Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2010   #1
badboy
Site Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clear Lake
Posts: 24,053
Rep Power: 189741 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Just thinking about draft

Beerlover surprised me with his draft having Spiller taken #20 by Houston. Consider the following & assume that FS Thomas not there.

Re-signing Chester Pitts if healthy. Started every game and played most snaps until this season. He was starting LG when Slaton went ballistic with his rookie season. Pitt should want to end his career with original team and may accept a reasonable deal after seeing fans turn against DR.

In free agency, sign disgruntled Oakland DT Richard Seymour. This six time all pro should have 2-3 excellent years left and would love to show up the Patriots twice a year, especially since we beat them in our last game. Now for the interesting, if controversial draft.

1st: CJ SPiller 5'11" 195lbs 4.37 would pair well with Slaton who could benefit from half the carries and more non-tailback plays. Play Steve as he was drafted to play. What if Slaton's nerve injury is worse than we know?
2nd: Toby Gerhart 6'1" 235 4.55 & may run faster at combine. Here is our power guy who has consistently banged for high yardage & great avg. Foster will be the fourth back and Moats and Jeremiah Johnson battle for left overs or are cut. Our RB group a weakness 2009 is now a strength.
3rd: Kyle Wilson CB/KR 5'10" 4.42 I'd move Quin to FS.
4th: Thomas Austin 6'3" 315lbs C/LG/OT rated as best center for 2010 draft by Mel Kiper. Backs up Pitts and Myers while he gets comfortable with system then replaces Myers. Caldwell is RG and Briesel is the back up.
5th: Robert Johnson FS Utah 6'2" 200 lbs 4.5 4 INTs in 2008 6 INTs 2009
6A: Joe Pawelek ILB/OLB/F.B Baylor 6'2" 240 lbs Stats 2008= 128 tackles 6 INTs and in 2009 109 tackles, 1 INT 2.5 sacks
6 B.: Joique Bell Division 2 RB 5'11" 225 lbs 2,084 yds 29TDs 6.9 avg. He is my Jacoby Jones pick that might beat out Foster. Probably sits on PS but upside this low in draft could be awesome. With our history of injuries to RBs, we would have some one fresh to go and not keep forcing someone that may not be producing out there as was done with Chris Brown.
7. Best kicker available.

Ok, tear it up!
__________________
I want to be able to recognize the difference between a "want" and a "need" and then I want to be satisfied with getting a need
badboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010   #2
BigBull17
Hall of Fame
 
BigBull17's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Alvin
Age: 33
Posts: 5,103
Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Just thinking about draft

So, THREE rookie RB's? Not gonna happen. I could see two, but our 1 and 2 going to RB isn't gonna happen.
__________________
There are no strings on me.
BigBull17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010   #3
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame
 
Silver Oak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: The Woodlands
Section: way up the ramp
Age: 51
Posts: 3,620
Rep Power: 561 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Just thinking about draft

got to agree. just doesn't make sense the organization would break with form and go 1-2 RB.

I do like me some Spiller though!
__________________
An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out?
- Rene Descartes
Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010   #4
Goldensilence
hipster elite
 
Goldensilence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Austin
Age: 32
Posts: 5,143
Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Just thinking about draft

Considering we kept 3 Rbs on the active roster from what I remember anyway 3 Rbs from the draft seems highly unlikely.

I'd say pick one of the two from Gerhart and Spiller and then use the other pick to either address the interior of the OL or help at DB.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010   #5
badboy
Site Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clear Lake
Posts: 24,053
Rep Power: 189741 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Just thinking about draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
Considering we kept 3 Rbs on the active roster from what I remember anyway 3 Rbs from the draft seems highly unlikely.

I'd say pick one of the two from Gerhart and Spiller and then use the other pick to either address the interior of the OL or help at DB.
I hear you. On my current mock I have Gerhart and then Bell in 6th. Looking at the notes above what else would you do? We have Pitts at LG with Brisiel and draft pick Thomas Austin backing up and Caldwell at RG. WInston and Brown are starters at tackle with Butler and Austin as swing. There was no pick at tackle last season, why now? Same with DB. Wilson and Pollard are the starters with my guy Johnson backing up at FS and SS Troy Nolan coming off IR to back up Pollard.

I agree that 3 backs in draft is unlikely but what about Spiller and Gerhart?
__________________
I want to be able to recognize the difference between a "want" and a "need" and then I want to be satisfied with getting a need
badboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010   #6
beerlover
Site Contributor
 
beerlover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 12,552
Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Just thinking about draft

Spiller would be an impact player. A pile driving, power-back in the latter rounds is a distinct possiblity. I think Kubiak really wants to put this issue behind him & now with Gibbs gone a little insurance is prudent.

The Texans will have an extra 6th rd. pick to use on a power ZBS RB.

