Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League > Fantasy Football Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Fantasy Football Talk Fantasy football and video games

Old 09-04-2009   #1
Ckw

Default My fantasy draft

I am curious what some of you think about my fantasy draft. It is a PPR league so take that into consideration as I focused on guys that caught a lot of passes. Here it is.

1. Matt Forte
2. Steve Slaton
3. Aaron Rodgers
4. Braylon Edwards
5. Antonio Bryant
6. Derrick Ward
7. Jay Cutler (dumb pick and am trying to trade it)
8. John Carlson
9. Cedric Benson
10. Lance Moore
11. Derrick Mason
12. Jerious Norwood
13. Bo Scaife
14. Bears D/ST
15. Glen Coffee
16. Kris Brown

Thoughts? The Bears D did well last year but would I be smart to drop them for the Bucs D or a team like that? Thanks.
Old 09-09-2009   #2
indiantexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 37 indiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: My fantasy draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckw5814 View Post
I am curious what some of you think about my fantasy draft. It is a PPR league so take that into consideration as I focused on guys that caught a lot of passes. Here it is.

1. Matt Forte
2. Steve Slaton
3. Aaron Rodgers
4. Braylon Edwards
5. Antonio Bryant
6. Derrick Ward
8. John Carlson
9. Cedric Benson
10. Lance Moore
11. Derrick Mason
12. Jerious Norwood
13. Bo Scaife
14. Bears D/ST
15. Glen Coffee
16. Kris Brown

Thoughts? The Bears D did well last year but would I be smart to drop them for the Bucs D or a team like that? Thanks.
JMHO, but you seem a little thin at WR. Except for Braylon Edwards everyone else seem to be WR3 or 4 at best. You might want to trade Cutler and get another legit No 1 or No 2 receiver and another QB. There should be some takers out there. I think your RB position looks very strong. Everyone in there should have good years including Benson. Maybe you can throw in an RB + Cutler + Someone like Antonio Bryant to get a good WR + RB+ another QB. Packers have a bye week in Week 5. Cleveland is at Buffalo that week. I think QBs from both sides should have a pretty good day. But since the Cleveland QB situation is still up in the air, I would consider taking Trent Edwards who should have a good day at home against a suspect Cleveland defense. I think I would retain Bears D but it is your call.

BTW, please take a look at my draft. Comments and suggestion welcome.

Team Name : DesiTexans (Desi is a colloquial term for someone originating from India. Unfortunately I could not draft any Texans. )

Ryan, Matt QB ATL
Johnson, Chris RB TEN
Jones-Drew, Maurice RB JAC
Hester, Devin WR CHI
Owens, Terrell WR BUF
Smith, Steve WR CAR
Gonzalez, Tony TE ATL
Vinatieri, Adam K IND
Eagles DST
Favre, Brett QB MIN
Benson, Cedric RB CIN
Wells, Beanie RB ARI
Harvin, Percy WR MIN
Miller, Zach TE OAK

Last edited by indiantexan; 09-09-2009 at 11:12 AM.
indiantexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009   #3
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiantexan View Post
JMHO, but you seem a little thin at WR. Except for Braylon Edwards everyone else seem to be WR3 or 4 at best. You might want to trade Cutler and get another legit No 1 or No 2 receiver and another QB. There should be some takers out there.
Thanks a ton for commenting man. Rep to you.

I definitely agree I am thin at WR. I really screwed up on the Cutler pick but it just seemed like everyone else was a reach when I drafted him, and I figured I would be able to trade him for somebody decent. So far, there haven't been any takers.

Quote:
I think your RB position looks very strong. Everyone in there should have good years including Benson. Maybe you can throw in an RB + Cutler + Someone like Antonio Bryant to get a good WR + RB+ another QB.
Any suggestions on a WR you think I could maybe trade for and what I should offer as a RB? I knew he wouldn't bite but I tried trading Bryant, Cutler, and Benson for Randy Moss and Matt Schaub, but sadly the guy wasn't dumb enough to bite.

Quote:
I think I would retain Bears D but it is your call.
Yeah, they played really well last year and haven't lost much on defense. I think I will hold onto them for a bit just to see how they look.

Quote:
BTW, please take a look at my draft. Comments and suggestion welcome.
You got it.

