Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-16-2005   #1
Dionysus22
Veteran

Question Just a thought...

I'm all for revamping the starting four: Sharper, Wong, Peek, and Babin. On the other hand, I would like to see some freakish sideline to sideline speed. What are ya'lls thoughts of trading Kailee Wong for more picks and drafting Derrick Johnson for ILB? I'm sure we could get a second round, or maybe a few second day picks for Wong. We could really use those picks to beef up the O-line or that fearless, kamakazie type receiver we've been needing. Lets face it, Bradford is not the answer and Gaffney is too fragile. I love Wong like the rest of you and I know he's been one of the back bones of this defense but I'm afraid that we might be holding on to something that will last maybe three more years and passing up what might be the next Ray Lewis for the next ten years. I think we've learned a thing or two from watching those "old guys" with the stars on their helments pass up a pro-bowl type player cause they're trying to hang on to a player that MIGHT one day pay-off. Just a thought.
Dionysus22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005   #2
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

I say if DJ is there, definitely take him, but I doubt we trade up for him. People keep saying that this years draft will be a weak one but I bet we wont give up that weak 2nd rounder to move up a few spots a get that LongHorn. DJ to me is the best player in the draft and has the best chance to be a pro-bowl rook.
Old 02-16-2005   #3
Dionysus22
Veteran

aaahhhh we can dream though can't we?
Old 02-16-2005   #4
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

For those of you who were on here last year...it reminds me alot of all the "Sean Taylor" talking.

Casserly knows what he is doing...and I have full faith in him (Andre, Dunta). If DJ falls to us...definitley take him. But Im sure they'll be others that will make just as big of an impact.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005   #5
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 615 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84
For those of you who were on here last year...it reminds me alot of all the "Sean Taylor" talking.

Casserly knows what he is doing...and I have full faith in him (Andre, Dunta). If DJ falls to us...definitley take him. But Im sure they'll be others that will make just as big of an impact.

But one thing about Sean Taylor is that he is a head case!! Bad in the locker room, where DJ would become the leader on defense after a couple of years!!

If the Texans could trade up without hurting the future to get DJ, I would!!
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005   #6
Dionysus22
Veteran

very good point! Sean was a head-case. DJ would provide leadership and would be, in my opinion, like Michael Vick on defense.
Old 02-17-2005   #7
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 412969 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus22
Lets face it, Bradford is not the answer and Gaffney is too fragile.
Don't understand where comments like this come from--fragile? Gaffney has not missed a game his entire tenure in the NFL.

Quote:
I do however agree about AG, but unfortunately the talent isn't really that deep either this year. There maybe a few that might provide a spark but not good enough to be taken that high.
Really?--there are at least four CB's with good chances of being taken in the top half of the 1st round--Rolle, Jones, Miller and Rogers. Two of them share a lot in common with Dunta--Jones & Miller are both speedy gamblers that play big against the run. Seems like plenty of talent that may be BPA at #13.
Old 02-17-2005   #8
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

if DJ isn't there we could always go with Merrimen, this guy is a physical freak. he has like a 41" vertical, benches close to 400lbs and squats close to 600lbs.
Old 02-17-2005   #9
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

as good as it would seem for us to get DJ i doubt he will still be there when we pick, now if this had been last year our the year before than yes we prolly woulda got him. But he is to good of a player for many teams to pass up, But i do still keep my fingers crossed we get him. And i figure AG has 2 more years left and i doubt we'll adress the CB position this year, we'll give a young guy a good year to learn and watch AG and D-Rob, and than he will have been mentored by the 2 best corners in the league !
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005   #10
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