I have a 6th rd. grade on Lonyae Miller RB Fresno St. Just did not get the exposure playing behind Ryan Mathews who I have going late in the 1st rd. He is explosive between the tackles & could fit the downhill runner profile used in ZBS.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010   #7
Goldensilence
hipster elite
 
Goldensilence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Austin
Age: 32
Posts: 5,143
Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Just thinking about draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I hear you. On my current mock I have Gerhart and then Bell in 6th. Looking at the notes above what else would you do? We have Pitts at LG with Brisiel and draft pick Thomas Austin backing up and Caldwell at RG. WInston and Brown are starters at tackle with Butler and Austin as swing. There was no pick at tackle last season, why now? Same with DB. Wilson and Pollard are the starters with my guy Johnson backing up at FS and SS Troy Nolan coming off IR to back up Pollard.

I agree that 3 backs in draft is unlikely but what about Spiller and Gerhart?
We're still unsure about whether Pitts will be coming back or not. Personally I hope he does considering what we'd be left with starting and depth wise. I think Chester has earned to right to at least come back for one more season to see if he can get to 100%

My currents options would be if Spiller does last til 19/20 and that's who we are targeting cool. I think he's explosive and is a big play waiting to happen in the running game and special teams.

If that's the case I'd look at the Florida Center Pouncy in the second, Caldwell goes to RG, and if Pitts makes it back you got a LG for the year and draft another guard later to groom. Another possibility would be Asomoah. Caldwell goes to center and battle it out for the other guard spot.

If they think Slaton is enough for explosive plays out of the backfield and elect to go with Gerhart and possibly Foster making the roster next year I'd go with Iupti in the first. Move Caldwell to center and then have a battle for the other guard spot.

I'd like to see something done at FS. If healthy Wilson is a bottom tier staring FS, but I'm just not sure if we'd have someone good enough to replace or push him in the third round. Same with CB, unless we bite it and resign Dunta.

We're close to being a dominant offense. I'd finish that off and then see what you can do to keep the defense hovering around the same position it finished this year. If we can score early and put pressure on opposing offenses to keep up we can pin Mario, Smith, Cushing, and Barwin's ears back on rushing the passer.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-12-2010   #8
TEXANRED
Texan-American
 
TEXANRED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Age: 39
Posts: 7,580
Rep Power: 87851 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Just thinking about draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Beerlover surprised me with his draft having Spiller taken #20 by Houston. Consider the following & assume that FS Thomas not there.

Re-signing Chester Pitts if healthy. Started every game and played most snaps until this season. He was starting LG when Slaton went ballistic with his rookie season. Pitt should want to end his career with original team and may accept a reasonable deal after seeing fans turn against DR.

In free agency, sign disgruntled Oakland DT Richard Seymour. This six time all pro should have 2-3 excellent years left and would love to show up the Patriots twice a year, especially since we beat them in our last game. Now for the interesting, if controversial draft.

1st: CJ SPiller 5'11" 195lbs 4.37 would pair well with Slaton who could benefit from half the carries and more non-tailback plays. Play Steve as he was drafted to play. What if Slaton's nerve injury is worse than we know?
2nd: Toby Gerhart 6'1" 235 4.55 & may run faster at combine. Here is our power guy who has consistently banged for high yardage & great avg. Foster will be the fourth back and Moats and Jeremiah Johnson battle for left overs or are cut. Our RB group a weakness 2009 is now a strength.
3rd: Kyle Wilson CB/KR 5'10" 4.42 I'd move Quin to FS.
4th: Thomas Austin 6'3" 315lbs C/LG/OT rated as best center for 2010 draft by Mel Kiper. Backs up Pitts and Myers while he gets comfortable with system then replaces Myers. Caldwell is RG and Briesel is the back up.
5th: Robert Johnson FS Utah 6'2" 200 lbs 4.5 4 INTs in 2008 6 INTs 2009
6A: Joe Pawelek ILB/OLB/F.B Baylor 6'2" 240 lbs Stats 2008= 128 tackles 6 INTs and in 2009 109 tackles, 1 INT 2.5 sacks
6 B.: Joique Bell Division 2 RB 5'11" 225 lbs 2,084 yds 29TDs 6.9 avg. He is my Jacoby Jones pick that might beat out Foster. Probably sits on PS but upside this low in draft could be awesome. With our history of injuries to RBs, we would have some one fresh to go and not keep forcing someone that may not be producing out there as was done with Chris Brown.
7. Best kicker available.

Ok, tear it up!
I would have to disagree. We need to go out and get us some Guards and a Center in this draft. Build the OL for the next 10-15 years.

And then go get us a grizzled vet in FA for a DT. IMO, DT's are like a fine wine, they older they get the better they get. What is it they say? Age and trechery will over come youth and skill. The older you get as a DL the more of a dirty dog you become. Seymour fits right in. This man has at least another 5 in him and would fit right in with Antonio Smith. Maybe their attitude rubs off and Mario.