Quote:
Team Name : DesiTexans (Desi is a colloquial term for someone originating from India. Unfortunately I could not draft any Texans. )

Ryan, Matt QB ATL
Johnson, Chris RB TEN
Jones-Drew, Maurice RB JAC
Hester, Devin WR CHI
Owens, Terrell WR BUF
Smith, Steve WR CAR
Gonzalez, Tony TE ATL
Vinatieri, Adam K IND
Eagles DST
Favre, Brett QB MIN
Benson, Cedric RB CIN
Wells, Beanie RB ARI
Harvin, Percy WR MIN
Miller, Zach TE OAK
I think you had a great draft. My league was supposed to be a keeper league with a live auction draft and so my keepers were going to be Matt Ryan and Steve Slaton (both of which I picked up in FA last year) so I certainly like your pick of Ryan and Favre as backup. Jones-Drew will put up numbers like always, and I see some similarity in your pick of Johnson with my pick of Slaton (who I may have taken a bit too early). They both offer a ton of upside, but I am always a little worried about the sophomore slump.

Like me, I think you could have a great WR corp, but it might also be a letdown. I am and was leery of TO. He is getting up there in age and like Edwards has a ton of drops. I love the Hester pick because he will likely get some bombs thrown his way from Cutler. He reminds me a lot of Lee Evans. Steve Smith, when healthy, is one of the best WRs in the NFL. Tony Gonzalez will get his and Zach Miller is a capable backup.

Beanie Wells and Percy Harvin both offer a ton of upside, but the injuries scare me with Beanie. Benson could put up some number this year as he looks to be the #1 back for the Bengals. Doesn't seem like you can ever go wrong with the Eagles D, but I will be interested in seeing how much of an effect, if any, Jim Johnson's passing has on the team.

Overall, a very good draft and I personally like your chances better than mine. I screwed up on the Cutler pick and might have reached for Slaton. I expect even more out of Forte now that the D can't constantly put 8 men in the box against him but as you said, I could be weak at WR. Bryant could either be a major steal, or he could flop. The good thing is I think it is a contract year for him. Also, a lot rides on Braylon Edwards not having another season like last year.
Old 09-09-2009   #4
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125690 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

1. Matt Forte
2. Steve Slaton
3. Aaron Rodgers
4. Braylon Edwards
5. Antonio Bryant
6. Derrick Ward
8. John Carlson
9. Cedric Benson
10. Lance Moore
11. Derrick Mason
12. Jerious Norwood
13. Bo Scaife
14. Bears D/ST
15. Glen Coffee
16. Kris Brown

I'm going to take a wild guess and guess that this is a ten man league, because you've got way to many studs on that team for this to be a 14 man league. Good players though. I don't know how someone let you pick up Rodgers and Cutler on the same team.

Rodgers is going to be an absolute stud this season. I would drop Bo Scaife and pick up Jermichael Finley if he is available though. Finley might break out this season and should have more potential than Scaife with Finley being in that GB offense.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009   #5
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I'm going to take a wild guess and guess that this is a ten man league, because you've got way to many studs on that team for this to be a 14 man league. Good players though. I don't know how someone let you pick up Rodgers and Cutler on the same team.

Rodgers is going to be an absolute stud this season. I would drop Bo Scaife and pick up Jermichael Finley if he is available though. Finley might break out this season and should have more potential than Scaife with Finley being in that GB offense.
Thanks Tex. Rep to you as well. And yes, your guess would be correct.

That was exactly why I picked up Cutler but like an *****, didn't realize he and Rodgers have the same bye week. I was so surprised when he was there that late that I drafted him without even thinking. I will definitely take a look at Finley. The thing I liked about Scaife is he has been pretty consistently average, which isn't always a bad thing.

What about Heath Miller? He is available so you think I should drop Scaife for him or would you still take Finley over him?
Old 09-09-2009   #6
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

That was exactly why I picked up Cutler but like an *****, didn't realize he and Rodgers have the same bye week. I was so surprised when he was there that late that I drafted him without even thinking. I will definitely take a look at Finley. The thing I liked about Scaife is he has been pretty consistently average, which isn't always a bad thing.

What about Heath Miller? He is available so you think I should drop Scaife for him or would you still take Finley over him?
I would hang on to Miller for the moment, I have him on one team, just keep a close on the waiver wire and snag either guy if they produce, well we about know were Scaife will be, Finley is a huge ?

As far as WR's is Hixon (Giants available), I personally think he is going to blow up this year. And if no one took Nate Washington jump on him now, I think he will end up being the #1 in Tenn. Also Chris Henry could have a real nice year. One or maybe more of those guys could be undrafted right now, these would be guys to stash on the bench and see how it goes. I will get back to you WR's worthy to trade for, I think the season needs to unfold a little before guessing on who is fading and rising.

