Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 06-02-2004   #1
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Jason Gildon

Looks like the Texans have some interest in Gildon.
Quote:
On another front, the Packers apparently have some interest in veteran linebacker Jason Gildon, who is expected to be released by Pittsburgh today in a salary-cap related move.

Gildon, who will turn 32 in July, is the Steelers' all-time sack leader.

Peter Schaffer, Gildon's agent, told the Pittsburgh Post Gazette that Houston, Baltimore and Cleveland also were interested in Gildon, along with the Packers. Schaffer could not be reached for comment.
http://www.jsonline.com/packer/news/jun04/233667.asp

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004   #2
J-Man
Veteran

This should be good to keep an eye on for a day or so. You do have to take anything that an agent says in reference to teams being intrested with a certain amount of salt. I am not sure that we will take a shot at Gildon and jumble the LB picture. I can't see him being that much of an upgrade at this point in his career over Wong, and they are not going to bump Babin. Peek and Orr are highly thought of by the coaching staff so I don't see where Gildon fits in.

Eat 'em Up, KATS!
J-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004   #3
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

id rather we get Trotter
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004   #4
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS
id rather we get Trotter
me too, but Gildon is good, just old
Old 06-02-2004   #5
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Looks like we might be interested in Gildon. Found this on Yahoo.

The 6-foot-4, 255-pound Gildon, coming off two consecutive down seasons after making All-Pro in 2001, is expected to sign shortly with another team. The Texans, Redskins, Packers, Ravens and Browns are believed to be interested in Gildon.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004   #6
Genuine
Rookie

Thumbs up

If I were the Texans, I would bring in Gildon more for the veteran leadership and knowledge more so than actual play on the field. He could be a great mentor to our young LB crew, Babin, Peek, Orr. He has been playing in the 3-4 his entire 11 year NFL career, so the experience he would bring would be unmatched. There is no doubt he can still be a solid pass rusher for another year or two, but if he helps to improve our other young LBs, especially Babin, we could benefit from him in other ways for years to come.
Genuine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004   #7
DominatorDavis
Veteran

Default Jason Gildon a Texan?

Just found this article. Thought that it would be useful: From houstonprofootball.com
Quote:
"On Wednesday, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette quoted Peter Schaffer, the agent of linebacker Jason Gildon, saying that the Texans were one of four teams that have contacted him regarding the recent Steelers castoff. Gildon, 31, was released by Pittsburgh after efforts to trade him never materialized.

Rated by Peter King of Sports Illustrated as the top available player among the June 1st cuts, Gildon is a two-time Pro Bowl player and the Steelers' career sack leader. He has not missed a start in the past seven seasons, and he is a veteran of the 3-4 defense.

The Texans' interest in Gildon is intriguing, given the recent release of Charlie Clemons last month and the attention given to his position during April's draft when three projected outside linebackers were taken, including the trade up to select current starter Jason Babin. Should Gildon be willing to sign for compensation equivalent to that of an experienced situational pass rusher, he may soon find a new home in Houston's 3-4 defense.

Gildon's agent also said that the Packers, Ravens, and Browns had contacted him regarding their interest in his client."
DominatorDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-02-2004   #8
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Good post. I hope if in the off chance we did sign Gildon it would be for no more than 2 years and not a crazy amount of money.
Old 06-03-2004   #9
clandestin
Veteran

hmm tough call. There are defintite plusses and minuses involving Gildon, but I'm leaning towards pass.

I like the idea of having a proven vet OLB on the team to teach (by example) the position. Peek, Babin, Orr 1&2, Anderson, and even Wong could learn a lot from a guy whose been successful at the position for 10 years. I also think that Gildon would perform better then Babin in 2004, but I still feel that the 2004 season falls into the developmental category.

Given that, I think that in the end Babin learns more playing the postion then he would from watching Gildon play it. As the top-rated June 1 FA, and with several teams switching to the 3-4 I don't think we'll get a bargain on the guy (I'd take him if we did.) So for now I think we need to be patient, save some cap room, and see how Babin, Peek, and Wong have performed by the end of the season and re-evaluate at that time.
clandestin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004   #10
pittbull
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to pittbull

PLEASE MY TEXAN BROTHERS< FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, WE DONT WANT JASON GILDON!!!! I've seen this guy his entire pro career. Schemes in pittsburgh mean everything, and this guy is WAY OVERRATED!!!!!!! PLEASE, If we keep wishing, you'll get what you ask for. NONE PRODUCTION!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-03-2004   #11
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we would get Gildon because:

He is accustomed to the 3-4 system, he could be a good situational pass rusher and mentor for the younger OLBs, we did switch the positions of Wong and Babin at OLB.

I think we will not get him because:

We have much invested in Babin, we got some good depth in Orr and Peek, given the other teams mentioned that are interested in Gildon we don't have much bargaining power against the other teams with our current cap space.

I say pass and let the young guys get in on some of the action. For all we know Peek may have a pretty good year.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004   #12
Bigtymer

Default Linebacker

Jason Gildon and Jeremiah Trotter would and excellent addition to the Texans defense. This way it would give Babin at least a year to learn the 3-4 scheme from Linebacker stand. What do you think?
Old 06-15-2004   #13
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Gildon Flirts with Bills.

Gildon talk with Bills

"ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) -- Former All-Pro linebacker Jason Gildon arrived in Buffalo on Monday to meet with the Bills, a team needing to bolster its pass rush.

Gildon's agent Peter Schaffer said his client's visit is scheduled to last through Tuesday. The Bills are an attractive stop for Gildon, who was released by the Pittsburgh Steelers for salary-cap reasons two weeks ago, Schaffer said."
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004   #14
SESupergenius

I would say that since Mike Mularkey was hired as the new coach from the Steelers organization that it would be a done deal. The Bills would have the strongest influence in aquiring Gildon based on the fact that Mularkey has working relationship with him. He's a Bill.
Old 06-15-2004   #15
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtymer
Jason Gildon and Jeremiah Trotter would and excellent addition to the Texans defense. This way it would give Babin at least a year to learn the 3-4 scheme from Linebacker stand. What do you think?
Gildon is washed up and Trotter has maybe one good year left in him and would ask for too much money. Plus, I would rather have Babin learning the job on the fly.

Does Gildon useat Posey or switch between DE and LB?

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004   #16
SESupergenius

Quote:
Gildon is washed up
How so? Played in all 16 games and had 6 sacks, was a leader on one of the better defensive teams in the league.

Be prepared for Babin to take some time to learn the position, 3-4 linebackers usually take a couple of years to start to show some greatness.
Old 06-15-2004   #17
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
How so? Played in all 16 games and had 6 sacks, was a leader on one of the better defensive teams in the league.
His sacks have declied each of the last 3 or 4 seasons, he has lost some speed. He is at the end of a great career, IMO.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read