Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2010   #1
BOLIO
Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 20
Rep Power: 0 BOLIO was voted MVPBOLIO was voted MVPBOLIO was voted MVP
Default BOLIO's 7 round Texans Picks

1) Mathews RB - I like Dwyer better with the ball in his hands and think he could do for us next year what we needed this year. He can make tough yards and he can break a long one. However, I do feel Mathews is the most complete back for our system.

2) Lamarr Houston- I think he will be a better pro than Mccoy of OU. He was the best player on the field for Texas this year. Better than Kindle, Shipley or Mccoy. He could help out our DBs a lot.

3)JD Walton OC or Tennant from BC - I think either could work themselves into the rotation quickly if need be.

4 Marshall OG/OT TCU - I think he is a guard all the way and I like this kid a great deal. He could become a starter in this league for many years. Some may think it is early...not me.

5) Skinner S Maryland - Once we get this far down it is a real crapshoot. My theory is here we start to take guys who are big, strong, and fast and then see if they can play football.

5) Muckelroy OLB Texas - I think he will slide and he has some potential and physical skills.

6) Freddie Barnes WR Bowling Green - He has some abilities and would be a nice roll of the dice.

7) Jared Veldheer OT Hillsdale - SIZE SIZE and more SIZE. Practice squad and let's work it out.

I know it does not address CB. But the draft I was in the CB I coveted was taken in front of me several rounds. It gives you two starters in Mathews and Houston. It also gives you two guys in Walton and Marshall who could develop quickly. The rest are special teams players and projects. What do you think?

Last edited by BOLIO; 03-12-2010 at 07:44 PM. Reason: I forget to add why i didn't draft a CB
BOLIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010   #2
Lucky
Moderator
 
Lucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 13,440
Rep Power: 212249 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: BOLIO's 7 round Texans Picks

I'm going to tag on to Bolio's thread with my own 7 round mock. Partly because it starts out so similarly to Bolio's. Here is the method I used to make my selections:

I made a short list of the players I liked, the positions I felt the Texans needed to fill, and what round I felt they would be available. I haven't seen many Southern Central Lower Slobovia State games, so some of the lesser known prospects may be off my list. I determined the Texans pick locations using GBN draft report's draft order and AdamJT13's compensatory pick projection. Then I went off CBS Sports draft rankings (they rank the top 2660 prospects...wow) to decide who who be on the board at which selection. And a mock drafting I went...

1st Round (Pick #20) - Ryan Mathews - RB -Fresno State. With the rumors of Slaton's injury prognosis, combined with the Texans lack of interest in the FA class, RB has become the number one priority on this team. Of all of the backs in this draft, Mathews seems to be the best fit in this offense, as well as perhaps the most versatile in this draft. I would have strongly considered DT Dan Williams. But, he was off the board at #16.

2nd Round (Pick#51) - Lamarr Houston - DT - Texas
. Again, great minds think alike . Maybe it's too high for Houston, but he just makes plays every time I watch him. And the Texans need someone on the inside that can make plays. I think Houston plays the run well, too, despite being a converted DE. I was strongly considering CB here, but there were so many left that were bunched up in my ratings that I felt I would have better chance finding one at #81 than I would a DT (planet theory in effect).

3rd Round (Pick# 81) - Perrish Cox - CB/KR - Oklahoma State. I finally took a corner. And I don't see a big dropoff from those guys taken in the first, to Cox. He's an electric athlete who made a lot of plays in the top passing conference in college football. Plus, he's a dynamic return man. His combine 40 time was on the slow side, but I have to question some of those results from that day (see Taylor Mays official time/video). Cox may not be squeaky clean, but that's why he's possibly available in the 3rd round. With Cox still on the board, I didn't really consider anyone else as he both filled a need and provided value.

4th Round (Pick# 118) - Eric Olsen - C/G - Notre Dame. This is more of an attitude pick, than what the computer has to say. Olsen may not be a good fit in the traditional ZBS. But, he's tough, smart, and brings an attitude to the field. I think that's a toughness that is lacking with this team, especially on offense. I think Pollard and Cushing have begun a transformation to a tougher attitude on defense. Maybe a lineman like Olsen can inspire that in the offense. I also liked the Center out of NC State, Ted Larsen (former DT), and there were still some pretty good CBs left.

5th Round (Pick#149) - Myron Lewis - CB - Vanderbilt. I really wanted to find a FS prospect by now. But, I'm just not crazy about what's left. Lewis is a rangy, athletic SEC corner who could project to FS in the NFL. Either way, he's good value for the 5th round. I wondered why Donavan Warren was still available, but just didn't see him as a good fit with the Texans (who want more physical CBs).

6th Round (Pick #183) - Zac Robinson - QB - Oklahoma State. I'm not wild about the QBs in this draft. But, I really like Robinson as a potential backup QB. He has the athleticism usually associated with WCO QBs. And enough arm to keep defenses from rolling up their coverages. Robinson had a down senior year, however his number #1 target (Dez Bryant) was ruled ineligible early on. I think backup QB is a hole on this team, and Robinson (with Kubiak's tutelage) could be ready in a year or so.

6th Round (Pick #193) - Emmanuel Sanders- WR - SMU. He doesn't fit the profile of a WCO WR. But, Sanders has been nothing but productive since he stepped on the field for the Mustangs. Also, an excellent punt returner who brings the type of added value a David Anderson lacks.

7th Round (Pick #223) - Hunter Lawrence - K - Texas. He seems to be a good kicker. Made a big kick in the Big 12 championship. And he's not Kris Brown. That's enough for me.

Priority Free Agents

Tony Washington - OT - Abilene Christian.
Has 1st round computer numbers, with little experience. He will be drafted, but wasn't among the top 255 players on the CBS board. I think the Texans will bring in a LT project type, in this case it's Washington.

Brody Eldridge - TE/C - Oklahoma. If the Texans are in the need of a blocking TE, this guy fills the bill. Could bulk up and wind up on the offensive line.

Eryk Anders - LB - Alabama. Was a productive player on a very talented Tide defense. Probably an overachiever, but the Texans could use a few of those.
__________________
“We’re looking for a coach that...works with great energy and enthusiasm and very positive in his approach.” - Bob McNair
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010   #3
painekiller
Hall of Fame
 
painekiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: On the West Belt
Age: 52
Posts: 2,063
Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: BOLIO's 7 round Texans Picks

I'll tag on also:

1st Round (Pick #20) - Dan Williams DT Tennessee 6-2 327
how do you improve the pass defense and the run defense at the same time? A guy like Williams does this.

2nd Round (Pick#51) - Tyson Alualu DT California 6-3 295 Oops I did it again, if he is gone then Lamarr Houston DT Texas 6-3 305. Both are high motor guys who penetrate the backfield and disrupt plays.

3rd Round (Pick# 81) Amari Spievey CB Iowa 5-11 195 Solid against the run has a big upside, excellent special teamer.

4th Round (Pick# 118) - Mitch Petrus OG Arkansas 6-3 310 Great feet and solid upper body strength. Has the quickness to play LG in any system.

5th Round (Pick#149) - Marshall Newhouse OG TCU 6-4 319 Also has excellent feet, can play 4 position in a pinch, RG in our system.

6th Round (Pick #183) - Myron Lewis CB Vanderbilt 6-2 203 Has the size and speed to convert to Safety.

6th Round (Pick #193) - Lonyae Miller RB Fresno State 6-0 221 Played in one cut and go system in college

7th Round (Pick #223) - Andre Anderson RB Tulane 5-11 205 Solid back who is being over looked.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010   #4
badboy
Site Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clear Lake
Posts: 24,100
Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: BOLIO's 7 round Texans Picks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I'm going to tag on to Bolio's thread with my own 7 round mock. Partly because it starts out so similarly to Bolio's. Here is the method I used to make my selections:

I made a short list of the players I liked, the positions I felt the Texans needed to fill, and what round I felt they would be available. I haven't seen many Southern Central Lower Slobovia State games, so some of the lesser known prospects may be off my list. I determined the Texans pick locations using GBN draft report's draft order and AdamJT13's compensatory pick projection. Then I went off CBS Sports draft rankings (they rank the top 2660 prospects...wow) to decide who who be on the board at which selection. And a mock drafting I went...