The more I think about it and watch the discussions, I think we will be going for one of the CBs that are available and one of the good ones (hopefully Pac-man or J. Miller) should be available at 13. I like that prospect.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005   #11
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansTrueFan
And i figure AG has 2 more years left
We may address it in later rounds for someone who can help us, even start for us several years down the line after AGs retirement. But here's the deal, they will be under the gun this year to make the playoffs and that's why I'm confidant the first round pick will not be a CB or any DB - this is maybe ourur strongest area. We have plenty of areas where we need upgrades right now if we are to realistically compete for a playoff spot this year (or next).
Just looking at the D, We need a frontline players in both the DL and LB areas much more than the Defensive Backfield. There will be a lot of pressure for the team to go > 500 and into the playoffs this fall, therefor I don't think they
will use the 13th overall to pick someone who won't make a contribution until a futue year.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005   #12
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

oh yes i agree with you thats why i said i think AG has 2 more years and we prolly shouldnt worry about getting a CB replacement for Glenn not this draft but the next. We have bigger issues to be adressed other than CBs !
Old 02-17-2005   #13
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 412969 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
We may address it in later rounds for someone who can help us, even start for us several years down the line after AGs retirement. But here's the deal, they will be under the gun this year to make the playoffs and that's why I'm confidant the first round pick will not be a CB or any DB - this is maybe ourur strongest area. We have plenty of areas where we need upgrades right now if we are to realistically compete for a playoff spot this year (or next).
Just looking at the D, We need a frontline players in both the DL and LB areas much more than the Defensive Backfield. There will be a lot of pressure for the team to go > 500 and into the playoffs this fall, therefor I don't think they
will use the 13th overall to pick someone who won't make a contribution until a futue year.
No offense, but what this says is IMO exactly why you have to look at BPA instead of needs order. DL may be a higher need than CB this year, but what best serves the Texans this year and in the future (1) a great potential CB at #13 who immediatly takes over as the 3rd CB and moves Faggins to 4th (and is very likely to move Glenn to nickle or dime in 1-3 years) and a good value DL at #47 who immediately comes into the DL rotation as the 4th best DLmen or (2) a reach at #13 for a DLmen who also immediately comes into the DL rotation and a CB who may come into dime packages now and hopefully develops someday into a starter? Perceived need can't irrationally overtake the talent of the actual players available at each draft selection--well it can but it isn't a good way to build a team IMO.
Old 02-17-2005   #14
M@DD Mike
Rookie

Default Thomas davis

I like Thomas Davis he would make a huge Impaact in the secondary.
M@DD Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005   #15
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

We need to improve the front 7. Our secondary will get burned no matter who we have back there if the front 7 cannot generate a constant passrush.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005   #16
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS
We need to improve the front 7. Our secondary will get burned no matter who we have back there if the front 7 cannot generate a constant passrush.

exactly, good post steel blue.
Old 02-17-2005   #17
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hence the famous words by Deion Sanders:

"Show me a front 7 that can't get to a quarterback, and you'll see cornerbacks that can't cover".
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005   #18
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84
Hence the famous words by Deion Sanders:

"Show me a front 7 that can't get to a quarterback, and you'll see cornerbacks that can't cover".

wow those were deions words ???? a lil philosophy it sounds like, and where did he go to college ? Cause i never thought he could say anything half worth listening to !
Old 02-17-2005   #19
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansTrueFan
wow those were deions words ???? a lil philosophy it sounds like, and where did he go to college ? Cause i never thought he could say anything half worth listening to !
That's his Florida State edu-mah-cation. Honestly he's more entertaining to me than Irvin is on ESPN. Both can be fun to watch at times.

I've mentioned in other threads that I'd be happy with Miller or Jones at #13. However, I'd prefer to trade down a few slots and pick up Marcus Spears, and then maybe getting a guy like Rogers or Browner in the second. Problem is that Rogers might not last till the second. Then perhaps grab Baas with the extra 2nd round pick. Thats a dream scenario, and chances are nothing close to that will happen. As far as needing a safety I'm not so sure we do need one, but even if we did I'd rather address it later in the draft by picking up a Jammal Brimmer in the 3rd or so. It will be fun to see what happens come draft day.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005   #20
Cincinnatikid
Veteran

It is really a chicken and egg discussion, when one area improves so will the other. If the dline gets better, then the LBs get better pass rush, and the DBs can cover for less time. If the DBs dont get burnt in 2 secs, then there is time for the front seven to get to the QB. Either way we need to improve both aspects. To me LB is our best position on defense, some improvement is needed but i think we have 4 solid players that can start in babin wong sharper and peek. Get them some help and results will be seen in terms of pass rush.
Cincinnatikid is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read