Thats what I would do but what do I know. I only watched the the Titans and Jets make it to the playoffs with crap QB's but a stellar OLine and DLine.
__________________
I am in an abusive relationship with life and I am to cowardly to leave it. - Homer Simpson.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010   #9
mussop
Hall of Fame
 
mussop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 6,371
Rep Power: 117345 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Just thinking about draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Thats what I would do but what do I know. I only watched the the Titans and Jets make it to the playoffs with crap QB's but a stellar OLine and DLine.
__________________
"I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots." Albert Einstein
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010   #10
badboy
Site Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clear Lake
Posts: 24,053
Rep Power: 189741 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Just thinking about draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
I would have to disagree. We need to go out and get us some Guards and a Center in this draft. Build the OL for the next 10-15 years.

And then go get us a grizzled vet in FA for a DT. IMO, DT's are like a fine wine, they older they get the better they get. What is it they say? Age and trechery will over come youth and skill. The older you get as a DL the more of a dirty dog you become. Seymour fits right in. This man has at least another 5 in him and would fit right in with Antonio Smith. Maybe their attitude rubs off and Mario.

Thats what I would do but what do I know. I only watched the the Titans and Jets make it to the playoffs with crap QB's but a stellar OLine and DLine.
I don't disagree with your comments on Oline. This thread was "just thinking" after Beerlover emailed me about Spiller. On my current board, I have Asamoah LG in 2nd and Thomas Austin C/G/OT in 5th. Oline would be Brown, Asamoah, Myers (until Kubes comfortable with Austin), Caldwell and Winston. Biesel is back up and Studdard is gone. I would hope Pitts could be on roster to allow a cushion for Asamoah to acclimate.
__________________
I want to be able to recognize the difference between a "want" and a "need" and then I want to be satisfied with getting a need
badboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010   #11
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame
 
Wolf6151's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pearland, Texas
Posts: 3,432
Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Just thinking about draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Beerlover surprised me with his draft having Spiller taken #20 by Houston. Consider the following & assume that FS Thomas not there.

Re-signing Chester Pitts if healthy. Started every game and played most snaps until this season. He was starting LG when Slaton went ballistic with his rookie season. Pitt should want to end his career with original team and may accept a reasonable deal after seeing fans turn against DR.

In free agency, sign disgruntled Oakland DT Richard Seymour. This six time all pro should have 2-3 excellent years left and would love to show up the Patriots twice a year, especially since we beat them in our last game. Now for the interesting, if controversial draft.

1st: CJ SPiller 5'11" 195lbs 4.37 would pair well with Slaton who could benefit from half the carries and more non-tailback plays. Play Steve as he was drafted to play. What if Slaton's nerve injury is worse than we know?
2nd: Toby Gerhart 6'1" 235 4.55 & may run faster at combine. Here is our power guy who has consistently banged for high yardage & great avg. Foster will be the fourth back and Moats and Jeremiah Johnson battle for left overs or are cut. Our RB group a weakness 2009 is now a strength.
3rd: Kyle Wilson CB/KR 5'10" 4.42 I'd move Quin to FS.
4th: Thomas Austin 6'3" 315lbs C/LG/OT rated as best center for 2010 draft by Mel Kiper. Backs up Pitts and Myers while he gets comfortable with system then replaces Myers. Caldwell is RG and Briesel is the back up.
5th: Robert Johnson FS Utah 6'2" 200 lbs 4.5 4 INTs in 2008 6 INTs 2009
6A: Joe Pawelek ILB/OLB/F.B Baylor 6'2" 240 lbs Stats 2008= 128 tackles 6 INTs and in 2009 109 tackles, 1 INT 2.5 sacks
6 B.: Joique Bell Division 2 RB 5'11" 225 lbs 2,084 yds 29TDs 6.9 avg. He is my Jacoby Jones pick that might beat out Foster. Probably sits on PS but upside this low in draft could be awesome. With our history of injuries to RBs, we would have some one fresh to go and not keep forcing someone that may not be producing out there as was done with Chris Brown.
7. Best kicker available.

Ok, tear it up!

3 RB's? I don't like the 1st and 2nd round RB's, seems a waste of picks when good RB's can be had later in the draft and they have such short careers. I think our poor O-line is more to blame for our poor running game. Also I don't think Robert Johnson will be there in the 5th round, I think he'll most likely go in the 3rd. I like the Thomas Austin pick in the 4th, he'd be good value there. I also like Kyle Wilson in the 3rd, he's not great but he's got good speed and seems to have alot of potential. I think with the right coaching Wilson could become very good in a couple years.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010   #12
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame
 
Texan4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Great State of Texas
Section: My couch
Age: 24
Posts: 4,104
Rep Power: 18298 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Just thinking about draft

Richard Seymour is not a good fit for the Texans. He is a 3-4 DE and we already have defensive tackles like him in Amobi Okoye and Shaun Cody. What we need is a space eater that can take on double teams and allow Okoye or Cody to shoot the gaps.