1st Round (Pick #20) - Ryan Mathews - RB -Fresno State. With the rumors of Slaton's injury prognosis, combined with the Texans lack of interest in the FA class, RB has become the number one priority on this team. Of all of the backs in this draft, Mathews seems to be the best fit in this offense, as well as perhaps the most versatile in this draft. I would have strongly considered DT Dan Williams. But, he was off the board at #16.

2nd Round (Pick#51) - Lamarr Houston - DT - Texas
. Again, great minds think alike . Maybe it's too high for Houston, but he just makes plays every time I watch him. And the Texans need someone on the inside that can make plays. I think Houston plays the run well, too, despite being a converted DE. I was strongly considering CB here, but there were so many left that were bunched up in my ratings that I felt I would have better chance finding one at #81 than I would a DT (planet theory in effect).

3rd Round (Pick# 81) - Perrish Cox - CB/KR - Oklahoma State. I finally took a corner. And I don't see a big dropoff from those guys taken in the first, to Cox. He's an electric athlete who made a lot of plays in the top passing conference in college football. Plus, he's a dynamic return man. His combine 40 time was on the slow side, but I have to question some of those results from that day (see Taylor Mays official time/video). Cox may not be squeaky clean, but that's why he's possibly available in the 3rd round. With Cox still on the board, I didn't really consider anyone else as he both filled a need and provided value.

4th Round (Pick# 118) - Eric Olsen - C/G - Notre Dame. This is more of an attitude pick, than what the computer has to say. Olsen may not be a good fit in the traditional ZBS. But, he's tough, smart, and brings an attitude to the field. I think that's a toughness that is lacking with this team, especially on offense. I think Pollard and Cushing have begun a transformation to a tougher attitude on defense. Maybe a lineman like Olsen can inspire that in the offense. I also liked the Center out of NC State, Ted Larsen (former DT), and there were still some pretty good CBs left.

[B]5th Round (Pick#149) - Myron Lewis - CB - Vanderbilt.[/b] I really wanted to find a FS prospect by now. But, I'm just not crazy about what's left. Lewis is a rangy, athletic SEC corner who could project to FS in the NFL. Either way, he's good value for the 5th round. I wondered why Donavan Warren was still available, but just didn't see him as a good fit with the Texans (who want more physical CBs).

6th Round (Pick #183) - Zac Robinson - QB - Oklahoma State. I'm not wild about the QBs in this draft. But, I really like Robinson as a potential backup QB. He has the athleticism usually associated with WCO QBs. And enough arm to keep defenses from rolling up their coverages. Robinson had a down senior year, however his number #1 target (Dez Bryant) was ruled ineligible early on. I think backup QB is a hole on this team, and Robinson (with Kubiak's tutelage) could be ready in a year or so.

6th Round (Pick #193) - Emmanuel Sanders- WR - SMU. He doesn't fit the profile of a WCO WR. But, Sanders has been nothing but productive since he stepped on the field for the Mustangs. Also, an excellent punt returner who brings the type of added value a David Anderson lacks.

7th Round (Pick #223) - Hunter Lawrence - K - Texas. He seems to be a good kicker. Made a big kick in the Big 12 championship. And he's not Kris Brown. That's enough for me.

Priority Free Agents

Tony Washington - OT - Abilene Christian.
Has 1st round computer numbers, with little experience. He will be drafted, but wasn't among the top 255 players on the CBS board. I think the Texans will bring in a LT project type, in this case it's Washington.

Brody Eldridge - TE/C - Oklahoma. If the Texans are in the need of a blocking TE, this guy fills the bill. Could bulk up and wind up on the offensive line.