If you can't find someone hurting for a QB just hang on to Cutler for a bit, his value could go way up.

I will post my 2 money league teams for comments/advice as well.

*edit* - I misunderstood your TE situation, hang on to Scaife since you already have him, leave him on the bench behind Carlson, Miller is not much of an upgrade but I think his upside is much higher than Texecutioner's projection.

Last edited by Hardcore Texan; 09-09-2009 at 08:32 PM.
Hardcore Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009   #7
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Here is team 1:

QB - B Roethlisberger

RB - A Peterson
RB - C Portis
RB - C Williams
RB - F Jones

WR - J Cotchery
WR - M Colston
WR - N Washington
WR - S Moss
WR - Roy Williams

TE - O Daniels
TE - H Miller

K - K Brown

D/ST - Eagles

This is a 12 man league, let me know what you think.
Old 09-09-2009   #8
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Team 2, also 12 team leauge:

QB - A Rodgers
QB - J Flacco

RB - C Portis
RB - M Turner
RB - F Jones
RB - J Lewis

WR - D Jackson
WR - L Evans
WR - P Harvin
WR - S Moss

TE - J Carlson
TE - K Boss

K - J Kasay

D/ST - Jets
Old 09-09-2009   #9
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125690 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
Here is team 1:

QB - B Roethlisberger

RB - A Peterson
RB - C Portis
RB - C Williams
RB - F Jones

WR - J Cotchery
WR - M Colston
WR - N Washington
WR - S Moss
WR - Roy Williams

TE - O Daniels
TE - H Miller

K - K Brown

D/ST - Eagles

This is a 12 man league, let me know what you think.
Decent team and all.

Your going to want to get another QB to pair with Ben though. I had Ben last season and grabbed him early after he accounted for 36 TD's the year before and the thing about Ben is when they're winning towards the 4th quarters by over two TD's he always gets pulled. That drove me nuts last season. Plus they run the ball so much that Ben doesn't get a lot of yards in the air, and with his O line being so banged up he is always one hit away from injury. And his defense is so good that they can run the ball all of the time. He'll have some really nice games here and there though. Luckily I was really good at guessing which ones last season and got lucky a lot.

I'll take a wild guess that Stafford is available in your league. He might put up some decent numbers with Calvin there actually. Stafford has a hell of an arm. I wouldn't suggest a rookie, but I'm sure most of the other good QB's are already taken.

I wouldn't put much stock into Cadillac being the starter. That will be a full blown committee. Portis and Peterson are pretty good though.

Pretty good depth at WR as well.
Old 09-09-2009   #10
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:

My league that I run is a 14 man league. QB's are very heavy because we get 6 points per TD and 5 per 100 yards. I went early with a QB after grabbing Slaton with my first pick. I had to take Rodgers. He was great last year and this year that offense has been lighting teams up like a laser show. That O line is great. I'm so PRO PACKERS for fantasy this year.

Quote:
I would try and trade Cutler for another decent player or something or maybe just wait a week or so, because Cutler should still be pretty good even without great weapons. He's been good in pre season thus far. Someone's QB might get hurt, or they'll have a knee jerk reaction to a terrible game.

I wouldn't touch Heath Miller unless I had nothing else to grab. He is one of the best TE's in the league but mainly because of his blocking. Not his receiving. He can be a nice weapon but Pittsburgh is going to rely on him more for blocking again this year because their O line is so pathetic. I just read that a day or so ago on Roto. Believe me, Miller will NOT be consistent.

Carlson is already a pretty good TE for your starter right now. The Hawks don't have great WR's so Carlson should get some balls thrown his way.

I've got Finley in both of my leagues. He is behind Donald Brown right now, but he's already been way out performing him in pre season and all reports indicate that he's dominating people in practice. They've been raving about him for weeks now and he seemed unstoppable in one pre season game I watched. He left college early after his sophmore year so he just wasn't ready completely last year. He seems ready to break out this year if they use him enough. If he is available I'd snag him up and play Carlson for now and wait and see what Finley does in the first week or two.

Finley will be used as a pass catching TE and not a blocker while Miller will be used more as a blocker and not a pass catcher. Plus, Finley will be on one of the best offenses in the league while Miller will be on one of the worst passing offenses in the league.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League > Fantasy Football Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read