all we are gonna use on defense is LBs ?
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005   #12
BigDTexansFan
All Pro

Quote:
Vinny at least old age has not hurt your mind. I think we are definately adding more speed to our defense. Our secondary carried us last season and I have to believe the Texans Front Office is thinking if we can get either the LB or D-line at least up to that level then we are a dangerous teams, regardless of inconsistency in our offense. Moreno is a great locker room guy and he is great on ST and as a backup

Got to agree with you as I recall we hardly got any pressure on QBs and as I recall several games QB got hurried and an occasional knockdown but no sacks. If we can get more pressure make RB and TE stay to protect we can use our secondary to shut down passing game
BigDTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005   #13
eyedok
Rookie

Question Whats up with LB Moreno sign up???

Has anyone heard whats going on the LB Zeke Moreno contract? I heard they were close to signing him but he still isn't listed in the roster. We could use a veteran linebacker like Moreno with experience and quickness in a 3-4 type defense. We can't wait for a rookie to develop into this position. I think Moreno would be a good fit and even a starter along side Greenwood and add the depth we need in the LB dept.
eyedok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005   #14
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 98311 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

moreno is strictly a back up, if even that

- Edmund Burke
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005   #15
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

With a muni pop of 33 % Hispanic, the Texans need to get a couple players
with a surname like Moreno, Lopez, or Gonzalos. Its what called entrepreneureal affirmative action.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005   #16
eyedok
Rookie

Hec with affirmative action!! I hope the Texan organization is making their decisions based on talent and future potential and not on surname. Although I agree; Moreno would fit perfectly on both fronts!!
Old 04-10-2005   #17
eyedok
Rookie

Based on what? Playing in the shadows of Junior Seau and successfully replacing Junior in 2003 for the Chargers; I think he has been undervalued. If you really look at his development from the point of quickness and instinctual talent (not just speed on the 40 yard run) ; I think he has come a long way. I think the fans regurgitate what they read and not what they see and/or should see.
Old 04-10-2005   #18
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

all i know on his situation is that he is still on the chargers roster and not on ours
Old 04-11-2005   #19
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, what is the deal with that? Is he on our team or what??
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005   #20
Shamrock
Rookie

Does anyone know if Moreno really did or didn't sign with the Texans?
Shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read