Here's what I think we should target....

1.) We need to improve our defensive secondary and we need a safety or cover corner. Earl Thomas, Joe Haden, or Patrick Robinson would fullfil this need.

2.) We need new blood in the interior offensive line so I would go after Zane Beadles and push him to OG and Mike Johnson and then find a tough beastly center (Thomas Austin anyone?)

3.) We could use another DT to become are space eater. Dan Williams, Kade Weston, or Cam Thomas would make sense.

4.) We need a productive RB. I think Slaton can make a comeback and I like what I see in Arian Foster and we can keep Moats for depth but it wouldn't hurt to get another RB.

5.) Improve special teams by getting a top notch punter (Zoltan Mesko) and a kicker to compete with Kris Brown. Also, grab a ST player.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010   #13
badboy
Site Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clear Lake
Posts: 24,053
Rep Power: 189741 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Just thinking about draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post
Richard Seymour is not a good fit for the Texans. He is a 3-4 DE and we already have defensive tackles like him in Amobi Okoye and Shaun Cody. What we need is a space eater that can take on double teams and allow Okoye or Cody to shoot the gaps.

Here's what I think we should target....

1.) We need to improve our defensive secondary and we need a safety or cover corner. Earl Thomas, Joe Haden, or Patrick Robinson would fullfil this need.

2.) We need new blood in the interior offensive line so I would go after Zane Beadles and push him to OG and Mike Johnson and then find a tough beastly center (Thomas Austin anyone?)

3.) We could use another DT to become are space eater. Dan Williams, Kade Weston, or Cam Thomas would make sense.

4.) We need a productive RB. I think Slaton can make a comeback and I like what I see in Arian Foster and we can keep Moats for depth but it wouldn't hurt to get another RB.

5.) Improve special teams by getting a top notch punter (Zoltan Mesko) and a kicker to compete with Kris Brown. Also, grab a ST player.
Your comments about space eating DT is out of date (it was my position also) as our light DTs have resolved the run issue. Seymour is a 6 year all pro and neither Cody or Okoye stack up. I think he would do very well in our defense.
__________________
I want to be able to recognize the difference between a "want" and a "need" and then I want to be satisfied with getting a need
badboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010   #14
infantrycak
Lead Moderator
 
infantrycak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Age: 47
Posts: 49,187
Rep Power: 412969 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Just thinking about draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Your comments about space eating DT is out of date (it was my position also) as our light DTs have resolved the run issue. Seymour is a 6 year all pro and neither Cody or Okoye stack up. I think he would do very well in our defense.
But does Seymour want to be a 4-3 DT? I don't think so. He wants to be paid as a pass rushing DE which is about $3 mil per year more than a top DT except for Haynesworth.
__________________
The Art of War
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010   #15
badboy
Site Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clear Lake
Posts: 24,053
Rep Power: 189741 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Just thinking about draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
But does Seymour want to be a 4-3 DT? I don't think so. He wants to be paid as a pass rushing DE which is about $3 mil per year more than a top DT except for Haynesworth.
Primarily he wants out of Davis land. As a 4-3 tackle on our line, he'd have less wear and tear and a pretty good chance for repeat seasons in playoffs. We have signed other FA in past that wanted to be DE but switched to DT with little or no fuss. Just were not very productive. He can be paid very well by Texans. I think he would like our LBs behind him and if we could improve our Free Safety...
__________________
I want to be able to recognize the difference between a "want" and a "need" and then I want to be satisfied with getting a need
badboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010   #16
badboy
Site Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clear Lake
Posts: 24,053
Rep Power: 189741 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Just thinking about draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
3 RB's? I don't like the 1st and 2nd round RB's, seems a waste of picks when good RB's can be had later in the draft and they have such short careers. I think our poor O-line is more to blame for our poor running game. Also I don't think Robert Johnson will be there in the 5th round, I think he'll most likely go in the 3rd. I like the Thomas Austin pick in the 4th, he'd be good value there. I also like Kyle Wilson in the 3rd, he's not great but he's got good speed and seems to have alot of potential. I think with the right coaching Wilson could become very good in a couple years.
How is our record on getting good rbs later? DD and Slaton only come to mind. The first years ago and Slaton one good year. Your theory can be said for all positions so what do we use the 1st and 2nd round for? Trade down scenario this draft reminds me of last one. Nothing happened. If I can get a franchise type player in first I am going to get him. Remember Glenn Coffee is my battle cry.
__________________
I want to be able to recognize the difference between a "want" and a "need" and then I want to be satisfied with getting a need
badboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger