Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-08-2005   #1
Texans32
Rookie

Default improving the defense

i was in a thread talking about beefing up the safety spot, then i left and couldn't find it again so i started another one. i was talking about signing either Idrees Bashir of the colts or Adrian Wilson of the cardinals. both are great safeties and could greatly help the team. any thoughts?
Texans32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005   #2
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

I'm not sure but I think that Wilson signed an extention.
Old 03-08-2005   #3
Texans32
Rookie

if he did, bashir is still a great safety and only 25 or 26 i think
Old 03-08-2005   #4
Texans32
Rookie

no one else has a thought huh?
Old 03-08-2005   #5
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans32
if he did, bashir is still a great safety and only 25 or 26 i think
How is he an upgrade on Coleman? He is getting beat out of his job by 2004 rookie Bob Sanders and in 4 years in the league has 5 total INT's (none last year) returned for a combined 13 yards and a total of 15 passes defensed (one last yaer). Last year Coleman had 2 INT's for 113 yards and 9 passes defensed.
Old 03-08-2005   #6
Texans32
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
How is he an upgrade on Coleman? He is getting beat out of his job by 2004 rookie Bob Sanders and in 4 years in the league has 5 total INT's (none last year) returned for a combined 13 yards and a total of 15 passes defensed (one last yaer). Last year Coleman had 2 INT's for 113 yards and 9 passes defensed.
coleman is on the decline of his career. let him play alongside coleman and rotate in glenn earl for coleman and improve him to maybe start next year
Old 03-08-2005   #7
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans32
coleman is on the decline of his career. let him play alongside coleman and rotate in glenn earl for coleman and improve him to maybe start next year
No way. Stick with Coleman.

Just because Coleman's name wasn't called as much last year (due to the fact he switched to saftey), he stll had 7 picks in 2003, 2 picks last year and a touchdown.
People also tend to forget that the Texans defense held opponents scoreless for 13 quarters in a row at the very end of the season ( if you do the math, that's 3 games, one quarter). Things started to work.

The only thing that didn't work is our linebackers getting to the quarterback...and it looks like Casserly is adressing this issue already.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-08-2005   #8
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730

earl already "beat out" brown, the SS. brown was a vet who wasnt playing great but still for a rookie to come in and do that instead of giving up the position to a different backup is still good.

no sheer guy and no t davis guy, keep in earl! the position is mainly for run support but is sometimes asked to cover TEs and play the pass. FS and SS are different and colemans production is best at FS to use his coverage skills. coleman moving back and forth and around would be wasting talent on the bench. lets go after a FA we know we will get good production out of that fits the texans.
Old 03-08-2005   #9
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

I don't see safety being such a big weakness for the Texans in 2005. Coleman and Earl should both be more comfortable after a year of experience. Coleman at FS is a pretty good ball hawk although he isn't a big hitter. Glenn Earl is an intriguing player. If he develops like I think he can we just might have a punisher in our secondary, a guy who is an extra linebacker on running downs and a hard hitter on passes in the middle of the field.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005   #10
Texans32
Rookie

i still like the idea of getting bashir or wilson to start and let earl and coleman compete for that other safety spot
Old 03-08-2005   #11
dhaNim
Rookie

i actually like the possibility of taking Ernest Shazor on Michigan in the second round to fix that issue. he might be gone by then though.
dhaNim is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read