Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-30-2004   #1
TexSon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 TexSon was voted MVPTexSon was voted MVPTexSon was voted MVPTexSon was voted MVPTexSon was voted MVP
Default McCree Re-signed Today

Texans | McCree Re-signed - from www.KFFL.com
HoustonTexans.com reports the Houston Texans have re-signed restricted free agent SS Marlon McCree

Well, I for one am glad we got him locked up... should be an interesting battle between him and Coleman for starting FS. If Coleman pulls off the switch, McCree will be an excellent backup. We are finally starting to see some quality depth!
TexSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004   #2
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

well notice that they labeled McCree a SS...not FS...coleman is our starting FS now...but what could be the best position battle this offseason might be Brown, McCree, and Earl...but yes it is nice to see quality depth on our team
Old 04-30-2004   #3
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9693 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

didnt McCree play SS in Jacksonville?
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004   #4
DoCt3rJ
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to DoCt3rJ

I thought D.Darius has been their SS for awhile?
DoCt3rJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004   #5
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9693 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoCt3rJ
I thought D.Darius has been their SS for awhile?

yea, you're right. my mistake.
Old 04-30-2004   #6
TexSon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 TexSon was voted MVPTexSon was voted MVPTexSon was voted MVPTexSon was voted MVPTexSon was voted MVP

Yeah, I don't know what to make of the listing as a SS. Is the FS job Coleman's already, without any competition? If so, it seems kinda strange... are they convinced that Coleman will seamlessly adapt to the new position? Or is McCree gonna battle both Coleman and Brown (and Earl) for one or the other starting spots? Will be very entertaining to see how it all plays out.
Old 04-30-2004   #7
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

I dont think he will be anything but a backup thanks to the aquisition of Robinson and moving Coleman to FS.
Old 04-30-2004   #8
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

I want McCree to start and FS and Coleman at CB. Listen, we play in the AFC South where the base offense usually contains 3 WR. We need 3 good corners. McCree put up Pro Bowl type #s 2 years ago and is a very good FS. I would still like him to play, plus Coleman may not be back next year.

I wouldnt mind starting Coleman at FS in the base 34, but when we go to Nickel, Dime, etc. I want Coleman at CB and McCree at FS.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004   #9
TexSon
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottle-O-Bud
His transition will be seemless.
Hmmm... I'm not convinced. His tackling at times becomes very sloppy and for his size he isn't always that physical. He also at times has concentration lapses... which for the QB of the D can pose some problems. Of course every player has these problems occasionally. I think he has the potential to be a very good center field type safety... but he has some flaws in his game to work out. Hopefully he can easily adjust.
Old 05-02-2004   #10
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

well here at tech he was a FS...not a corner...and a very good one at that...keep in mind he's sloppiness as you put is do from lack of response time...as a safety that responce time increases...so i would think his transition should be seemless since he's played the position for years...he has the right size and speed for this position...as for corner his size was great but he did lack the 4th gear to keep up with the speed recievers...as a FS he should be a much improved player overall
Old 05-02-2004   #11
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

very true. personally, I thought our secondary wasn't as bad as the stats show. What I saw was basically a basic defense that was nothing more than a bend but don't break type. I say that I didn't think the secondary was that bad because we played with a DL that missed it's main players and QB's would have time to scan their options, tie their show and then throw. I don't care who you have back in the secondary, if you give an NFL qb that much time he will find the mistakes in coverage. Along with that, our shut down corner was injured on and off during the season.. That is alot to ask of a secondary that is in it's 2nd year of a system and McCree didn't come in until the start of the 2nd year. If I am not mistaken, with our lack of pressure, we played alot of zone.

Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004   #12
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro
well notice that they labeled McCree a SS...not FS...coleman is our starting FS now...but what could be the best position battle this offseason might be Brown, McCree, and Earl...but yes it is nice to see quality depth on our team
I wouldn't put too much weight in the SS label. kffl is a good general news source, but that is exactly the kind of mistake/typo they would make rather than some kind of insider info.
Old 04-30-2004   #13
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4640 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

McCree was a SS for the Jags and got on the wrong side of Fox's team plan. Had very good numbers the previouse season, but Fox wanted someone else. I suspect he might be our SS if Coleman is moved, otherwise he will be the FS. I don't see Brown being able to keep him out of the line up.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004   #14
Guid2000
Rookie

Isn't it nice to finally have more quality DBs than there are positions in the base package-depth is finally coming along. This is a good signing. Heck we will even have a solid dime when everyone is healthy.
Glen
Coleman
Robinson
McCree
Brown
Earl
We need this with the CO-MVPs in the division. Leftwich (sp?) will keep getting better too.
Guid2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004   #15
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783
McCree was a SS for the Jags and got on the wrong side of Fox's team plan. Had very good numbers the previouse season, but Fox wanted someone else. I suspect he might be our SS if Coleman is moved, otherwise he will be the FS. I don't see Brown being able to keep him out of the line up.

so i was right the first time
Old 05-01-2004   #16
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9

McCree was a FS for the Jags, but he was expected to take over at SS when Darius left through free agency. McCree stated that SS was his natural position and he was looking forward to going back. The only problem with that was that McCree was let go by the Jags before Darius left, and then the Texans signed him to play FS. With the drafting of Robinson, Coleman will battle for the FS position, and McCree will most likely be fighting for both of the safety positions. This is going to be interesting...I can't wait.
vtech9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004   #17
Andre_Johnson88
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to Andre_Johnson88 Send a message via MSN to Andre_Johnson88 Send a message via Yahoo to Andre_Johnson88

So is the most likely scenario that we will Coleman at FS and Mccree at SS for this season?That would be totally awesome if it happens because just imagine this secondary.......Dunta,Glenn,Coleman,and Mccree.Boy what a starting lineup!
Old 05-01-2004   #18
clandestin
Veteran

Once the talent develops I think we'll have a great deal of flexibility with our current lineup, particularly in the backfield.

AJ88's lineup looks great in passing situations: Robinson, Coleman, McCree, Glenn.

Run Situations could look like: Robinson, Brown, Earl, Glenn
clandestin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004   #19
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Wink

I would think Glenn would be our Hollings of this year. Take it slow and make sure he recovered so 2005 he will be 100% ready physically AND mentally
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004   #20
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf
I would think Glenn would be our Hollings of this year. Take it slow and make sure he recovered so 2005 he will be 100% ready physically AND mentally
I would like that approach

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read