Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-03-2005   #1
Bayern
Veteran

Default Morlon Greenwood Signed!

I hear this guy is awesome and totall underrated

Greenwood signs five-year, $22.5 million deal

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...len&id=2004143

Last edited by Bayern; 03-03-2005 at 03:49 PM.
Bayern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005   #2
Sarg01
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayern

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...len&id=2004143
Sounds good. Perhaps even more significant, notice in the link that the Texans have already told Wong that he'll be moving inside this year?
Sarg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005   #3
Bayern
Veteran

Agreed on the move for Wong. We've all been waiting for the day Wong would move back inside. He's better there anyways. So now you got Peek, Greenwood, Sharper, Babin and Wong all rotating in and out of the linebacker positions. Excellent!
Old 03-03-2005   #4
jagsfanincanada
Veteran

And holy shz did you guys overpay him. $7 million signing bonus for an average LB? Wow. I don't want to hear any cracks about us overpaying for Hayward. At least Hayward makes plays.
jagsfanincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005   #5
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

This probably moves ILB down on our draft needs. I still wouldn't be surprised to see us take one though.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005   #6
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Actually it sounds like Wong is getting moved inside and Greenwood might move outside. So I guess this projects to:

Outside Babin (L), Greenwood (R)
Inside Wong, Sharper

with Foreman and Peek as the top backups. Not sure who would play left and right on the inside this season.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005   #7
LikeABoss
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 LikeABoss seems to be losing the respect of his peers
Thumbs up

This is good news, now the only thing we have to do is focus on improving the D-line and the CB position through the draft
Old 03-03-2005   #8
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know if this is good news or not. I'm not real familiar with this guy. He seems small for the outside (6' 238 lbs). Could be a play maker like Dat Nguyen though. I would rather have seen us pursue Hartwell or K. Bell.

Last edited by bckey; 03-03-2005 at 03:35 PM.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005   #9
Bayern
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey
I don't know if this is good news or not. I'm not real familiar with this guy. He seems small for the outside (6' 238 lbs). Could be a play maker like Dat Nguyen though. I would rather have seen us pursue Hartwell or K. Bell.
Again I really don't think we're using him on the outside, but if we do, he played it succesfully in Miami.
Old 03-03-2005   #10
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 31527 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Agreed on the move for Wong. We've all been waiting for the day Wong would move back inside. He's better there anyways. So now you got Peek, Greenwood, Sharper, Babin and Wong all rotating in and out of the linebacker positions. Excellent!
And don't forget Tim Cheatwood.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005   #11
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

I doubt Cheatwood will be subed in as regularly as those guys, he will probably get as much playing time as Charlie Anderson got last season.
Reddevil63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005   #12
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

We seem to be building a SPEED set of LBs. Good idea IMO.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005   #13
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 31527 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddevil63
I doubt Cheatwood will be subed in as regularly as those guys, he will probably get as much playing time as Charlie Anderson got last season.
Maybe that's how it will turn out. But I'm thinking it's going to be a knock-down, drag-out, free-for-all come training camp. I don't think anyone's position will be secure on day one.

Cheatwood - 6'-4", 260 lbs - developed some pass-rush skills up there in Canada. He is probably a more complete and well rounded player at this time than Peek.

One advantage Greenwood has over Cheatwood is probably speed. The only number I've managed to find on Cheatwood is an estimated 4.85 his senior year at Ohio State.

Should make for an interesting training camp.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005   #14
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1341 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

You're kidding, right? If this guy and Payne are the big offseason moves it's gonna be another long year.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005   #15
cadahnic
All Pro

This is a dumbass move by the Texans. I mean they have the opportunity to grab Derrick Johnson in the draft and the money they spent on Greenwood could have went to Kareem McKenzie the offensive tackle that we desperately need. He can also play guard. Greenwood is small and rangy, but he cannot get away from a block and in four years as a starter only last year did he finally get over 100 tackles. A terrible move and a complete reach by the Texans that is the worst move since drafting Babin instead of a big time saftey or OL.
cadahnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005   #16
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadahnic
This is a dumbass move by the Texans. I mean they have the opportunity to grab Derrick Johnson in the draft and the money they spent on Greenwood could have went to Kareem McKenzie the offensive tackle that we desperately need. He can also play guard. Greenwood is small and rangy, but he cannot get away from a block and in four years as a starter only last year did he finally get over 100 tackles. A terrible move and a complete reach by the Texans that is the worst move since drafting Babin instead of a big time saftey or OL.
Your right, ship em outta here. They obviously dont know what they are doing so LA can have its franchise!!!! *note blatant sarcasm*

Dude, these people get paid lots of money to make these decisions and Im willing to bet they know more than you do on the subject. Let it play out before we start calling it a bad move.
Reddevil63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005   #17
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6845 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddevil63
Let it play out before we start calling it a bad move.
I agree, you never know how a guy will react in a new system. We need to give this guy a few games or a season to show what he can do and how he will fit in before we label this move good or bad.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005   #18
cadahnic
All Pro

By the way Dude I have been doing scouting for years, and I get paid a good wage for it. I am just a big fan of the Texans because I am from Houston and played ball at A&M. I want to see them make smart moves not pass on good players and reach on bad ones. I also have waited years for the Houston to get a team and I am dont want to wait and listen to piss ant excuses about why they did not make the playoffs. We are getting rid or restructuring alot of contracts next year so we need to win now.
cadahnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005   #19
MojoX
Veteran

Rep Power: 447 MojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadahnic
By the way Dude I have been doing scouting for years, and I get paid a good wage for it. I am just a big fan of the Texans because I am from Houston and played ball at A&M. I want to see them make smart moves not pass on good players and reach on bad ones. I also have waited years for the Houston to get a team and I am dont want to wait and listen to piss ant excuses about why they did not make the playoffs. We are getting rid or restructuring alot of contracts next year so we need to win now.
Big freaking deal. So what, the internet scouts can't agree on the value of this move. I don't even think the real NFL team scouts would share a unified opinion. What we know for sure is that the Texans scouts and staff obviously like Greenwood. Since I don't much more about the guy than what I know from NFL2K5, I'll just trust the Texans on this one.

Here's some reality about free agency: you always overpay. Casserly has repeatedly said it. That is why the Texans try not to break the bank for the (fan) consensus top guys and tend to focus on the draft. This team is in no position to mortgage its future cap space just to win now. Look at NE. They usually don't make exciting offseason moves or throw crazy money at big name players. They usually puzzle people by signing seemingly average and obscure guys. But they win. That is what the Texans are doing. Getting players who fit their team best so they can win.
MojoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005   #20
MikeMc
All Pro

By the way, ILBs in a 3-4 are looked upon to shore up the run defense first, cover second, make plays third. Athletic/fast LBs succeed in the 3-4 D, so maybe the Texans brass wanted a LB that fits their system, not one that has looked good on paper.....besides, those Pro-Bowl players you mention:

Spikes, Suggs, Porter, and Brooking...they all play OLB! Porter & Suggs play OLB in a 3-4!

As for the ILBs from the Pro-Bowl:

AFC:
Lewis - 147 tkls, 1 sack, 1 FF, 0 INT
Farrior - 95 tkls, 3 sacks, 3 FF, 4 INTs
Bruschi - 120 tkls, 4 sacks, 2 FF, 3 INTs

NFC:
Dan Morgan - 102 tkls, 2 sacks, 1 FF, 2 INTs
Trotter - 61 tkls, 1 sack, 0 FF, 0 Int

So then Farrior is the stud in the bunch: Greenwood would be between Lewis and Trotter! According to numbers.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read