Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 04-05-2009   #1
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Mussops Mock april 5th

I really think we are going to end up tradding down 5 or 7 spots. This is my latest mock with that in mind.

2009 Picks:
Round 1, Selection 20 Clay Matthews - USC
Round 2, Selection 14 Max Unger, OL, Oregon
Round 3, Selection 13 Rashad Jennings, RB, Liberty
Round 3, Selection 18 (From Detroit) Tyrone McKenzie, OLB, South Florida
Round 4, Selection 12 Victor Harris, CB Virginia Tech
Round 4, Selection 22 (From Minnesota) Emanuel Cook SS South Carolina
Round 5, Selection 16 Roy Miller, Texas OR Vance Walker, Georgia Tech
Round 6, Selection 15 Greg Isdaner - West Virginia
Round 7, Selection 14 Kaluka Maivia - USC

I know some will say that Unger wont be there in round 2 but Im banking on teams taking bigger more physical OL early leaving the versitle fleet footed Unger who is better suited for a ZB scheme still there at our pick.

I know that 3 LB's seems like overkill considering we just signed June and Davis in FA but neither are legitamate long term answers IMO. With an aggressive gap shooting front four we are going to have to have very aggressive physical LB's that are capable of making plays all over the feild. This physical style will no doubt lead to injuries so having solid depth will be paramount.

In fact I would say that LB is going to be the most important position on defense if we really are going to be a pressure defense.
Old 04-05-2009   #2
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 17475 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mussops Mock april 5th

Wow, if this draft was to work out in reality I think it would be the best we've had by far. Good job!

~ See ya'll @ the draft!
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009   #3
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

1. Matthews, NO.
2. Unger, I think he'll go earlier but if he's still there we run to the podium for this pick.
3. Jennings, good pick but I'd rather have Andre Brown if still available.
3. McKenzie, good pick in time he'll be a good SLB, he plays the run well but his pass coverage ability is lacking.
4. Harris, I'm tired of mid round CB's but if we did go CB here Mark Parson is better in man coverage.
4. Cook, CB/SS tweener, I'd rather have a better SS earlier but not a bad pick if still on the board.
5. Miller/Walker, I think we've got plenty of DT's.
6. Isdaner, good pick since they run the ZBS at WV.
7. Maiava, he's small and slow and we don't need another WLB.

Good picks at 2, 3a, 3b, 4b, and 6. 4a is ehhhh.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009   #4
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
1. Matthews, NO.
2. Unger, I think he'll go earlier but if he's still there we run to the podium for this pick.
3. Jennings, good pick but I'd rather have Andre Brown if still available.
3. McKenzie, good pick in time he'll be a good SLB, he plays the run well but his pass coverage ability is lacking.
4. Harris, I'm tired of mid round CB's but if we did go CB here Mark Parson is better in man coverage.
4. Cook, CB/SS tweener, I'd rather have a better SS earlier but not a bad pick if still on the board.
5. Miller/Walker, I think we've got plenty of DT's.
6. Isdaner, good pick since they run the ZBS at WV.
7. Maiava, he's small and slow and we don't need another WLB.

Good picks at 2, 3a, 3b, 4b, and 6. 4a is ehhhh.
I dont understand why Harris dont get more love than what he gets. The guy is a straight up playmaker. The way he tackles and comes up in run support is Daunte esk. I love the guy and if he is available in the 4th ill cry if we pass him. Especially for a guy that probably wont get drafted.

Dont know where you got Cook is a SS/ CB tweener. He never played CB that I know of. He is another palymaker to add to our backend. I want players that that create turnovers and who are solid tacklers.

We might have plenty of DT's but we were one of the worst teams in the NFL at stopping the run last year. The only thing we have changed so far is adding Smith a DE and Cody who hasnt really done a whole lot since coming into the NFL. Id like to see us add at least one more DT if for nothing else just to add more competition to to the mix. Both the player I suggested are high intensity types.
Old 04-06-2009   #5
Mari-OWNED!
Bucco Bruce

Rep Power: 4281 Mari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respected

No way Victor Harris drops to the 4th round. Most analysts have him taken in the 2nd round.
Mari-OWNED! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009   #6
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari-OWNED! View Post
No way Victor Harris drops to the 4th round. Most analysts have him taken in the 2nd round.
I have said for awhile now that I give Harris a second round grade but if you look at most mock drafts he is available in the fourth round in most of them. Even in our mock he lasted until the middle of the 3rd. For some reason he just doesnt get enough respect IMO.

I might also remind you that alot of the analysts said Eric Winston was a first round pick.
Old 04-10-2009   #7
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari-OWNED! View Post
Well he's a cover II CB. Now they say they are going to blitz more....so you're going to lock up this guy one on one...with his foot speed....for three seconds....with Reggie Wayne....there is only one way that little drama will play out. As much as you guys whined about Faggins...it's mind boggling to me that you'd go out of your way and draft another one.
Old 04-06-2009   #8
keyser
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19314 keyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
I know some will say that Unger wont be there in round 2 but Im banking on teams taking bigger more physical OL early leaving the versitle fleet footed Unger who is better suited for a ZB scheme still there at our pick.
If we end up with Unger, I'll be ecstatic. But, I don't expect him to make it out of the first round, myself, much less all the way to our second round pick. He's viewed (along with Mack) as one of the top two centers (not just for ZB schemes), and has the flexibility to play multiple positions on the line. Personally, I'd draft him directly after the trade-down in the first.
keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009   #9
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I really think we are going to end up tradding down 5 or 7 spots. This is my latest mock with that in mind.

2009 Picks:

I know that 3 LB's seems like overkill considering we just signed June and Davis in FA but neither are legitamate long term answers IMO. With an aggressive gap shooting front four we are going to have to have very aggressive physical LB's that are capable of making plays all over the feild. This physical style will no doubt lead to injuries so having solid depth will be paramount.

In fact I would say that LB is going to be the most important position on defense if we really are going to be a pressure defense.
If we hadn't signed June I think this would be an ideal draft for us. With his signing i think 3 LBs is too much. I'd rather take Caldwell OC, Alabama with our second third round pick. With that we'd have the OL topped off.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009   #10
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 56079 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

2009 Picks:

Here's my mock with your trade in mind... By the way, I agree that we need to trade down. Even if we don't get great value, let's do it! I'm actually going to add a 2nd trade down: with NE, we give them #20 and our 5th round pick and we get #34 and #47...

34. Sean Smith
46. Eric Wood/or Unger/or Mack
47. Cint Sintim
72. Rashod Jennings
77. Asher Allen
112. David Bruton
122. Terrence Taylor
6th. Javaris Williams
7th. Jeremiah Johnson

Sean Smith is a freakish athlete that can play CB or FS. Then we get a C/G combo to compete with Myers and provide much better depth than Kasey Studdard. Clint Sintim is an excellent football player than can play SLB or lineup at DE on pass downs. Rashod Jennings or Shonn Greene make a lot of sense as more of a short yardage option at RB. I think Asher Allen is an excellent CB prospect who can give us some flexibility with the Dunta situation. Then, David Bruton would be great as a SS that has enough speed to play over the top on occasion. Terrence Taylor can compete with Okam for a bigger DT to come in on short yardage. Javaris Williams has very good tools as an all-around RB. Jeremiah Johnson is more of a scat back and return guy that was very productive in college.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read