Eryk Anders - LB - Alabama. Was a productive player on a very talented Tide defense. Probably an overachiever, but the Texans could use a few of those.
I probably would have gone Warren over Lewis but doubt he is there in 5th. Also, Cox is good but am really worried that his choosing to party & miss two curfews says something about his maturity. I had him rated high 2nd round before that. He is saying the right things now but I'm not convinced.
__________________
I want to be able to recognize the difference between a "want" and a "need" and then I want to be satisfied with getting a need
badboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010   #5
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame
 
steelbtexan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Age: 52
Posts: 12,582
Rep Power: 116344 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: BOLIO's 7 round Texans Picks

It's not Smithiaks MO to draft guys like Cox.

They want smart guys that football means something to them.

The exception to this rule were the MW and JJ draft picks. Talent won out over love of the game. Both have a reputation as party guys.

Cox also has this reputation.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010   #6
badboy
Site Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clear Lake
Posts: 24,100
Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: BOLIO's 7 round Texans Picks

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
It's not Smithiaks MO to draft guys like Cox.

They want smart guys that football means something to them.

The exception to this rule were the MW and JJ draft picks. Talent won out over love of the game. Both have a reputation as party guys.

Cox also has this reputation.
Agreed & why I moved him off my board. Has good skills though.
__________________
I want to be able to recognize the difference between a "want" and a "need" and then I want to be satisfied with getting a need
badboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010   #7
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame
 
Ole Miss Texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 8,680
Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: BOLIO's 7 round Texans Picks

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
It's not Smithiaks MO to draft guys like Cox.

They want smart guys that football means something to them.

The exception to this rule were the MW and JJ draft picks. Talent won out over love of the game. Both have a reputation as party guys.

Cox also has this reputation.
Mario has a reputation as a party guy?
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-15-2010   #8
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame
 
steelbtexan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Age: 52
Posts: 12,582
Rep Power: 116344 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: BOLIO's 7 round Texans Picks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Mario has a reputation as a party guy?
Yep

A friend of mine saw Mario and Antonio out clubbing after the Arizona game. (loss)

He said they were S**t faced.

Maybe they were drowning their sorrows. LOL
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010   #9
badboy
Site Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clear Lake
Posts: 24,100
Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: BOLIO's 7 round Texans Picks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOLIO View Post
1) Mathews RB - I like Dwyer better with the ball in his hands and think he could do for us next year what we needed this year. He can make tough yards and he can break a long one. However, I do feel Mathews is the most complete back for our system.

2) Lamarr Houston- I think he will be a better pro than Mccoy of OU. He was the best player on the field for Texas this year. Better than Kindle, Shipley or Mccoy. He could help out our DBs a lot.

3)JD Walton OC or Tennant from BC - I think either could work themselves into the rotation quickly if need be.

4 Marshall OG/OT TCU - I think he is a guard all the way and I like this kid a great deal. He could become a starter in this league for many years. Some may think it is early...not me.

5) Skinner S Maryland - Once we get this far down it is a real crapshoot. My theory is here we start to take guys who are big, strong, and fast and then see if they can play football.

5) Muckelroy OLB Texas - I think he will slide and he has some potential and physical skills.

6) Freddie Barnes WR Bowling Green - He has some abilities and would be a nice roll of the dice.

7) Jared Veldheer OT Hillsdale - SIZE SIZE and more SIZE. Practice squad and let's work it out.

I know it does not address CB. But the draft I was in the CB I coveted was taken in front of me several rounds. It gives you two starters in Mathews and Houston. It also gives you two guys in Walton and Marshall who could develop quickly. The rest are special teams players and projects. What do you think?
Very solid first four imo. I like Walton & on earlier mocks had him in 3rd but now convinced he will go before our pick. 2nd best center in draft. Newhouse is my pick in 4th with some identified weaknesses such as not always finishing blocks but all are correctable. Good work.
__________________
I want to be able to recognize the difference between a "want" and a "need" and then I want to be satisfied with getting a need
badboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger