Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-03-2010   #1
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default (Alan Burge column) Tate a happy Texan; Ryan Mathews "scared" he'd be a Texan

Well, well, well.....Is it possible that we might have some extra incentive to shut down Ryan Mathews when we play the Chargers? I think Pollard, Cushing, and a few others will make him wish he HAD been a Texan.

Quote:
It's not like me to go TMZ on you, but while scrolling through my news feeds last night I ran across an interesting quote by the San Diego Chargers first round pick Ryan Mathews.

You may recall that Mathews, the junior running back from Fresno State, was reported by some to be a first round draft target of the Texans.

But it doesn't appear that Mathews was all that keen on the idea of becoming a Texan according to a recent article in San Diego Entertainer Magazine.

“All the talk about Houston and stuff, it really started to scare me and everything,” said Mathews in the article.

Now before you blow up the comments section under that article, keep in mind that we have little or no context for what Mathews said and why he said it. click here to read the full story...

My take on this: He wanted to stay in California, and that's cool. But the main issue here, IMO, is that we missed out on a running back (Mathews) who might not have wanted to be here.

Sure, he could have come around once he saw the $$$ and got over the initial "pain" of not being selected by the Chargers. Nonetheless, it's an issue of Tate being thrilled (just to play at all!) and Mathews being picky.

Whether this is manufactured drama or not, it's still SOMETHING to think about and build up as we get going and eventually face the Chargers.
Old 05-03-2010   #2
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 201896 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: (Alan Burge column) Tate a happy Texan; Ryan Mathews "scared" he'd be a Texan

Locker room bulletin board stuff only. Kid preferred to play in home state. Cool. He should get same response any RB gets "knocked you on your butt, didn't we? Oh, BTW, welcome to Houston."

Tate will sign big contract to play in a system that he should excell in with a team that wants and needs him desperately? Again a no brainer.
Old 05-03-2010   #3
No More 8-8's
Veteran

Rep Power: 136 No More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: (Alan Burge column) Tate a happy Texan; Ryan Mathews "scared" he'd be a Texan

Probably taken out of context. San Diego is his favorite team, so of course we wants to play for them. Also LT was his idol growing up. There was alot of reasons for him to fear being picked away from his ideal location.

With that in mind, I hope Cushing breaks Ryan Mathews jaw.
No More 8-8's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010   #4
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 121746 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by No More 8-8's View Post
Probably taken out of context. San Diego is his favorite team, so of course we wants to play for them. Also LT was his idol growing up. There was alot of reasons for him to fear being picked away from his ideal location.
Could have been a number of things - the SD connection being one of them, or he could have even been talking about being scared of dropping all the way down to #20, and that's very well how it could have turned out if SD hadn't traded up for him. (or it could have been that there was some reason he didn't want to play for the Texans).

Whatever the reason, I'm not losing any sleep over it.
Old 05-03-2010   #5
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

He was scared that he might end up a Texan.
Well I was scared that he might end up a Texan too.
I guess we both got a sigh of relief when that asshat went to SD

oh and I am really surprised that a Fresno State player is such a prima Donna little girl. I guess it must be something in the water there that has them churn up so many garbage football professionals. The little puss will probably be on the IR with a hangmail or PMS by Week 3

Ryan Matthews, you suck
Old 05-03-2010   #6
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree with ChampionTexan. This is taken completely out of context. He was scared of dropping to pick #20, when he thought he could go much earlier. Thats millions of dollars he was scared of losing, not anything about houston imo
Old 05-03-2010   #7
Cush the Great
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
He was scared that he might end up a Texan.
Well I was scared that he might end up a Texan too.
I guess we both got a sigh of relief when that asshat went to SD

oh and I am really surprised that a Fresno State player is such a prima Donna little girl. I guess it must be something in the water there that has them churn up so many garbage football professionals. The little puss will probably be on the IR with a hangmail or PMS by Week 3

Ryan Matthews, you suck

Agreed. I was jumping up and down when the Chargers traded up and even though the lack of context might be the only thing making this a story count me in as someone wanting to see this guy get stumped hard by one of ours either way.

And I might end up way wrong with this assessment but give me Tate all day over another first round pick from Fresno State.
Cush the Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-03-2010   #8
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

It'd be similar to a guy from UT saying he was scared of all the talk about dropping to a California team but is happy to be selected by the Texans. Particularly if he grew up in Texas and since he played ball hours away from Houston and his idol growing up played for Houston.

