Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-29-2005   #1
AndreJ
All Pro

Default 3-4 Down Lineman

Since plenty have been wondering who would fit in our Defense as a 3-4 DE I decided to do a little research.

One of the greats, Richard Seymour of the Patriots is 6-6 and wieghs in @ 305. Anthony Weaver of Baltimore is 6-3 and 296 and Kimo Von Oelhoffen of Pittsburgh is 6-3 @ 297. Those are all good 3-4 DE's in successful defenses.

Our current Defensive Ends in our system are Robaire (Who I acutally like) who list at 6-4, 310 lbs. and Gary Walker 6-2, 305 lbs. Neither one of them has noticeable speed and i think that may be part of why we can't get a good pass rush even though it is mostly the linebackers job in the 3-4 Defense to get to the QB.

Marcus Spears is 6-4 @ 298 and as previously said has room to add weight if needed. Shaun Cody is also 6-4 and 295 lbs. I would like to see us get either of these guys (Spears particulary, because of his speed). I also like the way Spears played in the Senior Bowl today. From what I saw he had alot of patience and good awareness. He also stuck with a play and never gave up.
One more thing, Mel Kiper said today that scouts have taken more notice of him and he could be moving down to about the Top 15 in the draft.
Old 01-29-2005   #2
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 182216 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Spears came into college as a TE ( for those pro TE people I'd take this one ). He was also a basketball player. Jimmy Johnson scouted Leon Lett at a pick up Basketball game in college. Jimmy realized a man that big whos agile enough to go to the hoop is a monster . marcus in 2005 #13.
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005   #3
TexansCanes
All Pro

you made the same post in the other thread andre.
Old 01-30-2005   #4
AndreJ
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansCanes
you made the same post in the other thread andre.
Yeh, i just made a new thread and i didn't know how to delete it.
Old 01-30-2005   #5
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

another player to think about in the 2nd and 3rd round is Chris Canty. he is 6'7'' and 295lbs. Not to mention that he played in a 3-4 defense in college.
F-minus67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005   #6
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 182216 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

The DL has 3 positions. Out of those 3 positions Robaire Smith is solid with no question marks . How many backups do you need 2 or 3. Solid backups Deloach = 1 . It looks like you need at least 4 good DL. We have 1 with 1 backup . That leaves a lot of ifs . The OL needs 5 starters . Lets see T. Wade is a good starting linemen .Who else is a good starting NFL caliber OL. ? How many good NFL caliber backups ? PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong but thats 2 starters in 8 possible line positions(3 DL + 5 OL = 8 ) I know Wand and Pitts can improve but its a concern.
WRs We need 4 (Johnson,Gaffney ,Armstrong ) thats 3 we used #1 and a #2 on WRs. Our best player is a wideout .
TEs you need 2 ( Bruener , Miller ,Joppru ) thats 3 not great but average. Joppru we're hopefuls ok is a #2 draft choice .
RB you need 2 ( DD, Wells, Hollings ) our backs are good .
LBs you need 6 ( Babin, Sharper , Wong, Peek ) no real stud but not bad and will get better .
CB & S you need alot. ( Glen ,Dunta , Earl, Coleman, Faggins , McCree) this is not an urgent concern.
QB need 2 we got 1 ( Carr )so far. Hurry Symmons .

Marcus Spears or Shaun Cody at 13.

Last edited by Honoring Earl 34; 01-30-2005 at 01:06 PM.
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005   #7
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the Texans want a 5 man rotation on the defensive line. Most teams rotate their linemen to keep them fresh in the 4th quarter. These 3 guys take a pounding by 5 330 lb Giants on every snap, so you really need two or three guys rotating off the bench that have some skill.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-30-2005   #8
LikeABoss
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 LikeABoss seems to be losing the respect of his peers
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34
Marcus Spears or Shaun Cody at 13.

We need a stud LDE with youth, size, and speed because LDE is where we got the least production from this past season on defense. Everyone on the D-line contributed over 50 tackles and at least 2 sacks except Walker with his 29 tackles and 0.5 sack. This is where our problems begins on the D-line because if Walker was bringing more production to the LDE spot, then that would force teams to double him which would then free up Babin to take on a single blockers and vice versa.

Marcus Spears or Shaun Cody should be choosen as our 13th overall pick!!!

I would be happy to get either one of them, but I prefer Spears for some reason

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read