I think Cushing should knock the piss out of him because he's an opponent, not because of his comments who make some fans booty hurt.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010   #9
Pocky
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Could have been a number of things - the SD connection being one of them, or he could have even been talking about being scared of dropping all the way down to #20, and that's very well how it could have turned out if SD hadn't traded up for him. (or it could have been that there was some reason he didn't want to play for the Texans).

Seriously.

Hey, there's a 8th grade football star at a local school in my city that said his favorite team is the Eagles. Let's all garner some black voodoo magic so he can break his leg and never get that slim chance to ever play against the Texans when he grows up!

No wonder people makes fun of us southern folks being 'angry rednecks'. Getting mad over some trivial shit like this. Bravo forum, bravo.
Pocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010   #10
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 129410 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocky View Post
Seriously.

Hey, there's a 8th grade football star at a local school in my city that said his favorite team is the Eagles. Let's all garner some black voodoo magic so he can break his leg and never get that slim chance to ever play against the Texans when he grows up!

No wonder people makes fun of us southern folks being 'angry rednecks'. Getting mad over some trivial shit like this. Bravo forum, bravo.
Might be a little over the top. I have not seen anyone "mad" over this. Just something to talk about and plead for time to fly.
Brain Cushing
JB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010   #11
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 718 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20

never wanted him in the first place, glad we got tate instead.
Old 05-04-2010   #12
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Damn, after watching that video of Tate crying his eyes out on draft night, I couldn't be happier to have him in the fold.

He's going to be the stud workhorse we've been in need of from day one and he's eager to please. I couldn't be happier for him and for us.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010   #13
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocky View Post
Seriously.

(sigh)

Typical.

This is for fun; nobody is "mad". I don't think anybody has even replied with a post that comes anywhere near being representative of what you're projecting this thread to be.

I know you're new and all, but you don't have to do this in order to prove anything or fit in. Go back and look at how many people in this thread kept it on-topic...until YOU came along and threw personal jabs at posters on this thread.
Old 05-06-2010   #14
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1688 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Then there's Ben Tate, who was crushed when he thought the Texans had already picked someone else. And then broke down in tears when Coach Kubiak called him and told him he'd been selected. He wants to do everything he can to make the Texans a winner. I'm a legit Tate fan now and will be cheering my ARSE off for this guy to succeed.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=897632350468
DerekLee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010   #15
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekLee1 View Post
Then there's Ben Tate, who was crushed when he thought the Texans had already picked someone else. And then broke down in tears when Coach Kubiak called him and told him he'd been selected. He wants to do everything he can to make the Texans a winner. I'm a legit Tate fan now and will be cheering my ARSE off for this guy to succeed.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=897632350468
It seems to me that Tate is truly grateful to have this chance in the nfl, feels blessed to have made it and is hungry to succeed, work as hard as he can, and do well for himself, his teammates, his fans and I get the sense he feels like he has to prove himself and that Kubiak won't regret it. That's the kind of player I love.

[/runonsentence]
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010   #16
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Who cares hes been playing hot and cold today

What worries me this games is Gates and SPoiles
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010   #17
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Guess who is also Back

Kris Brown and Travis Jackson

I hope KB is the kicker in a clutch KICK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010   #18
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post

This was my take on it!

Not a big deal at all. He was probably discussing nerves on a draft day where a yound kid was looking to get picked by a team that said they wanted him.
Old 05-22-2010   #19
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

NFL Live Video

If you listen to Trey Wingo we have Ryan Mathews. Since when did we draft Ryan Mathews to help our running game? Marcellus Wiley's expression is exactly my reaction. Big brain fart, Trey Wingo.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010   #20
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando View Post
NFL Live Video

If you listen to Trey Wingo we have Ryan Mathews. Since when did we draft Ryan Mathews to help our running game? Marcellus Wiley's expression is exactly my reaction. Big brain fart, Trey Wingo.
Did he call us the Oilers, too? I think Mayock did on draft day.

How about our GM, Mr. Richard Smith? Did he mention him?

Oh, but they know the name of Brian Cushing don't they? Jerks.

Wingo is Top 3 in my book of azzhats. Salisbury and Paul Maguire round out the Top 3. Deion Sanders is honorable mention, first alternate.

Here's the lineup for Hall of Fame Azzhat NFL Analysts:

Maguire, one of the biggest Oilers hater analysts evah:

Wingo, The DingoBat:

And Salisbury SteakFace:

Deion doesn't get his photo posted because he has the distinction of having played for the Cowboys.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read